InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What doesn't kill us makes us stronger? ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru knew something was horribly wrong even before he arrived, he saw Rin running towards him the look on her face was enough to make him feel slightly panicked. Rin ran to Sesshomaru half yelling, half crying and begging him to hurry to Kagome. Rin's kimono had blood all over it. She cried as she told him the mirror was broken and Kagome was cut and bleeding very badly. Rin was too young to really understand what was really going on.
 
"Pleeease! Lord Sesshomaru you have to hurry." Rin grabbed his large hand in her own, fearlessly she tugged him pleading with her doe eyes, and wavering voice leading to Kagome's room. "Kagome is hurt, there is so much blood, and you have to fix her. Like you did for me."
 
Sesshomaru entered Kagome's darkened room. The coppery scent of blood-hung heavy in the room, the smell of her tears hinted underneath it. Her panic and fear had been so strong it still charged the air, pricking Sesshomaru's senses.
 
"Rin you need to leave. Go collect some clean clothes for Kagome." He gave her a look she knew meant now.
 
 
 
Sesshomaru knelt down next to Kagome her deep red blood stained his bright white garment, Rin was correct there was too much blood. Kagome was almost completely gone. He pulled Kagome out of the broken glass and blood into his lap, brushing her raven hair from her face the moonlight gave her an angelic glow. He did not wish Rin here to watch Kagome die. It was difficult for even him to watch her life draining away. He had seen death many times before, yet it had never affected him like this. He wanted her to hear him one last time, his tensaiga could bring her back but it seemed to have a mind of its own, he could not be sure it would work, he wanted Kagome to know how he had grown to care for her. He had watched her for years traveling with Inuyasha, yelling at him, sitting him, loving him and letting him get away with things she should not have to let him get away with and forgiving his trespasses. He saw her great courage, her spirit that could not be crushed even when faced with certain death. Naraku forced her to bury that tenacious spirit, Sesshomaru would find away to get it back. Maybe she could love him as she had Inuyasha, no he wanted her to love him more. He did not dare tell her the truth, which was, he was falling in love with her. He was not ready to admit that to himself and he would not burden her with the truth.
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru talked to her sweetly, softly. She would not hear, she was too far-gone.
 
"Kagome, did your mother never tell you, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. You are strong Kagome. You will not die, I will not allow you to die. You infuriate me to no end, you are inflexible, brash, and noisy. However, you are also compassionate, generous and loving. I saw the way you behaved with Inuyasha, he would have been fortunate to have you, but he was a fool not to see what you offered, he was unwise to choose the dead miko over you. Inuyasha should have been thankful to have such a loyal, warm, gentle, beautiful woman. You forced me respect humans like I never thought possible, you have changed me. You will not die Kagome. You cannot leave me, not since you have awakened this fire in my soul. I have never felt this before, you will not leave me like this. I refuse to allow this."
 
He listened as her heart beat one final time, as her last sweet breath escaped her pale blue tinted lips. Tensaiga pulsed at his side. He had never been glad that his father gave him this sword instead of Inuyasha's Tetsusaiga until today. He set Kagome down and drew his sword, how fitting that the sword of heaven would save this angel. He sliced through the demons sending them back to the netherworld in one graceful sweep. Kagome gasped for her first breath after having died. He sheathed his sword and pulled her back into his embrace.
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome's sparkling deep brown eyes fluttered open and filled with tears.
 
"I heard what you said, my mother had told me that before. How do you get stronger if the pain is too unbearable? What do you do when you can't eat, sleep or breathe without being reminded of the.... *Sob* you should have let me stay dead. You shouldn't care what happens to me. I can't do this, I'm not strong, I'm a weak human, and Naraku has left me forever tainted." Kagome looked down at the drying blood covering her kimono.
 
"I don't deserve to live after what I let happen to me."
 
Sesshomaru grabbed her chin and tilted her face to meet his gaze.
 
"It is impossible for Naraku to taint you, you are purity in every sense of the word. You are not at fault, he is a bastard, you did nothing wrong, you were hurt and misplaced your trust. Naraku will die for what he has done, I promise you this." Sesshomaru took a slow breath and looked at her. All Kagome could do was stare in his eyes, incredible golden eyes, the color was so intense, like liquid gold, Kagome saw real emotion there for the first time, and it was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.
 
Sesshomaru then told her.
"If you cannot sleep, then I will stay awake with you. If you are frightened, I will hold you. If you are too weak to stand, I will carry you. If you are defenseless, I will protect you, from this day until forever. If the darkness becomes too much to bear, I will be your light."
 
It was the first time since Naraku had taken her she felt anything but pain, she felt hope. Rin knocked at Kagome's door before entering she smiled when she saw them together. Kagome in Sesshomaru's lap propped up against his chest. Sesshomaru was still holding Kagome's face, his hand no longer holding her chin but lightly caressing her delicate cheek his thumb stroking her soft skin. Tensaiga had healed Kagome's cuts and bruises, outside she was Kagome again, now maybe he could help her heal inside. Who knew it was possible this human woman completely enamored him.