Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Butterflies & The Net ❯ Chapter 7: Getting to Know You (Part One) ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Butterflies & the Net by iloveanimecartoons
Genre(s): Psychological/Angst/Drama/Romance
Rating: MATURE
Latest Revision: September 17, 2007
 
 
Chapter 7: Getting to Know You (Part 1)
 
 
Jerrod watched a beetle crawl down his was for the third time in the past hour wondering if it was the same one or it there were more than a few bugs that needed to be squished and laughed at his thoughts.
 
`Must be bored…'
 
His eyes left the wall and traveled to his alarm clock, which read 5:42 am.
 
`Been up all night, it seems. Damn.'
 
He felt unsure for the first time in his life, where it came down to Solya's welfare.
 
`Really, ever since Solya walked out on me without a word. That…felt wrong.'
 
It was wrong. He was only doing what he had done for years; look out for Solya.
 
`Yeah…that was all. I've got nothing to feel bad about. Right. Still, Josie sure gave me points to ponder…'
 
As he closed his eyes in what had to be his 10th attempt at grabbing a little shut eye, his thoughts went back to the conversation he'd had a few hours previously.
 
After a nearly hour-long bout with restlessness, Jerrod decided to give one of his most trusted friends a call. He'd been second-guessing his behavior of the past day for a while now. After all, he couldn't have been wrong about what he felt…could he?Nah. However, just to be sure—and totally unbiased—he decided to get a second opinion. The first person that came to mind was Juan, but he'd been utterly hard to catch for weeks now. Then he thought that maybe a female's perspective would be best.
 
`Of course! Josie would understand.'
 
Without a thought of the late hour, he dialed Josie's number and tapped his knee impatiently awaiting his answer.
 
“Jerrod, you are solucky I was fighting a midnight craving, and see your call as a blessing in disguise and not a reason to kick your ass over, at,” she stopped to check her kitchen clock for the time, “…12:42 am. Whaddaya want, Domingo?”
 
“Damn, love you too, Salzedo.”
 
“You'd better. Seriously, what's on your mind? You neverpull a `Solya' on me, calling at all hours of the night like its some ol' regular thing to do. Talk to me, Jer.”
 
“It's just…I don't know…if I was wrong or not. We didn't have a fight exactly, but it's like going to bed mad or something. Um, bad example…”
 
“Lemme guess, you and Sol had a falling out?”
 
Somethinglike that. Not quite. I just…said some things…that Ithought were fine, but…”
 
“Sols wasn't feeling it, huh?”
 
“Nope.”
 
“Okay, spill. I'll give you my vast expertise afterwards.”
 
He spent the next half an hour explaining the events of the last time he'd seen Solya and his arguments for why he felt he was in the right…for the most part. Josie gave him the floor stifling the notion to laugh quite giddily at his generally possessive sounding reasoning. When he paused to come up for air, which came out more like an aggravated breath, she tried her hand.
 
“Done venting?”
 
“I guess.”
 
“First, you know Solya's afraid of trying new things—we alldo, Jerrod—but, you encouraged her to talk to the guy. Hell, not just talkto dude, but go outwith him andswap numbers. I get it that you wanted her to feel like you were supporting her but you didn't really take into consideration how you'd feel after the fact, did you?”
 
“No. But, that would've been selfish. It wasn't on me to tell her not to talk to him, I know…but…”
 
“Selfish is not a word I've ever associated with you. You guys have got one of the most cool, tightest, most honest and, well, sickeninglysweetest relationships I've ever seen. If I wasn't one of your friends, and was on the outside looking in, I'd swearyou guys were involved.”
 
“Oh hell, Josie, don't eversay that around Solya! I wanna live!” Jerrod gasped.
 
“Most likely, she'd be after me, pitchforks and rusty knives galore!” Josie chuckled.
 
“Sucks to be you.”
 
Yanno?But, that said, you may not realize it but you word is law more times than not, when it comes down to Solya. She trusts you above allof us. So, when you made it seem okay and the she was pretty much doing herself an injustice by notgoing for it, I'm sure she took you advice to heart. And she seems comfortable with the dude from what I hear, so why the second thoughts?”
 
