Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Moon Eternal ❯ Step into the Light ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
woke up from my fretful sleep, only to look into the face of the young man from the night before. His eyes were not harsh here, but soft and lidded.

He was beautiful.

In his own way, without the harshness in his eyes and that gentle sneer twisting his lips, he was beautiful.

And he was lying right next to me.

Slowly coming to my senses, I saw that he had his arms around and seemed to have pulled me close.

I felt my cheeks grow a bit warm but ignored it as I scanned his face.

He was a vampire as well. They all were when I just thought of it.

“Do you always think this much when you wake up in the morning?”

I looked now into elegant eyes that bore into mine. His grip tightened before they relaxed and left my body.

“…There is much to think about this morn. I doubt I was very good company when I first arrived.”

The young vampire looked at me as if he looked into me.

“Those were dire consequences. You are excused.”

“Thank you. You are so kind.” I was only halfway sarcastic, “Your mother must think I’m horrible. Sleeping with her son on the very first meeting.”

“She doesn’t mind. And if she did, I don’t.” His lips curled into a smirk, “Are you worried something will happen?”

I lifted one brow. He was baiting me.

“Are you hoping something will?”

He was surprised at first, then took my statement and ran with it. “Maybe, you are a beautiful vampire. Sexy even since we’re being honest.”

At this, I looked away.

“I guess I’m the only honest one here. Secrets my dear?”

“Are you sweet to all the ladies you meet?”

“Only to the ones who cater to my blood preference.”

“I see.”

“What’s your blood type?”

My eyes rolled a bit as I contemplated telling him. Not many knew my preference and I had planned to keep it that way. Still……

“Sorrow.”

“It suits you.”

He pulled me close to him again, “What else suits you?”

Before I could answer, the lid of the coffin suddenly lifted.

“Ren, we have business to attend to and you’re too busy trying to seduce her. Where do you get this lust I will never know.”

It was the blonde woman from the day before.

Ren rolled his eyes and got out of the coffin. Before I could climb out, he scooped me up into his arms.

“Then let’s get started.”

I heard sighs of exasperation from behind us as he carried me into the living room.

~ Calera~

There was something about the girl’s presence that got to me. There was something about her that I couldn’t put my finger on, but I refused to forget it.

This girl claimed of vampire killers. I was going to get some answers.

Everyone sat down in the living room. Karin was at work, so that just left our two children, my husband, and her.

I didn’t even know the child’s name.

“To start things off, tell us your name. Where did you come from?”

Those deep blue eyes of hers bore straight into mine.

“My name is Salina Taylor. I don’t know where I live. This is the first time I’ve been able to get out in this country. I didn’t even see anything on the flight over here. I don’t even know what day it is for that matter.”

I looked at her with suspicion, “Today is March 4, 2004.”

Her eyes went wide before losing a bit of life.

“That would mean I’m seventeen now.”

“What do you mean now?” asked Ren

“I’ve been locked up since my thirteenth birthday. The only times I’ve been able to escape was if I ran away. But they always found me.”

“Humans locked you up? And you didn’t fight back?” Ren was staring at her intently, just as hungry for answers as I was.

Salina hugged herself, “I would try, but they would do things; horrible things to make me comply. They would experiment on me then lock me away, part of the reason why I’m so pale.”

That part alarmed my husband, who instinctively went to Anju’s side. Ren looked as if he could have held the girl, but held a stoic face.

Fool

“What type of experiments? Tell us all that you know.”

She was a bit uneasy, but she began to speak. Her voice was soft and wispy, a fragile thing. A fragile thing that held bitter secrets.

“I was born in America and raised there until I was fourteen. When my thirteenth birthday arrived, I began to have strange sensations and cravings. I went to school like every day, but I noticed that things were different. I could feel bitter sadness flood my entire being. I was draw to their essence, their very blood. I wanted so badly to taste this new craving, but I declined. That was not how I was raised. When I came home, my family swooped down upon me and examined my teeth. My mother was horrified and slapped me on the spot. My father looked at me with the utmost disgust. It was that very day they locked me away. I never saw daylight again.

The experiments were brutal, one after the other. They were trying to extinguish my vampire blood. They were trying to make me mortal. None of the experiments worked, but just caused me excruciating pain. I begged them to stop, but they insisted it was for my own good. I would try to run, but they’d always find me.”

“What did you do for blood?” asked the gentleman

“The times I ran away, I would take my fill. It was every so often I would run away, so I was able to sustain myself.”

I clasped my hands under my chin, going over the information I had just received. This was a serious situation.

“You called them mother and father. How can that be if you are full vampire?”

I looked to Anju, seeing that she was absolutely right. I looked back to Saline and saw that she seemed to have gone a shade paler.

“…….It is. They are my parents. The only reason that I am a vampire is because my grandmother was one.”

~ Henry ~

I nearly choked on the air. A hybrid vampire?!

I looked to my wife and saw that she was just as shocked as I was. There was nothing in history about a hybrid vampire; they were never meant to exist!

I looked to the girl and immediately felt sympathy. She looked near tears, but her face was still dry.

“……Do you know what you are?” I asked cautiously

“……I do. They do not let me forget it. And neither does my grandmother.”

“Who is your grandmother?” asked Calera

“………”

“Please tell us.”

“…….Her name is Salina Anderson.”

I thought about it for a second. The name seemed to strike something within me, but I couldn’t be certain. I looked to my wife and saw that the same things register on her face.

“Is there anything else we need to know?” my wife asked.

The girl contemplated that for a while, then mover over to a window on the far side of the room. There, she opened the curtain just enough to make sunlight pool over in front of her. Not skipping a beat, she walked into it.

Nothing.

“This won’t last.” she murmured

“Are you like Karin?!” asked Ren, more surprised

She looked puzzled at that, so I clarified, “Karin is an abnormal vampire. She is a blood-maker day-walker.”

Saline shook her head, “I suck blood, but I am also a day-walker, until one week in each month. During that week, I am a normal vampire and come out at night. Also during that week, my hair and eyes will change, so you will know.”

She closed the curtains and faced us. Her white dress was in tatters and quite old. It covered only so much of her body. I felt for her.

“I do not know if my parents are still around, but you will be in danger if I stay. Can you tell me where the nearest train station is?”

Calera stood, “We cannot permit that at this time. Until we find out more about your grandmother, you stay here. The barrier will keep out your parents and the bats will alert us for above-the-norm activity. When is your week coming up?”

“Next week.”

“Good. You will accompany us in that time span. We’ll figure something out for the remaining days.”

I looked to my children. They seemed to all be in deep thought, especially Ren. Maybe that was for the best.

~ Ren ~

This was something I hadn’t expected. But the way she described it, she wasn’t as much a hindrance as Karin. Maybe this wouldn’t be too bad. Who cares if she was a hybrid? My parents obviously. But since when do I care what they think?

I look up and see the Goddess staring at me, frowning as if I repulsed her. I gave her a reassuring wink. She brightened and responded with a smile.

Cute

“Mom and Dad! I’m home early!”

Damn!