Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Unraveling of a Dune ❯ Chapter 5

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
Unraveling of a Dune
PART V
By: emeraldoni
Disclaimer: …
 
 
Sometimes Sakura missed home, Konoha, and her friends. It was hard for her to imagine that she was actually under the same sky as them. The sky above Suna seemed so…different. It was vast; a pale blue that seemed so overwhelming that dizziness overcame her when she stared too long. And then the clouds… they moved so fast, never resting in the sky with ease, instead they flowed across the expanse as though in a rush to get somewhere, or a rush to get away.
 
She sighed, arms behind her head as she rested on top of an inconspicuous roof. Tsunade had ordered this to be a vacation of sorts, but it seemed to have just stressed her out even more. Oh, it was wonderful when she first got here, but now…
 
Gaara was avoiding her. The short glimpses she had caught of the KazeKage had been few and far between. The words he gave her had been cold and impersonal. Every time he talked to her, every time he ignored her, it felt as though a hand was constricting her chest, like she was bleeding.
 
Sakura had checked for internal bleeding, but even with her extensive medical training she found nothing. Well, that was stupid, she knew what was wrong, she just didn't want to admit it. With what had happened, she didn't even want to entertain the thought, spitting in the notions hypothetical face.
 
In some deep recess of her mind Sakura realized she wasn't acting like herself, more so like Sasuke, or someone… someone who hid their feelings. But she couldn't say she had no good reason, she certainly did have one.
 
It was the feeling of shame, embarrassment, depression, anger… all of those vying for attention in her mind, in her heart. It was reasonable, considering that she had never, ever, been so intimate with a man, nor any other living person. She had practically dissected herself then showed him with her skin wide open pinned to the side. She had revealed her very core to him, and acted like it was nothing. He was her first kiss, for Kami's sake, and he had literally thrown her to the floor, figuratively stomping her insides with his heavy boots.
 
It had taken a while, and it went against her very being, but Sakura had finally decided that maybe she should leave. The `vacation' had never been needed, and it wasn't much of one anyway. In fact, Sakura was looking forward to going back to work, whether on active duty as a shinobi, or a medic-nin at the hospital. It would take her mind off things. At least, that's what she hoped.
 
Yeah, she offered a smile to no one but the sky, though there was no joy in it what so ever. She would head back to Konoha. Maybe it wasn't the perfect solution, but it was what she had come up with on the spot. It was what she wanted to do, to escape.
 
She decided she would leave that night.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
Gaara stared out the window, his eyes dull and inattentive as he ignored the speaker before him. Kankurou, currently silenced and eying his comrade, posed a question completely unrelated to the topic (which was about the increasing amount of strays in the city).
 
“Hey, what's with you? You're not normally like this.”
 
Gaara turned his attention his attention to his brother and ally, shrugging off the concern like an overly warm coat, “Nothing. Go on.”
 
“You weren't even listening.”
 
“I was.”
 
“No, you weren't.”
 
“Leave.”
 
Kankurou sighed, dropping the boring report on the paper-scattered desk before him. He wasn't brushed away so easily, and though he turned to leave, words still left his mouth.
 
“What about Sakura-san? I haven't seen her in a while. Is her vacation over?”
 
The puppet master did not miss the narrowing of the KazeKage's eyes, nor the tightening of his mouth.
 
“She is still here.”
 
“Yeah? Well, then, say hi to her for me.”
 
Gaara gave a stiff nod, mentally sighing in relief as Kankurou left the sun bathed office. In truth, he had been trying to stay as far away from Sakura as possible. She was still in Suna, of that he knew, and she still lived in the mid-sized apartment they shared. All because she didn't see him, didn't mean he didn't see her.
 
He found—since now he couldn't sleep, not without her—that he like to watch her sleep. Her breathing became calm, as her chest moved up and down, slowly, rhythmically. Her brow was sometimes soft and smooth, while other times it was furrowed. Oftentimes she cried.
 
He left when that happened. It wasn't anything loud, or dramatic, but soft, silent tears that ran unrealized down her flushed cheeks. That was the hardest part, the knowledge that he could do nothing to help her, nothing but stay away.
 
It wasn't some sudden realization, though it came through the fog all at once. No, this had been an inkling in his mind for some time, something that had lived within him from a time before even Sakura came along. She just activated it.
 
Gaara had never been meant to have someone close, to never be loved in an intimate manner. He was loved, but not closely. The love offered to him by Temari and Kankurou was like respectful siblings, completely trusted in battle, in life, but never touching. The love Naruto gave to him was of the likeminded, of two outcasts knowing the others pain.
 
The one time he had loved with affection the person had died, by his own hands.
 
