Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ Watch out for the Green Eyes ❯ Part 22 ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Kyou Kara Maou! I'm not making any money.
Warnings: Yaoi (male x male), Yuuri x Wolfram. Some other pairings.
Summary: The action takes place six years after Yuuri and Wolfram got together/six years after the events in “Working out the Paradox”. Yuuri and Wolfram have been married for four years.
A/N 1: Age: Yuuri - 22, Wolfram - who the heck knows?!
A/N 2: I hate Greta; she is nonexistent in this story, and Yuuri has never adopted her.
 
 
Watch out for the Green Eyes
 
by chayron (lttomb@yahoo.com), beta-read by Redmarshin
 
Part 22
 
When Amae woke up, it was a bright day already. After looking around in the half-lit tent, he found out that he was alone, Wolfram's and everyone else's sleeping bags were empty. Holding his hurting head, he sat up. Then he remembered why he was in pain and groaned loudly. He couldn't believe that he had made such a fool out of himself. Wolfram literally had dragged him into his tent just as if he were a poor kid and Kyota had taken a candy from him. And why the hell did Wolfram interfere at all? He had made him look like a fool.
 
Shaking his head, Amae sighed. He perfectly knew he had done that himself. Wolfram was just trying to stop him from waking up the soldiers and calling up even more shame upon his head. His blubbers must have been echoing all over the entire camp.
 
He didn't really understand what came over him to give that `performance' yesterday night. It was not the first time he went hysterics but it had never been because of such a petty reason. Probably he had been holding it all inside him for too long. The stress he had been under lately was catching up with him.
 
He found his clothes folded neatly and put at the end of his sleeping bag. Inwardly thanking Wolfram for his care, he dressed in the uniform, leaving out his tunic. His tunic was torn at the front, dirty, smelled of fish but the silken fabric held quite well - there were no other holes so far. Thinking that he might not get anything better to wear for quite some time, Amae figured that he should wash and sew it up.
 
Gathering his tunic in his right hand, he left the tent. His legs still hurt somewhat, but it wasn't too bad and he could bear it. The bright sun that hit him, made something behind his eyes throb.
 
“Amae?”
 
Shielding his eyes, the concubine turned to the side to see Asami. The man seemed to have been intending to go into the tent just before he had appeared.
 
“Mmm?”
 
For a moment, Asami seemed unsure as to what to say. He looked at the concubine closely then appeared to be relieved. “I was a little afraid that you might be unwell after yesterday,” he admitted.
 
Amae nodded, sighing and lowered his hand from his eyes. “I'm fine. I'm sorry for that scene yesterday. I was… I'm sorry,” he apologized once again instead of explaining.
 
Asami shook his head. “Don't sweat it. Kyota really went too far.” He looked at Amae unsure. “Actually what did you do to incur his displeasure? Usually he isn't so brash,” he explained after the concubine gave him a confused look.
 
Amae shrugged then. “It might have something to do with me commenting on him liking Wolfram as we have met or me being a concubine.”
 
Asami frowned. Certainly Kyota didn't mind everyone knowing that he liked Wolfram, everybody was sure of that anyway. “Then it's discrimination against concubines!” he declared.
 
Amae gave him a surprised look. “And what?” he asked, amused.
 
“You should sue him,” Asami muttered only after realizing this wasn't going to solve anything. “I'm sure you would win,” he added, sighing just before dropping the subject altogether.
 
“I don't really understand,” Amae said. “If it's one of those references to your world, you'll have to explain it to me.” Asami often talked about things he didn't quite manage to grasp.
 
Telling Amae that it didn't matter, the older male shook his head. The two of them had breakfast, then, with Arachi and a few other soldiers went to the river.
 
XXXXX
 
When they came back from the river it was already afternoon. Amae hung out his and Wolfram's uniforms onto the tent to finish them drying. His torn tunic had gotten dry already after washing and airing it at the river, but he had borrowed a shirt and spare trousers from Asami. Now he had to find a needle to sew his tunic up.
 
