Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Last Time:
Suddenly the mist ninja split into two.  Then four.  The masked person kept on dividing so fast it was making Naruto's head spin and his stomach twist.  A sudden twinge of pain ripped through the right side of his head and he instinctively reached up and grasped his temple, completely missing the senbon that Haku threw at him.  His eyes rolled up into the back of his head and he began to pitch forward, right as the needle pierced his stomach. 
 
Naruto hit the ground with a thud and didn't move…
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
In less than a second, Anko was at her son's side, checking him over and calling his name.  Sasuke was able to refrain from attacking only because he was frozen with dread.  He was unable to help his family again. 
 
“Sasuke, he'll be fine, he's still breathing and his heart rate is a bit high, but it's still strong.  I'm more worried about the acid in his stomach, damaging his muscles and other organs right now.”  Anko said through clenched teeth.  “But since I'm worthless when it comes to being a medic-nin, I think I'll take out my frustrations on a certain mask-wearing kid!”
 
With that declaration of pain, Anko and Sasuke engaged the mist ninja. Kakashi placed himself between Zabuza and Tazuna along with Sakura.  Suddenly, a thick mist began to roll through the area.  As if it were some unseen signal, both Zabuza and Kakashi disappeared into the fog.
 
“Sakura, you need to protect Tazuna and Naruto.  I'd suggest you use your new skills now, but keep some chakra left, incase it is needed.”  Kakashi's disembodied voice rang out through the fog, before the sounds of battle replaced it.
 
Sakura only nodded and gave a silent `good luck' to all of the Konoha shinobi, before she moved over to Naruto's body and dragged him back towards Tazuna.  Once she was done with that, she bit her thumb, and drew blood.  Quickly performing seals, she quietly muttered “Kuchiyose no Jutsu!” (Summoning technique) With an audible `poof', two dogs appeared and stood guard over Tazuna and Naruto.  One was an adult Golden Retriever; he was about three feet long and 2 feet tall. He weighed almost sixty pounds and had a small Konoha leaf embroidered onto a handkerchief around his neck.  The second dog was an adult Bearded Collie. She wasn't as tall as the golden retriever, but weighed almost as much. She was only two feet long and a foot high, but was much more energetic.  In the week that she had been practicing the technique, her chakra reserves had grown rapidly.  Since the summoning took a lot of chakra to do, it drained her quickly, and she was then forced to practice controlling what little chakra she still had.  The two dogs in question didn't take much chakra to summon; it was about the equivalent of making four bunshins…five times…each.  So for Sakura, that was a lot of chakra.
 
“Koumyaku (Streak) Onchou (Grace), I need you to guard Tazuna-san, while I check on Naruto.”  Sakura ordered.  The two dogs quickly padded over to the old man and tensed as they monitored the battle around them.  Well, Koumyaku did, the golden retriever was more battle hardened than his compatriot, Onchou simply stood there and wagged her tail in anticipation.  Sakura quickly worked to diagnose her fallen teammate.  His breathing was indeed very labored, his heartbeat was becoming weaker and weaker, and he was beginning to sweat, despite the coolness of the fog, indicating a fever.  His body was trying to burn out some invader.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
While Naruto was unconscious, the Kyuubi was working overtime.  Something in the DNA of that hunter nin was not agreeing with Naruto's DNA.  The demon knew that he could stop the process of absorption any time he wanted, the seal did allow him to heal his vessel, but he chose to wait.  `Just a little more time kid, just wait a little more.'
  In just a few minutes, his vessel's bloodline would finish copying over the important code for the new bloodline, Mastery of Water and Ice, and he could stop the process.  If only the brat could hold on for another minute or two…
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA