Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Remember The Past ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER 4

Somewhere, surrounded by eternal darkness, two voices can be heard. "Do you think they will pass this test?" said the woman's voice.

"They should or they will die like the others…" a deep, male voice answered. "The mage sent him to her world just as we had expected."

"Why do we have to do this?"

"…Because this is our purpose. We have to see if their love is true…"

"We didn't have to test Emeraude and Zagato…"

"You are right…but their love had been tested by the Pillar system itself…They also died, remember? They opted to die to be with each other…While the situation with the current chosen one and the Magic Swordsman is different…"

"We had been sleeping for years, haven't we?"

"Yes, until Zagato and Emeraude awakened us…Sefiro had forgotten our legend…Zagato even thought it was his heart that made me. He didn't know he just awakened me…Nobody knew there were two Mashin Gods."

"Blame the Pillar system for that…"

"Yes…we weren't needed since it had been created. The Pillar wasn't allowed to fall in love with anybody…Only Emeraude broke that rule, and so we were awakened. You know very well that once that system was abolished, we had earned back our old position…but alas we are forgotten."

"Even the Master Mage does not know the true legend…We were sealed thousands of years before his birth, it is understandable he is not aware of our existence…Enough of that, our duty is to Sefiro's Chosen One and Chosen One's life-mate. Too bad, nobody is aware of their purpose anymore."

"She might have abolished the Pillar system, but she is still the only one who can harness Sefiro's infinite power. Eventually, her life-mate will share that power…It cannot be helped. It is our purpose to test their love for each other, and if proven, our purpose is to serve them."

"Many died because they failed the test…"

"It was only because their love for each other is not strong…Remember the last Chosen One we had tested?"

"Yes, she lived, he died…She was so heart-broken…We had proved he was only after her power…She was so devastated that she created the Pillar system…She had created the legend of the Magic Knights to make sure nobody will suffer the same fate…Those Elemental Mashin Gods were created just in case we are to be awakened…I cannot blame her, it is true that we had been the cause of so many heartbreaks…"

"No…Those hearts would have been broken even if we didn't exist. Do not worry, I have a feeling that they will get through this…You might even have to merge with the Mashin God Rayearth if that happens."

"Rayearth will have to take a woman's form then, Ares. Even then, I will still be Aphrodite, the one and only Mashin Goddess, Sefiro's forgotten symbol of love…"

"And I will always be beside you, for my duty is to fight to protect this love. I am the Mashin God of Protection and Courage after all."

***

Kyle opened his mother's jewelry box and took out the pendant inside it. He could almost hear his mother's voice… "Your father gave it to me, Lantis…as your grandfather had given it to your grandmother. When the time comes, it will be your turn to give this to the one worthy of its ownership." He was still very young when that happened…too young to understand what his mother meant.

"Mother…" he whispered, putting the chain that supports it around his neck, hiding the pendant underneath his shirt. "Your wish will soon be fulfilled, Mother…I have found someone worthy enough to own this pendant."

He took his school bag which had been laying on top of the study table beside his bed, got out of his room and headed to the dining room where Jean had been waiting for him, ready to make sure that he eat his breakfast. "You should try the strawberry jam, Master Kyle…" his butler said, grinning.

"Really Jean, I must say, you have an odd sense of humor. Do you want me to loose my appetite this morning because of that awfully sweet jam?"

"Better have an odd sense of humor than none at all…that's what my mother used to say. Do you want some sugar on your coffee, Master Kyle?"

"Jean!"

"Oh well, at least I tried…" He continued having his breakfast, finishing a slice of bread after another… Despite of his hearty appetite, one can still say that he ate elegantly… "Why, Master Kyle…I am very glad that your appetite had improved since we came here…"

"I've been running around school often…"

"How so?"

"…Some crazy girls had taken the habit of chasing me around…"

"Girls? But then of course, with your handsome looks I guess it's only natural for them to take a liking to you."

He only grunted in response, eating his last piece of bacon. "Jean, will you please see if the driver is ready? I will just finish drinking my coffee and then I'll be going to school."

"Yes Master Kyle…" Jean replied, and did what he was told. After a few minutes, the butler came back informing him that the driver was ready to go as soon as Kyle is ready. "The driver had requested to tell you not to jump out of the car all of the sudden as you did the first day you went to school."

"Thank you Jean. I will tell him not to worry this time…"

The drive to school had been quick as usual. He was getting quite irritated at the talkative driver though. At first of course, he didn't mind…until he started calling him 'son' and getting too cozy that he's beginning to be impertinent…He also had the habit of swearing too much, which Kyle didn't like at all…So Kyle just shot the driver a good glare through the rear-view mirror to put him in his proper place… 'Works every time…' he told himself.

***

"Ne, Hikaru-chan…I bet all of the girls here are jealous of you now…" Chiharu said, as they waited for their teacher to come.

"Hehhh??? Why do you say that?"

"Well…who wouldn't be? I mean, the only girl Kyle-kun ever did pay attention to is you…" Keiko informed her. "And you do know he is the latest male heart-throb…"

"There's really no reason for them to get jealous of me…We're just friends…"

"Don't you think he's cute?"

"Well…I…" she said, blushing.

"See…see…you're blushing!"

"Mou…quit teasing me…"

Her friends giggled. "Why shouldn't we? You two are always together…Frankly, I'd say you do look perfect together…So what kind of person is he really?"

"He's really nice…"

"Oh?"

"Really he is! He just don't like to be with too much people I guess…"

"So…tell us really, don't you think he's cute?"

"Of course he is! I mean…err…who doesn't…right?" she stammered. "…Specially when he smiles…"

"HE SMILES AT YOU???"

"Well…err…yeah…I mean…not that often but…"

"Oh my gosh! He smiles at you!!!"

"I mean, I bet nobody else ever seen that guy smile at all!"

"Shhhh…he's here…"

Hikaru's blush worsened when she caught Lantis' looking at her as he entered their classroom. He gave her one of his rare smiles as he walked. "Wow! Now, I see what you mean about the smile Hikaru-chan…" Chiharu whispered. Instead of walking directly towards his seat, he stopped in front of her. "Hi Kyle-kun!" Chiharu said, all dreamy-eyed.

"Good morning, Kyle-kun…" Keiko greeted him sweetly.

He simply nodded at them in reply; he cleared his throat, and stood silently afterwards as if waiting for the two girls to leave him with Hikaru. They were of course smart enough to get the message and went to their respected seats.

"Good morning Hikaru-chan…" he greeted her as soon as the girls left.

"Good morning Lantis-kun."

"You look flushed…Are you sick?" he asked her as he put his hand on her forehead. "You seem to have a slight fever…"

"NO! I mean…It's just too hot this morning…And I walked around before coming here and all…" she said, looking at the floor.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes…"

"Good…Because I wouldn't want to carry you around school the whole time if you get too weak to stand up." Hikaru's head shot up and found he had moved face very close to hers, watching it intently. She dared look straight at his eyes. She could have sworn she saw mischief there. Before she could even reply, he turned around and then went to his seat.