As soon as Amae finished hanging out the uniforms, he saw Wolfram and Kyota approaching. Kyota observed the hanging uniforms closely. Interested, his eyes slid back to Amae who after seeing the blond brightened.
 
“Ah, thanks,” Wolfram nodded after having noticed his uniform drying. Before going to the river, Amae had insistently offered him to wash his uniform until he had agreed. “Had fun at the river?”
 
Amae nodded. “Yup, and the soldiers you had chosen were nice. Thanks.”
 
“Want to have lunch?” the blond asked.
 
“Sure! I'm starving,” Amae nodded enthusiastically.
 
Kyota cast the last look at the damp uniforms and followed everyone into the tent silently.
 
“Where can I get a needle?” Amae asked when they were sitting in the tent and eating.
 
“You want to sew up your tunic?” Wolfram guessed.
 
“Mhm,” Amae hummed with his mouth full, and Wolfram felt himself surprisingly worried that the concubine was starting to take over the manners from him and Kyota. The two of them always kept themselves in check while amongst nobility, but he wasn't so sure if Amae would be able to switch back as easily as them later. Or maybe Amae wouldn't ever need his manners anymore…
 
“I suppose you should simply ask around - soldiers should have them. If not, then go to the village,” Wolfram shrugged.
 
“You are good at sewing?” Kyota showed interest. He got up from his place on the sleeping-bag when Amae nodded and went to ransack at the end of the tent. “Here,” he tossed a pair of trousers to Amae who was so stunned that instead of catching them, he let them smack him in the face then fall onto his lap. “I have torn them while climbing over a fence,” Kyota explained.
 
Amae stared at Kyota then lowered his eyes to the trousers on his knees. He raised his head then. “Okay,” he said to Kyota, smiling.
 
Wolfram wasn't really able to comprehend what Kyota was doing. From Kyota, he turned to look at Amae's radiant face.
 
“Kyota, what the hell are you doing?” Wolfram asked after they had eaten and Amae with Asami left to search for a needle and some threads. “You'll either get them back with a huge hole in the crotch or won't ever get them back at all…”
 
Kyota was leaning over their previous `table' while cleaning it up. He turned to Wolfram who was sitting near him and watching him working. “I know that,” he sighed. “I hope it will work for him as a therapy.” He took the cutting board, brought it to the exit and swiped the bread crumbs off into the outside. “I was unfair to him,” he muttered.
 
Wolfram watched him for some time then chuckled. “But you do realize that your trousers are done for?”
 
Kyota grinned at him. “I can't wait to see what Amae thinks of doing to them; he has a vivid imagination, I have noticed,” he said.
 
Wolfram only shook his head, laughing. His laugher then quieted after a serious look had appeared on his friend's face.
 
“I'd like to talk to you,” Kyota said.
 
Wolfram nodded. That that Kyota was making a request instead of spilling everything he had on his mind was telling him that the other man didn't think that the thing that he wanted to discuss was his business.
 
“What is it?” Wolfram asked, curious and a little unnerved.
 
“It's regarding Amae.”
 
“Oh? What about him?” Interested, Wolfram watched Kyota. “Did he do anything?”
 
Shaking his head in denial, Kyota sat down next to the blond. Thinking how to start, he cleared his throat. “I was just wondering if you are aware of him taking the place at your side as your concubine…”
 
Wolfram's brows furrowed in confusion. He frowned then. “Kyota, I won't tolerate this. This has to have a limit! You…”
 
“No,” Kyota interrupted him. He shook his head again. “You misunderstood me. It's not about my jealousy. It's that it seems that Amae thinks of you as his…well…” Kyota faltered for a moment, “…owner, I would say… And he thinks himself your concubine… You take care of him, defend him and I believe he feels safe with you and… It's rather… Well, I have seen him only for a little more than two days but it's so obvious from the way he acts around you that it makes my eyes hurt.”
 
