InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Closet ❯ TH3 4UTH0R'5 D34D ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CH4PT3R 9 - TH3 4UTHOR'5 D34D

No, I really am dead. I'm so tired and unfeeling well it's not even funny.

~*~UberAuthor~*~ As opposed to it being what? A barrel of monkeys?

Quiet, you. No interruptions during the disclaimer, which has become nothing more than a place to tell the readers or you what's really going on. Oh yeah, I'm using italics because… well `cause I can. Leave me alone… But seriously, no sleep and too much Tylenol make Sarah something something… See?! I hate the Simpsons but my head's so messed up that I'm quoting the frikkin show! Ooh! Yay! Tru Calling theme! Me love this song!

~*~UberAuthor~*~ Uh, D00d, j00r gr4mm4r…

Shut-up. Oh yeah, I was too lazy to post that poem so I'll' do it this chapter or the next.

The Actual Fic:

~*~UberAuthor~*~ Last week, on General Hospital…

~Me~ Shut-up. It's time we get back to the actual fic.

~*~UberAuthor~*~ Hey! What about revealing my super-secret identity?!

~Me~ No one cares.

~*~UberAuthor~*~ I cares!

~Me~ Who's grammar sucks now, eh?

~*~UberAuthor~*~ J00r's d035, D00d.

~Me~ You suck. Are you going to talk L33t the entire time?

~*~UberAuthor~*~ D4/\/\n 5+r4|g|-|+!

~Me~ She said "Damn straight!" for those of you who do not speak geek.

*Note: I speak geek ;)

~Me~ Fine, at the end of this fic I'll reveal your stupid true identity.

~*~UberAuthor~*~ 5\/\/33+!!

~Me~ She said sweet.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sango: How far is this village?

Miroku: The woman said that it was five miles to the next village. That's where Naraku was last seen.

Inu-Yasha: Yeah, well we'd better find him this time. I'm sick of this. I just want him and his stupid incarnations dead.

Kagome: I just want to get the Jewel Shard back.

Shippo: We still have a lot of them to collect, you know.

Miroku: Unfortunately, yes, there are many Shards that we still have yet to collect.

Sango: But the most important one is Naraku's possession. Once we obtain that Shard Naraku will be all too easy to kill.

Kagome: What do you mean? I thought he was already really powerful before he got the Shard.

Sango: He was powerful but we could have defeated him easily when he was without the Shard.

Inu-Yasha: *In slight annoyance.* Then why didn't we? I saw you pretty close to him. Why didn't you just kill him?

Kagome: Inu-Yasha! Sango wasn't strong enough then. She was still weak from… oh…

Sango: *Falsely cheerful.* No, I'm okay! It's alright!

Kagome: *Quietly to Inu-Yasha.* Sango's still worried about Kohaku… *Sadly.* I want her to be alright but the only way that's going to happen is if we free her brother from Naraku's control.

Inu-Yasha: *Whispering.* I know she's sad but she has to move on. She thought her brother was dead before and he's no different now. Now he's just a shell. She accepted his death once. Now all she has to do is accept it again.

Kagome: *Lost in thought.* But… you said it yourself. Inside Kohaku beats a human heart. He's still Kohaku; he still has Kohaku's heart and his soul…

Inu-Yasha: *Dismissively.* Hmm.

Shippo: Hey look! There's a village up ahead! In that valley! I can see the chimney smoke!

Miroku: But, it's only been two miles… The woman said it was five to the nearest village.

Shippo: She must have been wrong because, hey, there it is.

Sango: Wait… I know this place… This is Naraku's castle!

*Kagome, Inu-Yasha, Sango, Miroku, Shippo and Kirara stop and stare at the castle. All are very surprised to just come upon his castle when it was kept so hidden before.*

Shippo: Talk about Hidden Valley…

Inu-Yasha: *Recovering quickly.* Well, what are we waiting for? This is what we're looking for and we've found it so let's go. *Begins walking toward the shadowy castle but stops when he realizes he's alone.* Well? Aren't we going to do what we came here for? Are we going to kill Naraku or not?

