InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unworthy One ❯ Chapter 20 - The Unexpected... ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
**Not for Kikyou Lovers! This story contains violence, sexual content and rape! You are WARNED**

Disclaimer: I do now own Inuyasha, nor any of the associated characters. But it ain't because I don't want or wish to do so.

----------------------
Please accept my most sincerely apologies for the delay in posting this chapter. As I had originally only had 16 chapters to this story, it was unexpected that a number of requests would result in a total rewrite of the last two chapters of the story. Now it is 21 chapters long, instead of the original 16, thanks to the many eager, and happy reviewers who have been a wealth of both ideas, and encouragement in the writing of the 'Unworthy One'.

The chapter below is not the most exciting of the lot, but it does bring together most of the loose ends, while bringing a few others to light. It also, brings a few 'Unexpected' twists to resolving a number of things in this tale, that I have never seen used in quite this way before. I hope that you all enjoy it, nevertheless.

---------------------


Chapter 20 - The Unexpected...


Despite his impatience, it only took Sango and Inuyasha a few extra moments to get their clothes back on. It actually took a bit more time, just to find where Sango had left her kimono, having left it in the nearby forest when they had first started their.....uhm.....little stress relieving encounter. Clothes on, weapons back where they belonged, the two quickly made their way back to Kaede's on the otherside of the village.

Their excitement was palatable, and they soon had a following of curious villagers and onlookers trailing behind them. By the time they got to Kaede's a short time later, it looked like the entire village was waiting outside to see what had made their favorite, neighborhood hanyou so excited.

"Oi...Baba...where the hell are you?" yelled an excited hanyou as he charged into the hut, practically dragging Sango through the door. "Come on grannie...I know you are around here somewhere. I ain't got time to waste."

About this time, Kaede came into the main room of the hut. She had been in the small back room that she used for storing the many herbs, and medicinals that she kept on hand.

"What do ye need of me, Inuyasha?" she spoke. Noticing his excitement, she gave him a curious look. It didn't go unnoticed by the old eye that he was holding Sango's hand rather possessively, nor did the old miko miss that Sango seemed quite content to leave her hand where it was. "What has gotten ye so excited?"

"Kikyou told me long ago," he said, more excited than he had been in a long time, "that she believed that if a wish was made on the jewel, it would probably cease to exist."

"Hai, Inuyasha," said Kaede, "She did say that."

"As far as you know," he asked, "are there any rules that say that only one person can make the final wish?"

"Nay! To the best of my knowledge," said Kaede a bit confused by his question, "my sister only said that 'a wish', however, for the jewel to finally disappear and the souls within be put to rest, must be absolutely pure. Even the slightest bit of selfishness behind the desired wish, will taint the jewel and start everything all over again."

"Good, then we can do it," he said excitedly, looking at everyone in the room. When no one seemed to understand, he spoke up again. "We can all make Kagome better again. We can give her back her voice, and heal all of her wounds."

The looks he got, were like he had holes in his head, as everyone gave him a look of sympathy and pity. Miroku stood from his seat by the door, and walked calmly up to the hanyou, holding out his hand trying to hide an ofuda as he moved closer to try to place it. Much to his surprise, he suddenly found himself sitting down on the floor where he had just been standing. A red faced Taijiya staring down at him.

"Iie," she growled at him, "hear him out before you move houshi-sama."

"Listen," Inuyasha said, trying again impatiently, "we have all been overlooking one important fact. The Shikon no Tama."

"But the jewel no longer exists you baka hanyou," spoke up Kouga.

"That is not quite true," came the rather stoic, but interested reply from Sesshomaru, his mate still held tightly to his chest. Her breathing was shallow, but steady however, her heart beat was more erratic than it had been the night before. Though it didn't show on the Taiyoukai's face, he was worried for Kagome's health. He was open to any suggestion, no matter how outrageous if it meant that he could save her life.

"The soul of Midoriko said that the jewel had merely fused with Kagome's body. In fact," he stated, unable to keep the trace of excitement from his own voice, as he caught on to Inuyasha's train of thought, "when the jewel granted Kagome's wish that you all be brought back to life, Midoriko specifically stated that it was being given to Kagome as her gift to the Guardian of the Jewel. She made it clear that it was not the final wish of the Shikon no Tama, but her personal gift to Kagome, by Midoriko's own choice."

"So the last wish for the jewel has not yet been used," stated a now excited Shippo. "We can all wish Kagome back."

"Hai, we can," stated Miroku. He too, picking up on the excitement, as understanding spread throughout the hut like wildfire. "But we must all remember that our wish for her, must be for the purest of reasons. There must not be the slightest selfishness in the wish, or it will back fire and we will leave the door open to the same evil that started over fifty five years ago."

"But how can we all do that?" asked Ginta, "I mean, isn't wishing that 'nee-san was well and could be with us selfish?"

"Hai," spoke up Kaede, "Ye are quite right. To wish for Kagome to be better, because you want her to be here for ye, would be an act of selfishness."

"Then why don't we all just wish for Kagome," spoke up Rin, wondering why everyone thought this was so difficult a thing, "to get better for Kagome?"

Everyone stopped for a moment, thinking about what the young girl had said. Once again, the wisdom of the innocent provided the answer that they had all been too close to see.

"I get it," Kouga spoke up. "Like, if I were to wish for Kagome to get better because I want her for myself, it would be a selfish wish."

"Hai," said Hakkaku, "but if we were to wish for Kagome to get better for herself, it would not be selfish."

"Or even if we were to wish for Kagome to get better for her pup," spoke up Shippo.

"Hai," was Sango's excited reply. The excitement was spreading like wildfire as the nearest villagers outside caught on to what everyone in the hut was saying. Soon they all understood what was going on, and were hanging in anticipation of seeing what was going to happen next. Was there a way to help the little Miko, who had come to mean so much to them all?

The village headman and his wife soon had their heads put together, and from there the word quickly spread. From father to son, mother to daughter, brother to sister, husband to wife, passing acquaintance, to passing acquaintance, stranger to stranger. The entire village and all of the visitors soon knew of the plans for helping the little Miko. The unique, powerful, and loved little onna from the future, who had risked life and limb to destroy the vile Naraku, helping everyone there in one way or another by her own sacrifice.

Shortly thereafter, a small contingent of representatives approached the old miko's hut. As it was far too small a space for all of those already there, the small group of newcomers, consisting of the village headman, the man in charge of the village sentry, the chief carpenter, the master gardener, and the headman's wife, along with a couple of men, who stood as representatives of those who were visiting, and Inuyasha's group, including Sesshomaru, who reluctantly agreed to bring Kagome outside so that all might see her, gathered in the small clear space in front of Kaede's hut.

"We have all heard what you are all talking about," spoke up the headman, "and we have all," he stated waving his arms to include everyone standing around the small group, "decided that we want to help."

