InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Welcome Home ❯ Kill The Memories ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
Welcome Home
 
By: Fourth Child of Destiny
 
 
 
 
This chapter is for Sephirona, my dearest reviewer! Thanks for all your support! I'm proud to have a reader like you!
 
 
 
 
Also for Manolo! You keep cheering me on and I will always be thankful! =) Love you, man!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter Four: Kill The Memories
 
 
 
 
 
**
The ocean spread along as far as his eye could see, vast and malicious. Waves crashed against the rocky shore, that treacherous blue monster defying anyone who stood in its way. It was so like him; powerful, imposing, threatening.
 
 
And he loved it.
 
 
After all, who dared defy him, the Lord of the Western Lands? For centuries, his family had ruled over those same lands he was standing upon. That raging sea was his, every grain of rocky sand, every flake of snow that fell from the midnight blue sky, it was all his.
 
 
And how he loved it!
 
 
How can someone be born with such ambitions? For behind that indifferent mask had been a demon every bit greedy and possessive as calm and indifferent. No one would hurt his subjects. No one would hurt those who he protected.
 
 
But here he was, staring into a never ending fiend, listening to the howling of the wind, and savoring the feel of those tiny cold flakes like wisps of fragile memories. And he found himself thinking why he was so pensive, why he contemplated that sea. Why he compared himself to it.
 
 
He was lonely.
 
 
Yes, he was lonely and whilst he would never agree to such a trivial thought, the truth was there. The truth was there, winking at him, like the crystal clear waves winked at him; the snow now freely dropping down from the heavens. For he had always been lonely, since he was born.
 
 
He was born to be a king.
 
 
He was the heir to the infamous Dog Clan. He was the only child of Inutashio, Leader of the Dog Clan.
 
 
At least it had been like that since his mother died. When war and famine raided Japan like a translucent epidemic, a deadly assailant of the night. Inutashio's lands had been invaded by the plagues that his demon mother could not vanquish. And whilst his mother was consumed by the fevers and aching attacks of lunacy, his soul was consumed by hate and resentment.
 
 
That harsh winter, Inutashio lost more than subjects. He lost his mate and his son with them.
 
 
And then came a human lady who roused Inutashio from his dark grief. Inutashio shamed his son and his court, fueling the hate of his son for everyone else. Inutashio had a second son, named Inuyasha. A hanyou, a half demon. A disgrace to his name and the Dog Clan. And hours before the death of his father, the eldest son, then a young lad, had asked for his father's powerful sword. They were swords that had conquered many lands and eradicated many enemies.
 
 
Tetsusaiga and Sou'nga.
 
 
His father had denied him the swords. He had questioned his search of power. And his son had told him it was the only way to have his desired tyranny. With those swords, he would open the path to victory.
 
 
`Son . . . is there anything you want to protect?'
 
 
He had sneered at the idea; found it unnecessary. He stared resentfully at the great Inutashio, as he transformed to his demon form. He watched the giant dog trot away and thought him a fool.
 
 
It had been in the same place he was standing on right now. The waves were just as violent and the snow fell with the same delicacy as that night.
 
 
The night he lost his father.
 
 
Sesshoumaru stared ahead, his silver mane thrashing behind him. He swallowed hard and pushed the memory aside. `I have too many of those.' He thought bitterly, his tawny orbs scanning his surroundings. If he traveled north, in a few hours they would reach the village where his father was executed. But he had no desire to visit that damned place.
 
 
“Such a waste of life, Father.” Sesshoumaru spoke out loud, shocking himself with the animosity of his tone. He frowned as another unpleasant memory invaded his senses. He could feel the gusts of the wind comb his hair, he could smell the stench of betrayal, and he could picture the color of the bamboo poles surrounding them.
 
 
**
 
Sesshoumaru stood quietly and waited until his half brother finished his false accusations. “How naïve you are. You are one who is born for nothing. A half demon living without any aim.” He unsheathed Tokijin and stared at Inuyasha accusingly. “Continue to be naïve.” He rushed forward, pulling his sword back for the strike. Inuyasha hopped and Sesshoumaru jumped after him. “Don't continue dirtying Tetsusaiga.”
 
 
Their swords crashed, sending Inuyasha back with a mighty push. He charged back and growled. “Have you forgotten, Sesshoumaru?” Their swords clashed once again and they met face to face. “When Tetsusaiga was making a choice, you were rejected.” Inuyasha taunted him. Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed. “Even if I was rejected then, things may change after some time.”
 
 
They paced in circles, their swords still clashed against one another. “Let me handle Father's sword!” Inuyasha argued. Sesshoumaru snarled. “You don't even know how Father looks like!” He jumped back, rushing once again to meet Tetsusaiga. “Don't pretend like you know everything!”
 