Miroku: *Suspiciously.* I don't like this. Why would Naraku reveal his castle? Why now? Why would he expose his stronghold to us? He's expecting us. He knows that we're looking for him.

Sango: Whether it's a trap or not we have to go. No matter when we enter his castle we will be in danger. He will see us coming no matter what. Let's just end this now. Let's go kill him and get the Shard… *Under her breath.* Kohaku…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

*Inu-Yasha pushes open the gates of the castle's outer walls. The courtyard is deserted. Warily, the six companions enter the courtyard of Naraku's castle.*

Sango: Why is no one attacking us? This could be a diversion. We should be careful.

Miroku: There might be an ambush waiting for us inside…

Inu-Yasha: Stop. *Holds out arm to halt the others' advance.* I don't smell anything… I don't smell Naraku…

Miroku: What?! He's not here?

Kagome: *Uneasily.* We should go. This doesn't feel right…

Sango: Kagome's right. We should get out of here now!

*The friends turn and begin to run out of the courtyard but their escape is blocked by a lone figure, clad in white fur.*

Kagome: Naraku…?

Inu-Yasha: It can't be. I don't smell him.

Miroku: It may be one of his puppets.

Sango: *Under her breath.* … Kohaku…?

*The figure rips the cloak off and pulls out his demon-bone weapon.*

Sango: Kohaku! *Tears fill her eyes as she stares at her younger brother.* Kohaku, please! Fight Naraku! Don't let him control you!! *Runs toward Kohaku.*

Inu-Yasha: Sango! Don't! Come back here! Don't you remember what happened last time you tried to have some quality family time?? YOU ALL DIED!!

Miroku: SANGO!!

*Kohaku brandishes his weapon, ready to strike and kill the woman calling his name.*

Kohaku: *Thinking:* Wait! I remember! I remember her face! She was so nice to me!

*Kohaku falters as Sango approaches, trying to remember her name and why he feels so drawn to her.*

Kohaku: S… San… go? Sango? Sango! I remember! I remember who you are! Auhh! AAH! NO! NO! SANGO! *Kohaku collapses, crying as memories of his past flood his consciousness.* NO! What-what have I done?? No! FATHER!! *Kohaku slumps to the ground, his memories too much to handle.*

Sango: Kohaku, no! Get up! *Speeding up, Sango crashes to her knees beside her younger brother. She lifts his head and holds him in her arms, slowly swaying back and forth, tears flowing unchecked down her pale cheeks.* Please, wake up! Kohaku!

*Inu-Yasha hangs back, unsure of what to do but still suspicious. If this was Naraku's castle, then why was there no scent? And what would Naraku gain from giving Kohaku back to Sango? Would he still be able to control Kohaku, even with his memories having been restored? Miroku seemed to be considering these things too because he also kept his distance, hanging back with Shippo and Kirara. Kagome moved forward to comfort Sango.*

Kagome: Sango, we have to leave here. It isn't safe here. Kohaku may be in danger…

Sango: *Yelling, her voice choked and contorted with hate.* Naraku! Show yourself! Come now! Why will you not face me? Are you afraid of a female? A human? COME!!

Kagome: Sango, come on! *Grabs Sango's arm and tries to get her to stand.* Please, Sango! We have to go! This place could just disappear at any moment!

Sango: Kohaku…

*Inu-Yasha carries Kohaku out of the courtyard as Kagome and Miroku help Sango onto Kirara. Miroku mounts Kirara, holding Sango on and Kagome grabs Shippo as they flee the castle's walls. As they regain the cover of the trees, Inu-Yasha lays Kohaku down carefully on a bed of leaves. Sango leaps from Kirara's back and tends to her brother, her expression stony. Miroku, Inu-Yasha, Kagome, Shippo and Kirara give Sango and Kohaku their privacy.*

Kohaku: *Slowly awakening.* Sango? Oh, Sango, what have I done! I tried to kill you! And I killed Father! *Kohaku's tears begin anew.*

Sango: No Kohaku. That wasn't you! Naraku was controlling you! You have done nothing wrong! I will kill Naraku and prove that you are not capable of such horrendous deeds.

Kohaku: Naraku? Who is Naraku?