"Iie...." came a sudden holler from the back of the group of people, "Not without fair representation for everyone here."

A gasp of surprise spread throughout the group, as a small group of youkai and hanyou stepped forward. They were a mixed group covering just about all walks of youkai, high, low and in-between. Even more surprising was the enormous, wide eyed hanyou that led the little group.

"We too, have reason to wish the good health of the little Miko," spoke up Jinenji. He had heard that Kagome, his first ever ningen friend, had suffered serious injuries, and hardship. So with his mother's leave, he had come to visit her, hoping that some of his herbs and healing skills might aid his little friend in getting better again.

"It is only right that we be permitted to take part in this as well," he stated firmly, showing that they would not brook any argument on this matter.

Surprisingly, before anyone could protest, Inuyasha stepped forward and greeted the familiar and kind hanyou. "Kagome would be happy to see you here, Jinenji. You are all welcome here."

With her first words, a hush fell about the entire group, as Kaede spoke up, "Hai, and Kagome's heart would be warmed to know that all of ye have a desire for her well being. But ye all must keep in mind that this wish cannot be for personal reasons. It has to be perfectly pure for this to work. But a world of warning. As the jewel is now fused with her body, a selfish wish could kill her."

There was a general murmur of understanding that swept the entire gathering. With that acknowledgement, Inuyasha and gang, along with Kohaku, Kouga, Ginta, Hakkaku, Rin, and Sesshomaru, who still held Kagome to his heart, gathered around the unconscious girl. Even Kirara and Ah-Un joined the group.

To make it easier for what they wanted to do, it was unconsciously decided that only those closest to her would actually touch her. So Sesshomaru sat down, in the center of the group, as each of the others reached a hand, paw, or tail out to touch the little Miko.

The remainder of the gathered people, ningen, hanyou, and youkai alike, stood in a huge circle around the small group. Each one closed their eyes, thinking of the young Miko. Each let the thoughts run through their head as to why she should be given her health and allowed to live a happy life in this era.

-------------------

"I have lost my father, and my mother. She has come to be a friend, a sister, and now my new mama. Kagome was willing to give her life up that I might be alive right now. It is my turn to offer my life for mama. Please bring her back, for herself, and for her pup,'" was a little kit's wish.

"Shippo doesn't have any parents. Just like me. It is lonely not having a father or a mother to hold and love. But I got a new father, and Shippo got a new mother. Please, let Kagome-sama live for Shippo and for the new little brother or sister that she carries," came the sorrowful wish of a young girl.

"We never knew a ningen like our nee-san, until Kouga brought Kagome to our den. Even though he had taken her against her will, and we didn't treat her the best we could have when we first met her, she still risked her life to help us. We would give all that we are, and all that we have, if only it would bring back our nee-san. Not for our sakes, but for her own, and for her pup. Even if it meant that we might never see her again," came the empassioned plea of two ookami youkai.

"I have always known Kagome to be a brave, beautiful, and amazing soul. She faced danger unflinchingly when it came to helping others, especially if she thought she could do something to save those she loved. Her remedies from her home, helped to save my life more than once. It would be selfish of me not to offer all that I have, including my life, for her to live for her mate, for her pup, and for herself," was a houshi's request.

"All of my family, all of my people would be gone right now, if it were not for Kagome. I would not even be here, if it were not for her. Many times it was her that made a diffence. Many times it was her unselfish giving of herself that brought us all back safely. She even gave me back my little brother, the last of my family and people. Onegai, let her live. I would give up all that I am, even my life, to give her back that which she has lost. She deserves so much, and has suffered as much a any of us, if not more," was a Taijiya's hope.

"These old bones have come to think of this child of nature, as the granddaughter that I might have had, if my life had been different. She is the most selfless, compassionate, caring, and pure soul, it has ever been my blessing to meet. Onegai, if it would make a difference in the plea that we all make of ye today, Midoriko-sama, take what it left of the life of this old miko that the girl might live for herself, her pup, and her mate," Kaede spoke.

"The first time I met Kagome, was to kidnap her for my own selfish desires. I recognized her special ability to see the jewel shards, but later recognized her strength of character, her pure and caring heart, and her willingness to stand proud and brave if it meant protecting those that she loved. I would still desire to have her as my woman, but alas, that is not meant to be. Before all here, I Kouga, Prince of the Ookami Tribes, state that if it would mean bringing Kagome back, even for her mate, though that is not me, I would give up my position as leader, and my life that she might live," was the surprising plea of an Ookami Prince.

"Expressing words of this kind is not easy for one such a I. She challenged me, stood up to me, defied me like no other, faced me even in fear. Not fear for herself, but fear for her friends and those she loves. I have never known such as she. She is my mate, and bares my pup, but I would give all that up, even if it meant giving her to someone else. For her sake, not my own, give her life," stated the ever stoic Western Lord, although everyone present could hear the words that he left unspoken.

"The first time I met her, I accused her of being Kikyou and I tried to kill her. She had released me from the prison of Kikyou's arrow. She taught me to trust again, to feel again. She showed me friendship, although I didn't deserve it. She offered me love, though I foolishly pushed her away. She sacrificed everything she had, and all that she was, for me. As I was prepared to do for Kikyou, I am now proud to offer for Kagome. I would willingly spend the rest of eternity wandering the Seven Levels of Hell, if it would give her back her life. Onegai! Shikon no Tama, though we are all selfish in our desire to keep her among us, give her back her health and life, not because we ask it of you, but because it is what she deserves as the Guardian of the Jewel," was a hanyou's plea.

"She came among us by magic that we still do not understand. She didn't see us as upper, or lower class. She didn't see us as something to be looked down upon. She saw us a people. Though she didn't know us, it was her willingness to sacrifice herself that saved our village and our people more than once. It would be ashamed if this world lost her now. She is young and deserves to live. Onegai, give her back her life for her mate, for her pup, for her family, and for her friends," was the plea for the villagers voiced by the headman.

"She cared not that our blood was not ningen. She cared not that we saw the world differently. She neither saw us as stronger, or weaker. She only saw us. Saw us a equals, and as people. She didn't fear us, or condemn us. She stood up in the name of justice for us. Onegai, hear us now, the hanyou and youkai whose lives she has touched, and give her life as she was meant to have," spoke the sad but kind eyed Jinenji.

---------------------------

The last plea came with the last ray of the setting sun, as it seemed to unexpectedly flare and kiss the face of the little Miko, lying in the arms of her mate. At the first touch of the bright ray of light, the young onna began to glow. Brighter and brighter the light became, until the entire area was filled with a blinding blue white light. Moments later, is faded a bit, but never quite died out.

