InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Welcome Home ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, or any related characters. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, her publishers, and the animation companies responsible for the show. I do, however, claim rights to any original characters I may or may not create for the purposes of this fic.



Rain poured in steaming rivulets down the glass panes, giving the world outside a distorted, wavy look. It had been almost a year since the double funeral, and she had yet to find peace from the nightmares that haunted her from it. The house seemed lonely without her mother and brother, even lonelier than she had been the first year or so without him. Her grandfather, hard-pressed to do so much, even with her help, had been forced to hire another priest. Koji-san had been very helpful, but that was all. He had been helpful. No matter how much her grandfather now tried to push her into the young man's arms, every time she even thought of trying a relationship, her mind wandered back to him. Silver hair, golden eyes and red haori filled her mind with a vengeance, and tears sprung forth again, the constant reminder in the back of her mind of what she had lost in the past 5 years killing her, slowly. She could almost hear his voice admonishing her now for her mental state.
"Kami, Kagome, snap out of it! You're stronger than this!"
In the back of her mind, she knew he was right. She was, in fact, stronger than this. She was the strongest miko ever known, for Kami's sake. She knew if she really wanted to, she could pull herself from her depression, smile again, laugh again. The problem was, she didn't want to.
She wondered vaguely if the well would still let her pass. If it did, would they even remember her? Baka, she scolded herself. Of course they would. She remembered the single time the hanyou had kissed her, the gentle way he had wrapped his arms around her. I think I'm mostly just scared that if it did work, if I could go back, would he still feel the same? Or has he found another...
Kagome sighed, pushing her raven locks out of her face. The sudden craving for the simpler life of the Sengoku Jidai left her more alone than she had been to begin with. She was really, truly alone now. She had left her friends in the past 5 years prior, having completed the jewel and defeated the vile Naraku. And the recent deaths of her mother and brother left her even more alone. In their grief, instead of becoming closer, she and her elderly grandfather had grown further apart, each wallowing in their own sorrow for much too long. True, Kagome loved her Ojii, and her loved her, no doubt, but they were never gain destined to be as close as they once were. In truth, Kagome felt it may in fact be a relief to the old man if she left. The more and more she thought of it, the more she began to think it might be worth it to try the old, dry well to see if it would still let her through. A determination that had been nonexistent for much to long lit in her eyes as she made up her mind, glancing once more out the rainy glass.

********

"I must have done something horribly evil in a past life, to deserve such horror as this from Buddha," the former monk sighed, as he walked from the merchant stand back to his humble, yet large, hut, his arms laden with bolts of flowery fabrics.
"Maybe if you'd stop violating your poor wife, she'd stop birthing girls, houshi," snapped the silver-haired male who accompanied him. "Serves you right, anyway. You're such a pervert, you deserve a house full of women to take care of."
"I suppose that the Kami are punishing me for my past habits," Miroku sighed, readjusting the heavy load in his arms. "Especially when he blesses me with my beautiful wife, plus three wonderful daughters and a sakura festival every spring. Oh, by the way, did I tell you that Nozomi is starting to pull herself up on furniture now? Another lovely daughter about to walk. This one not 15 turns of the moon, and Noriko and Naomi not yet four summers. Oh, yes, it's wonderful to be a father to three such healthy girls," Miroku boasted jokingly, once again shifting the weight of the fabric.
"You reap what you sow, monk," answered InuYasha, smirking slightly at the monk's unfortunate predicament. "Besides, if you want to stop having daughters, simply stop mating with the tajiya, Miroku. Sango cannot become pregnant if you stop willing her to do so."
"Ah, true, my hanyou friend, but it would be a pity to waste such a wife, especially one who looks particularly beautiful with child."
InuYasha winced at the former houshi's implications. Suddenly, a familiar scent reached his nose. One which smelled like the sakura in early spring, like the forest on a lazy summer afternoon, like honey fresh from the hive. I know this scent, he thought, wracking his brain for what it could be. It was faint, but distinct, and he knew he should be able to easily place it. But he hadn't smelled it in so long, almost 6 summers had passed since he smelled it last. Then the realization hit him.
"Kagome..."
"InuYasha? Did you just say 'Kagome?'" queried the confused houshi, as he turned away from his hut to look at his companion, his befuddlement evident on his face.
"Hai... I think... I know... I have to go, Miroku... Something's happening, I know it."
"Hai... I understand. Come by later, let me know what has occurred."
"Hai," the perplexed hanyou almost whispered, taking off in the direction of the old forgotten Bone-Eater's well.

