InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What doesn't kill us makes us stronger? ❯ Chapter 17

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Over the past few months, Kohaku had reverted to being a puppet, returning to Naraku. Miroku's wind tunnel had reappeared in his hand. Sango did her best to be there for Shippo who missed Kagome more and more. All Kagome's pain and suffering had been for nothing, she bargained with the devil and got nothing but anguish in return. It was her good heart that gave Miroku hope for a future without the wind tunnel and had given Sango a brief period to spend with her brother without him lapsing into Naraku's control. Kagome's friends seem to be trying there best to continue without her. Inuyasha was another story completely, Kikyo's betrayal and his failure to protect Kagome from Naraku had been eating him up inside. He tried to mourn for Kikyo, he tried not to think of Kagome and how badly she looked when he last saw her, it only made him think of what she had to have gone through, it depressed him even more. Naraku had been keeping himself hidden and had moved his castle again, and they hadn't seen Kagura since that last time outside Naraku's castle. They knew she helped Kagome escape and for that they were thankful, it also made them question if Naraku had found her out. What Naraku had planned next no one could know for sure. They needed Kagome back, only she could find Kohaku, and his jewel shard would lead them to Naraku. He really needed to pay for all the evils he had committed, Sango's exact words were… we need to find the bastard tie a rope around his balls, hang him from a tree, beat him, burn him, cut him with thousands of small cuts and watch him bleed to death. Sango missed the baths and having a woman to talk to, most of all she missed Kagome, just being Kagome. Miroku miss the way she lightened everyone's mood no matter how grave things seemed. Shippo missed her so much for him it was becoming an orphan all over again. Inuyasha wanted back too, he longed her to yell at him, to sit him, to argue, to say anything to him, she was his best friend and he failed her, he betrayed her, he felt like an asshole, he had been one.
 
 
Daylight burned and the group moved slowly, like being sucked into a time warp where the whole world continued to move but they were standing frozen. They camped a lot more now, Inuyasha even seemed to tire more easily, Miroku and Sango had started to worry about him, he had lost his drive, his fight, he no longer seemed to care about the jewel. Miroku was about to point out they needed to get moving when, they saw Sesshomaru's dragon flying low and coming towards them. Ah-un landing next to Inuyasha and Jaken sat there and sneered. His lord had ordered him to come but he didn't like it one bit.
“Lord Sesshomaru has sent me to deliver a message to the miko's group.”
Inuyasha was getting impatient. “Just spit it out you ugly little shit.”
Jaken cleared his throat. “Lord Sesshomaru has requested, that on behalf of the miko Kagome, her companions are to be invited to the Palace to help her train for an up coming battle with Naraku.”
The entire group's eyes grew wide, but it was Inuyasha who spoke first.
“You're trying to tell me that Lord I'm to good for you has sent for ALL of us to come to his palace?” Jaken looked cranky. “Did I stutter half breed? Didn't I just say on the miko's behalf he invites you ALL?” Jaken had enough of the low class group he motioned for the dragon to take flight, as he left on Ah-un's back he yelled to Inuyasha. “Come or don't come, my lord doesn't care, but the miko has asked for your help. Do what you want. I for one would be happy if you didn't come at all.”
Inuyasha's group stood there dumbfounded. “Well Inuyasha. What do we do? She did ask for us to come.”
“Damn it Miroku, we have to go, don't you get it she's finally ready to leave Sesshomaru and come back to me...us.”
“Inuyasha, I don't think she is asking to be rescued. Do you Miroku, Shippo?” Sango looked at them waiting for a response.
The monk and fox kit nodded. Inuyasha choked out hi answer.
“Why else would she ask us to come? It's not as if Sesshomaru is inviting us to visit. You're all stupid.”
Miroku stepped closer to Inuyasha and Sango returned to packing their belongings.
Shippo listened in on Miroku and Inuyasha's conversation.
“Inuyasha you have to let it go, this is our only chance to see Kagome, don't blow it by doing something rash.”
“Yeah Inuyasha! I want my Kagome back.” Shippo should have known better than to say it. The lump Inuyasha left on his head would remind him for the rest of their journey to keep his mouth shut.
 
 
Sesshomaru told her to close her eyes, concentrate, focus all the pain, all the rage and push it out of her mind, this wasn't about rage or revenge, this was about justice. Kagome focused on Sesshomaru's voice. Sesshomaru told her to feel him with her power, Demonic aura is different with each individual demon, his was different from Inuyasha's, and she could tell who was who even if she could not see them. Sesshomaru knew this would be beneficial for her to learn, Naraku's miasma was dense as well as being poison. While her eyes were closed, Sesshomaru moved around her, circling, she quickly figured out how to follow his movements this was excellent progress. He came close to her quickly, it startled her, her power flared out like white-hot flames.
Kagome's eyes flew open.
“Sesshomaru, I didn't mean to…I know you wouldn't really hurt me, I guess it was…. Oh, I don't know what I mean.”
Sesshomaru looked at her. “It was instinct.” She nodded not looking away from him.
“Sesshomaru, you were right I feel it, the difference in power. It is so much stronger now, I had trouble training before, controlling it, what if I can't get it right.” He moved closer to her.
“You will learn. Imagine only being half of you, one eye, one arm, one leg. It would be hard to balance correct.” Kagome nodded in agreement.
“Now think of your soul, split, it was hard to balance, now it will be natural to find your center.” Kagome understood now, she had always thought it was her fault she couldn't control her power but what Sesshomaru said made perfect sense it had always felt unsteady.