Mortal Kombat Fan Fiction ❯ Of Serpents and Sirens ❯ Chemistry ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

'If you have chemistry, you only need one other thing. 

Timing.

But timing's a bitch.'

 

"Ahh, Miss Cage. How splendid of you to join me. Drink?"

"No thank you."

"I trust you slept well?"

"Well enough."

"The monk has told me of your tumble this morning. I hope it won't become a common occurrence during your stay."

"What I do in the mornings isn't really any of your business."

"Indeed. My apologies. I was just curious if the wound still pains you. The monks make a salve that can soothe pain away."

Shaking her head she turns to look down at the courtyard.

He smirks as he stands, eyes tracing her frame, focusing on the bare skin of her neck. He moves to stand next to her. 

"It's a glorious thing, isn't it? To see fighters pushed to their limits, stripped to all but the most primal of instincts."

She swallowed thickly. "And what is that?"

"Survival."

His warm breath tickled her ear, making her jump as her eyes locked with his. But she didn't back away, instead she stared back at him for a few more seconds than looked back down at the crowd below. 

"My brother said something similar. So last man standing, huh?"

"Yes. You are very perceptive."

"I'm a writer. It comes with the job."

"Yes. I have heard. What do you write about?"

"What?"

"Your genre of choice, my dear?"

"Why are you asking about that? I thought you would have better things to do."

"I do read in my spare time, Miss Cage. I would not have learned all I have so far if I did not."

"Surprising."

"Oh?"

"That you would admit to being taught anything."

He laughed. "I am not ashamed of it. In fact I remember someone agreeing to teaching me some new things."

She spun around, poking him in the chest. "Now wait a minute! I didn't agree to a damn thing! Don't put words in my mouth."

He leans in close, eyes dropping to her lips. "And such a lovely mouth it is."

She gaped, pushing at him, "Wha-you...you ass!"

He put his hands up, "My apologies. You are quite fun to tease, my dear."

"Don't push it."

"Oh, and what would you do? Fight me?"

"I doubt you would be able to handle me."

"You would be surprised at what I can handle. Lily Cage."

They were a foot apart, both glaring at the other when the gong sounded, signaling the first fight.

"The first fight has commenced. Who will be the first to claim victory?"

She watched as a man with rows and rows of teeth and two giant blades circled Jacqui.

"Ah, Baraka and Miss Briggs. This will be interesting."

"Tarkatan, right?"

"Yes. Good eye. Although it is hard to miss all those teeth."

She laughed.

He smiled, "I am glad you found that amusing. Please sit. Enjoy the show."

She turned, and when she didn't find another seat, she glared at him.

He looked puzzled, "What?"

"There is no other seat. Don't for one second think I'm sitting on your lap."

"I am if anything a gentleman, my dear. The monk is bringing a chair for you."

She deflated, "Oh."

"Unless you want to sit on my lap, that is?"

"NO! No I mean the chair will be fine."

'Smooth, Lily, real smooth.'

The chair was comfy and as the morning continued on she cheered for each of her brother's friends that fought.

Jacqui actually made quick work out of the the Takatan male, much to the crowd's surprise.

 Then it was her brother against a four armed crooked character.

"Kollector. Surprising that he would be willing to fight. He is usually such a coward."

Johnny of course emerged the victor.

Then Sonya was next against a weird looking lady that spoke even weirder.

"D'vorah. One of the Kytinn. The last queen of her people."

"Last? Why is she here?"

"To challenge Sonya Blade, of course. They have some...history. Poor D'vorah has no chance against Sonya."

"You're rooting for Sonya?"

"Well yes. Sonya is an old acquaintance. Such fire and beauty."

Lily rolled her eyes and quickly took a drink of water.

Shang Tsung noticed the eye roll and chuckled.

"Don't tell me you are jealous, my dear."

She nearly spits her drink out. "Jealous? Haha. nope. Its just..."

"What?"

"Do you flirt this much with every woman that comes to this island?"