Miroku: Naraku only gave part of Kohaku's memory back! He has left the memories of himself and his castle locked away!

Inu-Yasha: So it is a trap!

Miroku: I don't think so, but it may be. We'll have to be very careful.

Inu-Yasha: I smell him!! It's Naraku's scent! It's so strong!

*The forest begins to change and shift until the companions find themselves within a large castle belonging to the demon Naraku.*

Shippo: Whoa, were those mushrooms magic? … Or poison…?

Miroku: Naraku's castle! It was a trap!

Naraku: *Laughs condescendingly.* Is everything that simple to you, monk? If it's not safe, it's a trap? How naïve of you.

Miroku: Why have you brought us here?!

*Kagome slowly slips an arrow from her quiver and notches it on her bow, readying herself to fire. Quickly, before anyone has the chance to act, Kagome looses to arrow, straight at Naraku's heart. Well, straight at where his heart would be if it existed. Being too slow to dodge it, the arrow grazes Naraku's shoulder.*

Naraku: I shall you last and painfully slowest of all, Wench, for ever daring to face me!

Inu-Yasha: You won't touch her!

Miroku: The Shard! He dropped it!

*Shippo dodges between Naraku and Kagome and snatches up the Jewel Shard before Naraku realizes he'd even dropped it.*

Sango: Let's see you fight all of us off now that you have no Shard! HIRAIKOTSU! *Sango's boomerang speeds toward Naraku, who dodges it with mere seconds to spare.*

Inu-Yasha: *Drawing his sword, Inu-Yasha wields the Tetsusaiga single-handedly, gaining strength in his attempts to protect Kagome.* TETSUSAIGA!!! *Inu-Yasha charges at Naraku, missing him by inches.*

*Kagome draws another arrow aiming for Naraku's chest. Loosing it, Naraku's arm is pierced through and disintegrates. Kohaku suddenly recognizes Naraku, shedding the effects of his spells now that the Shard is no longer in his possession. Miroku draws several ofudas and attempts to paralyse Naraku unsuccessfully.*

Sango: HIRAIKOTSU! *Sango releases the weapon, nearly beheading Naraku. Undaunted, Naraku ducks beneath the speeding missile and strikes at Sango, slashing her across her abdomen. Sango falls, clutching her wound in shock.*

Kohaku: NOOOOOO!! *Kohaku barrels into Naraku, embedding his weapon in Naraku's neck. Shocked by his own strength, Kohaku steps away from the lifeless, headless body.* Sango! Sango are you alright?! *Kohaku kneels gently by his sister's side, inspecting her wound, concern evident on his face.*

Sango: *Weakly.* Kohaku don't worry, I'll be alright. Let's just get out of here.

Kagome: Sango, let Inu-Yasha carry you.

*Inu-Yasha carefully lifts Sango and transports her out of the castle. Kohaku follows immediately behind. Kagome and Miroku stay behind to confirm that Naraku had truly been killed. Shippo and Kirara keep watch for any possible danger.*

Miroku: Well, it certainly wasn't a puppet. But how could Kohaku kill him?

Kagome: Maybe Naraku really was weaker without the Shard. Also he knows all of our fighting styles and weapons but he's never fought Kohaku.

Miroku: But that doesn't make any sense. He was controlling Kohaku; one would think that Naraku would have at least a general idea of how Kohaku does battle.

Kagome: Maybe he underestimated Kohaku's strength when it comes to Sango. Kohaku was remembering all of the horrible things Naraku made him do. Maybe he wanted revenge. Maybe he wanted to kill Naraku for what he did to his family and himself…

Miroku: Well, whatever the reason, we should not linger here. Whether Naraku is dead or not his incarnations still… wait, Naraku used the Jewel Shard to create those incarnations. If he's dead, have they all perished?

Kagome: Well, I don't know. The Shard wasn't destroyed so maybe they're still alive… Or maybe they're like his puppets, Naraku made a representation of each of them. If the representation is destroyed, so are they, and vice versa.

Miroku: Vice versa?

Kagome: Nevermind. We have to go see if we can find their symbols and destroy them.

Miroku: Alright. Kirara, go with Kagome. Shippo, come with me.