“It took me a while to remember all the facts, Josie—it hasbeen over five years since Junior High. He just…didn't get involved when it was going on and Ihad to stop him.”
 
“Elaborate.”
 
“Well, his idiot friends were trying to set Solya up for a really cruel joke,” Jerrod fumed.
 
“The hell?” Josie asked shocked, “Who'd ever want to bother Solya, of all people?”
 
Thoseassholes, apparently. They were talking in the boys restroom as I was about to exit a stall and that's how I heard it all. Some crap about one of `em pretending to like her and wanting to her to be his girl. He was gonna get her number, Josie, and write it all over the bathroom and locker room walls and everywhere else he could. And, let me tell ya Jos, the shit they attached to girls' phone numbers were not for the faint of heart—I could've stomped `em all!”
 
“Shit, I don't blame you!”
 
“And he…Jesse just lightly said some shit about that not being a nice and for them to forget it—no force of conviction in his tone at all, Josie. It was like he was talking about a boring teacher kids always ragged on or something. I watched them for two more days and he never said anything else about it when they'd bring it back up. He'd just shake his head and go on with his day, the phony mother fucker!”
 
“Are you sureyou had all the facts, Jer?”
 
Hell yeah! I cut classes for those two days and snuck in the classes he didn't have with me to observe things, so I know he didn't try to defend her.”
 
“Okay, so you said you had to stop them. What happened?”
 
“Well, it was7th grade—they passed notes and when it got to me, I switched it with a note about Solya meeting me right after class and waited a couple minutes to send mine back in its place. My note basically said I was onto them and that if they valued the current use of their teeth, they'd back the fuck up.”
 
“Damn, you're scary sometimes, Jer.”
 
“Had to get my point across…”
 
“Okay, so then did you go all `bodyguard' and threaten the boys after the fact?”
 
“Not necessary. I just kept extra tabs on Sol for the rest of the school year and made sure to glare at the jerks every now and then, for good measure. Jesse didn't talk to her much, to start, but reallybacked off more after the incident. By the middle of 8thgrade, he didn't seem to talk to her again, period, which was fine by me.”
 
“And you're sureyou read Jesse right?”
 
“He was just as bad as his stupid ass friends; if he couldn't truly stand up for Solya, then he didn't deserve to be in her company—case closed!” Jerrod fumed, breath coming out in short heavy exhalations.
 
“Um, Jer, calm down... I get your point. No need to yell,” Josie soothed.
 
“S-Sorry, Josie. Just pisses me off. And now he wants to take her out. Well, after five years of no contact, and with the way they ended contact in Junior High, something seems off. He'd better notbe trying to make a fool out of her, Jos—I'll fucking thrashthe man!” Jerrod proclaimed vehemently.
 
Breathe, Jer. You'll have your chance to check him out—we allwill.”
 
“How'd you figure that?”
 
“I told Sols that he can come to the Spades party.”
 
“What?!”
 
“Crap. Will you just chilla sec? It's good this way as allof the crew gets to check him out; and with you, Crazy, Trev Larry Boy and Juan there, he's got nowhere to run.”
 
“Okay. I guess that'll do, then.”
 
“Yeah. So, until then, quit going against you own advice with Solya. You're confusing her and she doesn't know how to handle it. Take a breather and try not to go all `Hulk' on Jesse. Your memories are from Junior High and he's had a coupleyears to grow up. Give him the benefit of the doubt and, Jer, don't make Solya feel like she's gotta choose sides.”
 
Isthat what I'm doing to her?”
 
“It could gothere is all I'm saying. So, tread carefully,” Josie advised.
 
“Okay…point taken. I guess I didn't really think about it till you said it. Thanks, Josie,” Jerrod accepted with a sigh as he rubbed the back of his neck.
 
“Yeah, okay; now go to bed. It's almost 2 am and I've got little ones to prep for school in just over five hours.”
 
“Sure. Sorry for keeping you up so late and thanks for listening.”
 