In the center of the glow, hovering above the heads of the Inuyasha pack, was the most beautiful and powerful warrior priestess that anyone had ever seen. She seemed ageless, and yet old. Appeared to be the epitome of wisdom, and the innocence of youth. Her long, flowing, locks of raven black hair, wreathed about her form, almost like the wings of an angel. She wore armour and bore a sword, both of which seemed to have come from a different time. As she continued to hover above all of the heads turned her way, hushed whispers broke out among the crowd, as the figure seemed to turn in place and gaze out at all of the gathered faces.

It seemed like the glowing eyes, peering out from the regal face, was gazing deep into the souls of each and every person that was there. She said nothing for the longest time, only turned and stared into each face. She didn't show any difference toward ningen, hanyou, or youkai. It was like they were all just people, accepted for who and what they were, not what they might become or what kind of blood was predominant in their veins. As she looked out upon the gathered crowd, it was like she was searching for something, but each person she looked at, seemed to show her something different.

For a long time, she just stared at the gathered throng, neither speaking or acknowledging a single soul there. Finally, her eyes came to rest upon the small group that surrounded the unconscious Miko below her. The intensity of her gaze boring into their very souls. Each at first flinched from the strength of that questioning gaze. Each ashamed to look upon her countenance, afraid that she would find the darkness in their own hearts, or their underlying selfish desire to keep the one person who meant the most to all of them, in their lives. But as each considered this thought passing through their anxious minds, one by one, they each turned back to meet her gaze unflinchingly and with pride.

Suddenly, she smiled. It was a warm and brilliant smile that warmed the hearts and the souls of all who looked upon her. Time seemed to come to a stop, and all held their breath awaiting the judgement that they knew was about to be delivered.

"This is certainly a most unique way to make the final wish on the Shikon no Tama," spoke the voice of Midoriko. She turned and looked down at the Taiyoukai. "So we meet again, son of Sugimi-sama. You have done well, with our Chosen Guardian, and we are much pleased."

Sesshomaru bowed his head in acknowledgement of her words. She was no stranger to the Youkai Lord, who remembered well their last visit.

"Midoriko-sama," he said in greeting.

"Inuyasha, youngest son, hanyou of the Great and Terrible Inu no Taisho, Sugimi," she spoke, turning to look at the hanyou. "You have presented quite the challenge to us over the years. For the most part, you have conducted yourself well, and despite your tendency to be a bit blind to what is around you, you have grown strong and bare a good heart. Your father would be proud."

"Arigato, Midoriko-sama," he said in an awed whisper.

"We wonder, however," she continued talking to the hanyou, "why it is that you have chosen to not make the one wish that has driven you the most all of these years? Why do you not still wish to be a full youkai, like your brother?"

"Because Kagome would not wish it," he spoke without thought or hesitation.

"And you," she said, persisting, "what would you wish?"

Inuyasha paused for a moment, thinking about her question. But the answer was simple, far more simple that he had realized it would be.

"I wish to repay the debt that I owe to the one I hurt the most," he stated.

"Is that because you hope to gain her forgiveness for your actions," Midoriko asked, "or because you are truly sorry for your ill thought deeds?"

"I would hope to earn her forgiveness," he began, "but whether she gives it to me or not, is her choice. I only wish for her to live that I might at least have the chance to give back, what I took so carelessly."

Midoriko just stared that the hanyou, looking deeply into his eyes. Inuyasha fidgeted beneath that all seeing gaze. Did he want Kagome back for himself? Was he really making the wish for her, and not for himself? Yes, he did want her to live, and to be there to try to make up for all the wrongs that he had done to her. But what of Kagome? Should she not have the chance at life that she had asked for all of them?

At that question, Inuyasha sat up straight, his hand still on Kagome's arm, where he had put it before they began to make the wish. He looked back at Midoriko unflinchingly, letting her see deep into his soul, the truth in his heart.

"I have been a fool for a long time. I have been blind, by my own choice," he stated, letting all hear his words. "I took the gifts that I was given for granted, and when I should have been grateful, I was disrespectful and cruel.

Onegai! If you find even the suspicion of selfishness in my wish for Kagome to live, then I offer my life in exchange for hers. I once offered to go to hell with Kikyou, because I truly believed that she loved me, and I her. But I was wrong," he continued. "This, however, I know. Kagome cared for me. Cared enough to show me the things in life that counted the most. Courage, strength, wisdom, and love. I am to blame for the pain that she suffered, it is only right that I repay her in kind. I offer myself, my life for hers."

Before Midoriko could say another word, a voice spoke up from the watching throng.

"If Inuyasha's life is foreit, then I offer mine as well," spoke up Kouga.

Almost in unison, and without the slightest hesitation, two ookami added their voice, "as do we, ours. Our lives for nee-san's," said Ginta and Hakkaku.

"I can do no less than the others," spoke up Miroku. "I owe her more than my life. It is yours to take in exchange for hers."

"And mine as well," said Sango, holding Inuyasha's hand.

"And mine," said Shippo.

"Take mine, too," Rin said.

"Ye know that ye may take mine," spoke up Kaede.

"If Aneue is willing to give up her life," Kohaku said, "for her friend, then accept mine as well."

Two growls were heard from the group, as Kirara and Ah-Un let their voices be heard with the others.

"My life is nothing if she doesn't live. She has shown me just how lonely my existance has been," spoke a stoic voice, "I can do no less than the others. My life for hers."

In one's, two's, and gradually in larger groups, everyone in the watching crowd added their voice to the group.

"Take my life for hers!"

"Mine is forfeit!"

"And mine!"

"She gave my son back his life. It is only right that I give mine in exchange."

Everyone, young, old, healthy, sick, men, women, children, ningen, hanyou, and youkai. All offered their lives for the life of the little Miko, who had risked her own life to defeat the evil that had touched their lives for so many years. She had brought light, to the darkness, and joy, where only sorrow ruled. Hope to the hopeless, and comfort to those in need. Most didn't know her, except by rumour and reputation, and at that moment that was all that mattered.

"This too, was unexpected," Midoriko spoke after silence once again wrapped itself around the gathered faces. "Well! It seems, Inuyasha that you have almost as many supporters as Kagome. This counts for much in your favor and hers. Although hers has never really been in question."

Speaking up for all to hear more clearly, "This is truly a remarkable event. Never has so much love, from so many hearts, been gathered in one place, and offered so freely for the sake of one soul. It weighs much in favor of the rightness of your request. Your willingness to sacrifice yourselves for her life, speaks well of her own sacrifices, and that they didn't go unnoticed."

Again, Midoriko paused, a frown shadowing her pleasant features. "The real issue here, is not how many are making the wish, however, but whether or not there is a risk of tainting the jewel once more. Kagome has sacrificed much to purify the evil in the jewel, and I am not one to want to see it tainted again, because of misguided selfish intentions."

Inuyasha's ears drooped, and he hung his head. "Then this was all for nothing. We have failed...I have failed her yet again."