Wolfram stared at him. “What the hell are you babbling about? Amae knows I'm married! He's only…”
 
Kyota raised his hand to get himself an opportunity to finish what he was saying. “He doesn't feel safe, Wolfram. You brought him here and it seems the only way out he sees is to stay at your side. Plus, they understand `marriage' a bit differently here. As long as it's not a female, most of men here have lovers and concubines aside their wives.” Kyota sighed at Wolfram's frowning face. “His cultural background is completely different than ours. You were reminding me of it each day and yet you yourself forgot that.
 
“It's obvious from aside - he accepted it naturally that you took him into our tent, that everyone thinks about him as yours. He follows you everywhere and cares only for your opinion. Hell, he even washes your clothes! I am not sure how much of it is his real affection - he doesn't seem to give you any more of that peculiar attention than to any other male in the camp -, but he really behaves as your concubine…”
 
Wolfram groaned, rubbing his forehead. This was giving him a horrible headache. After Kyota said it all, it was obvious that he was right. Somehow he hadn't noticed that, taking Amae's closeness for simple insecurity.
 
“I don't have time for this shit,” Wolfram groaned, feeling his anger and desperation rise at the absurd situation.
 
Kyota studied his face for a few seconds then shrugged.
 
XXXXX
 
It was the evening already when Amae and Asami showed up in the camp. Amae was already wearing his stitched up tunic. It didn't look very esthetical but one couldn't notice the stitches right away. The two of them turned right into the tent to look for something to eat. There they found Kyota and some food.
 
“Here,” Amae dropped the trousers onto Kyota's head.
 
Kyota, who had been eating soup, pulled the trousers off his head. While Amae and Asami were looking for a place to sit down, he put his bowl down onto the ground and took the trousers. He was really curious to see what Amae did to them. Turning the lower half of his uniform in his hands several times he finally noticed bright red embroidery on the hip-pocket. Stunned, he stared at a red heart and Amae's name next to it.
 
“What the hell?” he muttered. Then it became clear what it meant - even though a shape of heart was never used in this context in Shin Makoku, it was perfectly clear that this Amae's embroidery was declaring his love to Amae on his bottom. He flushed red. He had not expected this.
 
From the place he had sat down and already started cutting Kyota's favorite oblong green vegetable for everyone to reach, the concubine grinned at him. “Well, it was way too obvious why you gave them to me. Your apology will be accepted if you wear them at least for one day,” Amae chuckled softly. “Asami was so nice to offer the idea, and I though you'd appreciate it.”
 
Without a word, Kyota examined the trousers for a few more seconds but, as the hole was stitched up nicely and there seemed nothing wrong with the trousers except for that red embroidery, he raised his head to glare at Asami. Asami smirked at him and held up the V sign.
 
Sighing, Kyota put the trousers away and took his bowl back into his hands. “You are really good at needlework,” he said to Amae.
 
Shyly, Amae lowered his eyes to the green vegetable he had been cutting. “Oh, I'm good at various kinds of handwork…” he said, rolling the green vegetable in his hands then stroking it.
 
Kyota felt himself flush red again. The man was just unbelievable. Next to him, he heard Asami chortling into his soup. Asami used to feel uncomfortable around him and Wolfram or even Arachi. He had also never reacted well to these kinds of innuendos to sex between males, but surprisingly, Asami seemed to feel fine around the concubine.
 
“Has anybody told you that you are too nice?” Kyota muttered, shoveling some soup into his mouth.
 
Amae nodded. “Sure. I'm incarnation of a goodwill and goodness and overall I'm virtuous.”
 
Kyota couldn't help chuckling. He put his bowl onto the ground again and crawled over to dig in his bag. “In that case,” he said after turning around and facing Amae again, “I wonder what you have to tell about this…” he held up a drawing.
 
Amae choked on his soup, his face turning beet red. “Where the fuck have you gotten that?” he managed after swallowing.
 
“And how do you think I was so sure that Wolfram really was in the harem...?” Kyota drawled, tossing the paper onto the ground next to Amae.
 
