Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Remember The Past ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER 3

Hikaru had just finished her assignments. She let out a deep sigh and looked at her clock. 'It's still too early to sleep…' She stood up and then walked out of her bedroom door towards the living room, where her brothers are watching TV.

"BAKERO! That's mine!" Kakeru, the youngest among the three, told his elder brother, who ignored him and continued on munching at the food on his hands. "OI! Are you listening to me Masaru? MASARU!" he shouted at his brother's ear.

"I heard you, you loud-mouthed baka!" Masaru replied, shoving the rest of the uneaten sandwich to his mouth.

"I would not be too loud if you had not stolen the sandwich I made for myself, you pig!"

Satoru, the eldest among the Shidou brothers, sighed. He shot each of his brothers a good death-glare. "Do you mind? I'm trying to watch something here," he said, gritting his teeth.

"It's his fault, that idiot-of-a-brother of mine stole my sandwich!"

"Ha! Go and make yourself another one then! You fowl-mouthed brat!"

"Who did you called brat, pig?"

"What did you just call me?"

"Pig!"

"Say it again and I'm gonna…"

"You're gonna what, pig? Pig! Pig! Pig!"

"Wanna fight?"

"ENOUGH!" Satoru shouted at both of them, red with fury. He stood up and hit Kakeru's head with a rolled up newspaper. "Have you not any respect for your elders? Haven't we taught you not to call people names?" He caught Masaru smirking annoyingly at Kakeru, which made him give Masaru a taste of his newspaper with a loud 'whack!' on his head.

"OWW!"

"And you! How could you stoop too low to steal your brother's food! You should be ashamed of yourself…taking advantage of your younger brother like that!"

Hikaru let out a giggle as she watched at the show in front of her, making her brothers turn their attention to her. She heard Satoru clear his throat, and then say, "Both of you should start acting like adults and stop making a fool of yourselves…and in front of your youngest sister too!" The two nodded in agreement. "Good…"

"Come and join us sis!" Kakeru invited her, patting the vacant space beside him.

"Yeah sis, the show's really good." She smiled and then sat with her brothers. They watched TV for two hours, laughing and talking.

"Hey sis, I notice you've been staying at home more often for the past few months…" Masaru started to say.

"Hmm? What are you saying? I'm always like this…"

"Huh?" Kakeru said, looking very much surprised. "But you are staying at home more often now."

"Stop joking with me, you two. I've always been at home often. Where would I go?" she said, getting annoyed.

"But for the last three years you were…"

"You two, quit it," Satoru told them with a glare. "Go to sleep Hikaru, it's getting late."

She let out a yawn. "Yeah, I'm beginning to get sleepy." She kissed her three brothers goodnight and then left them.

"You two, let her be," Satoru started to say.

"But don't you think it's strange?" Kakeru said.

"At least she's not sulking around like she did 3 years ago."

"Yeah…" Masaru agreed. "Now that was scary…"

"She's staying home more often, which is good. Stop bothering her about it…At least we know she's safe."

***

Hikaru lay on her bed and looked at the ceiling. It had been a tiring day, she had run twice around school as often as she used to. She laughed at the image of Lantis' looking so lost in the middle of girls fighting at each other. Of course, she couldn't help but take his hand and pull him out of the mess. 'He'll get used to it…I'll just have to help him out 'til he does I guess.' That was the last thought she had before she drifted to sleep…

---(@)---

She found herself standing on a corridor and saw a small, fluffy creature in front of her. "Puu!" it said. She stared closely at the animal, she was about to take it in her arms when it quickly jumped out of reach and ran away. It stopped for a moment and said "Puu!" again. It then started bouncing away.

She decided it wanted her to follow its trail so she chased it, and found herself inside an indoor garden. There, in the middle of the garden is a fountain. She noticed a man sitting on its edge, with birds perched on his shoulders, and one on his hand.

He was very handsome. Despite of the strange clothes he was wearing, it didn't make him look funny. Instead, it made him look more attractive.

She wanted to approach him, but hesitated. She was about to turn away and leave until he called out her name. "Hikaru." His voice was deep and manly…She found herself walking towards the fountain to join him. "Why did you want to leave? Are you afraid of me?"

"No, I am not afraid of you."

"Then why did you turn to leave?"

"Because I didn't want to disturb you."

They sat silently for a moment. She felt his hand lift up her chin gently to make her look at him. She was surprised of the warmth of his eyes. "I had been worried about you."

'He's worried about me…? But…I don't even know him!' Her reply caught her by surprise though. "I'm fine. You shouldn't be worrying about me."

She watched as he took a pendant he was wearing hidden underneath his armor. He carefully laid it on her hands and clasped his hands over hers tightly. "My mother gave this to me. She told me to give it to someone who is worthy."

"But…I…"

"Keep it for me. It will protect you someday."

***

She watched helplessly at the scene in front of her. He was there, unconscious. She wanted to help him so much but she did not know how.

"Call his name…" someone told her. "We don't have much time!"

"But I…"

"Call his name out loud! Please…he'll wake up when he hears you!"

