InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Welcome Home ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own any rights to InuYasha, or any related characters. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, her publishers, and the animation companies responsible for the show. I do however, own any original characters i may or may not create for the purpose of this story.




He couldn't believe his eyes. There she was, the girl who had tormented his memories for the past five years. Her long ebony hair shifter lightly in the breeze, it had grown longer since he had seen her last. The green and pink sun dress hugged her figure perfectly, flaring evenly about her legs. He noticed she had lost weight. Her cheeks had a sunken and sullen look to them. He watched as she brushed her fingers over the smooth portion of the massive trunk, the spot where Kikyou had imprisoned him, that Kagome had released him from. Her eyes held a sadly vacant look in them, as if her mind were millions of miles away.
"Ka... Kagome..." he breathed. She turned, shock apparent on her face. Her eyes lit up when they fell on him, tears springing into them almost instantly. InuYasha's breathing stopped. He couldn't believe she was actually standing before his eyes.

He looked exactly as she had remembered him. Silver hair fanned behind him in the breeze, triangular white ears perked in her direction, the left flicking nervously. His golden eyes shone with a hesitant hope.
"InuYasha," she cried, a sudden sob wracking her body, causing her to fall to her knees. In an instant he was beside her, holding her, his own sobs matching hers.
"Kami, Kagome," he cried, holding her tighter. "I thought I'd never see you again. I knew I'd never see you again... How did you... The well, it let you through?"
"Hai," she said, trying to regain her composure. "I wanted to come home. There's nothing for me anymore in my time... In the future. Mama and Souta... I wasn't needed anymore. I needed to come back."
"You're staying? Permanently?" he asked, having expected that if she would come back at all, it would simply be a temporary visit.
"Hai. I'm home, InuYasha. Please, take me home." The pair returned to the well to gather Kagome's bags, and slowly, each cherishing the time spent with the other, they returned to the village.

*******

Kagome sat around the fire pit with her friends, her family, as her heart warmed for the first time in a long while. It was chilly outside, but the fire along with the company gave the hut a warmth that filled her with a happiness she hadn't known in a long time, at least since her mother and brother had died, possibly longer. The meal was simple, the setting plain, but the comfort she felt in this place was one that she was sure the rich paid massive amounts for.
"I just can't believe you're really here to stay, Kagome-chan," said Sango, handing the young woman a plate of rice balls. "I always hoped you'd come back some day, but we never expected it would be to stay if you did. When you never returned, we all assumed the well wouldn't let you. InuYasha even tried to go through to visit you, but couldn't make it through. He said the well simply glowed pink for a moment, then nothing," she explained, as she pried a young, brown haired toddler from Miroku's back. "We were devastated. You'll never know how terribly we missed you, I especially, when the girls were born. I wanted so badly for you to see them."
"Well, at least I'll be able to see this one," Kagome said, a genuine smile on her face as she patted Sango's swollen belly. "Perhaps this time, Miroku will be lucky and receive a boy."
"I doubt it," InuYasha replied. "He seems destined to populate the world with female pups."
"We'll see, InuYasha, we'll see. I'll bet this one will be a boy. A beautiful, healthy baby boy," Kagome giggled, reaching for Nozomi, tickling her belly.
"No, Aunt 'Gome, no tickle!" the child giggled, flailing about.
"A son would be wonderful. I love our three girls, but I would love a son, too. It matters not, however. So long as the child is healthy, ne?" Miroku stated, helping Sango down onto a cushion.
"So where are you going to stay, Kagome? We can make room for you here, in our hut, if you like. We will need to add on, anyway, when the girls are old enough to require privacy," Sango asked.
"No, Sango, I don't wish to intrude. Your house is full enough already, without me getting underfoot. Besides, I was kind of thinking of staying on my own. I know there were a few abandoned huts here when I left. Are they still standing?"
"Unfortunately, no, they aren't," said Miroku. "There was a disease epidemic two years ago and the ill were quarantined in them. For safety's sake, they were burned afterwards to keep the disease from spreading again. However, Kaede's hut still stands. The villagers decided to keep it as a residence for the village Miko, and as they have none right now, the hut stands unoccupied."
"Are you hinting that I should become the village Miko, Miroku?" Kagome asked, knowing what a good con artist the former monk could be.
"You do not have to if you do not want to, Kagome," he continued. "However, remember, you still hold the respect and loyalty of this village. You are the strongest Miko ever known, and they would be honored to have you serve them, and let them serve you, as well. To be honest, I think they had been holding off on sending for a new Miko, hoping that you would someday return. The Kami seem to have smiled upon this humble village, for here you are, and the position still sits unfilled."
"Let me consider it, Miroku. I don't even know if I still have my powers. I haven't had a reason to attempt to use them for five years. I'm out of practice, you know?"
"Hai, Kagome. Perhaps after you have settled in for a few days, we can go out into the fields and test to see if you do, indeed, still have your Miko powers," he conceded, letting the matter drop for the moment.
"Well, at least stay with us until you find somewhere permanent to stay, or if you decide not to take Kaede's hut, one may be built for you. I'm sure both Miroku and InuYasha would be willing to help, if that be the case," said Sango, smiling.
"Thanks, guys," said Kagome, the emotion showing in her eyes. "I missed you all so much. I'm so happy to be back."
"And we are happy to have you back, Kagome-sama," replied Miroku, bowing as low as one who was sitting could to the young woman.