Asami craned his head to see the paper. His jaw fell lax as he saw a drawing of a naked Wolfram on it. Wide-eyed, he stared at the picture. It was a tasteful nude where Wolfram was leaning against a windowsill, his body turned halfway, he gazing at the distance through the window.
 
“I suppose Wolfram doesn't know about this, does he?” Kyota looked at Amae sideways.
 
Amae raised his eyes from the picture to Kyota. “Of course, no,” he muttered. “How did you…?”
 
“How did I get it and how did I know that it's yours?” Kyota finished instead of him. “Some man approached me trying to sell it to me. The answer to your second question is Yasai. He started talking. He knows quite a lot not only about Faraya but also you. Somehow he mentioned that you like drawing…”
 
Amae took the drawing between his fingers. He tossed it back to Kyota. “Well, now it's pretty clear why you hate me.”
 
Kyota took the picture, chuckling. “Nah, about your little hobby I got to know only today in the afternoon.”
 
Amae felt the need to justify himself. “I drew it just after meeting Wolfram,” he said. And it was true, even though he had drawn a few others several days later, but Kyota didn't need to know that.
 
Kyota shrugged. “Well, it doesn't really bother me. But if Wolfram gets wind of this, you'll get a few bruises. And if Wolfram's husband gets to know of this, you'll be sent off somewhere far, far away to pasture goats.”
 
Silence settled over them and Amae stared at Kyota waiting for his verdict. The older male had his life in his hands. He doubted Wolfram would want to see him ever again if the truth became known. Wolfram could be quite flexible, but things concerning his personal issues were taboo for the blond. Kyota would not hesitate to get rid of him.
 
Amae was amazed to see Kyota giving him a smile that seemed sincere. Kyota chuckled after realizing what the former concubine had been waiting for. He laughed quietly inside - there was no way he would give Amae away to Wolfram.
 
Kyota got up and went to secure the drawing back in his backpack. After that he turned back to look at Amae. “Nah, I won't tell Wolfram about it,” he said. “He'd take the drawing away, and in truth I got very fond of it. What do you think, could you draw more of them, but like…more…hmm…explicit?” he grinned.
 
Amae stared at him, open-mouthed.
 
“I think they are explicit enough,” Asami muttered. “Already too explicit in my opinion. But who cares…”
 
“Well, it's…”
 
Wolfram's voice was suddenly heard outside and Kyota fell silent. When Wolfram entered the tent, he was met by tingling silence. Surprised, he stopped to observe the three men in front of him. But his questioning eyes were avoided carefully. Even Kyota pretended to be interested in something swimming in his soup. Amae was blushing for no apparent reason which was really disturbing. Asami was cleaning his glasses with a piece of cloth, pointedly telling him that he refused to see anything.
 
Wolfram's eyes finally settled on Amae. “I need to have a word with you,” he said and saw Amae turn pale. Maybe Kyota had mentioned something to Amae, but even then he wasn't that sure why the concubine's reaction was so strong.
 
“We'll just go for a walk,” Kyota said, standing up.
 
“Hey, I haven't finished my dinner yet!” Asami protested.
 
“Take it with you, then,” Kyota said, picking up the cutting board with bread and sausage on it and carrying it outside.
 
“Hey!” Asami yelled after him, not being able to believe that the blue-haired man had just done that. “Kyota, give back my dinner! Unbelievable! Kyota, do you hear me?!” As there was no answer, he got up and ran out of the tent chasing after the man.
 
Amae and Wolfram were left alone in the tent. Wolfram put down the map he had been carrying and walked over to sit down opposite the tense man. Not wanting to draw it any longer, Wolfram started right away.
 
“Amae, I think we need to talk about our…relationship,” Wolfram found himself hardly managing to pronounce the word.
 
“Oh.” Amae sank even deeper into the folded up sleeping bag he was sitting on. “Was it Kyota who spoke to you?” he asked softly.
 
Since it was no use denying, Wolfram gave a nod. “I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.” He sighed. “I… I somehow missed it.”
 
