Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Watcher in the dark ❯ Creature of the night ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Author's notes: why I decided to write this I have no idea. The thing wouldn't leave my thoughts until I wrote it down. Those of you who read My Lovely, don't worry, not going to be like that fic I assure you. Now on with the story.




I watch you from a far, a top on another apartment building, looking in your window. You sleep peacefully this night, no nightmares to plague your sleep whilst I watch you. They put you through so much pain, yet you receive no thanks for it, no praise for what you do. You have given them all, yet they have returned nothing! They are an ungrateful lot, all of them, those whom you live with, those who you work with, you watch over them, protect them, without you they would be lost. It is an injustice to let any harm befall you.


I see how she treats you, accuses you, injures you, yet you take it without any complaint. When she treats you so horribly, I can feel my blood boil, feel the urge to strike her down and leave nothing but a corpse! But I can not do this, for a far I know that if I did you would hate me. I have seen your hate, seen you use it. It is a terrible thing, a wrath swifter than that of the Almighty. You're so different when your hate consumes you; you fight like beastlike a demon.


You stir! Rolling and tumbling in your sleep, sweat pours down your brow. You grimace as though in pain; I mutter some words in a language so old that it was ancient when Sumer existed. Light passes over your body and slowly your body loosens, you become less tense, and then resume normal sleep. The sun is coming up, I dare not stay much longer, and I long for the day I can present myself to you in person. And when it comes, I will make you a happy.



It was a beautiful day in Tokyo 3, the birds were singing, cicadas were chirping, and Asuka was bitching.

"Baka Shinji, wake up God damn it and make my breakfast!" It was Sunday as such Shinji had been taking this time to catch up on some missed sleep. Since he was the only person who could cook, Misato ' s cooking was the equivalent of a mad scientists life work, he had to get up extra early to prepare Asuka ' s lunch, Pen-pens fish, Misato ' s beer and instant ramen, his lunch, and his breakfast. But for the past few weeks Shinji's sleeping schedule had taken a turn for the worst. You see 2 weeks ago, the teacher of class room 2-A proved he was not as senile as people thought, when he announced the date of the final exams. It never crossed the teacher's mind that they didn't know a damn thing about what they should have been studying because he'd taken the time to talk about 2 nd Impact every day for the past few months. So for the next 2 weeks, Shinji had been taking tutoring lessons from Rei, who although missed more school days than any other student, managed to keep at least a 3.5 GPA in a Generals Information class (Same thing as Elementary, one teacher for all the classes).


The cramming however had paid off beautifully, as he had scored a 98 on his test, he would have gotten a 100 but the last question was an essay question. The topic had been W hat do you think the worst event to befall human history was? he had put down World War 1, as that had been the bloodiest war in history, but the teacher had marked it wrong, writing in red ink next to his answer that 2 nd Impact was the worst event. But while Shinji had done very well on his final, it had taken its toll on the boy as he had lost a lot of sleep during the week. Because of this Shinji was trying to capture a few more Z's today to compensate for his lack of sleep. However that compensation would not come as Asuka felt it was her sworn duty to make Shinji's day miserable. Slowly he climbed out of bed prolonging his inevitable chore of making food for his 3 roommates. Slowly he walked into the kitchen, to find Asuka pacing about; she turned around to look at him with her 'Glare of Death'. She whipped her hair back tapping her foot with her arms crossed. Her irritation was hard to miss. "Well... get to it baka!" She walked away to the bathroom to get showered; she'd be back in an hour. Checking the time on the digital clock on the stove he soon noticed it was 8:05. 'Misato won't be awake for another 2 hours at least. ' Knowing that the quality of his food affected how badly Asuka would torment him he quickly set about making some sausage , scrambled eggs, toast, and hash browns for Asuka. While this meal was not common is Japan, it was Asuka's favorite dish, and today Shinji did not want the red haired demon on his case. Knowing that Pen-pen would wake up in approximately 6 seconds, S hinji pulled out a Yebisu, and slow ly fried some fish which he cut up into bite sized pieces . Soon the second freezer opened up to reveal a chilled warm water penguin.


Shinji passed the small buzzard his morning beer, said penguin devoured beer in a Misato like fashion. Sh i nji then placed Pen-pens plate on the table and hoisted the little bird onto the chair. Quickly gobbling up the tiny fish bits Pen-pen watched as Shinji began the slow roast of Misato ' s sirloin steak boiled in beer. Once again not a common breakfast in Japan, however, Misato was not a person to complain about what type of food was served, so long as it was edible. All too soon Asuka came out, looked at the breakfast Shinji had prepared like it was a long lost f riend. In a few seconds the eggs, sausage , toast and hash browns were gone, and Asuka was going at her teeth with a tooth p ick. A few minutes later Misat o came out of her room her eyes were half open, but upon drinking the morning beer Misato's eyes opened wide and full to life it self and she let a yell of joy. Yahooooooo. B efore taking a bite out of her steak Misato remembered a message she'd received from NERV. "Shinji," The boy looked up from his cup ramen. "Asuka," The girl's attention was now drawn from the act of cleanin g her teeth and to Misato. "Rits uko has scheduled us up for some special sync tests at NERV." Upon hearing this Shinji gave his usual *sigh* meaning he'd go along without complaining . Asuka was an entirely different matter.


