Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ Watch out for the Green Eyes ❯ Part 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Newdkidt: Umm….forgot to update here, so you'll get two chapters at once ^_~
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Kyou Kara Maou! I'm not making any money.
Warnings: Yaoi (male x male), Yuuri x Wolfram. Some other pairings.
Summary: The action takes place six years after Yuuri and Wolfram got together/six years after the events in “Working out the Paradox”. Yuuri and Wolfram have been married for four years.
A/N 1: Age: Yuuri - 22, Wolfram - who the heck knows?!
A/N 2: I hate Greta; she is nonexistent in this story, and Yuuri has never adopted her.
A/N 3: WhiteYoukai drew a picture based on chapter 3 and which is showing what happens when Wolfram's jealousy gets out of control. There you can find Kyota, Asami, Arachi and, of course, Wolfram with Yuuri. It is quite big and I recommend enlarging it: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/54389737/
Don't forget to leave a review for the girl!
 
 
Watch out for the Green Eyes
 
by chayron (lttomb@yahoo.com), beta-read by Redmarshin
 
Part 4
 
Asami could smell it all over Wolfram and Yuuri when they passed him and made their way to the baths. As if sensing his discontent, Yuuri gave a sheepish smile and stopped to inform him that after the bath he and Wolfram would take him outside the castle. With that said, he hurried after his husband.
 
Kyota tapped his chin with his fingertips contemplatively while Asami's narrowed eyes were fixed on Yuuri's limping step. “No, seriously - one would think that you are in love with him.”
 
From Yuuri's backside, Asami's glare set on the blue-haired man. “I'm simply sure that your unrequited love will pulverize everything Yuuri had been hoping and working for!”
 
Kyota scratched his head then turned his index finger next to his temple several times to indicate that Asami had one screw lose; he was losing his patience with the man. “Go to see a good specialist or something…” he muttered. He turned around and went to look for a snack; it was lunch time.
 
Humpfing under his breath, Kyota turned toward the dining-room. He didn't like what he had seen either but Asami implying that Wolfram wanted to ruin Yuuri was ridiculous. The prince was obsessed with Yuuri and was making every effort in supporting his husband and king. Kyota couldn't believe Asami was that prejudiced not to see this after all this entire time. Not that it was his business or he cared.
 
About half an hour later Yuuri and Wolfram joined the rest of the company at the table. During the meal it was decided that they would go to Hotamu Lake. It was the same lake that Wolfram showed Yuuri long ago, and the same lake near which the Farington army had invaded Shin Makoku. Yuuri had still some documents to take care off, so he sent his husband, Kyota and Asami to the lake first and promised to join them later.
 
XXXXX
 
Wolfram plunged forward into the cool water then resurfaced shaking his head. He looked towards the shore where Asami and Kyota were trying to drown each other. Kyota not so, but Asami looked serious and that probably had something to do with Kyota pushing Asami off his airbed and trying to take over it. Kyota didn't like deep waters - as a child he was rescued from a pond once and the experience stayed with him in his adult life, and Asami said that he couldn't swim, so the two of them were staying near the shore.
 
Despite his promises it seemed that Yuuri wasn't coming. Frowning, Wolfram started swimming back to the shore. Yuuri was going to get it for this one. He waded out of the water and motioned for one of his guards to bring him a towel then sat down onto the shore to dry his hair. He turned his head to the sound of horses approaching. It was Yuuri with several of his bodyguards.
 
Not saying a word, Wolfram threw a light shirt on, stood up and went to meet him. “Well?” he asked as soon as Yuuri jumped off the horse. Yuuri looked at his husband, Kyota and Asami who had gathered around.
 
“I'll have to go away for a month,” Yuuri said. “We have just gotten a letter from Jiahona telling that they request a meeting with me. They are thinking about entering a pact. They said they would negotiate only if I am present.” Yuuri inhaled to say the thing that he knew would be the most unnerving for his husband. “You are not going with me, Wolfram, - I need someone to take care of the situation here. With Murata, Gwendal and Gunter currently absent, you are the only one I see fit to take over.”
 
Asami opened his mouth to say something, but after taking a look at Wolfram, closed it. Wolfram wore a serious expression on his face, his green eyes pinning his husband. For a moment Asami thought that Yuuri looked just like a trapped animal. “It's a treachery,” Wolfram said, his voice leaving no doubt about that.
 