********

Kagome sighed as she leaned back to lay down in the crisp spring grass. The stars here always were so much brighter. She recalled the many times she and InuYasha had sat here before, staring up into the night sky. She even remembered the one time she tried to explain to him what scientists in her time had determined the stars to be.

"Flaming balls of gas? What kind of gas?"
"Hydrogen, helium... they burn until all that is used up and then they explode. Some of them even turn into black holes."
"What's a 'black hole?'"
"It's like... Like the Kazaana in Miroku's hand, except bigger, bigger than the whole earth, out in the universe."
"Hmm... It seems to me like they don't know, so they made it up."
"Well, what's your explanation?"
"They're the flowers of Amaterasu-sama's garden."
"That's beautiful. Who told you that?"
"My mother."

"Kagome?" Shaking herself out of her reverie, Kagome turned to see InuYasha staring at her, confusion evident in his eyes.
"I'm sorry, I must have zoned out for a minute. What's up?"
"Why did you come back?" he asked. "Not that I'm complaining! I'm not. I... I like having you back. But when I saw you, you looked so sad. What happened?"
"You really have grown up, haven't you, InuYasha?"
"Huh?"
"I told you, InuYasha. There was nothing left for me there. My mother and Souta... They died, a year ago... There was a car accident... A drunk driver hit them, and... The car was destroyed... And Ojii-san, he didn't need me anymore. Truth be told, after Mama and Souta were gone, all we seemed to do was either argue or not speak for weeks. I... I couldn't stay there anymore, InuYasha. I was so unhappy. I almost felt like dying. If I died, then I could be with those I loved. I my time, everyone here is dead. My mother and Souta are dead. I just wanted to be with my family. I figured it would be easier to come here." Kagome wiped at the tears that stung her eyes. She sighed, not having wanted to tell him the real reasons she returned. At least not yet. "I'm sorry. I know you must think I'm weak for having felt that way. But... I mean... I could only take so much, you know? I was just starting to get over having lost everyone here when the accident happened... Suddenly everyone was gone. Not just you guys, but everyone. It hurt. I thought I'd die from the pain alone. But I think it will help me here. I mean, I've always known what it was like for Miroku and Shippou, loosing their fathers. But now I know what it was like for you, loosing your mother, and Sango, loosing Kohaku. Maybe it will help me get along better and make me as strong as you all are."
"You haven't changed at all," whispered InuYasha, pulling her towards him. "You're still looking at everything through rose-colored glass, trying to find a way to make the best of it all. You need to allow yourself to grieve, Kagome. Take the time to breathe, to mourn for them. None of us ever got that chance. You need to seize it. You'll be better for it in the end." With those words, her resolve broke. Sobs ran through her body, hard, and the sound brought tears to InuYasha's eyes. "That's it, cry it out. You haven't even allowed yourself that much yet, have you?"
"I miss them so much," she sobbed, the words coming out as broken hiccups, her tears soaking through the fire-rat haori.
"Everything will be all right, Kagome. Your mother, I know she's proud of you. How could she not be?" he cooed, trying his best to comfort her, yet at the same time, let her express her sorrow. He held her until the tears stopped, and then until her breathing evened out and she fell asleep. Lifting her gently, he held her bridal style, asleep in his arms, and carried her back to Sango and Miroku's hut.

"InuYasha, what's happened? Is she all right?" said Sango, stepping aside to let the hanyou in the door to lay the sleeping young woman on the futon that had been prepared for her.
"She's fine, Sango, just exhausted and mourning."
"Mourning? What has happened, InuYasha?" asked Miroku, stepping from the back room of the hut, a concernd look on his face.
"Her mother and brother... they died. They were in what she called a 'car accident.'"
"Oh, no... Poor Kagome..."
"Don't Sango. Your pity isn't going to help her heal. From what I understand, mentally she's avoided dealing with it for a year. She need to mourn, but pity isn't going to help her. She probably would rather I didn't tell you about it. Treat her as you normally would. Don't mention it to her. She doesn't need the constant reminder. Just let her heal on her own. If she needs to talk, she will," said InuYasha, in such a way that let Sango know the hanyou wasn't kidding. He expected her to comply with his decision, and since Sango knew that his demon side considered him the alpha of the pack, she needed to listen.
"Hai, InuYasha," Miroku answered for her. "We will not mention it, nor will we act strangely around her. If she decides to confide in us, she will do it on her own, not with our prying."
"Arigato. I'll return in the morning. Goodnight."
"Goodnight, InuYasha."




Author's Note: Amiterasu is the Shinto Sun Goddess. She is one of, if not the most important goddess in Shinto.

Also: I know my chapters are short. The word processor I have (Jarte) for some reason makes them look a LOT longer than they actually are. I think it's the view it uses. I miss Word. I will attempt to make them longer, however, right now, it's 2:30 am and I'm tired as hell. I'm done messing with this right now.

Oh, and for those of you expecting lemons, limes, etc: Those will be later in the story. I need to have IY and Kag work through their personal problems (yes IY has some too, they just haven't come up yet) before they can move into the happy, healthy relationship game. Something (but what?) may happen before everything is completely resolved, but I haven't decided what yet. Again, this is not an action fic, it's a drama/angst. I'm horrible at writing action (I don't even know where to begin in writing battle sceenes). I avoid it like the plague. So please don't flame me for it. If I can get myself to be able to write an honestly good battle scene, I may put one in, but I wouldn't count on it. Sorry if that disappoints anyone.
Again, read and review please. I'm not one to hold a story hostage, but I would like some feedback. Thanks!
-Arisha-chan