“No big, just try not to make it a habit,” Josie yawned, “Night, Jer.”
 
“Night.”
 
 
“Sol…I'm sorry. I cannot let him or anyone hurt you. But since that includes me, I'd better watch what I say around you,” Jerrod thought aloud as he aimed rolled up sock at the beetle and knocked it off the wall.
 
Checking the clock once more, it read 6:12 am.
 
`It's too early to call Solya and too late to try to get the rest that eludes me—shit. Looks like its time to get up and shower. Maybe a couple Red Bulls'll keep me together. Then again, the way my mind is racing, I probably ain't sleeping till this evening. Maybe I'll call Sol in a bit and see if we can play some hoops today and have some more Chinese. Oh well, we'll see.'
 
With a stretch to and a long yawn, Jerrod made his way to the shower and decided that today, no matter how dark the thoughts he tried to deter and dismiss abounded, it would be a good day.
 
“Okay, PB's back, Sol. And everything's fine,” he decided with a determined smile and proceeded with his day.
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
With a hearty yawn and stretch—and thorough scratching of areas best tended to in private—Solya Deja Amarante started her day.
 
`Wednesday already, huh?'
 
With a smile she didn't realize she instantly sported whenever she thought about Jesse, she recalled the last two days. Jesse was fast becoming a fun way to spend her free time and was rather relentless in his flirtatious teases and invitations to the cook out that was—
 
`Oh shit—today! That young man certainly needs a hobby…ah well, if my schedule's clear, I can maybe be convinced to stick my head in and say “Hey”. Besides, it'll be nice to not have to cook for once.'
 
As she shuffled into the shower, singing a song off-key and adlibbed to death but worked for her, she let her mind drift to past and future events. Things like who'd most likely win which prizes at the Spades party; her last hilarious conversation with Jaz where she tried to convince Solya she was starting to like Jesse—complete poppycock, if you asked Solya, being as how they'd only been talking for five days now; and the newest reason to chuckle, her father's insistence that she rematch him to a game of B-ball.
 
“`I won't accept any more ties—now, it's personal,'” Solya laughed around a mouth of toothpaste foam mimicking her father's declaration in a Dirty Harry voice. `Papi, you are just too young for you own good.'
 
After a quick spit and a few gargles, her daily hygiene regimen out of the way, Solya decided to watch some cable. No sooner was she seated than the phone rang.
 
`Hmmm…private number at 9:47 am? Isn't too early…I guess…but, what's up with the anonymous wake up call? Please, don't let it be a telemarketer!' Solya mulled over before answering, “Amarante Residence, Sol—” she paused to yawn, “Sorry, Solya speaking. May I help you?”
 
“Yes, you may Bum—”
 
“Don't you call me Bumper Car, Juan! That nick is way too oldschool.” Solya warned.
 
“Okay, okay,” Juan relented, “I'll be good.”
 
“Promise?”
 
“Well, I didn't say all that—I'll…try.”
 
“Juan Salzedo, whatcha want?” Solya moaned.
 
“Dude, it's been about two months since I heard your voice and picked with you till you wanted to pull me into a Half Nelson and slam me head first into the Inner Harbor. Give me a sec to get accustomed to you voice again before you start whispering sweet nothings in my ear,” Juan dragged on quickly in one breath.
 
“How you do that and not pass out is beyond my comprehension. You should listen to what you say sometimes. You still speak in contradictions.”
 
“Gimme a break, Solya. I haven't even had my third cup of Joe, yet,” Juan whined.
 
“Yeah, alright. I know you need your fix. So, what's up? Missed me, bored as hell, or you finally decide to take a scheduled break from `The Love Train'?”
 
“Of course I missed you, Sol! You're the life of the party! Sorry I missed the last one, by the way—heard it was like a mini reunion. Damn. Oh well, at least there's Josie's card party. Me and Melanie are coming.”
 
That's `Melanie and I', Nimrod,” Solya corrected, “So, this is the woman who's attempting to make an honest man out of you, huh?”
 