Amae ruffled through his long hair. “I understand,” he nodded. “But I…” he continued playing with the ends of his hair nervously, “…actually I don't really know how to…act. I'm very dependent right now. I can do nothing for a living. I wasn't able to use my element from the moment we left the palace,” Amae said, gulping nervously. “Faraya forbade it and now I'm useless. I don't know anything else except that and…”
 
Wolfram's loud and frustrated exhalation stopped him. “I understand your wish to preserve yourself with a potential status, but it won't work. I treasure Yuuri's trust too much to do something like this.” Wolfram felt sudden anger rise in his chest at the dejected look that appeared on Amae's face. He couldn't believe a proud man like Amae would want to trade himself off so badly and even to a man he didn't even feel much affection for.
 
“Amae, once I said that you are good at what you do - I'm not known for flinging compliments around that easily. You are a good healer and once Yuuri is found and we go back, he'll allow you to use your water element and after some studies, you'll be just fine on your own.”
 
Wolfram let out another frustrated sigh. “I don't have time for your whining, Amae - it's a war going on! If you are going to snivel like a beaten dog, then it's fine with me and I'll leave you here to be a prostitute forever, but if you want to mend your pride and help around then you see that exit,” Wolfram pointed with his hand. “Carry your self-piteous ass there and do something useful. I don't care what - go fishing again, wash clothes, bandage someone, yell at someone for not doing his work or go to help weed out the garden. Simply do something instead mooching about in my way! I can't fucking stand seeing you degrading yourself like this! Do you understand me, Amae?!”
 
Amae sat opposite Wolfram a thick blush covering his face. “I… I…” His hands shook in nervousness, but the blush was deepening even more. “Yes.” He nodded. “I… yes, it's perfectly clear. I'm…” he fidgeted with his hair then hiccupped loudly. “I'm sorry for…for… Thanks.” He suddenly jumped to his feet and shot out of the tent, the ends of his tunic disappearing quickly through the opening.
 
Not sure how to react to this, Wolfram shook his head. After a minute, he took the map he had been carrying in his hands and unfurled it. A short time later, the fabric of the tent rustled and Kyota entered. He walked over to Wolfram who was leaning over the map.
 
“It's quite dark here,” he muttered, after taking the map in. “Roshan said that he would come soon,” he informed Wolfram. “He's just checking over his men.” Impatiently, he rustled through the map for some time then finally raised his head to look at the blond. “By the way, what did you do to make Amae blush like that? He just flew past me like wind without even raising his eyes…”
 
Wolfram frowned at the map. “I just scolded him a little.”
 
Kyota's right brow rose to curl darkly. “Oh. You talked to him about `that'? You told him off?”
 
Wolfram nodded. In the map, he followed the road that started in this village and led to Beshan.
 
“It didn't seem that he took it well,” Kyota commented finally when his friend didn't say anything more.
 
“Actually, it was the reaction I more or less expected,” Wolfram said seriously. “He's just a little lost and needed to be reminded of his priorities.”
 
“Hmmm…” Kyota drawled. “He's quite unstable. Are you sure you didn't overdo?”
 
Wolfram turned around to look at him. “Then run after him for fuck's sake if you are that worried over him!” he snapped. “I don't have time for this, Kyota, and you know this!” Rubbing his forehead, he sighed. “He'll be just fine. Leave him be.”
 
XXXXX
 
The sun had almost set and after making a round over his troops to make sure everything was ready and dispersing orders, Kyota decided to go for a swim. Mosquitoes were vicious in the evenings here, but he still wanted to wash all that accumulated dust and sweat off him.
 
He was tired after the long day and, wanting to tune out everything around him, rode to the river alone. He shed his clothes and dunked himself into the shallow river to wash himself.
 
When he was done cleansing his body, his boots off and clothes neatly folded next to him, only in his underwear, he lay down on his jacket to dry off and relax to cleanse his mind. The air was already humid and cool but after the hot day he didn't mind that.
 
