Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Who are you and what have you done with Sasuke? ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or the universe in which they reside, only the plot
 
 
Key: “conversation” and `thoughts'
 
 
{January 11, 2008}
 
Chapter 1:
 
“Are we clear on the aspects of this mission?” asked Tsunade. The godaime of Konohagakure may come off as a lazy, gambling alcoholic but she wasn't the hokage for nothing. She was one of the Sannin; recognized for her unrivaled skill in medical jutsu and her awesome physical strength. Her honey-colored eyes slowly appraised the woman in front of her. She believed she was right in her decision. After all, she trained the woman herself. Once a weak, dependent girl with no ambition now stood a strong woman worthy of the title `shinobi'. Tsunade was proud of her apprentice. The village may have requested her services, but she knew Sakura was up for the task. `The future was in the hands of the children or something like that,' thought Tsunade. `They have to take care of the village when we [adults] are gone. Oh great, now I feel like drinking. Where's a cup of sake when you need one?'
 
“Confidentiality is of the utmost importance. You will be gone for a few months, but I am sure you will not fail. I have already informed Kakashi of your impending absence. You may inform your parents, but only your parents,” said Tsunade.
 
“Hai, Tsunade-hime. I will pack my things now.” Sakura grabbed the mission scroll, bowed, and dismissed herself. She wanted to leave as soon as possible. `The sooner I leave, the more ground I will cover before nightfall.'
 
She sighed. She didn't want to leave, at least not so soon after successfully retrieving Sasuke. Itachi was still alive, but Sasuke had some run-in with the Akatsuki member that made him reconsider his vengeance plan (or rather the timing). `Vengeance is a dish best served cold,' thought Sakura. So now team 7 has been training and going on missions with Kakashi-sensei. Sasuke wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms, but the only people who really seemed to give him the cold shoulder were certain shinobi, not the civilians. He was put under surveillance, questioned by Tsunade and well-known interrogator Ibiki, and tried by the Council. They decided that it was in the best interest of the village that the Uchiha be allowed back in. He never killed anyone or directly hurt Konoha and its interest. It certainly didn't hurt that he was responsible for the removal of Orochimaru.
 
Sakura made it back to her place and informed her parents of her long -term mission. She didn't reveal the details, just the fact that she will be gone and not to worry. She also had to express the need for confidentiality per Hokage. So they decided that if anyone asked that she was visiting an ailing relative who was in another village. Sakura packed the necessary items but remembered to travel light. `I'll just purchase the necessities on the way there.' She left before lunchtime.
 
The sun was high as Sakura exited the village gates. She looked back and hoped that all would be well when she returned. Sakura was happy that Sasuke returned, but he was still distant. Naruto seemed to be the only one to crack his stoic façade. Even then it was with challenging words or annoying comments that compelled the Uchiha to put Naruto in his place. She whispered, “Sasuke, I hope you'll feel at home and remember that there are people who care for you here.” With a determined look in her eyes, the pink-haired nin leapt onto the trees and swiftly began traveling.
 
********** ************ ************
 
The sun slipped through the blinds of the room of a certain loud-mouthed nin creating a pale, but bothersome glow. Naruto rolled over in the attempt to stall the inevitable. `Just a few more minutes of sleep, that's all I'm asking for.' Unfortunately, he had to get up. He rolled out of bed and headed for the bathroom to relieve himself. After a minute or two (A/N: guys are weird this way), he flushed the toilet and started his shower. Leaving the bathroom rejuvenated, he quickly dressed and headed out the door. He went straight to Ichiraku's for a late breakfast (or lunch).
 
“Ohayo, Naruto-kun. What may I get you today,” asked Ayame, the owner's daughter.
 
“Umm…I think I will have a bowl of beef ramen today.” Remembering Sakura's almost daily lectures of his lack of healthy eating he replied, “…with extra vegetables.” He smiled mischievously thinking, `she didn't say I couldn't eat ramen anymore, just that I needed to eat more veggies.' Putting those thoughts aside, he wondered about today's agenda. He was looking forward to sparring with Sasuke. He was a challenging opponent and they always drove each other to extremes; the kind that rearranges the landscape. `I'll show that teme. Then he will have to acknowledge me as the greatest ninja.'
 
“Here's your order, Naruto-kun,” Ayame hesitantly stated as she looked at the fiery gleam in Naruto's eyes.
 