*Miroku and Kagome part and leave in opposite directions, searching for whatever gives Kagura and the rest their life.*

Kagome: Let's look in here, Kirara. *Kagome pushes a large, black door open and takes a quick survey of the room before entering. Kirara follows protectively.* It doesn't look like there's anything in here… *Looks up on a small shelf near the ceiling.* Kirara, can you give me a boost? I want to see what's on that shelf. *Kirara allows Kagome to stand on her back as she inspects the contents of the shelf.* Kirara, look what I found. These might be what we're looking for! Let's go find Miroku. *Kagome and Kirara leave the dark room and look for Miroku.*

Miroku: *Yelling from another part of the castle.* Kagome! Come here! Hurry!

Kagome: Oh no! It sounds like he's in trouble! Come on, Kirara! *Kagome leaps onto Kirara's back as she bounds down the hallway towards Miroku's voice.* Miroku?! Where are you?!

Miroku: In here! Come quick!

*Kirara turns sharply into the room from which Miroku's voice was emanating seconds ago. Kagome dismounts and rushes to Miroku's side.*

Miroku: I think something is very wrong here…

*Kohaku is hanging chained to a wall, unmoving.*

Kagome: Oh my goodness… Kohaku? *Kagome approaches the limp form tentatively yet apprehensively.* Kohaku, are you alright? *Kagome reaches out and touches Kohaku's arm hoping to wake him up, or at least confirm what her eyes are seeing. Kohaku's body remains motionless.* Miroku, is this Kohaku? What about the Kohaku out there?

Miroku: Kagome, go quickly and warn Inu-Yasha and Sango!

Kagome: Okay. *Kagome mounts Kirara and races out to where Inu-Yasha brought Sango.* Inu-Yasha!!

Inu-Yasha: Kagome?! What's wrong?! Are you hurt?!

Kagome: *Slightly out of breath.* No, I'm fine but I need to talk to you.

Inu-Yasha: O-okay…

Kagome: *Quietly to Inu-Yasha:* Miroku and I decided to stay back and find out if Naraku was really dead. He was but then we thought about his incarnations and wondered if they were like Naraku's puppets so we began searching the castle for their dolls. Miroku found Kohaku.

Inu-Yasha: *Somewhat confused.* But, Kohaku's right there.

Kagome: Miroku thinks it may be a trap and that we should keep and eye on Sango and Kohaku.

Inu-Yasha: But Kohaku doesn't smell like a demon, he has a human scent. And with Naraku dead there's no way he can control Kohaku through the Shard. Also, we have the Shard.

*Kagome and Inu-Yasha are deep in thought trying to decipher who's who and what's what. At the same moment, the two seem to understand.*

Kagome and Inu-Yasha: Miroku!

Inu-Yasha: The trap is back at the castle! Stay here with Sango and Kohaku; I'm going back for Miroku!

Kagome: *Concerned.* Okay, but take Kirara, she knows which room he's in.

Inu-Yasha: Alright.

*Inu-Yasha and Kirara tear through the forest and through the castle's courtyard. Kirara leads Inu-Yasha to the room where Miroku was last.*

Inu-Yasha: Miroku! This is the trap! That's not Kohaku!

Miroku: What?! *Miroku backs away in alarm, watching the chained figure suspiciously.* How do you know?

Inu-Yasha: His scent. He smelled like a human, not a demon so he wasn't Naraku in disguise. He wasn't a puppet because he had a scent, the puppets have none. And you said yourself that Naraku's dead so he couldn't possibly be controlling Kohaku with the Shard which we have by the way.

Miroku: Then what's this?

Inu-Yasha: *Sniffs the air.* It has no scent… Did you check its back for Naraku's scar?

Miroku: No, I did not.

Inu-Yasha: I will. *Grabbing the replica of Kohaku, Inu-Yasha turns him around and lifts the back of his shirt.* No, there's no scar.

*The body suddenly comes alive, grabbing Inu-Yasha throat as he turns back around.*

Miroku: Inu-Yasha! Hang on! *Miroku draws and ofuda and attaches it to Kohaku's head. The grip on Inu-Yasha's throat lessens and Inu-Yasha pulls away.*

Inu-Yasha: There's no way a human could be that strong! So, what do we do?

