InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What doesn't kill us makes us stronger? ❯ Chapter 20

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
 
 
They all met for dinner in a great hall, oil lamps and torches burned bright. The friends hadn't sat for a meal this comfortable in well never. Sesshomaru had made sure every need of each of Kagome's group had been met. Miroku and Sango had talked about it earlier in the day after feeling Kagome's power flare. They spoke of how well Sesshomaru had treated them even though they had been enemies. Sango said that Kagome had a way at bringing out the best in everyone, except Inuyasha. Miroku said they fought like siblings and wouldn't it be funny if she ended up with Sesshomaru. Sango voiced no opinion on the relationship between Kagome and Sesshomaru. Dinner was quiet considering the group never did anything quietly.
Inuyasha couldn't even look at Kagome. It was the most awkward meal ever. The most noise from the group had been Shippo, Rin, and Jaken and they even tried to be quiet. Kagome sat next to Sesshomaru and barely glanced at Inuyasha. Everyone could feel the tension. Inuyasha wanted her to look at him, she didn't the fact was the only one in the room she looked in the eyes was Sesshomaru. This made Inuyasha jealous and pissed. Sesshomaru watched his half brother, he was waiting for the idiot to say something to give him cause to throw him out or pummel him. Sesshomaru was almost disappointed when he barely spoke. For Kagome's sake he hoped the tension would ease in the coming days, this was unproductive and was bad for her disposition. Sesshomaru cringed at the mere thought of her slipping back into a state of complete devastation.
 
 
Sesshomaru had told them that Kagome's training would resume in the morning and Miroku was to be the first to help her. Miroku understood why he would be first. She needed to learn to focus and center her energy and his own holy powers were similar so Miroku was the obvious choice. Sango would help Kagome train with her archery but only after Kagome had learned focus. Inuyasha well no one could figure out how he would help her but they all knew Sesshomaru had a plan. The Lord of the west would not have overlooked that detail. Kagome had physically healed now, and it was clear to Sango she still slow worked at healing emotionally and she desperately wanted to talk to her. Sango found her opening on their way back to their rooms. She asked Kagome if there was somewhere to bathe. Kagome told her of the beautiful hot spring here in the palace. Kagome went to her room to gather clothes told Sango they would meet at the spring. Kagome was right the spring was beautiful, the flowering trees filled the air with the soft fragrance of their blooms. The mists of heat rolled across the surface of the water. Both women sighed at the feel of the hot water soothing their skin and relaxing their bodies as they slipped into the hot spring. Baths were good.
 
Sango watched her sister sitting with her head tilted and back her eyes closed allowing her raven hair to dip in the water.
Sango leaned against a rock and closed her eyes. She knew this was as good a time as any to talk.
“Kagome is Sesshomaru is he um well how does he treat you?”
“Sesshomaru has been good to me Sango.”
“I'm sorry Kagome. I know he helped you escape Naraku and I'm grateful. He's just so cold.”
“You worry too much. I know how he seems, but I owe him my life Sango. He saved me twice.”
“Twice! How did he save you twice?”
Kagome told Sango about everything that had happened at Naraku's castle and everything that happened all the way up to her resurrection by Sesshomaru. Sango was horrified for her sister. She was right Sesshomaru had definitely saved her twice. Kagome had found telling Sango the truth was liberating. She told her Sesshomaru didn't talk much but that made him a great listener. Sango found it hard to believe that someone so cold could be good for her sister. Kagome sighed deeply. Sango started to feel guilty for saying things against Sesshomaru, after all Kagome was doing reasonably well considering what Naraku did to her. Sesshomaru had not been cruel to her. Sango knew Inuyasha's personality would have been too harsh for her to deal with. If Kagome had been with them, she would be dead. Sesshomaru saved her when she tried to end it all, when it had been too much for her to deal with. They all owed him for that but she wouldn't tell anyone. This was between her and Kagome.
“Kagome. I guess he has been good to you.”
“Yeah, he has. He makes me feel safe Sango.”
“You know Kagome, Inuyasha hasn't been able to mourn for Kikyo.”
“I don't want to talk about her. Ever.”
“He says the same thing, I just wanted to tell you he learn of Kikyo's betrayal from Kagura.”
Kagome let her sisters words pass through her mind.
“Sango, if I never her Kikyo's name again it would be fine with me. I'm sure Inuyasha must hate me for what happed to her. After all this I REALLY, don't want to talk about her ok.”
“No, Kagome. I think it's the opposite. I think he finally realized he loves you.”
“Inuyasha, loves me? It's strange but if you told me that before, I would have been so happy. Now I know. I just wasn't in love with him. I never knew that the feelings I had for him weren't the same as husband and wife love. That they were more of a brother sister love. He did tell me yesterday that he loved me and that's why he lied to me. You don't lie to someone you love.”
“I understand Kagome, it's like your first love versus true love.”
“Yeah it's like that but now I'll never find true love. I'll never be able to love again, not after this. Who would want me?”
“Kagome. What will you do now?”
“I will stay here and train, Naraku has been getting stronger and all of you have too. I need to get stronger.”
“Will you ever travel with us again?”
“Oh, Sango. I hope I can but not yet. I can't it would be too much to be with Inuyasha. I haven't been able to get through how angry I am at his lies. I get in the same room with him I want to choke him.”
“It's all right Kagome I understand.”
 
Kagome hoped it was true that her sister did understand. She missed being happy. Things here at Sesshomaru's palace were going good, she was safe here. Sesshomaru brought her friends and never complained about the foul humans stinking up the place. Kagome found humor in that thought, she could really picture him saying it, but with teasing in his eyes. She found it odd that sitting here in the bath talking to her sister she thought about Sesshomaru and humor in one sentence. She missed being happy. Contented was close and she could feel happy was just around the next corner. What was up with him anyway? Maybe she could ask Sango um maybe not, Sesshomaru would defiantly not appreciate her talking about him, ruining the picture of his icy cold veneer. That's all it is too isn't it? It is a pretense, she knew she saw the warmth there. For him to put all her companions including Inuyasha up here in HIS home was incredible. He even let Inuyasha come, he knew I had to face him. He had faith I could do it. He isn't the cold bastard Inuyasha says he is. I know it without a doubt. He has been too benevolent a host to all of us to be ice cold.
“Kagome? Are you there? Hello?” Sango said waving her hand in front of Kagome's face.
“Oh, sorry Sango I was thinking.”
“Well, we better get out before we shrivel up like old women.”
“Sure Sango but I'm going to go straight to bed ok.”
“That's fine Kagome but are you sure your feeling okay?”
“Fine I'm just drained.”
The two women got dressed, said their goodnights, and then headed to their rooms. Kagome stopped at her door for a brief moment and then walked to the next-door Sesshomaru's door. She completely froze.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
.