Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mission Iruka Christmas ❯ Cranberries ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Iruka hadn't been expecting the bright orange and blue box that was waiting for him on his doorstep that evening. He knew who it was from so he picked it up and walked inside. He studied it again, then set it on the coffee table before walking into the kitchen to start tea and get a knife.

He frowned at the knowledge that Naruto was so far away on Christmas. They'd spent it together for years and it really wouldn't be the same without him. Although spending his first Christmas with Kakashi was great too. He poured his tea and wandered back into the living room and sat down on the couch.

Careful of the contents he slit the top of the box open and removed a few pieces of tissue paper. An envelop and a small box lay on top of more tissue paper. He smiled and opened the letter.

Dear Iruka-sensei

I know I'm not supposed to be sending you letters but I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten you on Christmas. I'm sorry I missed your birthday. Ero-senin had us out in the middle of nowhere. He's busy peeping at girls so I'm safe for awhile. You must be bored without me. You can buy Konohamaru ramen sometimes if you get too lonely.

This old man sells this neat fruit that I thought you should have. It doesn't taste good in ramen but he says they go good in muffins and I know you like those. He also offered to ship them for me and if anyone asked he'd say you special ordered them for Christmas since some people string them up like we did with popcorn last year. Since I can't be there, I thought I could be there, only as a cranberry, you know?

Oh and the box is for Sakura. I was thinking maybe you could give it to her for me. It's a bracelet. This old man's daughter makes them and they're special because she says the stones promote good health. Which sounds like Sakura now that she's studying to be a medic nin. Make sure she knows it's from me, okay?

Well I better go find ero-senin or he'll get caught and then we won't be able to sleep at the bathhouse.

Naruto

Iruka chuckled and set the letter aside then he pulled the small box out and set it on top of the letter. Finally he reached in and pulled the rest of the tissue paper out. Under was a clear plastic bag full of small red berries. So that's what cranberries look like.

Opening the bag he took one out and popped it in his mouth. His face contorted in an almost pained expression and he spat the thing out again. "That is gross," he said walking over to the trash can and throwing it in. "Well at least they'll look good on the Christmas tree." He frowned, there was probably enough there for 10 Christmas trees. But they really were awful. He'd have to figure out something to do with them. Or maybe Kakashi would have an idea. Iruka packed up his box again.

He tossed a couple of his books in his bag and slung it over his shoulder. It was a good thing he'd decided to come by to pick them up. He had no idea what would happen if they had gotten wet or too hot. He smiled as he locked up and carried the box over to Kakashi's.