InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ With You ❯ Chapter 9

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

             “K-Kagome?”


     &nbs p;      It was the sound of her name, that had her looking up, and it was the surprise in the owner’s tone that had her dreading just whom was standing above her.


“It is you,” He breathed, his voice trembling. Kagome found herself staring into a pair of very familiar blue eyes, the ones her son had inherited, the ones that never let her forget.


“Kouga” She replied, getting to her feet. She swayed then, the weight of her son and her pregnant belly, throwing her off balance. Kouga caught her by the elbow in reflex, helping her be steady, before he quickly retreated his hand.


“I, well, what are you doing here?” He asked, his gaze never wavering from her face. Kagome knew that he was purposely trying to avoid looking at the small boy cuddling in her arms. She felt her heart hammering against her chest, the beat reverberating up into her throat, making her words difficult to force out.


“Amber asked me to help her make dinner,” She replied. Shinrai was sniffling against her, his face pressed against her throat, his tears warm and sticky against the skin of her neck. He whimpered, fingers curling in the fabric of her shirt, pulling it slightly off her shoulder.


“Oh,” He said.


“Mama?” Both adults, instantly focused on the tear stained face of the small boy. Kagome felt her heart lurch as his shining eyes looked up at her, and the gasp Kouga had not been able to contain making her knee’s quake.


“Yes, sweety?” She said, forcing herself to ignore the man before her.


“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean what I said,” Shinrai blurted out, his hand letting loose of her shirt to reach up and pat her cheek. “I’m sorry” Kagome nodded, her eyes clouding with emotion.


“Who’s this?” Kouga asked. Kagome glanced up at him, he met her eyes then and she felt her courage surfacing.


“He is my son,” She told him. Kouga blinked, his eyes searching hers. Kagome felt herself tremble, but she wasn’t about to let this ghost of her past ruin her day. “He is my son”


“Yeah, and she’s my mommy, and I love her a lot,” Shinrai jumped in. Kagome let a choked laugh bubble from her throat, and kissed his sweet cherub cheek, still wet with tears.


“Kagome, look. I’ve made lot’s of mistakes and I have to admit the biggest one was-,” Kagome stopped him with a look, her eyes blazing. She tucked Shinrai closer to her.


“There isn’t anything to apologize for. Because what you think to be your biggest mistake, is by all means the one thing that means the world to me. I’m just sorry I ever thought I would need you, because I never did. Your biggest mistake is thinking any apology after this long, would ever make up for what you put me through”


“Kagome, I’d like to try to make it up to you. I can try, I’ve changed” He said, his eyes straying to the boy who was watching him from her arms. Kagome scoffed at that, and reached up to tuck Shinrai’s head against her throat.



“So have I, and there isn’t anything you could give me that I don’t already have ten fold. I have a husband, a wonderful son and another baby on the way. I have everything I ever wanted, and I didn’t have to look very far to find it”


Kagome found herself smiling, as she turned away from a stunned Kouga, her arms tightening around her son as she made her way back to the kitchen. Amber looked up at her from her spot at the counter, and smiled at her friend. Kagome carefully set Shinrai on one of the chairs, brushing his bangs from his eyes with trembling fingers.


“Kagome, are you alright?” Amber asked, noticing her friends pale complection. Kagome gave her a flimsy smile.


“Just had a run in with your brother,” She replied. Amber let out a gasp.


“Are you alright? Did anything happen?”


“It’s okay. But I think since everything is almost finished here, I’m gonna go. I need to go see Inuyasha” Kagome turned to Shinrai.


“How would you like to go visit Auntie Sango?” She asked. Shinrai brightened at that and nodded. “Alright, well let’s get going then. If you need anything just call me, okay Amber?”


“Sure, I will” Amber agreed. Kagome nodded, grabbing her purse, then helping Shinrai down from his seat. Her legs were still wobbling, and her head was starting to throb again, but she could hold herself together, she could.