“Arigato, nee-san. Itadakimasu.” With child-like glee, Naruto split his chopsticks and quickly inhaled his meal. Noting the time by the sun, Naruto bid farewell to Ayame and headed for the bridge. Upon arrival, he noticed a raven-haired man dressed in his usual black attire with signature fan on the back. Sasuke was looking out over the village clearly in thought. When Naruto reached him he smiled broadly and waved. Sasuke gave a slight nod in greeting him. `Damn, he always beats me here.' Naruto stole quick glances at Sasuke to determine his mood.
 
`Hmmm… stoic with a dose of bastard…check.'
It was at this time that Kakashi-sensei decided to show up. “No missions for today. You may train if you want. See you tomorrow.”
“Wait! What about Sakura-chan? asked Naruto.
 
“Ah…Sakura will be absent from team seven missions due to her immediate departure in aiding her dear relative.” Kakashi smiled or at least appeared to. The copy-nin reached into his pocket for his notorious `Icha Icha' volume and walked away without another word. Naruto just watched him leave in amazement.
 
“Are you trying to catch bugs with that?” stated Sasuke causing Naruto to abruptly close his mouth.
 
“She left without saying goodbye. Do you think everything is okay?” Naruto asked in obvious concern.
 
Sasuke shrugged, “it may have been urgent.” Though Sasuke did agree that her lack of a farewell was odd. He turned back towards the direction of the Uchiha district with his head down and his hands in his pockets. Not noticing at first, how a certain blond was silently following him in deep thought.
 
“Do you not have a home to go to, Dobe? Maybe an eager group of brats want to play `ninja' with you.”
 
“Hey! It's great exercise playing with the academy students. They keep me on my toes. Besides, it's fun and Iruka-sensei really appreciates my help.”
 
They reached the gate to the Uchiha estate. Sasuke unlocked the door and entered. He was in the process of closing the door when Naruto slyly slipped by him. “I am not feeding you.”
 
“I already ate, Sasuke-teme. I just wanted to hang out with you. Is that too much to ask for?” It has been tough dealing with the roller coaster of Sasuke's feelings. Some days he was distant and others he was like his old self. `I know four years have passed. I just wanted things to go back to the way they were. Sometimes I don't know how to deal with this Sasuke.' “You hungry, teme?”
 
“Hungry?” Elegant brows curved into an expression of confusion.
 
“For dirt. `Cuz you'll be eating loads of it today,” laughed Naruto. Sasuke resisted the urge to roll his eyes.
 
“I have things to do, unlike some people,” said Sasuke arrogantly.
 
“Oh yeah…like what? Maybe I can help.”
 
The Uchiha sighed and headed down the hall. After a few turns, the pair went through a door, which lead to descending stairs. When they reached the bottom, Naruto realized that they were in some sort of storage basement. There were artifacts and other antiques throughout the large space. “Sugoi! What's all this?” asked Naruto in amazement. “I mean…interesting collection.”
 
“Uchiha property. You forget who I am? I inherited everything the day my brother changed my life,” said Sasuke with a hint of bitterness. After a moment's pause, Sasuke went to a corner and started to go through some items.
 
`Baka. Tact was never my forte. I guess I'll just look around over here.' Going over to the opposite side, he began to investigate.
 
“Be careful. These items are really old. Some are worth more than you will ever make from missions.”
 
Naruto snorted. `I'm not some fucking five year old gaki.' He was inspecting some items on a low table when something to his left caught his eye. He shifted wondering what caught his attention. There was a glass cabinet with lovely items inside. But the one that caught his eye was displayed in the forefront. On a stand, there were these long, thin hairpins with ornate flowers on one end. Next to it was a glass bottle, clearly the partner of the hairpins, with just a small amount of liquid inside. “Beautiful,” murmured Naruto, as if in a trance. Naruto picked up the bottle, curious of its contents. `Maybe it's a sweet-smelling perfume.'
 
“Let's go back upstairs,” called Sasuke from across the room.
 
“…okay,” Naruto said distractedly. He put the bottle down in favor of the hairpins. He shifted the hairpins to catch the light, enraptured by the design and style.
 
“Hey…(gasp).”
 
“Gomen, Sasuke. You surprised me. Did I get you?”
 
Sasuke placed the tip of his index finger in his mouth. “I'm fine, Dobe. Put that back and let's go upstairs.” Naruto did as told and followed the Uchiha out of the basement. Both were unaware of what that seemingly harmless object had put into motion.
 
 
TBC
 
 
________
 
How was this for my first fanfic ever? This took forever. I become like a sort of perfectionist w/ a dose of OCD, that I actually hinder my own writing. So sorry for any grammatical mistakes now and in the near future. Hmmm...I should get a beta. R/R