InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Welcome Home ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own any rights to InuYasha, or any related characters. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, her publishers, and the animation companies responsible for the show. I do however, own any original characters I may or may not create for the purpose of this story.



InuYasha sighed as the sun's orange rays began to sneak up and over the horizon. Suddenly, the sky and forest exploded in a wave of pink light, as morning claimed the land for the day. The hanyou barely noticed, his thoughts far away. The past five years had been hard on him, as well. When the well had refused to let him through, when Kagome hadn't returned, his heart had broken. As always, he had masked his pain in anger, preferring that to admitting what was wrong. Any youkai that came near was punishable for the well's crime against him. He blamed himself for having never really told her how he felt, for never having said the words. Maybe, he had thought, if he had told her, she would have stayed.

The day of Kagome's journey home through the well, he had fought with her. As always, when she needed to go home, he had argued, saying she was needed there. He didn't even remember what his argument had been, but he knew it had made her angry, and as always she ran to the well. He was thankful, however, that she had apparently thought better of blindly jumping into the well after the jewel had been purified. She had calmed herself, returned to the village, and said her goodbyes to the rest of the group. Their goodbyes had been tearful, but she promised she would come back to visit if she could. He had growled to himself, wishing he could go to her, wishing he could tell her how he felt. But as always, his pride interrupted him, never allowing him to do what he wanted, but instead, forcing him to do what he thought he was supposed to do. If she really cares, she'll stay, he thought, watching as she walked slowly towards the well, her green skirt fluttering in the wind, her onyx hair whipping about her. He could smell the salt of her tears, and knew she was crying. His heart was screaming for him to go after her, but his pride, still angered from their argument, refused to allow him to do so. He watched from the forest as she stopped by the well. She seemed to hesitate, looking back, as if she weren't going to jump, after all. His hopes soared. I knew she wouldn't go, he thought, smugly. She can't go, not when we need her here. Then, to his horror, he heard her whispered words, and fear gripped his very soul.
"Goodbye, InuYasha."
She turned, her entire body shaking, gripped the side of the well, and with an audible sob, jumped in. From his vantage point, InuYasha could see the pink flash that indicated she had entered the time-slip. He jumped from the tree he had been roosting in, growling at his own stubbornness. He jumped into the well, intent on apologizing to her, begging her to come back. However, when he hit the bottom of the well, there was an almost blinding flash of the familiar pink light, and then nothing. He didn't find himself on Kagome's side of the well. When he looked up, there was still pristine blue sky. The ladder, added to the well by Kagome's mother, was missing. To his horror, the well hadn't worked for him. He jumped out, and then back in. This time, there wasn't even a flash of light. Nothing happened. No, Kami, NO! His thoughts raced, alarm roaring through his mind like wildfire. He had lost her. The woman he loved was gone, and he couldn't bring her back. Why had he been so stubborn? He could have stopped her, he knew he could have. But he had let his pride win, and in the process, lost the only woman he had ever truly loved.

InuYasha sighed again, breaking himself from his reverie. The entire landscape was covered in a hue of gold. The great cypress forest came alive with the sunrise, with all manner of living being moving about and singing its praises to the new day.
His mind raced, trying to think of ways to tell the young miko how he felt. He was never good with words, and let his temper get the best of him almost constantly. He knew he wouldn't get a chance any time soon if he didn't do it within the next few day. Shippou, the young kitsune child they had befriended during their search for the Shikon jewel shards, would be returning soon. The kit had gone to visit a distant uncle to learn more about how to control his illusion abilities. He knew Kagome would be looking forward to spending some time with the child she had all but adopted as her own. She had asked about him several times, sounding fearful that something had befallen him. No, once the kit returned, InuYasha knew he would get very little time with Kagome.
"Are you going to stay up there all day?"
He looked down to see the very woman he had been contemplating staring up at him, her smile brightening the morning all the more. He was glad to see her smile. Over the past week since her return, she seemed to have smiled very little, and mostly only when she was around Sango or Miroku. She hadn't told them the reason she chose to return yet, and InuYasha didn't blame her. She didn't want their pity, and being the doting "old siblings" that they were, he knew that the moment she mentioned it to them, they would be on her in a heartbeat, asking if she were all right, if she needed anything, et cetera. He and Kagome both knew they meant well, but when concerned, they could sometimes be a little suffocating.
"What are you doing up so early?" he asked, jumping from Goshinboku's branches. "The girls get up early again?" Miroku and Sango's daughters, he knew, were precocious children, and on more than one occasion, had woken up before dawn and insisted that their parents wake up with them.
"No, no," assured Kagome. "I've decided to accept the village's offer and become the new miko. I do need the place to stay, and they do need a miko. So I figured I'd go over to the old hut and clean it, maybe arrange some of my things inside. Want to help?"
"Keh, you mean, 'Want to move the heavy things for me, InuYasha?'" he asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Whatever you say. I was hoping to have the company."
"I'll come. Just don't expect me to clean anything, wench," he huffed, turning to lead the way to the former miko's hut. Kagome smiled and followed close behind.