Sango turned to look directly at the glowing figure hanging there before them, "With all of the lives that Kagome has touched, can you honestly blame any of us for wanting to see her live among us? Yes, it is selfish, but it is honest. You are hardly better than Naraku was." It was more than obvious that the Taijiya was angry, as it showed in the words that she spoke.

Midoriko actually chuckled at that statement. "You would compare me to that vile hanyou?"

"Hai, I would and am," Sango yelled at the form of the ancient warrior, not caring that her anger was so apparent. "You claim to have seen and know so much about what Kagome has sacrificed for the sake of all of us, and for the purity of the Shikon no Tama. But you do not seem to remember the one thing that Kagome has always lived by. Her right to feel. She was tested in so many ways, by more than one individual. Even Naraku tried to taint her soul. But his attempt failed, not because she was not sad, or angry, or hurt. She was. Kagome yelled, argued, desired, and got mad just as freely as the rest of us.

Naraku tried once to find the darkness in her soul, in her heart. It took a lot of doing, but he did find it. But the reason that he was not able to taint her soul, was not because she didn't have that bit of darkness that he found, but because she accepted that small dark side of herself as being a natural part of who she was. She told me about it, how she was hurt because of Inuyasha and Kikyou. But she admitted that she knew when she chose to stay with him that it would hurt," firmly stated an angry Taijiya.

"But she never denied herself the right to feel that pain, or the anger that she always felt when she knew that Inuyasha was going to Kikyou. As she said, she only felt those things because she loved him. Loved him and cared what happened to him," Sango cried.

"Midoriko-sama," spoke up Miroku, "we mean no disrespect, but what Sango says is true. Whether we are ningen, hanyou, or youkai, feelings are just as much a part of who we are as your purity is a part of you. Is it not true that there is a dark side to everyone? Is it not true that what makes us truly what we are, is knowing that we are all a mix of darkness and light, and that the true path is finding the balance between the two?"

"We have all lost something, too," spoke up Shippo, tears streaming down his face at the thought of losing Kagome. Rin put a comforting hand on the little kit's shoulder. "Is it any wonder that we are all selfish in our wish to love her and not lose Kagome?"

"Midoriko-sama," a sad and confused looking Rin looked up at the figure above her, "does what you say mean that Shippo and I are bad?"

"Why, whatever do you mean, child?" asked the regal figure the frown of confusion, deepening on her face as she spoke to the young child facing her.

"We all want to see Kagome-sama live. Each of us for our own reasons," Rin spoke, "but all of us because we love her. Shippo, just like me, lost both of his parents. We both loved our fathers and mothers. We both would wish to have them back so that we could love them again, and be loved by them. Are we bad, because we would want that? Are we evil because we both would like to see Kagome-sama live and be the mother we both no longer have?"

Midoriku just hung there for a time. Long moments passing, each feeling like an etermity to those watching. She seemed to be considering the words of the two children before her, both of whom she still gazed upon. She turned and looked at the houshi, and the Taijiya. She looked at the stoic Taiyoukai, who still held the unconscious onna to his chest, like a treasured jewel he was afraid to lose, knowing that he would never openly amidt such to anyone, but his actions more than showing the unspoken emotions. The Ookami Prince and his pack brothers, all sitting there almost holding their breath wondering if the sister they had come to love, would be permitted to live, or if they would lose another member of the pack that had already lost so much. It didn't matter that she never lived with them, just that she was alive, and well.

Finally, she turned back to Inuyasha, who still hung his head in both sorrow and shame. He, too, has suffered much. Somethings because of his own blind sidedness, but also many things that he had not asked for or deserved.

"While it was my purity that created the jewel," she spoke finally, "in the first place, it is also true that it was my love that permitted me to do so. Perhaps I have forgotten that in order to feel the love, we have to also know of the hate. In order to see the good, we need to accept the evil. Without the dark, there can be no light.

She continued, "Perhaps we have been locked away in the jewel for too long, and have forgotten what it means to truly feel. Yes, I do believe that just might be the case. Perhaps we have set our standards too high over the centuries. Perhaps we are no longer worthy enough to truly judge the good and the bad."

Midoriko seemed to have lost focus on the group around her, and with her last words, her image seemed to just slowly fade away from sight. As the bright light disappeared along with her image, the hopeful faces of the gathered people seemed to fade with it. Had they done something wrong? Had their wish not been pure enough?

Broken sobs could be heard in the darkness that fell upon them, as all began to believe that their efforts had been for nothing. Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, Kouga, and all of the others were confused. What had happened? Had all of their efforts for the past five years, been for nothing? All of the pain, anquish, lives, tears, and blood wasted for nothing?

"Sesshomaru-sama," asked a tearful Rin, "did Rin say something wrong, to make the pretty lady mad enough to not want to help Kagome?"

At the question, and the tears, the sobs and the sorrow, a small voice could be heard.

"We looked up to you. We believed in you. This is not fair," cried Shippo, still looking up to the space where moments ago the regal figure had stood. "What did we do to you that you give us hope, only to take it away from us? Who are you to tell us what is right and what is wrong, when you don't even accept that we all love Kagome? What has she done to deserve your punishment? What did we do wrong?"

The little kit, broke down into heart wrenching sobs, Rin doing her best to try to comfort him, in her own way. She hugged him, as they both shared their tears of sorrow, feeling like their hopes were shattered and nothing mattered.

A sudden roar was heard as Inuyasha, flung his head back, screaming to the heavens. "FOR ALL THAT WE HAVE DONE, THIS IS THE WAY YOU REPAY US? WHAT MORE WERE WE SUPPOSED TO DO? WHAT MORE WERE WE SUPPOSED TO GIVE? ARE NOT OUR LIVES ENOUGH? COME BACK HERE AND EXPLAIN THIS ALL TO US, OR ARE YOU AFRAID THAT WE ARE RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG?"

He fell to his knees the anquish more than obvious in his demeanor. Sango quickly knelt beside him, and wrapped her arms around him. Just as Shippo and Rin, they both cried, sharing their sorrow for what had not come to pass. Kouga sat stunned, Ginta and Hakkaku weeping openly. Miroku sat as though in a trance, Kaede was shedding tears of her own.

To those looking on, it appeared as though the stoic Youkai Lord was not affected by anything of the evenings events. If it were not for the tight hold that he had on his mate, those who didn't know him, would have believed that he was still the cold hearted Taiyoukai, caring for nothing and no one. No one saw the lone tear that trailed slowly down his face. A tear that he didn't even know that he had shed.

Inside, he was screaming, feeling like his own soul was being torn to shreds. Was this what it felt like to know you were about to lose something, or someone you held close to you? This was a feeling that he had not had since his mother had died, when he was but a pup, himself.