“Not necessary. The country was in rebellion several days ago. The letter was sent by the new governor.”
 
“Might it be that he is the general of the army who seized the power?”
 
“Yes.” As always, Yuuri was impressed by Wolfram's deduction.
 
“Then it's an obvious trap. Such men can't sit idly and live happily. He will promise his men power and money. After killing you they will create a war situation.”
 
Yuuri frowned. “For god's sake, Wolfram! They would be stupid to be at war with us! We have half of the planet behind our shoulders!”
 
“My naïve, Yuuri...” Wolfram stood up. He crossed his arms over his chest, giving Yuuri a serious look. “Nobody knows how it will turn out after you are dead. I suspect that the world would become even a bigger mess than it had been before you coming here. Panic would settle in for long…”
 
Sighing, Yuuri leaned back onto his palms. He raised his head to look at Wolfram's back. His husband was angry and worried. He knew that everything what Wolfram said was possible. “Wolfram…” But he trailed off when Wolfram shrugged. His husband turned around to give him a smile that was gradually turning sour.
 
“I know there's no chance that I'll talk you out of it. But if anything happens to you, I'll kill the fucker and destroy his allies one by one. I'll ruin them. It's a promise, Yuuri, so think carefully before going there.”
 
Yuuri sighed. He moved his arms to the sides and lay down onto the grass to stare at the sky. “You are really annoying, my love.”
 
Wolfram looked down at his lying husband. “You are more so. Risking your life because of your naïve vision of peace...” He frowned in distaste.
 
Yuuri watched his frowning husband, a soft breeze ruffling through his soft blond hair and lifting the light material of the white shirt. He looked up at the peaceful sky then. “Come here, Wolfram,” he patted the place next to him. He also sat up as Wolfram sat down next to him. He put his arm over the blond's shoulders. “Don't be so brash. I know there would be no stopping you, but leave the common people out of it.”
 
Wolfram snickered but didn't shrug his husband's arm away. As if Yuuri needed to say that! -He knew Yuuri's views on that matter and would not betray them. But he knew that his husband knew that if anything happened to Yuuri, it might turn out so that he wouldn't be able to think rationally. That didn't leave a chance for him to be angry with his husband for using his authoritative voice which in fact meant that it was an order. “I'm worried,” Wolfram said simply.
 
“I know,” Yuuri leaned in to give a light kiss the blond on the cheek, “and thank you for that.”
 
“Don't think you are getting away only with that,” Wolfram muttered, frowning slightly but his voice having lost that sharp edge it had earlier.
 
“He is lovely, isn't he?” Yuuri chuckled softly, giving a look at Asami then he plopped back onto the grass. He put his hands behind his head. He had several minutes before everything was ready for departure and he wanted to use this spare time together with his husband.
 
Asami watched the two men beside each other. It was the first time he felt as if they were…overflowing with something…something thick and wonderful.
 
XXXXX
 
In the late afternoon Yuuri set off for a journey. Not wanting to spoil Asami's vacation he talked his friend into staying in Shin Makoku for longer and sent him together with Wolfram and Kyota fishing. Asami loved fishing and he had promised him earlier that they would go, so he wanted to keep his promise at least partially. He wasn't sure about Kyota but Wolfram hated fishing, finding it a waste of time. All times when he went fishing and Wolfram was with him, Wolfram simply dozed under a tree or read a book. He knew that if Wolfram would ever need some fish, he would use a net or his air element and fry half of the fish in the lake with electricity in a second instead of sitting for half of a day with a rod in his hands. Of course, Wolfram knew it wasn't about that and never used his alternative methods for fishing - fishing simply calmed people down.
 
Yuuri sighed and leaned his back on the carriage. A long journey awaited him and he was glad that he and Wolfram managed to clear things between them and his mind was at ease now. He would have been not able to give all his attention to work if he knew that there were still some dark spots left, but now he was calm.
 
Without noticing Yuuri dozed off then was woken up by the noise. He stuck his head out of the carriage. They were bypassing a village but it was not the usual tumult - he could hear the shouts and scared screams somewhere farther. After raising his head up he saw a black smoke rising into the sky.
 
XXXXX
 
Wolfram's head rose to the sound of hooves smashing against the ground. Shielding his eyes from the sun, he stared at the wood in front of him. Soon Arachi appeared from it. His horse was panting heavily, grinding the snaffle between its teeth. Not slowing down the pace, he turned to the small party.
 
