InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Windows on the West ❯ To Kill, or Not to Kill ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
To Kill, Or Not to Kill


Disclaimer:  I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

-sSs-

Inuyasha had watched the almost tender interactions between his half-brother and Kagome for almost a week now with acid eating his heart.  Kagome was too trusting – Sesshoumaru was a killer, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, and she was too tender-hearted to understand that.  

The bastard would turn on her, sooner or later – he always did to anyone who got too close.

He, Inuyasha, would never allow Kagome to be hurt by his brother – he himself had already hurt her enough.  She would not die by anyone's hand as long as he lived, and that, he swore.

With that vow in mind, he slowly began working on her as they traveled, walking with her every chance he got, and dropping hints into her ear about his brother's true nature – warning her as best he could.

It took a while for Kagome's innocent mind to catch on, but when she did... the argument started.

“Inuyasha!  Would you just stop!”  she huffed, exasperated.  “Sesshoumaru-sama is not going to kill me!”  

The hanyou's head snapped around to stare at his brother, who had paused in his step when he heard her words.  Looked like it was finally out in the open – up 'til now, he'd managed to keep his brother from finding out what he was doing.

“Yes he will, you stupid wench!  That bastard's nothing but a cold-blooded killer!  Don't fool yourself into thinking he won't do you in the moment he gets tired of you hanging around,”  he yelled, anger making his voice rise as he stared with enmity in his eyes at his brother.  

Kagome growled impressively for a human, and yelled back,  “He will not!  Sesshoumaru-sama won't kill me, Inuyasha, and that's all there is to it!”

Everyone stepped back in shock as white sped past them, coming to halt in front of Kagome before anyone could move.  Eyes widened when they realized that his hand was wrapped around her throat, and one claw had deliberately drawn blood.  Even Inuyasha was too shocked to move.

“You think that this one cannot kill you, miko?”  he asked, voice as cold as she'd ever heard it.  “Am I not a predator?”

She would have been frightened, but for two things – one, there was something other in his eyes – they were not cold... and two... She reached up, gently taking his hand in both of hers, and pulled it away.  He didn't resist, staring raptly at her.

Sighing quietly, even as her blood dripped from the slight puncture on her neck, she said,  “It's not that I don't think you could kill me, Sesshoumaru-sama.  I know you could – and so fast, that I'd be waking up in hell before I even realized I was dead.  But... even more than your predatory nature, is something stronger that lives in you.  Your honor.  Since you already promised that we would travel together for our long lives, I know that I have nothing to fear at your hand.”

Sesshoumaru continued to stare at her, unable to look away as he considered her words.  He didn't even realize she still had his hand in hers, he was so caught up in all the mystery that was her, until his brother broke the moment by snarling and yanking her back away from him.

Even still, he stared at her, his golden eyes pinning hers over Inuyasha's shoulder, completely ignoring his brother's growled warnings to leave her alone.  

A heartbeat went by, then another, and then...  “You are correct, Kagome,”  he said slowly, as though he'd never really thought about it before, and was coming to a realization.  “I would not go back on my word.  But there is this... even had I not made that promise to you, still, I would not kill you.”  He turned on his heel and began to walk again, knowing that the others would follow, despite their shock.  

Just as Kagome took her first step to do so, he paused, and turned his head over his shoulder to look at her out of the corner of one eye.

“If I had killed you, however, hell would never be your destination in the afterlife, little miko.  Hell could not hold one such as you.”

And to the dumbfounded looks on everyone's faces, and the sweet flush on Kagome's, he continued on his way, slowing his pace until she and Rin had caught up with him.

-sSs-

A/N:  Windows on the West won third Best Canon.  That's the first time I've been nominated in that category, and I was so proud to place!  Thanks to those who nominated and/or voted for this story!  And also, congrats to all those nominated, and those who won.

Amber

Converting /tmp/phpqglkG1 to /dev/stdout