“Watch it, Sol. Love's a beautiful thing…” at the exaggerated gagging sounds on the other end, Juan sighed in frustration and dredged further, “Solya, it is—one day, you'll see. Melanie…she…makes me feel brand new—don't you dare comment. Not. A. Word.”
 
Choosing to hold the rejoinder—for now, anyway—Solya decided to let him have his little mushy rant before she replied in kind on the `Woes of Amor'.
 
“Solya, you've just gotta meet her. She's really cool; as much of a lady as she's is, she's pretty in tune with her more masculine side, as well. Did you know that she can pin me down in a move I can't even wiggle out of? I laugh my ass off every time I imagine you two going at it; if you did, I honestly wouldn't know who to wager a bet on. That would be EPIC! But, other than that, she makes me forget all the crap that stresses me out or at least helps me not dwell on it so much. Sometimes, just chatting with her on the phone is enough to take the tension out of my day and…”
 
`Wow, sounds kinds like what Jerrod told me before…and kinda reminds me of Jesse. Oh, hell no—none of that! See what listening to Juan does to you brain, Sol? It turns it to mush!' Solya internalized, stunned to feel the heat siphon up her cheeks and down her neck, `Oh, hell! This is getting redundant!'
 
“…and she can't wait to meet you, either, Sol. So, in unrelated news, how's Jerrod?”
 
“How should I know? I'm not his keeper. Why don't you call him and find out?” Solya grumbled.
 
“Ouch. My goodness, hon. You two okay?” Juan asked cautiously.
 
“Sorry. That was wrong of me. I dunno, Juan. He's just…different, lately. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. And you know my motto, Juan.”
 
“Oh, don't I ever; I'm still feeling for poor Montez.”
 
Why? Dude had it coming, pissing me off when he knew I was already, err, entertaining my Aunt Flo.”
 
“D'Ah, say no more. Melanie can be damn near angelic, but catch her wrong during that part of the month and things can get scary quick. Still that motto of yours is a bit…a little, uh, um…”
 
“A little drastic? Pfft! I figure like this, a real friend or bud would know what sets me off and would get it enough to not push my buttons needlessly. Simply put, if you get me, you get me and if you accept what comes with the package, you don't try to doctor it later on in the game. Nuff said.”
 
“Okay, well what'd Jerrod do?”
 
“He got all overbearing on me and he keeps checking up on me like I'm some witless moron. Juan, it's like he doesn't trust me to make my own decisions and that pisses me off something fierce!”
 
“Why're you so upset, Sol? I think he's just trying to look out for you. He has been doing that for you for nearly a decade, now. He really cares about you.”
 
“I…shit. I know that, Juan. It's just…”
 
“You not feeling the switch in his personality, are you? I'm telling you, Sol, he's been like that forever. There must've been a good reason for him stepping up the game.”
 
“Josie's got a wild theory, man.”
 
“Oh my… Miss Soap Opera Digest? Okay, I'll bite. What'd she say?”
 
“Jerrod's jealous,” Solya laugher boisterously, but sobered soon enough at the silence on the other end, “Um…Juan?”
 
“Well, in a way, she may have a valid point, Sol.”
 
“Oh hell—not you, too!” Solya grumbled in frustration.
 
“Hear me out?”
 
“Alright, Juan—enlighten me,” Solya sighed.
 
“Well, think about it. Before Jer was old or mature enough to have any interest in the opposite sex, Jerrod had you, was always with you and always, always kept serious tabs on you. Think back to when you met Crazy, Sol. Ever notice how stiff he got when Larry got any alone time with you—friendly though it may have been?”
 
“Uh…huh?”
 
“Oh. Maybe you didn't. Well, he's always been extremely protective of you; for your feelings, your peace of mind and your safety.”
 
“Well…yeah…”
 
“So, considering how he met you to start, how is it you don't get why he nearly growled every time Larry got near ya? I think it's fairly obvious.”
 
“Sorry to be so obtuse, Juan, but I don't.”
 