“Your Highness!”
 
Wolfram stood up immediately at the note of urgency in the guard's voice. Alarmed, Kyota and Asami forgot their rods and turned their attention at the guard.
 
“What is it?” Wolfram demanded.
 
“The King!”
 
In a second Wolfram was at Arachi's side, his right hand grabbing the reins, tugging at them so that the horse snorted in pain and reared back. “What's with him?!”
 
“He has disappeared! There was fire! I mean, the house was burning and the King just ran inside and didn't come back!”
 
His head thrown back, Wolfram stared at Arachi, his eyes wide. “He… He burnt?!” he stuttered in disbelief, feeling the ground slipping from under his feet. Grasping on the reins firmer and getting a grip on himself, the prince shook his head. “He can wield fire element! He can't burn! What happened, tell me!”
 
“We put out the fire but there was nothing inside. He just disappeared. There are no bones, nothing at all!” Arachi spilled quickly, urged by those desperate eyes that burnt green.
 
Wolfram inhaled deeply. He let go of the horse finally. “Bring me there,” he ordered Arachi.
 
The elite guard nodded. He waited for the prince and the other two men get onto their horses then urged his horse back in the direction he came from to lead them back to the village.
 
XXXXX
 
Already from far away Wolfram could smell the smoke. Urging his tired horse forward, he was the first to get to the house that now was nothing else than a bunch of black and burnt balks and planks. Ignoring the people and Yuuri's suite that were surrounding the pile of brands, he jumped off the horse and ran into it. His heart beating madly, his eyes skipped from one side to another. Some of the bigger piles were still smoldering. He was panicky afraid to see something poking from the black ground. On the other hand, he couldn't smell burnt flesh either; being a fire wielder and having used fire to kill not once he was perfectly able discern that disgusting smell from all others no matter how faint it was.
 
“Stay back!”
 
Kyota startled at Wolfram's hysterical voice. It was the first time he heard panic in Wolfram's voice so clearly. The blue-haired man's foot faltered not reaching the burnt step. He watched Wolfram's back while the blond was frantically looking around and checking every plank in his way. The prince fell on his knees and pressed his palms to the soot-covered ground.
 
Kyota stared at the shaking shoulders. “Wolfram…”
 
“Stay the fuck back!” Wolfram yelled without looking at him.
 
Kyota yelped and jumped away in unexpectedness as the ruins suddenly burst into searing flames. Automatically, he called on his fire element. He managed only to gasp in pain as it was quenched so suddenly that he was left shivering at the abrupt loss of contact, his fire element being completely overwhelmed by something much more powerful. Gasping for air, he raised his head to look at hardly discernable Wolfram's back behind that wall of fire. There was some eerie feel to the air all around him, as if it was shifting somewhere. Was it…was it Wolfram who…?
 
The flames soared up even higher, forcing them to cover their faces against the heat. With a swift motion of his hand, Kyota ordered for Asami and Arachi to retreat from the raging fire. He startled and ran forward after seeing Wolfram collapse. Suddenly, the flames were gone. Arachi and Asami followed Kyota who now was shaking Wolfram to get him respond.
 
Kyota was relieved when Wolfram's fickle look concentrated on him. He stumbled as Wolfram suddenly pushed him away. Wolfram stood up shakily.
 
“Away!” Wolfram screamed at him. “Get away from the circle!” He tried to chuck Kyota away but the man simply caught his arms and shook him to stop him from shouting hysterically. “Kyota, let go!”
 
The air rippled and, not comprehending, Kyota looked around quickly. The fire sprung back up again, showing what circle Wolfram had been talking about.
 
“What the fuck is this?!” Kyota stared at the circle of flames that now were surrounding the four of them. He let go of Wolfram. He grabbed Wolfram's wrist to hold him down as that tried to push at his chest again. He shook the hysterical blond unceremoniously. “Quit it!”
 
Just as suddenly the circle of flames sprung up, it suddenly was down and gone to reveal a completely different landscape than that which was a minute ago. Hot and stuffy air pressed them to the ground, making it difficult to breathe.
 