He had only just found someone to call his, someone to share his life with, someone who carried his child, and wanted to have a family with him. He had chosen long ago, when his mother had died, to shut himself off from the world. To shut out all of the painful emotions that had caused so much pain, when she had passed on.

Now, when he had finally given himself over to accepting those feelings once again, he was about to lose the only thing that matter in his long and very lonely life. Was this how his father had felt, too? Was this what it was like to care so deeply about someone, that the thought of losing them, was like accepting death? Surely there was something that they could do. Wasn't there?

'Was this the pain you felt father?,' he thought as he felt his heart begin to shatter, "Was this the pain you felt at mother's death? Is this the pain that Kagome felt, when she thought that Inuyasha wanted to be with the dead miko? How father? How did you cope with it? Was this why you sought solace in the arms of Inuyasha's mother? Help me, father. Help me to understand.....why...Why...WHy....WHY!!!!!!'

That last word was more than just a thought. It was a near silent whisper, but it might just as well have been a scream to match Inuyasha's. At the soft sound, a sudden and some how familiar thrumming sound could be felt and heard, but it took a moment for the Taiyoukai to realize what it was.

At the same time, a second thrumming sound could be heard. This one seeming to sing in harmony to the first one. Everyone looked around, trying to find the source, or sources of the twin sounds, but it seemed to encompass everything, coming from everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Before either of them could react, or do anything to stop them, the twin fangs of the Great Sugimi-sama, Inu no Taisho of the Western Lands, and father to both Sesshomaru, and Inuyasha, flew from their sheaths to hang in the air, about twenty feet off of the ground and the same distance apart. Their humming grew in strength, and as it did, they both began to spin end over end. As their tumbling picked up speed, they also began to circle above the heads of the awed crowd.

Faster and faster they spun, until they were almost invisible. Instead of the once visible swords, a bright sphere of light began to form in the center of the space that the swords had...were....circling. As the light grew brighter, the continued humming of the swords steadily increased, as well.

At about the same time that the sphere began to form, Kagome's body began to glow, taking on an intense pearly blue white light. Just as the sphere, the light surrounding the girl, was growing in intensity, getting brighter and brighter with each passing second.

By now the sphere of light was almost too bright to look upon, and it began to evolve into an as yet, unidentifiable form. The form took on a pulsing rhythm, and the light surrounding Kagome picked it up moments later. In moments both seemed to be pulsing in sync.

Just when it seemed that the sphere was going to get too bright to look upon, it gave one last pulse and its form finally came together. In its stead, stood a tall, regal, powerful visage, more handsome and ethereal than anyone there, had ever seen or thought possible. There was no doubt as to the identity of the figure, or of who he had once been. Even if the long, silken, silvery tresses pulled up into a high pony tail, were not a dead give away, huge wrapping of fur over one shoulder, the striped cheeks, and the crescent moon on the forehead more than made up for it.

"Come Midoriko," said the deep pitched voice, "Have you really completely forgotten what it was like to be alive? Even you must remember what it was like to feel love and hate, to feel joy and sorrow, to desire and dislike, or to need until it hurt so bad that you wanted to die. Come, or have you become so accustomed to the company you have been imprisoned with all of the centuries that you are afraid to leave your self imposed prison?"

Almost simultaneously both Inuyasha, and Sesshomaru said, "Father?"

A deep chuckle, almost like the sound of controlled thunder, rumbled from the chest of the Great Youkai as he looked down upon his sons. The smile that graced his face, and filled his eyes, only added to his already ethereal appearance.

"My sons," the Great Youkai Lord spoke with obvious pride and love, "you both have made me very proud of you. And I know that both of your mothers are equally proud."

Before either of the two could respond, the light surrounding Kagome, flared and once again resolved itself in to the legendary Midoriko. She seemed different this time. Oh, she was still a most regal and powerful form, but there was a bit of sadness about her that had not been there before. Something that spoke of loneliness and longing. It was some inner pain that had lasted for a long time, only held at bay because of a strong will and determination that kept it from overwhelming the warrior of old.

"Ah, I see that you have finally chosen to face me," that deep, ground shaking voice chuckled again. "Have you tired of your prison yet? Are you ready to rest and enjoy the peace that has been denied you all of these centuries?"

"I thought that I was," Midoriko replied, "but I am not so certain that I deserve it yet."

"And why would the proud and powerful priestess that I came to admire," the Inu no Taisho asked, "not be certain of herself?"

"I once thought that my standards were right, and just. Your sons," she spoke, turning to the gathering below, "and their friends, have made me see that I might have done the right things, but for all of the wrong reasons. I may have been, and still be pure of soul, but I appear to have become blinded by my owe loftiness, and lost sight of what is truth."

Again the great figure of the Youkai chuckled, the very ground vibrating with the open mirth of the once living, but still powerful Lord. "Come now Midoriko," Sugimi-sama spoke, "does not the fact that you question yourself, not show that even you have flaws? The struggle for perfection is the challenge that life brings to everyone who experiences it. It is not the being perfect that is the goal, it is the fight to try to get there. My sons and their friends are all right. The true aim is to find the balance between the dark and light. Without the one, the other could not exist. Do you not remember that you were the one who taught me that so many long centuries ago?"

Midoriko seemed to pause in thought, considering the Great Inuyoukai's words. After several long and pregnant moments, in which everyone found themself holding their breath, she turned back to the handsome and regal figure before her.

"I have forgotten, haven't I? I have forgotten so much," she spoke sadly.

Sugimi-sama held his hand out to the warrior priestess of legend, "Come! It is time for the living to move forward with their lives. Let the girl, your descendant, have back the life she deserves. She brings that spark of happiness to the lives of those around her, showing them was makes the fight against the darkness so worth while. Besides, she has managed to do, what I left my fangs behind for."

At this Inuyasha spoke up once again, anxious to not let his father go without at least a word, "Why did you leave them, father? Why did you leave....us?"

"Inuyasha," the great voice rumbled, "my powerful hanyou son. You have come a long way, despite the hard life you have had to live. My greatest regret in life was that I left you both alone in a harsh and cruel world. Despite the challenges that you both faced, you have grown proud, strong, and both have good, caring hearts."

"That was the true reason that you left your fangs," spoke up a most stoic voice, "was it not father? Tetsusaiga to help protect those that Inuyasha came to care most for, and Tenseiga so that I could learn what it meant to care for those same....people."

"Ah, Sesshomaru," said Sugimi-sama as he turned his gaze upon his eldest son, "You have done me most proud as Taiyoukai of the Western Lands. Hai, you are correct. When you lost your mother, I saw how you were closing yourself off from the world around you, and I knew that it would only bring you more pain and loneliness than anyone could stand. But knowing as I did that you would one day come across a most unusual child, and later, an most unique and powerful mate, I knew that I needed to find a way to break through that icy heart you had taken upon yourself."