"What?!" She screeched slamming her hands down on the table; she then began a tirade of German curses that would have made a drunken sailor blush. "And further more me and Hikari were going to the mall to go shopping!" She finished. Misato had plugged her ears with her fingers. She calmly walked over to the sink washed her hands, dried them and sat back down.


"Are you quite finished, Asuka." The girl sat down in the chair her arms crossed, her left eye brow twitching.



"Um, Misato, what's going to be a different about this test?" Misato looked over at Shinji with a mischievous smile.

"Oh you'll find out when you get there."

***********************************


What Shinji found out was one of three things, 1. Doctor Ritsuko Akagi was a woman devoted to her work. 2. She was possibly very cruel. 3. Both. Shinji stood in the men's locker rooms, suiting up, or rather down in this case. The good (evil?) doctor h ad decided that this next test h e, Asuka, and Rei should be naked, she wanted to see how the plug-suits affected the pilots sync ratio, so she had them strip down, and walk all the way from the locker rooms to the test-plugs. The only problem was the distance between the two rooms. The test-plug room was down the hall, up a flight of stairs, and around the corner. That was a very long walk considering they were buck naked. Shinji poked his head out the door looking to see if the coast was clear. He looked to the women's locker room, and saw Asuka also poking her head out. When she noticed his head outside, a frown grew on her face , she then mouthed at Shinji to Go out first, to make sure he didn't look at her beautiful body. Shinji rolled his eyes, completely expecting Asuka to react this way. Stepping out Shinji was blushing so red, that the blood was literall y turning his face tomato red.


Slowly stepping outside Shinji couldn't help but notice that a certain aspect of his anatomy had decided to stand strait and tall. Needless to say this only further increased his embarrassment. Moving as quickly as he could without running, which would just look silly, Shinji remembered that he'd asked Doctor Akagi if she'd turn off the security cameras, so the only persons who could actually see him right now were Asuka and Rei. But it wasn't as if THEY would look at him, after all he was just a scrawny, wimpy, perverted boy, why would they look at him? Contrary to his constant self loathing, and feelings of inadequacy, Shinji would have fainted from blood loss had he realized just how many appreciating looks Asuka AND Rei were giving him. Finally reaching the test plug rooms, his privacy and dignity shattered beyond belief, Shinji climbed into the plug as quickly as he could.


Sighing in relief that the torture had finally ended, Shinji slowly concentrated on becoming one with the simulated spirit of Eva 01, the momentary feeling of disorientation that accompanied synchronizing with Eva 01 fled in moments.
Being one with Eva is hard to describe, it's like being himself, but also being a 40 meter tall behemoth of destruction. Secretly Shinji enjoyed it; the feeling of power that came with being synchronized with the mecha was nothing short of addictive, while yes he hated the pain that accompanied battling in the machine, he also loved the power. It was this drive; this lust for strength and might was one of the few things that kept Shinji going. But this also scared him, what if the power took him over? What if he succumbed to the ever present urge that came from being in the machine to enact destruction upon everything , to destroy the years of efforts by humanity to rebuild it self after 2 nd Impact? What if he hurt those he loved most? It was these thoughts; these ideas that made Shinji fear the bio-machine. Suddenly his concentration was broken by the voice of Misato. Shinji? The test is over dear, you can get out now. Shinji smiled a small smile and answered back.


Hai Misato.


*********************************



Theses halls, they are filled with light, false light that can not harm me. I see now that one who harms you, that wretched girl, hides affection for you. As does the half breed Angel. They will pose a problem, I shall have to get ride of them, yet I know not how. Once again, these filthy creatures have made you feel, uncomfortable, making you expose your self to them ! Perhaps it was all for the amusement of the doctor, nonetheless I shall deal with her as I shall my competition. The one who constantly drinks shall have to go as well, though she gave you abode, she does the least of the chores, doing nothing but drinking liquor to satisfy her addiction. But I will leave your father alone, I know that you would like to deal with him yourself, and then we shall rule the night together.

I watch you leave, the longing I feel for you can only be equaled by my hate of those who would harm you.


*******************************


Shinji turned his head around to look behind himself. Strange, he could have sworn he'd seen something in the corner of his eye.



*******************



I would personally like to apologize if this chapter was bad; this is actually something to hold you guys over till I finish the next chapter in My Guardian of Bloody eyes. Any how, can you guess what the watcher is exactly? Well to tell you the truth I don't know either! I'm just writing this as I go along. Any way if anybody wants to send their ideas as to what the Watcher should be, write it down in a Review.