 
They were in a dance, a dance for the kill. Inuyasha's hectic blows could not reach Sesshoumaru with his born grace and agility. Sesshoumaru heaved his sword down and scowled when it met against his half brother's. “Even if you have Father's sword,” Sesshoumaru spoke darkly, as he back flipped and stopped one of his brother's swings short, “What can a hanyou like you do?” He swung his sword again and sent Inuyasha flying. He crashed against the bamboo poles and skid against the dirt, earning a groan.
 
 
“Yeah, I'm a hanyou. So you, the great Sesshoumaru who is always defeated by a half demon, must be a stray dog!” A current of wind swirled around Inuyasha, his hair whipping wildly as he prepared for his attack. Sesshoumaru stood still, tilting his trusted Tokijin diagonally. The pulse of the blade crackled. “Dragon Destruction.”
 
 
Blue thunder leapt from Sesshoumaru's blade, ripping apart everything in its way. It fell down from the sky, surrounding him. Inuyasha stepped back. “Explosive Current!” His attack clashed against Sesshoumaru's with a loud roar. It destroyed everything surrounding Sesshoumaru. His face was as calm as always, just as cold and hard. `Father, I want to be stronger than you when you were at your most powerful.' Another round of blue lightning crashed against the ground, leaving craters everywhere. `Because of a human lady, father, and because of Inuyasha, you died.' His eyes narrowed dangerously. `I always hope to defeat the most powerful.'
 
 
Sesshoumaru sent his attack forward, easily tossing Inuyasha's aside. Inuyasha was consumed by the blue light. After the explosions and smoke died away, Sesshoumaru looked down at his own blade. He placed it back on its sheath and turned around, fading into the dense forest.
 
**
 
That day he had been haunted by the memories, the day he heard those damned words that scarred him forever. He was 300 years old then, about fifteen in human years. He could feel the coldness of the night and see the fog outside his window.
 
**
 
Sesshoumaru could see nothing but fog from the parlor window. His amber eyes narrowed, trying to penetrate the thick darkness. Frustrated, he sighed, and stood up from his seat next to the window. It had been several days since he last fought with his Father and had an uneasy feeling. The castle had been too quiet, as in tense anticipation of dreadful news.
 
 
But life at the court went on. Servants rushed to the kitchens, preparing the usual feasts for their Lord, only to dispose of the food late at night, when it was certain he wouldn't be coming home. Sesshoumaru found this waste unnerving and would eat his fill and leave the dinning room as quickly as he could. The room was too big; a two story ceiling, thick stone walls, and floor-to-ceiling windows with haunting views of the ocean.
 
 
Rain splattered against the glass. He could hear the thunder in the distance, the lightning momentarily giving him a view of the lands. He could see tall mountains to the east and the raging black sea to the north. The candles flickered beside him, and he shivered. A knock on the door pulled him out of his brooding thoughts.
 
 
“Enter.”
 
 
It was a person he did not expect. His father's most esteemed advisor was standing there. He had long navy blue hair tied into an elaborate braid. His eyes were two slits of yellow-ish green. The man greeted him with a respectful bow. He wore a grim expression on his face. One Sesshoumaru did not like.
 
 
“Sukushio. What has happened?”
 
 
Sukushio sighed. The aura of his young lord could break the toughest heart. Though his facial features did not express it, he could feel the haunting atmosphere of the young demon. It reeked of dread and panic. But he had to do it. It had been placed on him to do so. He walked forward, stopping a few steps from Sesshoumaru. He knelt down and gripped his shoulders. It was as comforting a gesture as he could manage. “My lord, I am afraid I bare horrible news indeed.”
 
 
Sesshoumaru felt his heart stop. His throat clenched and his head fell down. “Onegai . . .no.”
 
 
“Your father, Lord Inutashio.” Sukushio sobbed. “Lord Inutashio is dead.”
 
 
Sesshoumaru went limp and fell on his knees.
 
 
**
 
That had been the last time he cried. Sesshoumaru's soul had forever been lost to that day. And when he had heard how he died, what he left behind, his mourning became detestation. The hatred he felt for that bastard son was unimaginable. And when his mind was vulnerable, even to this day, Sesshoumaru regretted harboring so many harmful feelings. But the past was irreversible, he had been taught that.
 
 
That night, he had become the Lord of the Western Lands. He had ruled over these lands for 300 years.
 
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama!”
 
 
He jerked his head around. A girl came running towards him and Sesshoumaru could not help the tiny smile that graced his lips. Rin had grown since they had crossed paths. She was no longer the naïve girl she had been. Her hair was longer and her eyes deeper, wiser. She was about fourteen and acted every bit like it. Their five years together had united them to the point that he treated her like his own daughter.
 