Juan sighed. “He doesn't want anyone to hurt you—period. And letting new people into your life, well, he felt he had to approve. I know it sounds kinda…um, kinda…”
 
Bossy?” Solya offered sarcastically
 
“I was thinking more dogmatic, Solya. Damn, even that sounds bad. Well, little boys can be that way. They're not generally equipped with the right words and actions to convey their feelings so they just…act.”
 
“Okay, but you said little boys, Juan—Jerrod's a man, now. So, what's the deal now?”
 
“Old habits die hard?”
 
Solya imitated a game show buzzer. “Hmmm, try again.”
 
“That, in a nutshell, is it, Sols. He cares about you…he loves you—don't cut me off, Sol! I can feel it coming, so just don't. Maybe nobody ever told you about these things. I mean, you were pretty young when your mom was gone and maybe you never got all those `becoming a woman' talks.”
 
“D did some of that.”
 
“I'm sure. Anyway, I said he loves you not he's in love with you—huge difference there. So, don't go cutting my head off. When it comes to Jerrod seeing you befriend or possibly falling for another guy, expect him to get…um…”
 
“Clingy, possessive, totalitarianistic, condescending—need I go on?”
“Wow.  What a way to put it.  I guess he has been pushing your buttons a bit.”
“Hell yeah.”
“He's…concerned I'd gather.  Sol, we all know you.  We get the `you' you are and the `you' you don't delve into much—the female in you or more your soft side; and you do have one.  You've never had a guy bud outside of the crew and all of us, not just Jerrod, are at least curious, if not slightly fastidious over how you'll handle things.”
“So, a lack of trust from everyone, huh?  Well, that…kinda sucks.”
“No, trust isn't the issue—know that.  We just don't want you to be hurt in any way.  And, as much as you seem to think otherwise, it can happen.  You've been through so much—that we all are still amazed you overcame, by the way—and we just kinda can't help it, Sol.  We all want to keep you safe.  But Jer, being the `base of operations' as I like to call him, will always be the first to action.  And that's mainly because you generally come to him for everything.”
“It makes me feel so weak when folks do that to me, Juan…baby me. Haven't I grown, changed, lived and learned enough for all of you guys to give me some credit? Is that too much to hope for?”
“You're not weak. I don't think that and I doubt very seriously that any of the other guys think so, either. It's just—”
“No, Juan. It's not the same as when I was a little kid. I can't live life in a bubble, yanno. I want—need—to experience things in life. I can't let my past dictate my future…and I can't allow others to do that either. But, I'm glad you said all that you did, Juan. I think you've given me lots of food for thought. I'm still not at all happy about Jer's `new attitude', but I get it a little better. So thanks, man.”
 
“No big—that's what friends do.”
 
“Analyze other friends?”
 
“No. Girl, you're silly. Real friends look out for you, advise—even on the tough topics—and have your back through all the residual drama.”
 
“GAWD! Another Dr. Phil,” Solya laughed
 
“Shit. Shorty is paid! Why not?” Juan laughed back.
 
Solya soon sobered and waited for Juan's laughter to end. Steeling herself for the next question running around in her head, she charged in bluntly.
 
“Do you think its okay for me to…open up? I mean the way I took what you said earlier, all you guys are kinda monitoring me. So, do you think I'm `okay' enough to…pursue…um, well, all the `girly stuff'?”
 
“That covers quite a wide range, Deja…”
 
“Okay, I mean like dating—continuously—and all the stuff people do when they're getting to know each other.”
 
“Pardon me if I sound offensive, but do you even know what said `stuff' is?”
 
“Um, like…how-women-act-with-men-and-kissing-and-talking-about-things-and- sex-and—”
 
“Ho-ho-ho-hold up! Sex? Sol, don't give me an aneurism here! Sex?! ¡¡Ai Dios mio!!” Juan panicked as he dotted a cross over his chest.
 
“It was just a thought, Juan! GAWD, I'm not ready for that at all! Well not yet, anyway. Just, well, I've thought about it once or twice over the years is all,” Solya blurted placatingly realizing she'd just about freaked out one of her more patronal of her male buddies and hoping to stave off any repercussional preaching.
 