The men looked around. Kyota lowered his head to look at the ground. There was not a sign of the burnt house. Sand, there was yellow sand all around them just as far as the eye could see and a sizzling sun above. Stunned, Kyota looked around once again. Nothing changed from that. Then his gaze fell on Wolfram who was equally wide-eyed but seemed to understand what happened.
 
“Care to explain?” Kyota managed finally.
 
The prince turned to look at Kyota who had let go of him. Having forgotten that his hands were all dirty, Wolfram brushed over his forehead leaving a black trail of soot. “I… I'm not that sure…”
 
“Shit,” Kyota sprung forward to catch Wolfram when that swayed. “Wolfram! Hey, Wolfram!”
 
“Okay, I'm okay,” Wolfram muttered leaning on Kyota, his body suddenly feeling leaden.
 
Kyota adjusted his hold then raised the blond head to look at Wolfram's face. Wolfram's dizzy eyes concentrated on him. Wolfram didn't seem to be okay. Squatting down, Kyota lowered Wolfram to the ground gently, resting the younger male's upper back on his lap. He pressed his palm to the prince's forehead. It was cold.
 
“What… Where are we?” Asami demanded after coming over his surprise. Nothing like this had happened to him earlier. All he had ever seen was Yuuri or Shori opening the gate between the worlds and it always happened on the same place - he always appeared near the gate or somewhere around the castle.
 
Kyota looked at him then his eyes fell on Arachi who was standing behind Asami and looked no less surprised than they all, then turned back to Wolfram.
 
“Well?” Kyota asked.
 
Silently, the men watched Wolfram stand up and try to dust his trousers off. Kyota also stood up. He could immediately tell that Wolfram fell into the survival mode.
 
“Judging by the element that had been summoned in this place earlier,” Wolfram motioned at the sand around them. “We are on Ekara. I…I'm not sure what happened. Earlier, someone had summoned fire element on this side, here just right where we are standing right now. At exactly at the same place because of that the house in our world caught fire and Yuuri must have summoned his own fire element to try to control the fire that was raging in the house and the gate somehow opened and Yuuri…was taken... Probably…” Lost, the prince looked around. “I don't know… It's one of presumptions… I'm not that sure how it works…”
 
Kyota stared at him. “Ekara…?” he drawled. “And just how did WE get here? And what the hell is this Ekara?”
 
Wolfram rubbed his forehead again, smearing his face with soot even more. “I…I think that I had accidentally summoned the gate.”
 
Kyota didn't even manage to say anything to that. He was just staring at Wolfram. “No one can summon the gate accidentally!” he stuttered finally.
 
Wolfram shook his head in protest. “You see… I just followed the trail Yuuri left… We use the same elements after all and I didn't…didn't really think that it would be so…easy to pick up on the trail.”
 
Kyota gaped at the prince. Wolfram must be kidding him. “So where in the hell are we now?! Can you at least tell if Yuuri is here?” The blue-haired man threw his hands. He gritted his teeth when Wolfram looked around, ignoring him. “Where the hell did you drag us and how do we get back?!” he repeated.
 
Wolfram's emerald eyes snapped to him. “You know, if you hadn't been so clingy and had listened to me when I told you to get out of the circle, you would still be on Mearan. And you had dragged those two with you!” he pointed at Asami and Arachi. “So shut the fuck up and let me think!”
 
Kyota inhaled sharply but kept his lips tightly pressed at the insults. Wolfram was still edgy because of him losing control and the display in the bedroom. He must have fallen several notches at once in Wolfram's eyes after that. At times like this it was better to stay silent. Wolfram had never reacted well to reprimands and accusations. The only one he listened to was Yuuri anyway and with Yuuri gone it was better to keep one's mouth shut. Besides, right now no reprimands could change anything.
 
They stood and waited for Wolfram to finally say something. Several minutes later, the prince turned around and went to them. Muttering something under his breath, Wolfram simply passed them and went forward, to the west. His arms crossed, Kyota gazed at the blond's retreating back. Unsure, Arachi looked from Wolfram at Kyota then at the prince again. Giving Docharo an uncomfortable look, his boots sinking into the sand, the elite guard scurried after the prince; to protect the Shin Makoku King's husband was his main priority after all.
 
“Just fine,” Kyota shrugged while rolling his eyes. He turned his head to Asami who was standing at his side. “You know, as much as I'd also like to beat the shit out of him, there's nothing left for us to do except to follow that idiot.”
 
