InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Windows on the West ❯ Pack ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Pack

Disclaimer:  I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

-sSs-

“Pack is, first and foremost, what we protect, Sesshoumaru.  Never take your position as alpha for granted – and understand that with submission, your pack members are granting you the right to defend them – to protect and care for them, just as they care for you.  The position of alpha is not an open invitation to ruthless and uncaring dominance – it is a trust.”

The young Sesshoumaru stared at his father for several moments, then looked at the group of young youkai also standing with their father's as they also spoke to them of pack, and dominance and submission.  

But father – why should the strong bother with the weak?  Does this not weaken them?  If I am to spend all my time protecting others, what time then is left for conquest and the building of power?”

Sesshoumaru could still hear his father's answer.

“My son, if you choose the path of conquest, you will gain lands, and peoples.  In order to maintain your power, you will then need to protect what is yours, will you not?  It is difficult to be Lord of nothing, my son, and that is what you will be if you do not defend what you gain.”

A sensible answer,
the daiyoukai reflected.  Unfortunately, since I now claim the miko as pack, to protect her, I must also keep Inuyasha close.  That fact is not welcome.

He stared across the fire at the young woman who had become a puzzle to him over the weeks she had traveled with him.  She was still such an unknown, and he was pleased that her lifespan would more closely mirror his – it would not do, after all, to lose his puzzle before he had figured it out.  Still, being stuck with his brother had not originally been part of his plans.  For so many years, he had avoided having to take the whelp as pack – at least, officially.

But he was father's pack, not mine.  Truly, I have no need to claim him – he merely travels with me for a time.  The miko, however, is pack, as is Rin.  And I have already determined that there is no weakness in protecting them.  My brother I can leave to his own devices – I will simply watch.  His regard for the miko will not be tolerated - I will allow no further dishonor from the hanyou to taint my family's name.

Decision made, he turned his gaze back to the fire as he considered the others who now traveled with him.  Ningen, they showed loyalty to the miko, and for that, while he would not claim them as pack, he would marginally consider their defense if it proved necessary.  

The miko would be glad of that, he was sure.

Weak... he scoffed inwardly.  I could defend a whole village of ningen, and it would not weaken me.  It is now easy to see the error in my previous way of thinking.  To consider protecting something as a weakness, implies that I am capable of defending only myself – that I was too weak to fight a battle on more than one front.  It is almost amusing that I was so devaluing myself.

Surely that is what father meant?

Do you have something to protect, Sesshoumaru?”

He remembered the incredulity he'd felt at his father's question, and the utter disgust that had taken hold of him.  I protected nothing, at that time... and I could not defeat an opponent such as my father – then.  Now...

Now it is a different story.

He narrowed his eyes on the red-clad form of his hanyou half-brother as the whelp crouched in a tree,  staring at the miko.  

Still, it will be this one who decides who he will protect, not any words of my father's.  Inuyasha can protect himself – he is not my concern.  He was father's pack, and even though, during his life, I was also his pack, when he died, I became alpha – and who was pack, and who was not, was left up to me.  

My pack is my own, and need have no affiliation with my father's former pack.

Satisfied that his reasoning was sound, he growled low to his brother, warning him away from the miko.

She is pack, and you are not, hanyou.  Learn your place.

When Inuyasha's hot, angry golden eyes met his, he knew the message had been received.  

-sSs-

A/N:  A huge thank you to the person(s) responsible for nominating this story for Best Canon.  I am deeply honored!

Amber


Converting /tmp/phpiLyr0E to /dev/stdout