 
“What is it, Rin?” He spoke in a serious, but not harsh tone. The teenager frowned. “Aa, Sesshoumaru-sama. I do not mean to bother you, but it will be my parent's death anniversary in a few days. And I was thinking that it would be nice to go visit their graves.” Her eyes took a pleading look. “Onegai, Sesshoumaru-sama. I have gone to them for four years now.”
 
 
Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and nodded curtly, signaling he was listening. Rin continued. “I recognize this place. We came here not too long after you saved me. My village is not far from here.” Rin shyly took his hand and linked it with her own. “This place makes you sad. I do not know why, but I can sense your distress.” Sesshoumaru opened his eyes again and peered at Rin's worried expression. “Call for Jaken. We leave tomorrow.”
 
 
She smiled. “Arigato, Sesshoumaru-sama!”
 
 
What he did for that girl, it was unbelievable.
 
 
/One Year Earlier/
 
 
A man walked down the trail that would take him to his village. He, along with his wife, had been absent for nearly six years. They missed their families and their home. Behind them came a cart pulled by the horses he had brought from the villages they had traveled to. The cart was full of food and supplies.
 
“Kaworu, how much farther to town do you think?” The young woman spoke. Her serene brown eyes were intently gazing at the man walking in front of her. In her hands she carried their only child. She smiled at the baby and stopped abruptly when she nearly crashed against her husband.
 
“Kaworu?”
 
She gasped. There, on the floor, was a corpse covered in blood. Her husband ran towards the body. It was a girl, no older than seventeen. Her black hair was tossed about and her fragile face was twisted in shock, her hauntingly vacant eyes wide open. “Kami, how horrible!” Taka walked over. “How long do you think she has been there?” Kaworu scrunched his brows in frustration. “No longer than three days. Damn youkai!”
 
 
Taka glanced sadly at the young girl. `She looks so scared . . .' She glanced carefully at the girl's face. `Not scared . . . she looks deceived.' She sighed softly. “We cannot leave her here, Kaworu.” The man stood up. “I agree. It would be most cruel, that it would. Hand me a mantle from our cart.” Taka nodded forlornly, and walked to the wagon. She chose a green one from the bottom of the pile. It would match her clothes.
 
 
“Here, husband.” Kaworu thanked her and carefully wrapped her feeble body. He hoisted it up with care and took it to the cart. He placed her in a far corner, away from the food. After making sure nothing would fall on her, he walked back to his wife. She was crying softly. “We will bury her when we get back to the village. Dry your tears.” He said, smiling at her anxiously. She nodded as they started walking again. “I just can't imagine dying like that.”
 
 
“I know. It must have been horrible.”
 
 
**
 
Taka had chosen a spot right below a great sakura tree on the outskirts of their village. The sun filtered through the large canopy, creating the illusion of an ethereal place. She had watched as her husband dug deep into the earth and placed the body of the young girl into the pit. Kaworu calmly covered her with the damp soil. After he was done, Taka stepped forward and placed the flowers she had picked on top of the grave. They looked at each other and smiled tenderly.
 
 
“We did the right thing.”
 
 
 
/Present/
 
 
A young girl walked down a path surrounded by bright blossoms. She loved her village; the large trees that surrounded it. She always got a feeling of melancholy when she came to visit her parents, but she would sacrifice that for them. She had just come from paying her respects to them. As promised, she had brought them a shell from the beach she had picked just for them. She prayed to Kami they were safe and bid them farewell until the next year. Making her way back, she noticed a grave that had not been there before. A strong aura surrounded it.
 
 
Rin could not help the curiosity and stepped closer. It said no name, no headstone, nothing to indicate who might have been buried there. She shrugged and walked away. The aura. Rin stopped and looked back. Something was asking her not to leave. She shivered. Rin knew spirits existed but she never dreamed of being contacted by one. She walked back and kneeled beside the grave. “I am Rin. Who are you?”
 
 
No answer.
 
 
`How ridiculous!' Rin thought. `Here I am, talking to a dead body.' She looked sadly at the flowers that had long wilted away. “I am Rin. Who are you?” She did not hear the voice outside, but rather in her mind. She told Rin her name, but Rin did not understand. The spirit spoke of betrayal, but Rin did not listen. When the voice quieted down, Rin opened her eyes. She could not help but smile.
 
 
 
“Hello, Kagome. It is good to hear from you.”
 
 
 
**
 
So, how was that? =) I hope you enjoyed it! I know it's another cliffhanger, but I've worked especially hard on this chapter! I hope you enjoy! Review Responses on the next chapter!
 
 
You can join the Welcome Home fanlisting! Receive updates and posts, as well as previews of oncoming chapters! It's easy! Just send an email with your penname, email, and that's it!


welcome_home_fanlisting@hotmail.com
 
 
-Fourth Child of Destiny-