Miroku: I don't know. Are we sure it's not Sango's brother?

Inu-Yasha: Okay, I'm getting a headache. Let's just kill it and hope it's the right one.

Miroku: Inu-Yasha, we can't do that. What if we accidentally kill Sango's younger brother?

Inu-Yasha: Fine, I'll solve the problem. *Inu-Yasha disappears and returns swiftly with Kagome.* Is there a shard in this thing's back?

Miroku: Of course! That was very clever Inu-Yasha!

Kagome: *Examines Kohaku's back, trying to locate the Shard that should be there if he truly is Kohaku.* Nothing. No Shard. It can't be Kohaku.

Miroku: How can you be sure?

Kagome: The removal of that Shard would have killed Kohaku but this body was still alive. This can't be Kohaku.

Inu-Yasha: Good enough for me. *Inu-Yasha strikes, severing the fake's head from its torso.*

Kagome: *Shaken.* I'm going back to Sango. I know it wasn't Kohaku but it looked like him. It looked like he was killed.

Inu-Yasha: *Putting his arm comfortingly around Kagome.* It's okay. Everything will be alright.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~*~UberAuthor~*~ F|/\/4LLY!! /\/0\/\/ [4/\/ \/\/3 R3\/34L /\/\Y 5|_|P3R-53[R3+ |D3/\/+|+Y?!?!

~Me~ Translation: Finally! NOW can we reveal my super-secret identity?!?!* Answer: *Annoyed.* Fine.

~*~UberAuthor~*~ |-|4! | 4/\/\ +|-|3 4|_|+|-|0R'5 [0/\/5[|3/\/[3!!

~Me~ Translation: HA! I am the author's conscience!!* I fear for my safety if THAT'S my conscience… Alrighty, next chapter, I've decided, will NOT be a recap. I don't think there's much to recap. Oh, and yes, Naraku is dead and Inu-Yasha did NOT kill the real Kohaku. Also, just because Naraku's dead doesn't mean there won't be more evil coming their way. Oh yeah, next chapter, the stuff Kagome found will be explained. I wanted this chapter to be mainly about Kohaku and Sango so I decided to leave that for later.

Credits:

~ I apologize to all of you who submitted answers to the trivia contest in the form of reviews. The site won't allow me to access them. From now on, please e-mail all answers to me at: Kagome_The_Little_Ally_Of_Justice@hotmail.com

If you've already submitted a review with your answer, please copy and paste it into an e-mail with the date you sent it and the Chapter number.

~ I apologize, Aeryn, I know you didn't get to huggle Miroku in this chapter but I felt that the mood was too serious for random huggling. I promise you'll huggle him in the next chapter.

~ There will be no quote contest this chapter due to my total lack of organization and ability to read the reviews with your answers.

~ ttfn!

P.S. Holy Oh My Goodness!! WOW! This is the longest fic I've written so far! It's 12 pages long on Word! *GASPETH!* NEW RECORD!! Represent, Yoh!

P.P.S. I just realized something else. This is the first time the title's had absolutely NOTHING to do with the rest of the fic. Originally, I was supposed to go on sabbatical and let the UberAuthor take over for this chapter but I guess I was inspired… Bet you're happy. Oh yeah, I DO NOT APPRECIATE PEOPLE TELLING ME HOW TO WRITE THIS FIC. IF YOU ARE ANNOYED BY THE LACK OF PLOT FOR THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS STOP READING. I DON'T CARE! THIS FIC WAS STARTED BY ME, FOR ME. I STARTED THIS FIC BECAUSE I HAD A FUNNY IDEA FOR A FANFIC. I WASN'T PLANNING ON CONTINUING SO TAKE WHAT YOU CAN GET!! IF YOU WANT A STORYLINE FOR EVERY CHAPTER EITHER READ ANOTHER FIC OR WRITE YOUR OWN!! Thanks for letting me get that out of my system! It's been bugging me for weeks! Okee dokee! Now it's 13 pages so I'd better quit while I'm ahead. Yes, I am aware that my hair is big.