Asami glowered at him. “And why is that?”
 
“Well, he's the only one who is able to open the gate,” Kyota shrugged. “And unless you are planning on staying here and trying to open it for the next fifty years of your life, which, I can tell you, is impossible for a Human anyway, you should also follow him…”
 
Silently, the two of them caught up with Wolfram. Not saying a word, the four of them continued through the dunes for about ten minutes.
 
“Well, sweetheart, so do you care to clarify the entire thing with this Ekara?” Kyota's patience snapped finally.
 
Wolfram turned his head to him then sighed. “I just know the basics. I overheard Yuuri talking with the Great Sage. It was long ago, just before Yuuri learned to open the gates.” Stopping for a moment and covering his eyes with his hand, Wolfram looked forward at the endless sand. He reclined his head to look at the sizzling sun above.
 
OoOo_Flashback_oOoO
 
Murata was comfortably sitting in Yuuri's huge armchair while the king was standing in front of him and leaning on the table, his back turned to the door.
 
“It's about time you started teaching me how to open the gates. You promised me long ago,” Yuuri declared.
 
“I will be some time until you're able to open the gates to Ekara and Aliran. You still lack power and I'm not that sure you'll manage to open them at all,” Murata said.
 
“Huh?” Yuuri gave him a confused look. “What “Ekara” and “Aliran”?”
 
“Yuuri, you didn't really believe that there are only Earth and Mearan…?”
 
“Mearan?” Yuuri mouthed becoming even more puzzled.
 
“Yes, the world where Shin Makoku is,” Murata spread his arms wide around him. “Here.” He winked.
 
Yuuri stared at him for some time. “So what you mean to say is that there are other worlds besides Earth and…Mearan…?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Yuuri continued to stare at Murata. “Why the hell has nobody ever told me that?!”
 
Murata gave him a long serious look. “Because nobody knows that. Earth and Mearan had a close connection for a long time, but even now there are only several who know about the existence of Earth - it's that it's a seemingly insignificant fact in a daily life. Nobody cares about that. The rulers of Earth and Mearan have been on friendly terms for a long time, so there was no need in informing the masses - each world lived its own life. I suppose it would be different if Earth suddenly became aware of a different world, but Mearan…” He shrugged. “I don't think that if it's not a war situation, anyone would care about it.
 
“Aliran and Ekara are perfectly aware of each other. I suspect they also know about Mearan. But I don't think that they know about Earth. There might be some changes, Yuuri. You'd better be ready for them. The four worlds, like the four elements were each to its own, but that might change soon.
 
“Each world has its own representative - a King. You are Mearan's representative and your brother soon will become Earth's representative. Any of you and not even necessarily a King, if gained knowledge of it, can open the gate to the other worlds. Actually it had been done several times - remember the way the Kingdom of Farington dispatched the soldiers into our territory? Whoever did it, he had the gate open to one of those worlds, creating the inconsistency in time and space, allowing him to move such a great amount of troops. He did it, but luckily didn't really know how it worked. We might have some problems if some of our foolish counts decided to send their troops to raid the newly found world… The clash would be inevitable.
 
“Now, Yuuri, think of what would happen if suddenly, someone, on one of those worlds, realized that there are more worlds? Or maybe they already know. Greed is a great motivator. You wouldn't manage to even blink as we would have a war here. No, Yuuri, the original King wasn't a fool choosing you to become the leader of this world - one day you and Shori will have to unite your power to fight the intruders.”
 
Yuuri watched Murata for some time then sat down onto the table. “Okay. Give me some time to digest all this.” He put his hands behind his head and stared at the ceiling.
 
“I can't say I like this development…” Yuuri muttered finally.
 
Murata shrugged. “Don't sweat it. It may happen that the worlds will never “meet” or at least not during your reign. I have just warned you.”
 
“Knowing my luck,” Yuuri scratched his chin, “we'll be at war in a year or two.”
 
OoOo_End of Flashback_oOoO
 
The three men continued to stare at Wolfram even after he had finished talking.
 
“I should say…” Kyota drawled after a minute. “So Mearan, Earth, Ekara and Aliran. And we are on Ekara. What do you know about Ekara and how do we get back?”
 
Wolfram started walking again. “I know nothing about it. I am not going back without Yuuri,” he said resolutely. “And I'm not going to send anyone back before he is safe - I've wasted enough of my power already. It might be that Yuuri is in trouble, and without power I can do nothing.”
 