“All I can say is we're here when and if you ever get to that stage. As a—”
 
“If?!” Solya interjected, balking at what she percieved was an implied slight.
 
“—matter of fact, I'm begging you, after the obvious—you Dad and Denise—talk to at least one of us who've been involved in those things,” Juan continued unperturbed, “That way, you get the practical as well as the play-by-play and the Dos and Don'ts. Then again—”
 
“I can't believe he said `If',” Solya huffed under her breath
 
“—knowing Josie and Jazmin, a couple good laughs, too,” Juan once again finalized without coming up for air.
 
“Okay, that's fine for future knowledge, but I mean now. Honestly, and I can take the truth, do you think I'm ready now?”
 
Clearing his throat and trying to find the most tactical way of expressing his concerns, Juan drew a blank. In his mind, it was an immediate no. He didn't trust that after less than a year of therapy, she'd have all the components necessary to engage in a personal relationship, not to mention one with possible implications of intimacy. She was in many ways, too fragile to him, still. He'd closely observed her, when she'd come back to school after her prolonged absence, at how overly bright she came off as she tried her best to feign a `cured' status. In her quest to regain normalcy, she fell short of her expectations and was more than obvious to all her friends as being frightened of going backwards and being the weaker of the group—her proud nature just wouldn't let her relent. So, they let her be, feeling it was best to help her get on with life to just let her believe that she was indeed freed of the ghosts that haunted her. As she grew and matured, some had tried to break her out of that mindset to no avail; she'd either react in offense, pulling away from those only wanting what's best for her, or abruptly, and quite obviously, change the subject which they usually went along with as to not agitate her into a never-ending argument. In the end, they left it in the hands of the ones who knew her best; her parents, Jerrod and Jazmin knowing if anyone could get through to her, one or all of them could.
 
`I guess that's what therapy's for. I mean, her stepmom is a shrink so if in those years she didn't do anything to change Solya, who're we to try to?'
 
“Your silence is deafening, J,” Solya sighed.
 
“I…don't know. Honestly, that's the best answer I can give you, unfortunately. You caught me off guard with that one, Solya. Can't believe it, actually…”
 
“Well, I always was smarter than you,” Solya bragged unabashedly.
 
“Yeah, sure, Sol; and of course so much more obsequious than I could ever be,” Juan droned half-heartedly.
 
“True, true…ooh, nice `big word', by the way.”
 
“Thankies, M'Lady. So, can I get back to you on this? I'm rather befuddled right now, with caffeine deficiency and all.”
 
“Okay, I'll let you slide—this time. You can get back to me. And, Juan, be descriptive when you do that, `kay? Your oral dissertations are always so very entertaining!”
 
“Thanks…butt nugget!”
 
“No problemo…helmet head!”
 
“Saddlebag!”
 
“Fugly Mugly!”
 
“Hey, that's just fighting dirty! Booger face!”
 
“Oh no he did not just go 6th grade on me—Booger Face? Ugh, Juan! I win by default.”
 
“Yeah, whatev, woman…kick rocks.”
 
“And catch `em.”
 
“Where the hell do you get these endings to my best insults?”
 
“Papi.”
 
“Um…yeah. Anyway, promise me something?”
 
“Shit, I wasn't born yesterday, yanno. Terms of agreement first, chico.”
 
“Fair enough; I want you to promise you'll cut Jerrod some slack and you won't kick him to the curb if he gets a little `bodyguard' on you? At least until you guys talk thinks out?”
 
“'Promise' is a big word for me…I'm not sure I can add that word to your request, Juan. I can…try.”
 
“I guess that's the best I can hope for.”
 
“Then, yeah. Sure,” Solya agreed somewhat distractedly. Juan caught on quickly enough.
 
“That anime stuff's on, ain't it?”
 
“Oh…yeah…sorry, Juan,” Solya apologized, embarrassed at being caught and caught off guard. `So much for multi-tasking…'
 
“Go'n, git! We'll holla later.”
 
“Yeah, I'll see ya at the Party; can't wait to meet Melanie!”
 