His horse was grazing near him while Kyota was peacefully dozing under a tree near the river bank when he heard a horse's hooves scraping against the ground somewhere farther along the riverbank. After raising his head out of the grass, he saw a lone rider appearing from the vapor. The rider was obviously heading for the bank. After peering more closely at the man, he recognized Amae. The fact that Amae had snuck out of the camp without escort, made Kyota grit his teeth in anger. He wanted to go and scold the younger male but then decided not to bother - Amae didn't ever listen to him anyway. In addition, he believed that the former concubine had many things to think about after the conversation with Wolfram.
 
Amae tied the horse to a tree further away then sat down under it. After pulling his boots off, he just leaned on the tree and gazed at the river. Kyota was surprised that the younger male managed to get here on his own - it seemed that he was not that hopeless with horses as everyone had thought.
 
As Amae didn't move, Kyota thought that maybe he had fallen asleep, but then Amae stood up and started taking his clothes off. Leaving them on the shore, he waded into the river only with his underwear.
 
From the bank, Kyota watched the younger male walk deeper and deeper until he was waist deep. From a few soldiers Kyota had heard that there were several deep holes in the bottom of the river, so he wasn't surprised when suddenly there only Amae's head with tuffs of flapping hair was seen in the water. Then the head disappeared and Kyota expected him to start washing his hair but the black-haired head didn't resurface. Next thing he saw were hands waving about in the water.
 
Kyota cursed loudly. Of course, the fool couldn't swim! -He could perfectly remember Amae say once before that the river in Beshan was full of litter and so tainted that it would burn if someone set it on fire. The perturbed feeling that appeared when a startling idea occurred to him had to be pushed away when he jumped to his feet.
 
Kyota ran to the shore and then plunged into the water. After reaching the spot where he saw the man's hands appear for the last time, he had to look for Amae only for few moments finding him easily. Grabbing a handful of dark hair, he started swimming toward the shore.
 
Kyota pulled the coughing and sputtering man out to the shore and seated him onto the grass. Amae didn't stop coughing for quite some time and Kyota gathered the dark hair from Amae's face and chest into his hand then brushed it behind his back.
 
“You okay?” he asked after Amae's coughs seemed to lessen.
 
Amae nodded weakly. Pulling himself up he kneeled then tried to stand up. He yelped and fell onto his side, as Kyota backhanded him in the face with such force that it made him roll over the grass.
 
“What the fuck were you doing?” Kyota yelled. “Are you fucking insane?!”
 
Dazed and astonished, his wet hair clinging to his face, Amae raised his head from the grass to look up at Kyota. He didn't manage as much as to open his mouth as Kyota grabbed him by his arm, yanked him up to his still shaky feet and started dragging him after himself.
 
At first stunned into an inability to move, later Amae protested and struggled while Kyota was hauling him into the camp but the blue-haired man didn't listen to him. The man seemed if he were possessed - he even forgot the horses back at the river.
 
Once they reached the camp, not wanting to cause the commotion, Amae stopped squirming and let himself be led. It had been enough of that spectacle when Kyota had brought him to hysterics the previous time. Now Kyota was making him parade through the camp only in his wet underwear. All he could do was to keep his mouth shut and try not to draw any more attention as it was.
 
Kyota lugged him through the camp and directly into their tent. With a rough motion, Kyota brushed the fabric out of his way and shoved Amae inside. Amae stumbled and landed on his knees right in front of the startled prince. Holding himself upon his hands, the younger male raised his head to look at Wolfram and Kyota who had stridden up to the prince's side.
 
Wolfram turned his head to look at Kyota. He pointed his hand at kneeling Amae who was half-naked, still dripping water, wide-eyed and seemed aghast. “What's this?” he asked Kyota with an obvious anger rising at the way Amae was being treated.
 
“The stupid son-of-a-bitch wanted to drown himself!” Kyota yelled down at Amae. He was almost panting in rage.
 