*******

"Did she suffer?" asked Kagome, as she carefully packed some of Kaede's more personal mementos into a small crate.
"She was very old, Kagome. About sixty or sixty-five summers," InuYasha replied, gently.
"I know that, InuYasha. But did she suffer?"
"A little, I guess," he answered, fingering a kotodama the old woman had made. "She coughed a lot. But she didn't seem to be in any real pain. Just like she was having a bit of trouble breathing. We made her as comfortable as we could. She was just too old, though. Her body just couldn't keep up with her anymore. She was still just as quick of mind and wit when she died, though. She didn't suffer like more old people do. She said she was glad to go. She was tired. She had lived long enough to... to help us with our journey, and that was what counted to her. When she finally went, it was like... like she just fell asleep." InuYasha tried hard to keep the tears prickling at his eyes from escaping. In truth, he had never really hated the old baba. He had thought of her as a sort of grandmother, and respected her more than anyone he had ever met.
"I miss her a lot," Kagome admitted, lovingly shutting the crate, and tucking it into a nearby trunk. "I wish she were still here. I could use her help so much. I have no idea how to be a miko. I'm untrained. I don't know anywhere near as much as she did about herbs and such things. She could make a poultice of potion for any illness or injury you brought before her."
"You'll do fine, Kagome," he assured her, setting the rosary back into its box. "You know a great deal already, Kaede taught you a lot of what she knew. And what you don't know, you'll learn. Sango knows how to make some medicines, I'm sure she'll teach you. And Miroku, having been a priest, I'm sure he knows something about controlling your powers. I'm sure he can help."
Kagome stood, smiling. "Thank you, InuYasha. You've always been a lot more confident in me that I have, myself. Even if you said otherwise."
She moved forward and hugged him. The action shocked the hanyou at first, but he returned the gesture. He buried his nose in her hair, taking in her unique scent, stroking it gently with his claws.
"Kagome, I..." he trailed off, wondering how to say the words that were in his heart.
"Yes, InuYasha?"
He panicked, fearing the rejection that he knew would come. I can't ask her love a worthless hanyou. Even if she did, I can't ask her to live that life. "I think we should go. Sango and Miroku are expecting us for dinner. We don't want to be late."
"Oh, right..." Kagome replied, disappointment heavy in her voice. "Let's go then," she said, trying obviously not to sound upset. For a moment, she had thought he was going to say something much more important. He had sounded so emotional, as if he were going to burst if he didn't say what he needed to say. Oh well, she thought. I suppose I was wrong.

