Mortal Kombat Fan Fiction ❯ Of Serpents and Sirens ❯ Walking the Ledge ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Lily was frightened. From what Shang and the others had told her of Shao Kahn, he was a formidable fighter and very quick to anger.

Shang was straightening the hem of her robe as he directed her, "Be wary of how you speak to him. Don't use overly large words and keep your answers short and to the point. Let him speak first then reply. And if he asks you to look him in the eye do not hesitate to do so. He abhors weakness."

His hands smoothed over her waistband, resting against her stomach. "They do not know about Fai. Do not tell them or give them any indication that you are with child."

"What about Sindel?"

He reached for her hair, making sure the golden dragon hairclip in her long braid was straight. "Do not lie. She will know and be adamant in pointing it out to Shao Kahn. She has knowledge of magic and can use a banshee-like call to disorientate her opponents. Also she can manipulate her hair much like an extra limb."

She looked at Shang softly. He clearly did not like this idea at all as he couldn't fussing, his hands constantly messing with her clothes or playing with the clasp on her braid.

Her hands grabbed his and she smiled, reassuringly.

"Its okay. We can do this."

Lily turned to the little dragon and patted its head gently, "Xiǎo huǒ, I need you to behave. No moving, at all. Not unless absolutely...I mean ABSOLUTELY necessary. Okay?"

It chirped at her and settled across her shoulders, its head resting on her left shoulder and its tail wrapping around the upper part of her right arm. With one last trill it went silent and hardened as if becoming metal again.

They both looked at Xiǎo huǒ in shock.

Lily giggled, "I didn't know he could do that. Wait, are you a boy?"

It chirped and shook its head before settling back down.

"Okay, girl, sorry."

Shang looked at her oddly, "You can understand her?"

She nodded, "Yeah, I mean its doesn't translate to words in my head but its like I feel it, you know? Arghh! It's hard to explain..."

He chuckled, "I understand, hehua. Now lets go. We must not keep them waiting as much as I would like to."

"Wait."

"Lily, what are-"

She pulls him to her and kisses him fiercely. When she pulls away she smiles at him, toying with one of his braids.

She winks.

"For luck."

Shang shakes his head and kisses her back gently.

"For luck."

/  -  /  -  /  -  /

When Raiden and Johnny entered the courtyard for the tournament they were quickly approached by Liu Kang And Kung Lao. The latter being red in the face and barely able to look at them both.

"Lord Raiden!"

"Liu Kang, are you prepared for the fight today?"

"Yes and no. There is some grave news I must deliver."

Raiden looked at him questioningly, "What is it, Liu Kang?"

"Shao Kahn has made an appearance. The news among the monks is that he plans to fight today."

"So he has shown his hand. He is desperate to win. So much so that he will enter himself to try and do so. In blatant disregard of the rules."

"So this is bad."

"Very much so, Johnny."

Lao blushed deeper and cleared his throat. Liu elbowed him.

"Hey, hat trick, you okay? You seem a little red, buddy?"

Liu sighed, dragging a hand over his face.

"We tried to enter the hot springs last night but were stopped by your daughter and Lord Fujin."

Johnny raised a finger, opened his mouth, but then shook his head, taking his sunglasses off. "Nope. Got nothin'. This is all you big guy."

"Johnny Cage."

"Thunderstruck."

Liu looks between the two of them and chuckles. "It all makes sense now."

Raiden looks down at him in shock.

"You have always let him get away with calling you nicknames and he has been the only one so far to make you laugh openly. I don't know how I didn't see it sooner."

Lao snorts, "Next time, don't choose such a public area. I do not want to hear that ever again."

Johnny laughs loudly while Raiden turns red, "I'm not apologizing for that one."

"Johnny, how can you be so...so dismissive of this?"

"I'm a Hollywood star. I'm used to tabloids and rumors. You just got to let it slide. If you let it get to you then they win. And I don't like to lose."

Raiden chuckles, "surprisingly wise words from you, Johnny."

The smaller man splutters, "Hey, now just wait a minute..."

The thunder god chuckles again and places a hand on his shoulder. "I did not mean it in jest. I am still quite new to..."