“Then you know that His Majesty is here?”
 
“Not really.”
 
Kyota sighed heavily. “So in other words…”
 
“In other words we are screwed but Yuuri's life comes first anyway.”
 
“I just love the way you put things,” Kyota mumbled. But Yuuri was the king of Shin Makoku after all, and he would have done the same - Wolfram's decision was flawless. The only thing he wasn't that sure about was Asami. The guy was a Human. As far as he knew, the king's friend had no fighting skills, no survival skill and actually knew nothing about taking care of himself in situations like this. The three of them would have to baby-sit the man or he would die on the first day.
 
Asami was just looking from Wolfram to Kyota and back. He hadn't quite caught up with the situation yet, not comprehending if it was he mad or it was Kyota and Wolfram who were seemingly discussing about them being stuck here in the vast desert without the possibility to come back. Was it for real?! Why was everybody so calm about it?!
 
A sudden thought entering his mind, Wolfram stopped abruptly. He turned to Kyota. “Try to summon your fire element.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Just do it,” Wolfram ordered, pulling his jacket off and starting to wrap it over his head to prevent sunstroke that he felt was approaching - despite being a fire wielder, he had never liked the sun that much and was sensitive, his white skin getting sunburn easily.
 
Kyota shrugged and called on his fire element. It didn't respond. All Kyota could feel was calmness and heat around him. He felt panicky. It has never happened so that his fire element wouldn't respond. He felt…empty.
 
Wolfram cursed softly. “Now you,” he ordered the guard.
 
The elite guard tried to summon his wind element but had no more luck than Kyota. Wolfram snapped his fingers and a streak of fire jumped up high into the air.
 
Wolfram muttered something under his breath while extinguishing the flash. “So I'm the only one able to summon the elements…”
 
Kyota stared at Wolfram's hand where there was no sign of fire already. “I'd like you to explain this phenomenon,” he hissed softly, his blue eyes charged with anger.
 
Wolfram rubbed his forehead and a part of his jacket, smearing his face with sooth all over again. Kyota was on his limit. No Mazoku ever reacted calmly to loss of his element. It was something that they were used to from childhood and the loss of contact was frightening, making one feel as if he were naked and defenseless just as a newly born babe. He could remember how he felt without his fire element on Earth. Kyota was not that good with his sword either, leaving him much more vulnerable.
 
“We are in a foreign territory. In Shin Mokoku we were able to use our elements because Yuuri didn't restrict people from using it. On Earth, Shori was the one to give us permission. Until we were given one, we weren't able to use our power on Earth either.”
 
“And what about you using your power here?” Kyota asked.
 
“It's not mine - I can't use mine either. It's Yuuri's,” Wolfram said, starting to walk forward again. “Any of the representatives, in other words, the Kings, can use their power anywhere, so Yuuri's power isn't restricted. It means Yuuri should be somewhere on this accursed planet because I doubt I'd be able to use it otherwise. The problem will arise when it siphons out completely…”
 
“Are you okay?” Kyota asked Asami after a good hour of walking through the dunes in the sizzling sun. “Say something,” he said after Asami ignored him. He felt better after Asami turned to glare at him - after Wolfram had explained how the things worked, Asami didn't say a word.
 
“There's not much left to say, is it?” Asami snorted. “I'm going to die.”
 
Kyota scratched his head then retracted his hand quickly. His hair was almost on fire. “I'm glad you are so optimistic. But yes, if Wolfram needs to choose between saving you and saving his power…”
 
“No need to rub it into my face.” Asami glowered at him.
 
Overhearing their conversation, Wolfram slowed down to side with Asami. “Here,” holding a short dagger by the blade, he held it for Asami to take. He always carried it in his right boot. “Not much, but at least something.”
 
Without hesitation Asami took the dagger but then realized that he didn't have where to put it. Although the thought that he would probably hurt himself instead of managing to hurt someone else crossed his mind, he didn't give it back. The hilt felt reassuringly in his palm.
 
“Never stab from above and down. It's the opposite,” Kyota advised.
 
Despite the sizzling sun Asami paled a little.
 
“Arachi, give him the strap from your leg,” Wolfram said.
 
“Yes, Your Highness,” Arachi nodded obeying immediately and stopping to unwrap the thin leather from his right leg where his dagger was hanging. He was surprised that the prince actually knew his name.
 