'His name…? But I don't know his name…I don't know him…'

"HIKARU! IF YOU DON'T CALL HIM NOW, HE'LL DIE!"

She felt her knees collapse on the ground. 'No…Please…'

"HIKARU!!! HE'LL LISTEN TO YOU, HE LOVES YOU HIKARU!"

'He…loves me?'

"SHE'S GOING TO TAKE ALL HIS ENERGY AND KILL HIM IF THIS CONTINUES!"

"I can't…"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T? HE HAD ALWAYS PROTECTED YOU…PLEASE HIKARU!"

'He will die because of me…I don't want him to die…That voice…It told me to call his name…It told me he had always protected me…Why can't I remember? Why?'

"I THOUGHT YOU LOVE HIM HIKARU! CALL OUT HIS NAME!"

"I CAN'T!!!" she shouted at the voice, crying. Never had she felt so helpless in her whole life. All she could do was watch as lightning consumed him, and listen to the laugh of what sounded as to had come from a mad woman.

"You could have saved him you know…" the voice said.

---(@)---

She woke up with tears on her eyes. Even if she knew it was a dream she couldn't cease her crying. "It hurts…" she said in between her sobs. "All I had to do to save him was call out his name…And yet…I let him die."

It was a dream, yes…but still here she was, crying for a man she never really knew…a man who might not even had existed at all. Yes it was a dream, but in that dream, for what little time they were together she felt content…and whole, a feeling that she hadn't felt for a very long time.

"I should have called out his name…"

***

"Are you sure you want to eat with me than with your friends?" she heard him ask as they walked out of their classroom.

"Why? Don't you want to eat with me?" she said with a fake pout.

"It's not that…"

"Besides, we're friends too right?" He didn't answer her question. "And I told you, you should not eat lunch by yourself. That is, if you don't want that canteen-incident happen again. I know a nice place where we can both eat in private without any interruptions from our so-called 'fans'."

"You know, if you shouldn't be too nice to strangers like me…"

"You are not a stranger, you're my friend."

"Well, you should be careful in choosing your friends. Who knows? I might be some bloody pervert or something. I might take advantage of you…"

"You're not like that…"

"How can you be sure when you just met me in less than a week ago?"

"Your eyes…they are like the wolves' during winter…but I see no trace of malice in them…Only sadness and loneliness…some anger maybe…but no malice. You are a good person Lantis, you will not take advantage of me…And I know that you will protect me, if someone dares to…" She gasped, very much surprised at her own words.

Suddenly he stopped walking and looked at Hikaru eyes. She knew it was to see if she meant what she had just said…His look made her nervous. 'Hikaru, you idiot!' she scolded herself. 'Where did all of that come from?' Deep inside she knew she just spoken from her heart. But what she saw after that took all her nervousness away…He smiled at her. It was the first time she ever saw him really smile…

"You had been crying…"

"What?"

"Your eyes are a little bit sore…Did something wrong happened?"

"No…it's was just a nightmare…Let's go before those girls starts chasing you again."

"…Or those boys starts running after you again."

***

He found himself staring at the back of the girl sitting in front of him and then heard a sigh escape from his lips. 'What the---! Where did that come from?' He frowned. Where else would it come from, you idiot! 'Oh so now, I'm talking to myself…' Well, I guess it's a whole lot more interesting than putting up with your so-called 'English' class. The voice inside his head was right; his English class was the most boring thing he had encountered in his whole life. 'Stupid bloody idiot,' he thought, as he remembered how the principal had explained that he was not exempted in attending the worthless subject. They were reading something similar he had learned when he was in grade school for God's sake! Not to mention their high-tempered instructor.

He looked at his open notebook and frowned deeper. Surprise, surprise…He had been 'unconsciously' sketching the view in front of him. Specifically, the redhead…He angrily tore the bloody page from his notebook and shoved it deep in his bag. '…Where nobody would even get a glance of it.' Getting rid of the evidence eh? 'Shuttup!' Admit it, you really find her cute…Scratch that…not cute, "beautiful" is the word. He just had to smile while he corrected himself. Of course, the smile was very faint…barely noticeable.

So what if he thinks she's attractive? He'd be mad if he hadn't, and no doubt the rest of the school's male population agrees with that thought. So she's a little bit too short for her age…it suits her anyway. She is very hyper…and friendly. Hell, she was even able to convince him they're friends! He remembered what she told him earlier. Her words might have sounded a little bit odd…But to him it felt just right. It was true, he will protect Hikaru Shidou if someone does try to take advantage of her…His smile broke into a wide grin when another realization hit him…Good thing everybody was too busy to notice the boy grinning like a madman…

He could almost hear Jean say It's about time Master Kyle! 'No bloody way he'd know about this…at least not yet.'

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Yatta! *jumps up and down* I do think this chappie is the cutest so far…Maybe its from too much sugar…Wotever! Anyway…I kinda did my own version of the fountain-pendant incident…and that part where Nova had Lantis unconscious inside the Machin Regalia…just to make it a lil bit dramatic? I need ur reviews, onegai! Just to keep me a lil bit inspired to continue this story. Until the next chappie…Ja ne!