He didn't want that. He could deal with distant touches and relationships, but though Shukaku had been sedated for the time being with Sakura, he would not remain that way forever. Gaara didn't have complete control when dealing with her. When she was hurt, when she was feeling pain, he lost it, taken over by rage, madness.
 
Suna would be in danger.
 
Sakura would be in danger.
 
He didn't want that. He wanted her to be safe, to be protected and cared for, which she wouldn't feel with him. Yes, he may feel something for her, lust, love, a multitude of emotions which swirled inside him like bees in a hive, but they could be placated, as long as she was happy.
 
And she would be happy, as soon as she found someone who could protect, who could make her feel warm and be with her for the rest of her life, which would last long.
 
Gaara growled slightly. Unfortunately, his thoughts were ruined by the tightening of his chest and haze in his eyes. The thought of her being with another man outraged him. He knew it would be better for her to commit to someone else, but his body would not agree.
 
In fact, his body, his self in general, was angry. He wouldn't pinpoint his anger, directing it at nothing, or some unsuspecting person who pushed him over the edge, but if he had to admit it, he would probably say he was mostly angered by himself. He hadn't see Sakura in days, not even to watch her sleep. His nights had been spent in the office, hovering over paperwork and trying to keep his mind blank.
 
Maybe it was time he spoke to her.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
The apartment was empty, as though it hadn't been lived in for days. The air was stale and musty, and Gaara noticed that the kitchen was covered in a fine layer of dust once again.
 
The bathroom was the same. The curtain hung like a dead animal, and only the bare basics of personal hygiene was left behind. The colorful shampoos and pungent body washes had been removed. The place was barren.
 
Flashes of the morning that had started this all ran through his head, making his body heat slightly, and had him aching for the pink haired kunoichi. He exited the room. That was enough.
 
By the time he reached the bedroom, he had already known she was gone. But, for some unknown reason, he had to confirm it with his own eyes. It hurt all the same, though, the knowledge that she was gone. The bed was made, just like before she came, with nary a wrinkle.
 
The curtains were drawn, making the space dim and producing a disheartening atmosphere. He hoped she did that after she left. He didn't want her staying in that setting. Sakura was a person of the sun and light. She did not belong in darkness.
 
Gaara collapsed on the bed, shoulders hunched as he sat and stared at his hands. The sheets crumpled, but he didn't mind. It reminded him of her.
 
It was good she was gone. This was what he had wanted.
 
Gaara exited the small home, heading down to the streets. People greeted him and he returned the favor, nodding to them in acknowledgement.
 
It was good she was gone, Gaara thought as he walked out of the gates.
 
It was good she was gone, Gaara repeated as he walked in the direction of Konoha.
 
It was good she was gone…
 
Right?
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
Sakura's shoulders slumped slightly in relief as she approached the Konoha gates. It seemed the past few days had been spent running, eating, and freezing her ass of in ice cold streams—even in her depressed state she couldn't let her hygiene go.
 
Her sleep, though, was a completely different story. Shadows settled themselves gently under her eyes, bruised and slightly swollen, like she had been hit. Around the white of her once-bright orbs, dim now, was a red and bloodshot lattice-work of stress, matching her sunburned cheeks. All the little physical annoyances, wrapped together with her dark mood made the fatigued kunoichi even more miserable.
 
It helped, just a little, that Konoha was exactly the same as when she left. The streets bustled, but not with shoulder to shoulder traffic, just enough to feel obscure. Shops lined the streets, along with buildings, and walls separating the public from private homes. Leaves fell to the ground in bright colors: oranges and reds and yellows, whirling together in the coming of fall.
 
Sakura had to hurry home, before the tears began to overwhelm her.
 
She had truly missed this.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
“So,” Tsunade stared at her former student, silent suspicion clouding her eyes, “You've returned.”
 
Sakura nodded; face brittle as she tried to keep her composure, “Yes. I feel completely rested. I'm sure I can go back to work now.”
 
Tsunade's eyes studied her own, assessing the state her young, former student was in.
 
“You sure?”
 
Sakura nodded her head with a determined tilt, eyes strait forward as her lips tightened, “I want to work.”
 
Tsunade slumped back, poured herself a small cup of sake, then waved a hand at Sakura, “Fine, fine. Come here.”
 
She did so, slightly hesitant, but willing to anything to get her job back. Standing next to the Hokage, a question in her eyes, Sakura leaned forward as Tsunade pulled on her collar.
 
“Close you eyes.”
 
She felt a cool hand cover her upper face. Callused fingers soothed her forehead as healing chakre made the tense feeling of her muscles relax. Energy flowed through her skull, dissolving the stress, leaving relaxation behind. Sakura smiled as she pulled away.
 
“Thanks, Tsunade-shishou.”
 
“Yeah, yeah. Go home and get some rest. Report to the hospital tomorrow, early morning, you know when.”
 