********

Kagome was nearly sobbing as she packed many of her clothes, along with some more sentimental items she needed to take with her. Photos, mementos, anything that she could fit into the huge yellow back pack and one medium suitcase she had decided to take with her. She would miss it here if the well allowed her to pass, but she simply didn't feel she belonged here anymore. As she decided that there was nothing more here she needed to take with her, a strange sense of calm washed over her. If this works, I'm going home.
Peeking around the corner to make sure Koji-san was not there, she breathed a sigh of relief at his absence and entered. Opening the pantry door, she looked at the higher than average stack of ramen that seemed like it had always been there in the cupboard. Taking a deep breath, she slowly but deliberated packed the entire stack into the yellow bag. The ever-present stockpile of ramen was but one more thing that reminded her of those she had lost. But hopefully, if all went as planned, if the Kami showed mercy on her, she would be able to regain at least one of them.
Setting her shoulders under the weight of the pack, and shifting the suitcase from her right hand to her left, Kagome opened the kitchen door and set off for the well-house. This is it, no turning back now, she thought, squaring herself for the moment her feet would hit the bottom of the well in the long distant past, yet trying not to let herself get too hopeful, too sure of the well's cooperation.
"Kagome..."
She froze, her grandfather's now ever-calm voice filling her with fear, with doubt about her plan.
"You are going to try to go through the well, ne?" he asked, his voice filled with a gentle acceptance, as if he had been expecting it for years. "I expected as much would happen one day. Ever since you came back for good, there seems to have been an emptiness about you. Your mother wondered when you would simply get up and leave as you are doing now. I cannot say I blame you, Grand-daughter. Ever since your mother and Souta... I cannot... I haven't... Well, I haven't been the Ojii I should have been. Gomen nasai, Kagome-chan. I will not stop you, not if this is what you need to fulfill your life, to make yourself happy. You mother and father, they would be so proud of you right now."
"I'm so sorry, Ojii-san, but I need to go. I have no choice. I feel like my soul is dying here," she explained, tears stinging the back of her eyes. "Will you be... Will you be all right?"
"Hai, Kagome. Koji-san is here now, he will help me. And you have cousins whom the shrine may be left to. Do not worry for this old man. Go on. Reclaim what is yours."
Kagome turned and embraced the old man, her grandfather, her mentor, the only blood family she had remaining.
"I love you, Ojii-san. I will never, ever forget you. May you live long enough to be the cantankerous old man you always pretended to be." The old man stroked her midnight hair, and patted her head, holding back his own tears. There was no need for words from him. She knew how he felt from this simple gesture.
"All right, go on now. Don't keep that hanyou of your waiting."
And with that, she was off.


I don't remember it being so deep, Kagome thought, staring down into the dark oblivion that was the Bone-Eater's well. Did I really use to just jump in, oblivious to what would happen if I actually hit the bottom? Taking a deep breath, she hoisted the heavy yellow pack over her shoulders once more, lifted the suitcase over the side, and climbed over the edge onto the dusty old ladder which occupied the space. She climbed down slowly, silently breathing prayers and pleas that she would be allowed to cross through the well. looking down, she knew she had reached the bottom of the creaking wooden ladder. Kami-sama, please, I beg you, she prayed silently, taking a deep breath and letting go of the ladder.

* * * * * * * *

Kagome breathed deeply, the untainted air sweet to her senses, smelling of fresh flowers and the forest soil after a deep rain. She laid her burdensome bag on the ground, tears filling her eyes. I made it, thank Kami, I made it! Suddenly, she felt the irresistible need to see the Tree. Goshinboku seemed to call to it's wayward daughter, drawing her to it, to the spot that had really started her story in this strange and distant land. She sighed, breathing deeply, reaching up to let her fingers gently brush the spot where he had been pinned. This is where it all began. This is where I met him. This is where I left my heart behind. She was so lost in thought, she didn't even notice the flash of silver and red as it entered the small clearing where the Goshinboku was. Her eyes closed in remembrance, she barely heard the whispered word.
"Ka...Kagome?"
********





Author's Note: Before I get flamed for killing off Higurashi-san and Souta, please understand. I needed something to cause Kagome to give up hope in her own time, something major to push her into attempting to return to InuYasha's time. Her loneliness, having left her friends in the past after the jewel was complete, coupled with the traumatic event of loosing her mother and brother, and the state of her relationship with her grandfather have left her with a strong state of depression to deal with. I don't have this story mapped out or anything, I have a sense of where I want it to go, however. It will unfold more as a drama than action, my aim is to deal more with mental trials rather than inventing a new enemy to fight. Kagome's mental condition and rekindling her romance with InuYasha will be my main concerns. I am hoping it will be a long and bumpy ride. I would greatly appreciate any feedback that could be given, however, I request only helpful feedback be given. Please don't bother to review if you're only going to tell me how horrible the story is, without offering any help or advice on how to make it better.
Thank you!
~Arisha-Chan