******

Kagome stretched out, reaching for the top of the doorway to re-hang the bamboo flap that covered it.
"There," she said, fastening it into place. "All done. How's it going up there, guys?"
"Don't even think of asking me to do this ever again, wench," InuYasha grumbled, fitting the wooden shingle into place amongst the older ones. "Next time, just put a bucket under the hole and leave me out of it!"
"Come now, InuYasha, we cannot have Kagome-sama living in a home that is unfit," said Miroku, nailing a shingle into place. "Besides, it is only right that we villagers care for our miko's housing needs."
"Speak for yourself, Miroku. Remember, I'm not a villager."
"Hai, InuYasha. You are not, in fact, a villager. However, you are Kagome-sama's protector, and she does need to be protected from the falling rain, ne?"
"I said I'd protect her, not do maintenance for her," the hanyou hissed. "I ain't a carpenter, if you didn't notice!" Miroku laughed good-naturedly, shifting the last of the shingles into place and fastening it.
"There," he said, wiping his brow. "Finished. I dare say, Kagome-sama, I do not believe an ant could get through this roof."
"Thanks, guys," said Kagome. She stepped back to look at the roof. The new shingles were light colored in comparison to the old, but time would darken them.
"Kagome, the herb garden is weeded and ready for sowing," said Sango, walking towards the miko. "I don't believe that the girls can possibly get any more dirt on them, however." Kagome looked the three girls over. The twins, Noriko and Naomi, looked as if they had been in a dirt fight, and Nozomi looked as if she had been trying to eat the grainy brown substance. "I think perhaps I should take them to the spring and bathe them."
"Well, I'm done here with the windows and door. Do you need any help with them?" Kagome asked, rubbing her aching wrists.
"Hai, it would be appreciated."
"All right, let me grab my things," Kagome replied, heading into the hut.
"Are you sure the two of you can handle the three, Sango-chan?" asked Miroku, climbing down from the roof. "I can go with you if you would like."
"Iie, Miroku. Kagome and I will be bathing, also," she stated, squaring her shoulders and glaring and the former monk. "Do not revert to your taihaiteki ways, Miroku. You will find yourself to be a very lonely husband if you do so."
Miroku frowned. "You misunderstand, Sango-chan. The only woman I want is you. I was simply concerned that you may need some help with the children, that's all. Please, do not be angry with me, nushi."
"Do not try to pacify me with such blatant endearments, obousan. You had better be telling the truth." Sango spun on her heels, meeting Kagome by the door. Kagome lifted Nozomi into her arms, Sango took Noriko and Naomi's hands, and they were off.
"I wonder what has gotten into Sango?" Miroku fretted, scratching the back of his head. "She seems quite quick to anger as of recent."
"Her time is close," InuYasha answered, startling him. In his efforts to pacify his angry wife, he had forgotten the hanyou's close proximity.
"How close?" stuttered Miroku, spinning to look at him.
"Within two days time."
"Are you sure?" pressed Miroku.
"Wasn't I right about the other two times?"
"Indeed," the soon-to-be father of four conceded, anticipation and nervousness running through his veins.






Author's Note: First of all, I'd like to say thank you to those who reviewed: fallenangel7583, Seiteki Tenshi, and sakuralovesinuyasha. Encouragement always helps me to keep going. I hope this chapter meets your expectations!

Secondly, I apologize profusely for any spelling/use/grammar mistakes that may come up. there are occasions where my fingers go faster than my brain, and the word processor I am currently using (Jarte) doesn't have all that great of a spell-checker. (The word 'poultice' apparently doesn't exist.) It constantly misses words that are misspelled, or thinks words that are spelled properly (i.e. POULTICE!!!!!) are wrong. Plus, there is nothing even remotely resembling a grammar checker, so if I accidentally try to spell, say, lose, and type loose, I'm boned. And unfortunately, I don't have anyone to beta for me and catch my retarded mistakes. So again, I apologize for that inconvenience.
Also: fallenangel mentioned something about Kagome's age, and I thought maybe, so I don't get asked later, I should clarify how old everyone is. InuYasha, since we're never told how exactly how old he is, but allusions are made to at least 200 at the time of Naraku's deception, is still approximately 250 years old (including the time he spent pinned to the tree). I estimate that the journey to gather all the jewel shards would have to have taken them at least 1 1/2-2 years. For the sake of this story I'm going with three years. Since Kag was pulled into the well on her 15th b-day, that would make her about 18 when she left. So now, she is about 22. Miro would be about 26, by my assumption (however, I'm never going to actually say their ages in this, so feel free to put them at whatever age you want) and Sango would be about 24 or 25. So now you know! :)
On a final note, about Kaede's death: I've seen people get flamed often for 'offing' Kaede. However, as much as I adore her as a character, given the timeline I am trying to create, her approximate age during the series (based on how old she looked during scenes of Kikyou's death plus the 50 years between then and Kagome's arrival), and really, the time period she would have lived in, I'd say that she lived well past her life expectancy. During the series, she's around 60, add that to the 8 years I've added for the journey in the series and the 5 years since, and that equals older than she should have lived to be in that time period. There is a reason behind my madness. Plus, it adds more emotional baggage to the characters I'm already emotionally abusing.
Thanks,
~ArishaChan

(By the way, to reiterate my point about the spell checker, while checking the above notes, it informed me that 'timelines' is a real word, but 'timeline' is not.)