Wolfram stared at Kyota for several seconds then turned to Amae but found the younger male equally stupefied and gaping at Kyota. The blue-haired man, after following Wolfram's gaze, became unsure when noticing Amae's openmouthed face. He suddenly realized that he had made a mistake somewhere.
 
“What nonsense are you talking about?!” Amae stuttered at Kyota. He turned to Wolfram. “I didn't! He's lying! There was a hole and I slumped into it! I didn't try to kill myself! As if I'd ever…!” Not finishing, he continued shaking his head in disbelief. “He's lying!”
 
Wolfram's eyes came back to Kyota who was fumbling with the clasps of his wristbands nervously. The blue-haired male looked a bit lost, his eyes averted from Amae, not daring look at him in shame.
 
“Ehhh…” Kyota stuttered finally, ruffling through his blue hair.
 
“You can go, Amae,” Wolfram said, motioning at the end of the tent.
 
Amae nodded, quickly got up and disappeared out of their sight. After he was gone, the blond sighed and plopped down onto the folded up sleeping-bag.
 
“Well, what was it about? Did you just drag him here without asking what happened?”
 
Kyota rubbed his forehead tiredly then sat down opposite Wolfram. He nodded silently. “I saw him drown and…well, after the conversation you two had, I somehow…” Kyota shook his head, ashamed. “Suddenly I was so…angry… so…” He just shook his head again not finishing.
 
“…Scared?” Wolfram sighed, finishing for his friend. “Gods, Kyota it's so obvious that you like him, I'm sure even Amae understands it, but I don't understand what you are trying to do. I doubt I can help you disentangle from the mess you feel and cause. You feel guilty, but instead of apologizing to him for your behavior you seem to wish he hated you.” Wolfram sighed. “And now, instead of thinking of it as your mistake, he took it you were trying to humiliate and vilify him.” As Kyota didn't say a word, only stared down at the ground, Wolfram lay down on his back.
 
“Why did you drag him here, to me?” Wolfram asked. “Think carefully and answer to yourself truthfully, okay?”
 
Kyota groaned. He pulled his legs up and put his forehead onto his knees. “I know, I perfectly know why I did this. But I'm not used to this, Wolfram. It's confusing the hell out of me.”
 
Wolfram stared up at the top of the tent. “I don't think it's something I can help you deal with, Kyota. It's your problem, your feelings. I can only mess it up for you further. But…” he drawled softly, “…let me tell you one thing,” he looked at Kyota, their eyes meeting. “Nobody likes cowards… If you like him, tell him that instead of trying to hurt and push him away.”
 
XXXXX
 
“What do you want?”
 
Amae's hostile voice made Kyota cringe inwardly. He walked over to where the younger male was sitting under a tree, staring at the river. It was very early in the morning, and Amae again had left the camp without informing anyone beforehand.
 
“A few days ago Wolfram told me to teach you some basic fighting moves in order to defend yourself.”
 
Amae gave him a skeptical look. “And you have finally remembered it?” he snickered. “I'm oh so glad that you are so worried over my safety, but I don't want you teaching me.”
 
“I don't want you dying on my hands,” Kyota ignored him. “We'll start from swimming.”
 
Amae's look was hateful. “As if I'd ever trust my life into your hands, you asshole!” he spat.
 
“What about yesterday then?” Kyota couldn't help biting back.
 
“And who the fuck asked you butting in?!”
 
Kyota gritted his teeth in anger. “So you did want to drown yourself, idiot!” he accused, hissing.
 
“No, I didn't want to drown myself, you stupid! I just… Fuck it!” Amae threw his hands in anger. “I don't even know why I am talking to you,” he muttered while standing up. “I'm going back to the camp.”
 
Kyota blocked his way. “As if! It's the second time I see you wandering alone! What the hell do you think you are doing?!” Seeing Amae's eyes catch a furious flame, he got the feeling that his apology wasn't going that well as intended.
 
Amae pushed at Kyota's chest to move him out of his way but the man didn't even budge. “What the fuck is wrong with you?!” Amae yelled at him, lowering his arms back to his sides. “Do you have some personal issues with me or it's that you are an asshole in general?!”
 