After taking the strap off, he held out it for Asami and after the black-haired man took it easily chucked his own dagger behind his belt.
 
“If attacked, keep close to any of us,” Wolfram told Asami. “Your best choice would be me.”
 
“I think we'll die from thirst first,” Asami muttered.
 
“Shut up,” Wolfram said.
 
“Might happen,” Kyota nodded and Wolfram glared at him for endorsing Asami. Kyota just shrugged and started unbuttoning his brown jacket to wrap it the same around his head as Wolfram had done earlier. “I wonder how cold it gets here when the sun is down…” He kicked the sand with his boots wondering if Asami's sneakers didn't dissolve by this time. “The temperature might be minus thirty degrees…”
 
“Cut it out,” Wolfram muttered. “All I need in addition is hysterics…” He motioned with his head at Asami who was pale again.
 
Kyota sighed nodding. He knew that Wolfram knew all the possibilities anyway. “I'm sorry. I'm just a little…well…worried.”
 
Wolfram chuckled softly. Gods, he was glad that of all people he got here with Kyota. In such situations there was no better person to rely upon - the two of them were perfectly in tune.
 
A couple of hours later they were still climbing over the dunes. Their shirts were wet with sweat and the thirst was becoming an annoying thought sticking to everyone's back of minds. Asami was dragging his feet through the livery sand, Arachi walking by his side, ready to give a hand in case he stumbled.
 
Wolfram brushed sweat off his brow for the hundredth time this day and squatted down. “Let's rest,” he panted out. Several hours more and they would simply fry here.
 
The heat wafting from the sand made Wolfram stand up again. He looked at the vast space in front of them. His breathing was rash and lips were starting to chap, it felt as if his every pore would be giving away water. Despite his earlier words he would have to open the gate in several hours - simply dying here without any purpose would be stupid beyond reason. But there was another thing that bothered him - he wondered if he would be able to open that gate. He hadn't done it purposely or specifically and had no idea if it would work.
 
Several hours later of walking, the sun started setting down, the heat lessening noticeably. After one more hour they unwrapped their jackets off their heads to dress them. It was becoming cool.
 
Kyota stopped in his way abruptly. He raised his hands indicating for others to stop. He turned to Wolfram. “Can you hear that?”
 
Wolfram listened closely, looking for any sound that caught Kyota's interest. He nodded finally. “It's rather… A murmur of a mob?” he looked at Kyota unsure.
 
“Sounds something like that,” the blue-haired man nodded.
 
Asami looked around, not hearing anything. Yuuri explained to him long ago that Mazokus' senses were more sensitive, Yuuri, being a half-blood, also better at many things than Humans. After reaching another dune and climbing on the top of it, a spectacular sight was revealed before their eyes: farther in the distance two armies stood against each other, the shouts echoing from both sides.
 
Amazed, Asami stared at the masses of people that started moving toward each other, war-cries shaking the air.
 
“I think we'll just wait for a moment.”
 
Asami turned to Wolfram whose emerald eyes were calmly taking in the sight before him. Asami heard Kyota murmur something in agreement, the man crossing his arms over his chest, watching the collision of the armies. Arachi simply stood at his side, seizing up the armies, his right hand twitching on the hilt of his sword. Arachi didn't seem to be worried, the man's right hand probably twitching in reflex after hearing the swords collide. Only now Asami noticed that Arachi's eyes were of different colors - the right one was hazel while his left was dark brown.
 
Noticing Asami stare, the brunette turned to him, his calm eyes asking the reason for staring. Are all brunets so calm here? thought Arachi remembering Conrad having the same calm and warm eyes. Why I'm thinking about this right now? he wondered. His eyes slid off Arachi to the battlefield but on their way they met Wolfram's. The blond gave him a weird look then turned back to watch the fight.
 
“Wolfram.”
 
“Yeah, I see them,” Wolfram hissed through his clenched teeth. A party of about ten riders separated from the end of one side and darted towards them.
 
“They don't seem to look for friendship,” Asami muttered, his wide eyes concentrating on the raised swords, the aggressive shouts reaching his ears.
 
“Stay behind me,” Wolfram ordered him, drawing his sword. After seeing Kyota and Arachi also draw their swords, Asami fell back behind Wolfram, the dagger also ready in his hand.
 