“Man, that's gonna be cool. Alright, I'm out—have a groovy day, Sol.”
 
“You too, Shaggy,” Solya ended still absently and was soon caught up in TV viewing until the `off the hook' tone beeped loudly in her ear, “Owww.”
 
Hanging up the phone, she got comfortable and was soon in awe of the `back in the day' anime special displayed for her. `Aw yeah! Robot Boy is the shiznit!”
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>  
 
 
 
Still shaking her head at the last minute change in plans, Solya wasn't sure whether to be annoyed or relieved.
 
“But, I don't feel like cooking tonight!” she whined, stomping like a petulant child.
 
Jesse had called about an hour after the mini anime fest she was enraptured with ended. He'd just found out Tuesday night that the cookout was rescheduled for Friday, but seeing as how late the news came to him, he didn't want to disturb her then, and chose to call today. Solya ended up talking, joking and dodging his flirtatious offers to entertain her for the evening via a movie and dinner on his mini grill at his house, as this was still, in her mind, a little too much too fast.
 
In the back of her mind, she was still slightly reeling at the fact that this really cute guy was so interested in talking to her and wanting to be in her company. Her, of all people; to say it was a little daunting was a serious understatement. Never one to call herself `beautiful', `sexy', or even `pretty', she didn't think she was roadkill, either. Still, the compliments—more so her unfamiliarity with them—unsettled her and kept her clinging to empty platitiudes and neutral or `just one of the guys' rejoinders to stave off the more uncomfortable topics. Being in a groups of peers, meeting a new person was one thing; even the cook out seemed generally okay, even though she knew she'd not know anyone there other than Jesse… The phone conversations were challenging at times, though. Solya relished a good challenge and was reluctant to admit when she was over her head, so she kept at it and found aversion and general questions to be good fillers and was therefore able to dodge Jesse's more `playful' nature with minimal effort. She knew she could handle him in public gatherings.
 
Still, the change in plans threw her off a bit…
 
“No free grub. Shoot. Then again, all my dressy clothes are in the hamper…all two outfits. Crap, I think I'll just eat a bowl of cereal and some grapes. No, cherries!
 
“Papi won't mind—he loves me,” Solya reasoned, going for the `forbidden fruit' in hopes her father would be lenient of her trespass. There were few things Lamar Sado Amarante spared his beloved daughter in life: his remote, his Dallas Cowboys caps, and his cherries. “…I hope. Maybe if I tell him I needed some for a smoothie? That may work.”
 
As she raided the fridge for fruit and yogurt, she came across a Orange Dream Cake and almost salivated.
 
“Must…resist…temptation. Must…resist…temptation. Must resis—aw hell, I'm craving, here!”
 
Deciding, for the 4th time that week to a forego healthy meal for `one little indulgence', she quickly sliced a rather hearty piece of cake, poured a cup of 1% milk and grabbed seven cherries. Solya was many things, that included ocasionally sneaky—but not crazy.
 
As she hurriedly scarfed her `brunch', she felt a twinge of guilt. Jerrod had been her #1 supporter since she endeavored to get fit and trim. He'd agreed to keep it real with her when she fell off the wagon and help her correct all trangressions, which usually meant lots of enjoyable outdoor activities designed to look fun while actually being his version of cram exercising. Solya cringed in the middle of a bite of cake.
 
`Jer's gonna put me through the wringer when I tell him how much I've been cheating. Then again, I have been skipping meals, so this should even out…I hope. Though I gave him permission to let me have it when needed, I really don't want to hear `I told you so'—especially from him, right about now.'
 
If she had to be honest, she was still kinda miffed about how he'd reacted on Sunday. Well, maybe miffed is the wrong word.
 
`I just don't really know what to say to him, yet. I'll call him in a couple days…'
 
 
And, a couple of days it was… Friday, to be exact.
 
