InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What a Woman ❯ What I Am ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: See first chapter

Chapter 4: What I Am.

Kag POV

It has been 30 years since I have begun to hunt the fiend known as Naraku. He is gaining power quickly and I have yet to learn of what I am. I sigh in defeat, I keep wishing that he was with me. My one true love, I yearn for him but still I have not been able to slow down in my chase of Naraku enough to visit him or even see him. Did I really love him though? I sighed and the cool winds caressed my face as a stood on a hill top that over looked a small village. It had been a long day. The sun seemed to charm and caress the sky into the dark of night.

Normal POV

Kagome hopped into a tree near the village and decided that here was a comfortable place to sleep. She had not noticed an old woman step beneath her tree. The old woman looked up at her and chuckled.

"Kagome, you will learn what you are today."

She turned from her and left in less than a blink without a sound leaving a still sleeping Kagome. When Kagome awoke the next morning unlike the days before she was refreshed and energetic. In the distance she heard the wail of a kit in distress, something about the fear in the kit's voice pulled at her and she sped off to save it. The sun shown brightly barely touched her form as she streaked through the trees to see and get the kit. When she arrived she saw a male snake demon getting ready to pounce on a poor red furred kit, her instincts kicked into gear and she front flipped in front of the kit and growled warningly at the hungry snake. Kagome spoke icily and narrowed her eyes.

"I suggest you back up and get away from this kit before you die."

The snake hissed angrily as she interrupted his meal, he struck at her and she jumped up, sliced the demon in two and wasted no time in getting back to the young fox's side. Approaching the ball of fur carefully so he would see that she wasn't a threat, Kagome kneeled down next to him and stroked his head briefly. He stiffened at first but the poked his head out and eyed Kagome carefully. She placed a warm smile on her face and he simply melted. Kagome spoke finally after letting him examine both her scent and visually.

"Hi I'm Kagome."

Shippo smiled and looked at her. Taking in her scent he knew she could be trusted. She smelled of raspberries and warm summer nights. There was no scent of dishonesty.

"I'm Shippo. You are who I've been looking for. You are the legendary fox goddess. I dreamed of you. "

Kagome gasped at his words. It all made sense now. She knew why her family protected her and why she was on earth now. She was to save the earth or let it rot in its own corruption. She had to observe and protect all of those who were pure of heart and mind.

Kagome smiled. She Kagome was the fox goddess protector of the Shikon no Tama, she had to protect the jewel which la in her body from corruption.

"Thank you little one. You have helped me to figure out who I am."

She held out her arms to him as she got up from her knees.

"You may come with me Shippo, for I know you have no one and I don't want you to be alone."

Shippo immediately jumped into her arms and nuzzled her neck softly.

"I would love to come with you. I have no one anyway, my parents died years ago."

Kagome walked from the clearing that held the snake demon with Shippo in her arms. Her eyes were clouded with thought as she walked.

`I am a fox goddess.'