"Then are the feelings that I hold for Kagome and Rin," came the almost immediate question, "true, or are they just the workings of you fang?"

Again the Great Lord chuckled, "Iie, my son. You misunderstand the meaning behind the sword. Remember, in order for Tenseiga to work, the wielder must already have compassion in his heart. You could not have brought her back to life if you had not already had at least a little compassion in your heart. Some small part of you that you had denied yourself to accept, wanted Rin to live for having shown you kindness. Kindness that no one else had every offered to you, despite your cold and stoic demeanor. Someone who saw your heart, not the face you presented to the world."

He turned and faced Inuyasha, all of the love for his young son evident in his expressive eyes, "Tetsusaiga served you as well, Inuyasha. But not all of its power and abilities came from my fang."

"I do not understand, father," said the hanyou, feeling almost like a boy again standing before the father he had never known, "is not Tetsusaiga a powerful sword?"

"Hai, it is," was the answer, "but you have taken it far beyond what I had originally intended. It is true that it was meant to bind your blood, and that it was designed to kill one hundred youkai in a single swing. I never foresaw, however, the new attacks that you added to the sword, my son. In truth, by itself, Tetsusaiga is not powerful enough to have been able to do those attacks. Another provided both the power for those attacks to be possible. Another granted you the rights to bare the sword."

"Tetsusaiga is a youkai sword, father," stated Sesshomaru, seeming to understand what his father meant, but confused as to how such a thing could happen. "How could a Miko's powers feed the sword's abilities?"

Before Sugimi-sama could speak, Midoriko spoke up for the first time, since she been called back out by the Great Inu no Taisho. "That was totally unexpected on anyone's part. Kagome is a most unique individual, but more than that, she is a most unique Miko. While she was unable to consciously use her abilities, like Kikyou, Kaede, myself, or any other miko, Nature knew that she needed to be protected as the jewel's Guardian," she stated.

"Nature gave her far more power than she needed for her task," Sugimi-sama continued, "but the extra power had to go somewhere, or it would cause her harm. So it chose to make it possible for her power to meld with the youkai power of my fang, amplifying its strength, and abilities, but restricting its usage. I bound it to you, Inuyasha, to help your youkai blood, and to provide you the necessary strength to protect her as a ningen. But, because she was the one who pullled in from the stone, and gave it to you, she unconsciously limited your ability to use the sword when she was not in this time."

"You were always meant to be her protector, Inuyasha," spoke up Midoriko, "and had not Fate stepped in and interferred, you would have been her soulmate. Unfortunately, darker forces interfered, and for this you again paid the price, despite my best efforts to intervene."

Again, Sugime-sama spoke up, bringing the subject back to the true purpose for his appearance. "Enough of this, Midoriko. Why do you hesitate to grant their wish? Is not their obviously willingness to sacrifice themselves for their love of the little Miko, enough to prove the lightness of their hearts? If you keep this up, not only will you never been free of the prison you created, but your own soul will become darkened by your own misery. They have suffered more than either of us ever dreamed of, or experienced ourselves. It is time to let the past go, and let the future continue."

"Perhaps you are right," spoke up the ancient warrior, "maybe I have been locked in the Shikon no Tama for too long. I find myself tired and weary of the ever present battle between the light and the dark."

"Then come," was the command of the Great Taiyoukai, "let me help you to finish what they have started. My sons, and their friends, and the beautiful little Miko have already fought their battle. All that remains is for us to finally chase that cowardly excuse of a hanyou, who has been trapped with you all of these centuries, back to the Seven Levels of Hell where he belongs. You have always been a worthy warrior, and I would be honoured to stand by your side, as you chase that filthy excuse for a youkai wannabe into the deepest depths of hell," he said, holding his hand out to the Great Warrior Priestess, once more.

Midoriko tooked the offered hand, and came to stand beside the form of the equally legendary and most powerful Taiyoukai that ever lived. Both smiled to each other, as they drew their swords and stood as ready for battle.

"Sesshomaru?" spoke the living Taiyoukai's father.

Sesshomaru looked up into the face of the father he had known, the unspoken longing in his heart to know him again clear in his eyes, but realizing that it was not to be. Nevertheless, he was proud to have such a father, one who had given him so much to look up to, and hope to become himself. "Hai, father!" he spoke.

"Take care of my grandchildren," was the reply, "You and your brother are all that are left of our great and powerful line. She is worthy of you, my son. Be proud, and care for her like a jewel of great price."

"I will, father," said Sesshomaru, unable to keep the awe and warmth from his voice.

"Inuyasha?" Inu no Taisho spoke to his youngest son.

"Hai, father," came the equally awed reply, from the hanyou, whose face clearly reflected both the happiness of seeing the father he had heard so much about, and yet sad to know that this was the only chance he would ever get to really see him.

"You have been granted another chance to find happiness," his father told him, "Do not be ashamed of the mistakes you have made. We are not so different, you and I. We all make mistakes, but the true warrior knows how to learn by his mistakes, and become stronger for the experience. That is the true lesson that Kagome, the little Miko, and mate to your brother, has been trying to teach you all of these years. What you never saw, was the truth in her words, and that you were doing what she taught you without even realizing it as you grew."

"I do not understand, father," spoke a confused Inuyasha, Sango still standing beside him, holding his hand. Sugimi-sama just looked at her, then had his son, and a warm chuckle rumbled through the great chest of the Taiyoukai once more.

"You will in time, my son," was all he said.

Turning back to Midoriko, the two smiled, and took up their stances, obviously prepared for a battle. Everyone looked about them, trying to find the enemy that they were set to face off. As far as they could see, there was no one else present and for a moment, everyone was totally confused. Where was the enemy that these two were prepared to face?

Once more, Kagome's body began to glow, but this time, the light that formed around her, instead of being the pure pearly blue white light of before, was an angry red. Moments later, it started to pulse in an almost angry rhythm.

"Come coward," commanded Sugimi-sama, "or are you afraid of a true youkai, and a powerful miko? Afraid that we might defeat you?"

The angry pulsing light that surrounded Kagome grew stronger, and pulsed even more angrily than before. Her skin grew warm, hot even. Hotter than was normal for anyone, whether youkai, hanyou, or ningen. Sesshomaru almost dropped her, as the heat of her skin grew almost unbarable, but he refused to let his mate go. If his father could fight whatever this was, then be damned if he would show himself to be weaker than he great and terrible father.

Inuyasha saw the struggle, as Kagome's body began to convulse and writhe as though she was fighting some unseen force, and leaped in to help his brother hold her body down. Shippo, who had been sitting in Kagome's lap, was suddenly thrown from his spot, as her body continued to be racked by the convulsions that were gripping her unconscious form.