He smiled widely, shaking his head. "Only with two."

"Sonya and.."

He leaned close, hand waving to indicate her.  "You."

"Oh." The low tone he used to whisper that one word made her pulse jump and she wringed her hands together, nervously.

He sat back in his throne with a grin, shoulders relaxed one hand wrapped around a goblet and the other drumming fingers against the handrest. He looked like he belonged there.

She quickly looked away in embarrassment. She had been staring at how his Adam's apple bobbed every time he took a sip and swallowed.

She licked her lips.

His voice startled her when he spoke. "That does remind me. Were you pleased with the flowers?"

"They are beautiful, yes. Thank you."

"My pleasure, my dear."

He stared at her, as if waiting.

She sighed, "Yes?"

"Well?"

"Well what?"

He snarled, throwing his cup across the balcony. "Have you accepted my invitation?"

She laughed, "Talk about me being easy to tease. You're even easier to get riled up."

He stalked towards her, placing a hand on each arm of her chair and leaning close enough for her to feel his breath on her face. It smelled like grapes and spice. His lips looked so-Her stomach twisted weirdly.

"Be careful, little one. You should know not to play with fire. You can easily get burnt."

Her chest rose and fell rapidly but she still raised her chin and grinned. "What if I'm fireproof?"

He laughed, "We will see. Now what is your answer?"

She slowly stood, her body brushing against his. She shivered. 'God he is solid.' 

He froze, looking down at her with wide eyes, his hands clenching and unclenching at his sides.

"What time should I be ready by?"

He grinned, taking a step back from her.

"I will collect you at 8. The first gong after nightfall."

A series of bells sounded.

"The first day of the tournament has ended."

He gently lifted her hand and kissed it. "I thank you for your lovely company, Lily Cage. It has been...educational."

Lily looked down at her hand and then back at him. She was suddenly so confused. "Umm, so 8?"

Shang Tsung gave a short nod before motioning to a monk.

"Until tonight, my dear."

It was a blur, following the monk back to the courtyard but hearing her brother's voice quickly cleared her head.

Did she really do that? She still couldn't believe it. She agreed to have dinner with him.

And just what was she doing...not only staring at him like he was edible but also teasing him like she had. A few times it felt like he actually wanted to devour her but instead of scaring her...it thrilled her. Set her blood on fire. What the hell was wrong with her?

'You idiot, Lily.  The hot 'bad guy' cliche strikes again. Damn it. He's not hot, he's a smug pain in the ass.'

"Hey sis, you okay? You didn't get grossed out or anything, did you?"

"No. I'm fine. Good job in your fight against Kollector by the way."

"Thanks. Hey, how did you know his name was Kollector?"

"Shang Tsung told me."

"Hold up. Shang Tsung?"

She nodded, "Yep. He invited me to watch from the balcony."

Johnny suddenly grabbed her arms, "He didn't hurt you or try anything did he? If he did, I swear I'll-"

She giggled, "Always the protective big brother. No, he didn't try anything. He actually was pleasant."

"Which means you just have to be more careful around him. Who knows what he's planning. But enough of that, lets go eat. I'm starving."

She laughed dryly, "Umm, about that? I may or may not have agreed to have dinner with him."

"What? You're just yanking my chain right? Right? Please tell me you're joking? Lily?"

"What's the matter, Dad? Hey aunt Lily."

"Well apparently your aunt agreed to have dinner with Shang Tsung of all people."

Cassie's jaw fell open. "Damn, aunt Lily. Really?"

She put her head in her hands, her answer muffled.

"I know, I know. But after this morning, I just didn't think."

"Wait what happened this morning?"

"I woke up and there were flowers, lilies to be more specific, everywhere. Along with another invite."

Her brother looked so confused and lost. "Flowers, really?"

She nodded sheepishly. "I said thank you, because I was wanting to be polite but he asked again so I just said yes. And now I have to find something nice to wear before 8 or the first gong after nightfall. I am an idiot."