“Okay. Tomorrow, then.”
 
“Mmhm. Now, get out.”
 
Sakura left, leaving Tsunade staring at the wall crowded with pinned up papers, though she quickly desisted as she called for Shizune.
 
“Get Kakashi for me. I need to have the guards watch out for a certain someone at the gate.”
 
The certain someone who had obviously hurt her apprentice, and would not get away with it.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
Gaara stepped out of the thick foliage, striding towards the Konoha entrance on the well worn dirt road. Ignoring the shinobi he made to step his way through the overwhelming gate, expectant of finding his Kunoichi as quickly and easily as possible. The KazeKage was not at all expecting for the men to step in front of him, sending him fierce glares as they stepped into his path.
 
“Stop. Do not go any farther, Gaara of the sand, you are not allowed to enter Konoha.”
 
Gaara's eyes narrowed and his mood darkened considerably at such a petty inconvenience.
 
“Let me pass.”
 
“No. Direct orders from the Hokage herself. You are not allowed in. Ever.”
 
“I do not care. Move.”
 
“I'm sorry, but, no.”
 
Gaara's hands clenched into fists so tight his knuckles burned white, and his eyes became bloodshot. He wanted to see Sakura. These fools, these weaker, worthless beings were blocking his way, and he would do anything to remove them.
 
Maybe his objective had been a little clouded. Gaara wasn't entirely sure when he had reached Konoha. The entire trip seemed to just be a distant memory, hazy with age, though it had just come about. If he had been thinking clearly, he would have realized he was doing the exact thing her feared: losing control.
 
Gaara was pulled out of his thoughts, though, by a light-toned voice.
 
“Ah! KazeKage-dono, we weren't sure when you would arrive.”
 
Gaara turned to the annoying sound, greeting the person petulantly, “Copy-nin.”
 
Kakashi had his fingers raised in his every day, casual `hello.' His eye crinkled with a smile, however false it may be, for the angered visitor.
 
“So, how have you been these days? You haven't visited in a while.”
 
Gaara's brow furrowed as his eyes narrowed even further. Gritting his teeth he said, “Let me in. Now.”
 
“Sorry, `fraid I can't do that. Hokage's orders, you know.”
 
“I don't care. I need to get in.”
 
“No can do. Sorry.”
 
Gaara stepped forward, his demeanor obviously antagonistic as he got into an offensive stance.
 
“Tell me, Hatake, how much do you value your life?”
 
“How much to you value Sakura?”
 
He didn't have an answer, so Gaara attacked instead.
 
Oooo000OOO000oooO
 
A/N: Well… that's that, I'm glad I finished this story, now I can go onto the other one. It's called the `Budding Youth of a Flowery Bunch.' And you're in luck! It has Gaara in it too, featured with out very own favorite… Rock Lee! I bet their sex will be fun.
 
Just kidding (which you probably already knew) this isn't over. Obviously. So here's my real A/N—
 
Happy 14th Birthday `angelfox13'… I hope your year goes well. You have my best wishes. That was the year my life went downhill, so I have a dream that yours will ascend instead. Good luck with life, I hope you don't get lost on it (like a certain someone I could name) and so I dedicate this chapter to you. Chapter 5 of Unraveling of a Dune. I know it's not the happiest one, but it leads to the happy one. I'm sure you can draw some hidden moral or meaning behind it, or something like that…
 
Also, it seems—so far—that the AU Gaara fic is way—WAY—in the lead. At the moment, that is going ot be my next project. Let me warn you though, these will proabablt not be super long, like twenty chapters. Maybe—MAYBE—ten. We'll see. It could become a one-shot for all know. Remember, I write out of my ass.
 
Well, that's that. Happy Birthday to `angelfox13', and to anyone else out there who has a B-day as well (tell me and I'll be nice.) I also want to thank all the reviewers. I'm amazed at how many I have gotten. I'm really unused to this, normally my stories are comparably to ghost towns. Hmmm. Must be the genre, or something…
 
Well, until next time…
 
Emeraldoni
 
PS: my e-mail has not been working. At all. So, I get no update notices about anything (reviews, PMs, etc…) if you have tried to contact me, I'm sorry. Leave it in the review and I will get back to you. Later.
 
UPDATE (9/12/06): Wow, I really have to express some thanks to MM.org. Originally this story was placed on FF.net, for the reason that they review a lot more. But this has made me so ecstatic that I decided to address my MM.org people. I want to thank these members: ClassicalTwist, Sabrina Usagi, jetset6, Aoidragon, and inu youkai Ashiyame.
 
Thanks a lot, guys, I think my hope has been renewed. Also, I have started the first part to the GaaraxSakura AU, and hopefully that will be done by the time I finish uploading this, and there is only a few parts left, so I better get crackin'.
 
emeraldoni