Undaunted by the sudden action, the little kit jumped back towards his chosen mother, and tried his level best to help Sesshomaru and Inuyasha to hold the unconscious form steady. Soon they were joined by Kouga, Ginta, Sango, Miroku, Hakkaku, Rin, and Kohaku. Even Ah-Un, and Kirara tried their best to lend a paw or tail.

"Come you coward," spoke up Midoriko, "or do you intend to continue to hide yourself in the girl's form like the weakling you are? She has already defeated you, and taken your power, now it is time that I take your soul."

For a moment the raging reddish light grew more intense, and Kagome's body stiffened so hard that everyone thought sure that she would break. Almost as sudden as this had happened, the red aura burst force, and took on the form of the most enormous doragon (dragon) youkai that anyone had ever seen. Neither of the two stalwart warriors even flinched, however, as the huge creature gave voice to an earth shattering roar and lunged at them.

With the release of the other soul that had been entrapped within the Shikon no Tama, Kagome's body collapsed like a dead weight, now lying in silent repose on the ground beside her kneeling mate, friends, and loved ones. Her breathing was shallow, and her heartbeat had weakened further. Her skin, now cooler than it had been but moments ago, was as pale as death, and a sheen of sweat could be seen forming on her body.

All eyes turned back to the battle taking place above their heads, watching in awe as Sugimi-sama dodged a swipe of the doragon's (dragon's) tail, leaped high above its head, only to take a huge swing at its back, as he flipped over the beast to land behind his adversary. Midoriko kept the beast busy, engaging her opponent in close combat, drawing his attention so that Sugimi-sama could charge back into the forray from behind.

With a roar that shook the very earth itself, the Inu no Taisho charged right at the great beast, sword raised and swinging visciously towards the enemy. Before the enormous doragon (dragon) youkai could turn, Sugimi-sama's swing struck home, sinking deeply into the back of the beast.

In a normal youkai, the blow would have severed the spine and left its victim helpless on the ground. The doragon (dragon) youkai, however, instead of dying began to morphe right before everyone's eyes. Its flesh seemed to ripple, and writhe, like some sickening slime coated mass. As horrible as it was, almost no one could turn away from the sight. The screams of those shaken by the horror, going almost unnoticed for the shock that everyone was gripped by.

Undaunted by this change in her opponent, Midoriko leapt in with her own sword, swinging for what was the head. It easily separated cutting off abruptly the scream that was being torn from the beast's throat. The writhing mass, burst at the moment, finally resolving itself into the souls of the countless youkai that had gone into making up the enormous monster so many centuries before.

Before the now separated souls, could find escape, a dark portal opened up and began to suck them into its seemingly bottomless depths. Each soul screamed in fear, outrage, and anger as they were pulled into the depths of the hell they had long been destined for. Long moments passed, seeming like and eternity, and still more souls were sucked in. Finally, with the last soul now gone, the portal shrunk back to the nothingness it had once been, and was gone bringing silence with it.

The power that had filled the area at the onslaught of the great battle, still held everyone enthralled. Midoriko and Sugimi-sama came to stand once more above the anxious gathering, and the huddled group surrounding the still unconscious Miko.

"Arigato, Midoriko," said Sugimi-sama, a huge grin on his handsome visage. "Although it was short, and our opponent not much of a challenge, thanks to your descendant, it was a pleasure to stretch my sword arm once more. You are indeed an excellent warrior, and worthy of this Inu no Taisho's respect."

"It is I, who owe you thanks, my Lord," spoke Midoriko, her face once more lighting up with the smile that had brightened her face earlier. "You have opened my eyes, and shown me the truth that I had forgotten. Thanks to you, I am now free to find the rest that I have desired for so long."

"It is not me to whom, you owe your thanks for that, Miko-sama," spoke Sugimi-sama, as he turned to look upon the faces of the throng below, finally coming to rest upon the faces of his strong sons, their friends, and the little Miko lying still as death upon the ground beside the anxious group. "It is them that deserve more than your thanks and respect. They are the ones that fought the hardest to achieve your freedom."

Midoriko turned back to the group of once again, hopeful faces. "Hai, in that you also speak the truth, Sugimi-sama. Even I did not suffer as much, when I was alive," was her response, sadness lacing her voice. "You have all sacrificed so much, given your all, and still are willing to give more, for the sake one pure soul. I hope that you can all find it in your hearts to forgive me for being blind to my own lofty ideals."

"You have always been both a hero and a mentor to all of us," spoke up Miroku. "Especially to Kagome. It was the legends of the Great and Powerful Warrior Priestess, who had given birth to the Shikon no Tama, that drove her passion to fight for justice against the evil both from within and outside as well."

"It was your high standards," spoke up Sango, "that pushed us to strive our hardest to try to be like you. It was your ideals that fed our hopes, and eased our fears. There is nothing for us to forgive."

"All that we ask," spoke up Inuyasha, with all of the fierce pride and determination of his father. "is that you give Kagome back her right to live among us, happy, healthy and loved. Give us back Kagome!"

"Hai," stood up Shippo, his tears still showing on his face, "Give us back Kagome! Give me back my mama!"

"Give us back Kagome!" spoke up Sango.

"Give us back Kagome!" spoke up Miroku.

"Give us back Kagome!" spoke up Kouga.

"Give us back Kagome!"

It was a cry that was picked up by each of the people standing there. Everyone! The villagers, the visitors, the hanyou, ningen, and youkai. It became a chant that filled the area, and drove them to the point that they were all screaming it within moments of having taken up the hanyou's words.

Sugimi-sama looked on in awe and mirth. A warm chuckle once again rumbled through is great chest, as the ground shivered with the pleasant sound. It was enough to bring silence once more to the clearing and the group of onlookers awaiting the ancient miko's decision.

"It seems to me," Sugimi-sama continued to chuckle merrily as he spoke, "that you have a final promise to keep, Miko-sama. Perhaps it would be best to complete your final task."

Midoriko's smile grew even brighter and bigger than before. "It would seem that you are right, Sugimi-sama. I think that I had been do something."

She looked down upon the upturned faces of Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, and their friends. The hope in all of their faces, almost painful in its intensity, more than enough to reach the hearts of the two figures above.

"The gift of life is a powerful one," she spoke, "and not one to be taken lightly or for granted. By the rights of her blood, her body, her heart, and her soul, I grant her this gift. There has been much death and blood shed over these long, long, years. Now that the evil has been finally put to rest, it is only fitting that those who worked so hard to help bring this about, be allowed to live out their lives happy and peacefully."

She looked at each of the little Miko's group of dearest friends, "As I pass into the rest that I have so long been deny, by my own choice, I give this last gift to you all. You have more than earned it with your kind and loving hearts. Life is always a challenge, so while I would like to say that you are all going to have perfect lives of love and happiness, I cannot. But I can give you all a good beginning, as you find your own paths to follow in this world."