He gestured between them.

Johnny grinned, "To us?"

"Us...yes."

Raiden smiled back.

Lao laughed. "Now that is surprising. Raiden actually taking advice from the Hollywood playboy."

"Keep it up hat trick...I'm warning ya."

"That is enough banter for now. Johnny. Liu Kang. Kung Lao. We must be wary going forward."

"Don't worry, big guy. We got this."

Raiden leans over and touches the sunglasses in Johnny's hands lightly. "I mean it Johnny Cage. We cannot afford any loss."

/  -  /  -  /  -  /

The doors open wide and Shang steps into the banquet hall, Lily on his arm. He is calm and collected, face hardened into the mask he always wore in front of the emperor and his queen.

He glanced quickly at Lily and was inwardly pleased at how steady her breathing was and there was no emotion on her face as she looked towards the throne.

He patted her hand on his arm. "Deep even breaths, hehua."

As they got closer to the throne, Lily could see now why people were wary of Shao Khan. He was huge and the hammer sitting at his side only made the intimidation much more profound. This was not an emperor. This was a conqueror that had no doubt killed to claim his crown. 

"Well Shang Tsung? Is this her?"

"Yes, my emperor. Might I introduce Lily Cage. Sister of Johnny Cage and aunt to Cassandra Cage."

"Another one? How many are they of your line?"

"Only three."

"Mother and father?"

"Dead."

"I heard that you do not fight, is that true?"

"Yes and no."

She was still staring at the floor, staring at the gold gauntlet of Shang in her peripheral.

"Look at me."

Lily swallowed hard before she tilted her gaze up to look at Shao Kahn. The skull helmet covered most of his face but she could see his eyes through them. Almost reptilian with their reddish orange tint.

He chuckled, "I will ask you again. Do you fight?"

"I can fight, yes, but I choose not to."

He snorts, "You choose not to. Why?"

"I am more partial to writing that fighting."

He leans back and waves a hand at her. "So you are a scholar."

"Yes."

"What of?"

Now this was the question she feared the most. People would always look at her strangely for her choice of subject.

"I write fairy tales."

"Fairy tales?"

"Yes. Are there no fairy tales in Outworld?"

Shang looked at her sharply. She had asked the emperor a question. 

'My bold hehua.'

Shao Kahn laughed, "You are bold, Lily Cage. I will allow your question this once. No, there are no fairy tales in Outworld. There is only the need for survival. No need for fairy tales and happy ever afters'. We make our endings through our pain."

Shang's mind raced. He answered her question and with more than one sentence. That was unexpected.

"Now, Lily, why are you here if you do not fight?"

"To watch my brother and niece."

"Ahh, Cassandra Cage. A woman with fire. I could use a woman like her in my harem."

Lily inwardly cringed. 'okay, gross. Euugh.'

"My love, might I ask her a few questions?"

"My empress, Sindel. Is she not magnificent?"

Lily's eyes shifted to the woman standing beside Shao Khan and nodded.

Sindel smiled widely but there was no emotion to it.

"Well aren't you a beautiful little thing? I can definitely see why he has been drawn away. Can you husband?"

"Yes."

Sindel stepped closer, and traced her cheek, gripping her chin and turning it left and right as she looked her over.

"Such glowing, pale skin and her hair is almost like gold."

Sindel walks around her and slides her hands down her sides, making her jump. "Such delicate, soft curves too."

Shao Kahn shifts in his seat.

"Shang Tsung has such good taste in women, does he not, my love?"

"That he does."

Shang's hands are tight fists at his side as he watches Sindel caress Lily's curves and inside he is fuming, furious that she dare touch his hehua. But he does not act, knowing he is powerless to do anything lest he be punished. Or worse, they force him to watch as they punish Lily instead. And that could not happen.

He could only hope that Lily had the strength to endure all this.

For their son's sake.

Sindel wraps her arms around Lily's front and whispers into her ear. "I know your secret."

She presses a kiss to Lily's neck before speaking again, her hands rubbing over her abdomen. "You cannot hide this."

Ice flushes her insides and she gasps, suddenly completely terrified.

She knew. 

Sindel knew about the baby.