Kyota wanted to snap at him that this had nothing to do with him behaving irresponsibly while leaving the camp alone, but he swallowed those words. Instead, he decided to replace them with others.
 
Angrily, Amae stared at the older man then felt confusion growing within him as Kyota simply stood and stared back at him without a word of retort, his face holding a strange facial expression.
 
“You know,” Kyota started softly, “I have been in love with Wolfram for a greater part of my life. I… I'm scared. I don't really expect you to understand but… It's because…it's new and… ” Frustrated, Kyota shook his head. He realized he looked like a fool. There was no way he could talk about it to Amae.
 
Frowning, Amae stared at Kyota's receding back as the older man simply turned around, and not finishing the sentence, started walking away.
 
“Kyota, wait!” he went after the other. “Wait, I say, you idiot!” He grabbed Kyota by his upper arm to stop him but the older man smacked his hand away. Wishing he could simply cool the embarrassed man off, not for the first time Amae regretted his element being taken away from him.
 
“Kyota,” Amae called at Kyota's back, stopping. “Kyota, I…I suspected that at first...” He sighed as the other froze on his way. “But later you… It's okay,” he exhaled loudly. “I suppose you are really confused…”
 
Kyota finally turned around. Amae couldn't believe what he was seeing - the older man was blushing.
 
“I'm sorry,” Kyota muttered. He shook his head. “I suppose just I really need a good lay,” he said rubbing his forehead. “Just as you said. I…”
 
Amae wasn't sure if this way the man was trying to take his words back or his words had an ulterior motive. But Kyota's blush was deepening while he was fidgeting with his hands. Unsure, Amae approached him. Still uncertain, he stood in front of the other man and leaned towards him.
 
The lips underneath his were tense then parted a fraction, Kyota exhaling as if overcoming some only known to him barrier. The next thing Amae knew was Kyota's hands in his hair, cradling his head, the kiss turning deep.
 
Moaning softly into the heated kiss, a few moments later, Amae felt Kyota pulling away from it. A little dazed, he stared at Kyota. Damn, the man could kiss…
 
Kyota brushed his fingers over Amae's lips to wipe the glistening saliva off. “I wanted to do this the very first time I saw you,” Kyota admitted, sighing. Again, he blushed lightly at the intent gaze Amae's eyes were giving him.
 
“Yes, you were staring at my ass pretty shamelessly,” Amae said finally. He suddenly became aware of his hands wrapped around Kyota's back of the neck. Shifting uncomfortably, he pulled them away.
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
Amae wasn't that sure what Kyota was apologizing about. The entire atmosphere graveling him, Amae brushed his hair behind his ear while thinking what to do. He was not used to the scenes like this. This was…too…weird.
 
“Let's go back,” Kyota said softly. “Was it really an accident?” he asked a few minutes later of them walking side to side toward the camp.
 
“Of course it was!” Amae snapped at the careful note in the other's voice. “I don't know where you got that idea!”
 
“I was worried that after that conversation with Wolfram you might…” Kyota didn't finish. “Promise me that you won't wander alone,” he demanded instead.
 
“Fine,” Amae muttered. He wasn't sure where they went from this. He wasn't even sure if Kyota wanted to go anywhere from this. The other was lost in his own feelings and very likely had no idea what he wanted at all. Very likely it was only Kyota's desperate try to distance himself from Wolfram.
 
“Well, your place or mine?”
 
Amae raised his head from his feet to look at Kyota who chuckled. “You really are an asshole,” Amae muttered.
 
Kyota's step faltered. “I'm sorry, didn't mean to… It was just…”
 
Amae snickered. “No, seriously, you'll soon break the record in apologizing.” He sighed then. “It's okay. I… I think I understand.” He doubted there was harm in it - he could just go along and see where it led him, even if it left him halfway. He had too few options anyway and Kyota wasn't the worst of them.
 
TBC
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
8