With that the forms of the two figures slowly began to glow once more. Inuyasha and Sesshomaru briefly glanced at each other. For the first time there seemed to be an understanding between the two. Both turned back to the figures above, their father looking at them, as if he knew and understood.

"Father," they both spoke up at the same time.

"We stand proud to be your sons," said Inuyasha, his words more than evident in his stance, his hand holding Sango's tightly and possessively.

"We will continue to make you proud of us," spoke up the Taiyoukai, as he held his mate's hand in his own.

"I know, my sons," the pride of the Great and Terrible Inu no Taisho, reflected in both his words and his voice. "Your mothers and I are always watching. While we may not be permitted to stand beside you both in life, we will always be beside you in spirit and live on in your hearts. Be safe and happy my sons."

With those last words, the bright light flared to the point of blindness, and all were forced to cover the eyes. One last message floated upon the breeze as the light faded from view. "Know that your children will be born true, my daughter. Strong, healthy, and powerful like you and their father."

The humming sound that had filled the air earlier, once more became noticeable. The less blinding glow that had been the signs of the twin swords as they spun in the air, became visible once again. They further slowed, until it could be clearly distinquished that there were two separate blades whirling through the air. The great circle that they had traversed ceased, and they once again hung in the air spinning end over end.

Even in this, they continued to slow their incredible motion. Further and further they slowed until they came to a stop, simultaneously came to stop, just hanging in the darkness above everyone's heads. A moment later, they slowly lowered until they were each hovering just in front of their respective wielders. The two inu took their swords, and once more returned them to the sheaths at their sides. Silence and darkness once again reign supreme over the gathering, broken only by the sound of torches being lit, to allow everyone to see.

A sharp gasp, as though trying to find air that starved lungs had been denied, filled the area, like a scream in the night, for the weight of the silence that followed that last pronouncement. At the instant that the sound was heard, all eyes turned to the source.

As the source of the sound slowly sat up, a resounding cheer filled the clearing, and rang out across the village and the land beyond, known to all as Inuyasha's Forest. The little Miko was alive, and it was her gasp that all had heard.

She looked at all of those gathered around her, total confusion clear on her face. Shippo hugged her, Rin cheered, Sango laughed, Miroku smiled, Ginta and Hakkaku were being patted rather forcefully on the backs by Kouga, all of whom were smiling from ear to ear. Kaede smiled that wise and ever knowing smile she was known for. Inuyasha was laughing with joy.

Kagome turned to look at everyone around her, finally resting her eyes on her mate. It was apparent to those close enough to see her, that she was exhausted from all that had transpired over the past week, and more, but was otherwise no longer suffering from the injuries that she had once had.

Before she could do more than smile at everyone, her exhaustion took over, and she fainted. Sesshomaru caught her before she could hit the ground. Miroku quickly examined the young onna, as Kaede checked her feet, as the group of onlookers and well wishers all stood in a moment of silence.

"She is fine," spoke up the houshi, "Just exhausted. She needs rest at the moment more than anything, but she will be just fine."

As Sesshomaru lifted her from the place where they had been sitting on the ground, a the cheering of the happy throng once more filled the air. No one stopped him from taking Kagome into Kaede's hut, nor were there any complaints as he curled up with her on the futon, they had shared earlier. Rin and Sango pulled up the warm furs to keep Kagome warm, and both smiling happily, left the hut to join everyone else in the renewed celebrations of the happy villagers and visiting people.

"I never thought to ever see father," spoke a solemn, yet happy Inuyasha, to his brother, who laying next to his mate, had turned his thoughts to the events of the evening. He had to admit that he had never thought to see his father again. He had never really even thought of just how empty his life had been, when he had died, leaving Sesshomaru the sole heir to his lands, and estates.

"Nor I, to see him again," spoke Sesshomaru quietly. He knew that Inuyasha would hear him, and he didn't want to disturb Kagome's for once peaceful slumber. It felt good, to know that she was alright for a change. It was hard enough to believe all of the things this small onna had gone through in less than two weeks, three if he counted the week before her faithful encounter with Naraku.

"I have often envied you," Inuyasha continued, surprising his elder brother.

"Why?" was the request.

"For being powerful, where I was weak. For being accepted, where I was shunned," came the heartfelt reply, "For having had a mother, and father, when I had never known how powerful and truly great he was, until today, and only knew my mother for such a short time. For having a place in this world that I thought never to have. Those were the real reasons that I chose to seek out the Shikon no Tama, you know."

He paused for a moment, obviously in thought, "I wanted more than anything, to be like you. Strong, powerful, accepted, and having a home. I thought you had everything, while I had nothing."

Sesshomaru pondered his brother's words. He had to admit that they touched a part of him that he had never known. Had he appeared to be the one with everything all of these years? Years in which all he had ever truly desired was to be so much more like his father, seeking power, and strength that he never truly realized he already possessed?

"And I envied you, little brother," quietly responded the Youkai Lord after a moment.

"Why would you envy a worthless hanyou, like me?" his brother asked.

"For having those things that I never did, until a few days ago," Sesshomaru said, the truth more then evident in his voice. "Someone who cared for you because of who you are, not what you are. Someone to love, and hold. Someone who wanted to have a family with you. Not the cold and lonely live that I have led. Father was right. He was right, and in seeing the truth, he did the best he could to help us both. I truly am proud to be his son."

"As am I," spoke up Inuyasha. "Arigato, big brother."

"For what?" he asked.

"For giving her what I didn't have the courage to give. For seeing in her the things that I was too blind to see. For being there for her," Inuyasha spoke, some of the sadness colouring his voice. "I am glad that she has found the happiness she deserves.

"And I owe you much thanks, little brother," returned the Taiyoukai. "Without you, I might never had been given the gift that I now hold. But I do not believe that you will be so lonely yourself from now on! Or have my senses been affected by recent events so much that I misread the scents from both you and the Taijiya?"

Inuyasha blushed at his brother's insight. He knew exactly what he was saying and asking. "Your senses are not deceiving, brother. We mated before I remembered about the wish for the Shikon no Tama. In fact, it was something that Sango had said, the reminded me of it."

"She is a good match for you, Inuyasha," spoke up the Great Youkai Lord, a near silent chuckle could be heard in his voice. "She offers you a challenge, and can stand up to you and your temper."

"Hai, she does," replied the hanyou, "At least I do not disrespect her publicly as the houshi had done. She deserves more respect than that, and I swear on my honour, to not take her for granted as I did with Kagome."

"That is one oath," spoke the quiet Youkai Lord, "that I will personally see that you keep, little brother. Return to your mate, little brother. I intend to rest here with my own."

With that the current and living Inu no Taisho closed his eyes, and snuggled closer to his mate, nuzzling his mark and letting the soothing caress of her scent, and the gentle fingers of sleep claim his conscious mind, as darkness settled in for rest of the night.

-----------------------