InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Second Best ❯ Seeing Is Believing? ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome sighed as their group walked along, having a mental debate with herself, for once exempt of the horrid little voice in her head.
But you love him…
But I can't stay here! He is driving me insane! Literally!
You have to stay… this world needs you…
Who cares!
You do…
She sighed. It was true. While she was beginning to have concerns about her sanity, she did care about this world, and the people in it. She couldn't just leave them to the mercy of Naraku.
“What's wrong, Kagome?” Sango inquired, looking concerned. Kagome had been sighing all day…
“Hm? Oh nothing, I'm just tired, that's all.” Kagome replied, giving a not very convincing yawn.
“Maybe we should stop and make camp.” Miroku suggested
“Monk, that is the first smart advice I've ever heard you give.” Sango agreed.
“But what about Inuyasha?” Kagome asked worriedly. Inuyasha had once again followed Kikyo's soul collectors, so now the group of four was moving on without him.
“He'll catch up. He can follow our smell, remember?” Shippo reassured her.
“Well alright, I suppose it couldn't hurt…” Kagome finally accepted. Then she gasped. “Oh no!”
There, in the middle of the clearing they had just entered, lay Inuyasha, his Cloak of the Fire Rat open, red blood staining his white undershirt. One of Kikyo's arrows protruded from his chest.
“No! No no no no no no no…” Kagome ran over to him and shook him. He didn't move.
“Kagome?” Sango questioned uneasily.
“What?” Kagome snapped, still trying to wake Inuyasha. Why weren't they helping? Couldn't they see that he was hurt? Maybe even… no she refused to think the word, though it seemed to hang in the air around him.
“No! Wake up!” She yelled, tears now running down her face. His cloak was fading now… wait. His cloak? His cloak was fading? Kagome blinked, and looked down at the thing she held in her arms. It was a bush.
“Wha…?” She asked dazedly. “Where did Inuyasha go?”
“He went after Kikyo, a couple hours ago…” Miroku replied, staring at her in concern.
“But he was just here! He was dead! He was the bush! He… he…” Kagome burst into tears.
“There, there, Inuyasha is fine; he'll burst into camp in an hour or so, wanting ramen.” Sango crooned, putting her arms around her sobbing friend. Kagome just cried, while Miroku, Sango, and Shippo exchanged worried glances.
 
“Kagome! Make me ramen!” Inuyasha said, pawing at her sleeve.
“Inuyasha! The water is boiling, just wait!”
“But I'm hungry now!” He whined
“Patience is a virtue…” She replied, watching the kerosene stove.
“Virtue, my ass!”
”Inuyasha… si-“ She stopped sharply.
“The stove!” She cried. It had caught on fire!
“Inuyasha! Don't just sit there, help me!” Kagome yelled, beating at the flaming ball.
“With what?” He was bewildered.
“The stove! The stove you idiot!”
“But… the stove is fine!”
Kagome looked at the stove again. It wasn't on fire. It was fine. She however wasn't.
“Ow!” She shrieked, becoming aware of the boiling water she had just spilled on herself.
What...? But the stove was on fire! You sure of that?