Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Tango ❯ Chapter Nine ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any Naruto characters or the show…
 
The Tango
 
Chapter 9
 
 
 
“Hey, how was it? Wait, it's only six, what happened?” Neji was sitting on her couch with a book in his hand. `God! Just what I needed, my stoic cousin friggin' occupying my house!'
 
“How'd y-you g-get in?” Hinata set her stuff on the floor and kicked her shoes into her coat closet.
 
“Spare key, second loose brick on the right. So what happened?”
 
“n-nothing. He j-just h-had…to r-reschedule, that's all.” Hinata walked into her kitchen and opened her fridge. She pulled out the leftovers from last night. She put it in the microwave and started some tea to boil.
 
“Hinata, are you okay?” `What does he care? It's only formality.'
 
“Are you st-staying for d-dinner, Neji?”
 
“Don't change the subject. Are you okay?” `Does he care?'
 
“I'm f-fine.”
 
“You're lying to me.” `Well, no duh, Sherlock, I just saw the man of my dreams kissing another girl.' Hinata told her inner self to shut up and turned to her cousin.
 
“Are y-you staying for d-dinner, or n-not?”
 
“I think I'm going to go. I'll see you tomorrow for our run.” Neji walked up to his cousin, and uncharacteristically hugged her. Both Hinata's were touched. “Don't do anything too irrational, cousin.” `Neji! Don't go!' Hinata gave him a sad smile. He let her go and walked out the door without another word.
 
Hinata sat at her small table eating her leftovers in silence. She hoped Neji wouldn't call her friends. She didn't need that right now. `Or maybe you do.'
 
“I d-don't. I just n-need to act as always. I c-can get over this b-by myself.”
 
`Don't be stubborn.'
 
“I know; that's y-your job.”
 
`You need their help. Did you see the way Neji looked? He really cared, Hinata. You need him, and your friends. They'll help you.'
 
“Go a-away.”
 
`No, I have to make sure you won't do anything stupid.'
 
“I'm s-smarter than that. Now j-just leave me alone.” Hinata sighed and finished off the rest of her tea. She wouldn't do it. She hadn't thought about doing that…since the incident. She waited a second. She was relieved when she didn't hear any more voices. Tomorrow was going to be a different day…she hoped.
 
 
 
0000000
 
 
 
“Hinata-chan, you didn't pick up your phone last night. How was it?” Ino stopped by her desk. Hinata yawned and looked at her.
 
“It w-was p-pretty tiring.” She turned back to the computer screen, hoping Ino would just go away.
 
“That's it? What dance did he teach you?” Ino leaned up against the side of the cubicle.
 
“Oh, w-we d-didn't get to the d-dances. He t-taught me s-some of the b-basics, and then he said he w-would have to re-reschedule.” `Don't lie to her.'
 
“Does that mean you're not going today?”
 
Hinata paused for a moment, and turned to Ino. She didn't know what to say. Was she going to go that day? `Are you ready to face him?' Hinata shook her head, “n-no. He h-has stuff to d-do today.”
 
“Oh okay. Well, I'll just tell Sakura and Tenten. They were worried too.”
 
“Oh..kay.”
 
“Well, I'll see you at lunch, Hinata-chan,” Ino said and walked away. `She's worried about you. You can tell by her face.' Hinata didn't want to respond.
 
Hinata turned back to the computer. She needed to check her e-mail. There were five new e-mail messages. She opened the inbox. Hinata suppressed a gasp. They were all from Kiba. “The nerve…” Hinata mumbled under her breath. `They all say `I'M SORRY!' or `PLEASE READ THIS' Hinata, don't be stupid and delete them.' Hinata didn't listen. She highlighted all of them and pressed to delete. And for good measure, she deleted them out of her trashcan.
 
“Hmph, s-serves him r-right…” Hinata snorted. `You don't mean that.'
 
“Serves who right?” Hinata stopped. She recognized that voice. She spun in her chair. It was Naruto, her first love.
 
“Oh…n-n-nobody…” Hinata stuttered. Naruto looked gorgeous under even the florescent lights, in his smart orange polo shirt and black slacks. `Not as gorgeous as Kiba under the star light on a motorcycle…' Hinata stopped herself from scoffing.
 
“Well, whoever got on your bad side is missing out on a lot.” Naruto grinned big and goofy. Hinata smiled.
 
“r-really?”
 
“Believe it!” Hinata took a deep breath; she was going to do it.
 
“N-naruto, would y-you like to c-come to Ichiraku's for l-lunch?” Her voice was firm, but she couldn't help but stutter. `Oh god, Hinata, what did you do?'
 
“With you? Of course.” Naruto grinned. “I love Ichiraku's; how did you know?”
 
“I j-just d-do.” Hinata smiled slyly. `Are you flirting with him?' Inner Hinata was furious. Inner Hinata wanted Kiba, not Naruto.
 
“Well, I guess I'll see you in about an hour,” he said, looking at his watch. She nodded. “Bye Hinata-chan.” She turned to her e-mail once more, she needed to e-mail Tenten, Sakura, and Ino that she wouldn't be eating lunch with them today.
 
 
 
000000000000
 
 
“So how was work today, Hinata?” Neji sat on her couch, while she changed into some running clothes, in her bedroom.
 
“It w-was g-good. I k-kinda went on a l-lunch d-date with…” Hinata had to pause to pull her shirt over her head.
 
“Inuzuka,” Neji yelled back finishing her sentence. Hinata winced.
 
“No, I w-went with Naruto Uzu…Uzumaki,” Hinata finished. She walked out and Neji looked at her oddly.
 
“But what about…?” Hinata stopped him before he could finish.
 
“Him? N-no…it w-was only one d-date. The d-dance lessons weren't that gr-great, anyways.” Hinata walked over to her fridge to grab water. Something caught her eye; it was the list. And right in front of her eyes was number 17, ask Uzumaki Naruto on a date. She grabbed a pen from the counter and crossed it off. She reached in the fridge her water with a smile on her face. Inner Hinata, on the other hand, was scowling. `Don't you realize what you're doing, Hinata. You're hurting him and yourself.' Secretly, Hinata wondered what `him' she was talking about.
 
 
To Be Continued…
 
Author's Note: I know my last two chapters were wimpy and short, so hopefully this one's a bit better. I really appreciate the reviews! They make me so happy when I see a new one.