InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Warning - Hanyou's and Caffeine Do Not Mix! ❯ Ambrosia ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: Oh! A disclaimer? Why would I want one of those? It’s a lot more fun pretending that I own Inuyasha. Sadly I don’t.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Last Time…

“Hello Shippou! And hello to everyone else! Lets go inside Kaede’s hut so I can make some ramen (Inuyasha’s ears perk up at the sound of the word) for us to eat for dinner! Um, Inuyasha? Can you just put my bag inside the hut? I still don’t think I can carry it.” Kagome says, hugging all her friends and leading them inside the hut.
“I have this wonderful drink I think you will like. It’s called Coca Cola and it’s my form of ambrosia.” Kagome says as she brushes aside the mat door leading inside the hut.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Inside Kaede’s hut was pretty sparse. In the corner there was a small futon. In the opposite corner was storage for the herbs and bandages of Kaede’s trade. In the center of the hut was a sheltered fire, burning low and perfect for heating water and cooking ramen. The interior of the hut was pretty dim, the only light source being the fire and the dieing light of the sun peeking through the woven mat door.

As the group assembles for dinner, Kagome bring out her cooking utensils and ramen packages. “Shippou? Would you be a dear and go fetch water for dinner? I’ll give you a candy when you return?” Kagome says with a sweet smile on her face as she pushes the kit towards the door. Shippou then races for the nearest water source.

‘So Sango. What were you and Miroku doing out in the wilds when I was gone?” Kagome asks curiously of the tajiya.

“We didn’t find much at first. We went to the village north of us, and nothing was there except for an ’ominous cloud’ which only travelling monks can see.” Sango says with a pointed look in Miroku’s direction.

“Why Sango! I wouldn’t say nothing! It just so happens that a certain innkeepers daughter was very interested in…” Miroku crashes to the floor, the rest of his sentence having been cut off by a mysterious boomerang crashing over his head with a resounding THUD.

“Anyway.” Sango continues as if there wasn’t an unconscious monk lying beside her. “We went to the next closest village, and they were having problems with a mischievous demon that kept misplacing various objects from around the house. While this may sound fairly innocuous, the demon is still dangerous. When one of the villagers tried to stop the demon from taking his chopsticks, the poor man was rent limb from limb. We talked to a traveller from the inn, and he says that the demon has been continually moving south, so we should watch out for it. We are lying directly in it’s path.” Sango finishes with a grim look upon her fair face.

“Feh! That little demon had better watch itself, cause if it even tries to get it’s hands on anything from the village, I’m gonna be there gnawing on it.” Inuyasha says confidently, while Kagome and Sango exchange dubious glances behind his back.

Shippou arrives with the water, and Kagome puts the ramen in the pot. “Inuyasha, are you sure you aren’t being alittle…um…cocky?” Kagome asks as she stirs the now bubbling pot.

“Come on Kagome! You’ve known me for what? Three years? Couldn’t you show some more faith in my fighting abilities?” Inuyasha asks, feeling a little hurt.

“I know you are an excellent fighter Inuyasha! I just don’t want you to get hurt, that’s all!” Kagome says in a soothing voice, noting how Inuyasha’s ears perk up at the mention of her concern. The two continue to gaze into each other’s eyes, until…

“Um Kagome-chan? The ramen is bubbling over.” Sango interjects, blushing a little for interrupting the intimate moment.

“Oh.” was the blushing Kagome’s articulate reply. Inuyasha looked away, his face just as red.

“Hey wench! Make sure you don’t burn the ramen.” Inuyasha says gruffly, falling into his familiar I-care-but-I’m-too-tough-to-show-it-to-you routine while trying to fight his blushes down.

Miroku sits up, having finally regained consciousness. “What did I miss during my…err…nap?” Says he.

“Oh you didn’t miss anything at all monk.” Sango was, while her mouth twitches as she tries to hide her smile.

Miroku looks from Sango’s ill-covered smile to Inuyasha and Kagome’s blushing faces, with Shippou continues to colour with his crayons, oblivious to the tension in the air. “Come on you guys! If nothing happened then why is Inuyasha-the-great blushing?” Miroku asks, desperate to be in on the secret.

“Ramen’s ready!” Kagome cries, desperate to draw attention away from the previous ‘staring’ match.

The others very happily took the diversion, happy to be eating the delicious ramen. For the next half an hour the group slurped ramen and talked about inane things.

When the group was finally done, Kagome put away all the dishes while the others sat digesting the gastronomic delight.

*BELCH* A ground shaking burp erupted from someone in the room. All eyes turned to Inuyasha.

Inuyasha looks around for the source of the disturbance when he notices everyone looking at him. “What! Don’t look at me! I didn’t do it!” Inuyasha says in defence of himself.

Shippou was by this time rolling on the floor, clutching his little gut and wiping tears of mirth out of the corners of his eyes. “Hee hee! It *gasp* wasn’t him! *Sputter* It was me! *Choke*

Everyone’s jaws dropped to the ground. Who knew the little kit was capable of such a megalithic noise!

“Umm… Oh ya! I nearly forgot! The reason my pack is so heavy right now. I brought treats for you all! There is a particularly great one called Coca Cola that I mentioned before. I brought enough for everyone.” Kagome says happily, going to her bag and bringing out a six-pack of Coca Cola.

Everyone was paying much attention now. Kagome’s description of the beverage made it sound irresistible.

Holding a can up in the air, she made sure she had everyone’s full attention before making her announcement. “Now before we start to indulge ourselves in this fizzy goodness, there is something I must explain. This something is called the ‘crash-and-burn factor.” Noting all the confused (and somewhat annoyed) looks in her direction, Kagome started to explain a little faster.

“Well there is an ingredient in it called caffeine. This will give you a great burst of energy, but you must beware. This may ‘burn’ out rather suddenly, and the energy will leave you. You will be quite tired, and may even ‘crash’. Thus the crash-and-burn. You guys should especially be careful, as this is your first time, and you are not used to how it will effect you. Now without further adieu…” With the end of her speak Kagome sits down and her hand goes to the tab on the top of the can

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*