Mortal Kombat Fan Fiction ❯ Of Serpents and Sirens ❯ By Firelight ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

'Each of us is born with a box of matches inside us but we can't strike them all by ourselves.' - Laura E.

 

The banquet hall was a third the size of the courtyard but no less elaborate. Statues of past fighters lined the walls and the tables were set low with big red cushions to sit on, candlelight giving a glow offset by giant braziers of roaring fires in each of the corners and there at the far back was yet another...

"Another throne? Just how many does he have?"

"Three, I think. Yeah, I know totally weird like he's compensating for something. Come on aunt Lily. I think I see Jacqui and Takeda. Oh and there's Fujin."

She shook her head at her niece's antics.

When they approached the small group, a man with glowing tattoos turned and she did a double take.

'Hello handsome.'

Cassie threw her arms around Jacqui and threw a punch at Takeda's shoulder before launching herself at Fujin and poking him in the chest.

"When the hell did you cut your hair?"

He actually looked sheepish at her, running a hand through the short white locks.

"I had decided on a change. Do you not like it?" His voice had almost a breathless quality to it.

"Are you kidding, Fujin? I really liked the long hair. It suited you. I guess I'll just have to get used to this new look."

Fujin smiled down at Cassie, placing a hand on her shoulder. "If it makes you feel better...I will strive to grow it out again."

She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tight.

"Aww, you don't have to do that. Not just for me. You do you, okay? But I'm still getting a pic."

He laughed. "Of course, Cassandra."

Fujin looked up and locked eyes with Lily and nodded. "Who is this with you?"

Cassie giggled, "My aunt Lily."

Fujin's eyes went wide and he smiled before giving her a slight bow. "The author! Its an honor to meet you. I have read your book and found that Cassandra was right in calling it a 'page-turner'. I enjoyed the story immensely."

"Thank you. Don't be offended by this question but how are you Raiden's brother? You seem so...so..."

"Normal? Human? because he spent a few lifetimes living among us humans." Cassie answered.

"Ahh, I suppose that will do it. Sorry."

The wind god shook his head, "No offense taken. Raiden is the protector of earthrealm so he has far more weight to bear on his shoulders."

"He's the eldest so he gets the job and you get to play?"

He chuckled, "In some aspects yes. But I will always be ready to stand at my brother's side should he have need of me."

"And I you, brother."

Lily jumped and grabbed her chest. "Holy hell! Where did you come from Raiden?"

He looked around confused, "I came through the door, Lily Cage. I apologize if I have startled you. That was not my attention. Please sit and eat."

She took a seat inbetween her brother and niece. She was just reaching for the goblet in front of her when a soft voice spoke.

"Miss, this is for you."

A monk was holding a platter with a piece of folded parchment. Lily looked at it confusingly before taking in her hands. Flipping it over it had her name scrawled in deep crimson ink.

She sent a quick glance to the throne and found Shang Tsung watching her with a chalice of wine. He raised it in her direction before taking a sip.

Rolling her eyes, she opened and quickly read the note.

She froze, her hands shaking as she set it down.

"Well, what is it?"

Johnny reached over and snatched the paper up.

His eyes widened as he read it. "Noo-ooo way! It's a private dinner invitation..."

"From Shang Tsung himself." Lily finished.

Cassie spits out her drink, "What the fuck!"

Lily's heart raced at the thought of a private dinner with the sorcerer but shook her head. 

She needed to do something to stick it to this man that equally made her heart race and her blood boil. And at the first meeting too.

The flicker of the candle in front of her gave her a great idea.

" Hey, Cass? You want to see how to say no publicly without saying it?"

She smiled evily, "oh, I'm all in on this one."

Lily looked up and locked eyes with Shang Tsung and waved the parchment. He smirked and nodded.

She shook her head and immediately put the edge of the parchment in the candle flame. As it caught fire, she dropped it back onto the tray it was delivered to her on.

"Please take that back to him. Rather quickly too, the flame's going to go out soon."

"Shit sis."

Raiden shook his head. "it is not wise to make him angry."

"Oh he's a grown man, a little rejection's not going to kill him."

"No but it just may kill you."

She giggled, waving it off until she noticed the serious look on his face.

"It is no jest, Miss Cage. At times he is reasonable but other times...he is dangerous. I caution you going forward."

"What?"

"He has drained the souls of others for far less affronts. He is...vastly temperamental."

The color drained from her face. "I'm suddenly not hungry anymore."

"Do not worry, Lily. The rules do not allow the harming of a bystander by anyone. Even by Shang Tsung himself."

"When has the sorcerer ever followed the rules, brother. He's broken them several times in fact. He thrives on it." 

"That's not helping, Fujin."

"I apologize Cassandra."

She stood up, her mind reeling with what Raiden has said. He could take her soul anytime if he felt like it...it depends if he's in a good mood or not? That did not sit well with her. Her stomach twisted and churned in mild terror.  

"I think I am going to turn in for the night."

Johnny moved to stand but was waved off.

"I'm quite sure one of the monks can help me. Enjoy yourself Johnny."

"Ya sure?"

"Yeah. I know how much you love parties."

"Awesome!"

All it took was saying her name to the monk at the door and she was off, following him out the door and down the hallway to her quarters.

The brown eyes of Shang Tsung scrutinizing the defeated look on her face from across the room.

He looked down at the burnt remains of his invitation and smirked. She was unpredictable too. Good. But so was he. 

"That was only the beginning of our little game, Lily Cage. I intend to win."