InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What doesn't kill us makes us stronger? ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
 
 
 
 
The long hot days of summer were gone, days had turned to weeks to months, leaves changed and had begun to float to the ground in the chilly late fall winds. Sesshomaru had seen the progress Kagome had been making, and it contented him. Kagome had smiled a few times at Rin and Jaken's antics, he thought it would be nice to hear her laughter, but she wasn't there yet. Sesshomaru stood in the doorway watching Kagome she had come far but there was still away to go, she needed to get stronger, she would have to face everything eventually and he wanted her to be fully prepared. Kagome sat on a large cushion on the floor in Rin's bedroom watching Rin's game of let's dress Jaken like a girl. In truth it amused Sesshomaru to watch too, the fact that Rin drove Jaken as crazy as he drove Sesshomaru seemed to have a certain fairness and humor.
 
 
Sesshomaru walked over to Kagome and leaned over to speak quietly in her ear, he made a mental note that she did not jump as he approached from behind.
"Kagome, I need to talk to you." She turned and looked him in the eyes, something about them made her feel safe. His eyes had become so warm and welcoming the past few months.
"Sure Sesshomaru. Should we talk here or somewhere else?" He looked at her and wished that she had really wanted to be alone with him.
"Let us find a quieter place to talk." He reached out a hand to her to help her to her feet, not because she needs it, just because he wanted to feel her soft skin against his hand. Sesshomaru lead her out to the garden, the fall leaves yellow, red and oranges made for an earthy rainbow of trees. The trees were half bare now as winter quickly approached. They walk for a few minutes in silence but they had no need for words sometimes, it was different and yet it was calming. The brisk wind whipped her hair causing it to flow around her face like black satin. Sesshomaru noticed it. She shivered lightly he noticed that too, he did not want her to fall ill from the cold, he pulled the fluffy white fur from his shoulder and gently wrapped it around hers, lingering for a moment when he caught her eyes in his gaze. She touched his hand lightly.
"Thank you Sesshomaru."
 
 
"Kagome, I think you should start to train your powers, you received the missing piece of your soul when Kikyo perished your power is much stronger now. Your power is not crucial to defeating Naraku, however I assume you would want to be there to see his destruction." It came out firm and flat, he fought himself to tell her she would be welcome to stay here out of harms way forever. Sesshomaru knew she would never heal if she did not confront the thing she feared most, he also knew he would kill Naraku before he ever laid another hand on Kagome, Sesshomaru would turn the bastard to a hissing pile of melted flesh before he could look at Kagome. Sesshomaru fought the rage rioting deep inside. Kagome looked in his eyes worried and quickly looked away.
"You know I want to see him destroyed, he's evil incarnate. I just don't think I'll ever be strong enough to face him." Sesshomaru ran a knuckle down her cheekbone. It was meant to comfort her, but he felt her heart speed up a little and removed his hand from her. He did not want to make her fear him, or to feel uncomfortable with him. He finally was starting to admit he cared for her but he could never admit he loved her. No she would never have him , she would never trust a demon. "Kagome you won't have to face him alone. I will be there by your side."
Kagome still felt unease, she was afraid to trust, so she took a note from Sesshomaru's book and rationalized. Sesshomaru had taken care of her, he was honest and he would do everything in his power to protect her. The past few months had made her feel safe again, his presence calmed and comforted her, and now she couldn't quite put her finger on it but something felt different, she felt something towards Sesshomaru what it was she still hadn't figured out.
"Alright I will train but I'm going to need help, I need Sango and Miroku. I would also ask a favor, Sesshomaru could Shippo please come too I miss him horribly." He wanted to say no, to all of it that he alone would help her train, he knew it was time for her to face her friends again. To his dismay, it also meant Inuyasha would be part of what she needed to face and the thought of him being near Kagome made Sesshomaru very angry but it was necessary for her to heal so Sesshomaru had no choice but to fight the anger and hide it.
 
 
Sesshomaru and Kagome walked into a vast room, the walls were very tall, but the ceiling was completely open, enormous fires burned in pits in the corners but it was still a bit chilly for Kagome. The floors were sandy, the sand was about four inches deep, and Kagome assumed it was for padding when you fell, she expected to end up flat on her ass a lot training with Sesshomaru. Jaken came in and whispered something to Sesshomaru and with Sesshomaru's nod the creepy little frog ran from the room. Kagome's curiosity peaked but she knew not to bother asking. Sesshomaru took a fighting stance.
"Are you ready Kagome?" She took an exaggerated breath.
"If I say no. Can we do this another day?" He fought a grin and thought.
"Her brazen mouth is returning." He was in the middle of his thoughts when her blast hit him.
"Oh, shit. Sesshomaru, I'm so sorry, I thought we were starting." She smiled a tiny smile when she saw he wasn't hurt.
"You think it amusing that you blasted me when I had not even said to begin?"
She stood there and smiled bigger Sesshomaru thought it agreeable to see the light the smile brought to her face. She had warmed to him and everyday he felt more and more for her. He stood on the other end of the room and just watched her unrelentingly. Most humans couldn't stare in the eyes of a full-blooded demon, but Kagome could. Ok, so her miko powers helped but that didn't mean she was demon proof. It wasn't supernatural powers that kept her from looking in his golden eyes. She had been trying so hard not to watch him coming over to her, she was almost surprised when she realized she was staring into the white of his silk covered chest. She wanted to have feelings for him but she was afraid. It wasn't Sesshomaru she didn't trust it was herself. She had been such a poor judge of character in the past. She hadn't realized she was backing away from him until she ran out of room. She pressed her back firmly against the wall as Sesshomaru leaned over her. She could feel him like heat. His scent was spicy, exotic, maybe with a hint of vanilla underneath. That scent had comforted her for months now, she had grown almost addicted to it. He was too close it made it hard to think. Close enough to kiss. "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!" her brain screamed. Kagome put her hand on his chest and pushed. He did not have to move away but he did.
"I will not hurt you Kagome." Kagome was very nervous and Sesshomaru could smell it.
"I will move further away if it would make you more comfortable." Kagome shook her head no and replied.
"I'm sorry. Sesshomaru." She knew she was being silly he had never done anything except help her since he brought her here. She could feel her pulse in her neck pounding ferociously. Sesshomaru touched her hand and she didn't pull back she even looked like she was glad he held her hand. Her pulse started to slow down. Kagome knew in that moment it was Sesshomaru that made her feel safe. It was Sesshomaru who made her dream of light, when reality was too dark to endure.