“Do you really plan to go with swords against horsemen?” Kyota muttered. “I beg you to reconsider. Your death won't do Yuuri any good.”
 
“Kyota?”
 
“What?”
 
“Shut up.”
 
“Yes, Sir.”
 
Wolfram watched the quickly approaching men. Kyota was right of course - he couldn't take the risk to be killed here.
 
Arachi raised his eyes to Wolfram's back as suddenly the blond was surrounded by light. A fire lion was forming over Wolfram's head. With a light flick of his wrist, the blond sent it toward the riders.
 
“Try to catch the horses,” he said to Arachi who nodded at that.
 
“Let's hope there aren't any element wielders amongst them…” Kyota muttered.
 
“That doesn't make any difference.”
 
From the corner of his eye Kyota looked at Wolfram but didn't say anything. From spars with his friend he knew Wolfram's abilities but this element wasn't Wolfram's, it felt entirely Yuuri's and there was no way to tell its power. But soon he knew what Wolfram was talking about - the fire lion simply knocked the first rider's head off his shoulders, its hind leg shooting out to slash over the nearest soldier's neck. Soon after it was done, the lion stroke its fangs into the other's neck.
 
Kyota ran to the horse that was galloping towards him, its eyes mad with terror its nostrils flaring at the scent of lion and blood all around it. Managing to grab the reins, Kyota didn't even try to stop the horse but immediately swung onto its back and into the saddle. He didn't have time to get rid of the corpse that was hanging loose caught in the noose and being dragged behind him as he pulled the reins and shushed calmingly to try and stop the horse before he was taken back to the place they had appeared at today.
 
Arachi went after another horse and Asami was left alone with the prince. He didn't even notice that, his stomach churning at the sight of blood spraying up from under the lion's paws. When the lion almost disemboweled one from the riders and the delirious horse sped hardly a meter past him, Asami heaved spasmodically, emptying his stomach onto the still sizzling sand.
 
After noticing Asami's pale like a sheet of paper face, Wolfram refused the idea of lunging onto the speeding horse. Even if he was more than sure that his fire lion wouldn't let anyone approach Asami, he couldn't leave the man alone. After turning away from the vomiting male, he concentrated back on the several terrified men at hand.
 
A second later it was over, the lion hissing softly and trotting back to the prince to stand at his side. Wolfram reached his hand out to ruffle through the flaming fur to compliment and calm the hissing animal down.
 
His hand stroking the flaming animal absentmindedly, Wolfram watched the further events on the battlefield. The battle was in a full swing now, nobody paying any attention to them. Sensing the calmness from his master, the animal puffed out a small cloud of fire contently and curled up into a ball at Wolfram's feet.
 
Trying to gather his senses back, Asami stood with his eyes closed. He could hear the sounds of battle farther, screams and shouts crossing the air. The lion with a rider's entrails stuck on its claws resurfaced from his memories and he heaved again.
 
A little anxious, Wolfram watched the slightly swaying man but despite feeling faint Asami didn't faint and soon was wiping his mouth with his sleeve. His step shaky, he approached Wolfram cautiously, not to disturb the huge animal at the blond's feet.
 
“You okay?”
 
Asami nodded meekly then looked around. Kyota was riding back towards them, Arachi still staying farther and trying to calm his panicking horse down. Asami looked forward again. The remains of the squad were scattered between them and the battlefield. He felt everything coming up again, but after some struggle managed to keep it down.
 
“It won't attack you,” Wolfram said after noticing Asami keeping safe distance from the lion. “Stay close to it until it disappears. Don't even think of fainting on me; I have enough trouble as it is,” he added seriously after Asami turned pale again after Kyota reached them with the horse whose back was covered in curdled blood.
 
“Thank you for your concern,” Asami breathed out dizzily.
 
Kyota urged his horse forward. “Be quiet and don't distract him; majutsu like this requires much concentration,” Kyota muttered to Asami who turned away from the horse. “There's no time for whining.”
 
Asami gagged at the metallic smell wafting from the horse. “Excuse me for not being used to seeing splashed guts and rolling heads.”
 
“I'll punch you.”
 
With a snarl Asami raised his head up to look at Kyota but his words died in his throat at the look on Kyota's face. Kyota would not only hit him, but also would probably kill him if he uttered one more word.
 
TBC
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1