 
In those days, there was a lot of staring at the phone and near-calls. Since Solya's father set up her Notebook, she'd been online more than ever and though she saw his username pop up often enough, she just never got the urge to start a conversation. After that first awkward day, she decided to sign on as `invisible' and only sent IMs to ones she knew didn't know Jerrod. After scattered calls from her friends—way more than usual—calling to check up on her and see how things were going with Jerrod, she was officially convinced that she was in the midst of a very frustrating conspiracy. It was irritating her that everyone—people with her and Jerrod's number, mind you—chose to call her and check up on the man. Were they all that nosey or was she just that interesting, all of the sudden. She found herself getting more comfortable throwing herself into her art and writing and really only talked to Jesse, as he wasn't privy to any personal information she didn't deign to tell him and was, therefore, easier to talk to and relax with.
 
Friday came sooner than it ever had, she felt, and she really wasn't in the mood to be `shrunk' as usual. True, she pretty much loved seeing Dr. Busch; as a therapist, she sure didn't scare her like the past ones had. Their relationship was professional/friendly in their interactions and, while she could appreciate that usually, at the moment, after a week of being `shrunk' by practically all her friends, she was just…done. For once, she really didn't want to go, but as not to raise any suspicions or concerns with her father and stepmother, she went anyway.
 
It was a very…`to the point' session.
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>  
 
 
 
Thirty minutes into the session, Solya was antsy and Dr. Busch was slightly concerned. They'd had a small amount of witty banter that started as usual but felt more strained and stretched out towards the end. Solya tried as many tactics as she could to divert attention from the past week. She did make a poem in the journal Dr. Busch gave her about how she felt her life was changing and felt that was a safe enough topic to delve into. Their discussion veered of on prose, inspiration, motivation for about 10 minutes until Dr. Busch tried again to get some information out of her about her week. Solya got more and more quiet and her therapist silently made notes, one in particular about possibly having a parent conference, not liking the almost sullen and sheltered air she noticed around Solya.
 
“To be honest,” Dr. Busch after a three minute silence where Solya nervously bit her nail down until she nearly started to bite the flesh of her finger, “Your answers seem a bit…clipped.”
 
“I…I'm…s-sorry, Doc. I guess I'm not a big talker today. I thought I gave you the answers you needed,” Solya muttered around her thumb.
 
“Okay, first, stop nibbling you digits before you start bleeding. Second, honestly, how are you?” Dr. Busch tried again, hoping to get more concrete answers out of Solya than `It was fine', `Okay', and `Just another week, I guess'.
 
With one last bite to her thumbnail and yet another glance to the session timer, `Twelve more minutes—yes!' Solya sighed defeated like and shrugged. “What do you want me to say? I can't say much different happened this week than last week, Doc.” `Not without a plethora of questions in hopes of gaining answers I don't know how to begin to form.'
 
Catching Solya's eyes drifting to the timer, Dr. Busch had a light bulb moment. `She's…pulling away. This doesn't look promising because this is one of the core goals to overcome by her Psychiatrist and parents to be dealt with—her tendency to isolate.
 
“I'll make it simple. Saturday, hung out with a bud, played some hoops, and spent the night; Sunday, hung out with my father all day, had a nice time, got some early birthday gifts; Monday, chatted online, tweaked song songs, had a turkey and Provolone on Rye, French Onion Sun Chips and an apple Snapple Tuesday, pretty much the same and I cleaned up a bit, ate leftover spaghetti for breakfast lunch and dinner; Wednesday, sat around contemplating the universe…or something like that, tickled my taste buds; Thursday, had a basketball competition 1-on-1 thingy with my father—cleaned his clock, downloaded some music, had three balanced meals; Friday, woke up, watched anime, ran through two Tae Bo Tapes, had a light brunch, chatted online, came here. Tada,” Solya summarized in monotone with a bland expression, eyes drifting back to the timer once more. `Ten more minutes…come on, come one, come on!'
 
`Ah, I see. She's stalling. Wonder what I'm missing because something is definitely there.' Dr. Busch surmised. “Okay, then let's have a brief review. How's your weight loss and journaling going?”
 
“Fine. I lost three pounds this week. I'm still logging stuff. I play a lot of basketball.”
 
“Okay, last session we were talking about your wanting to be happy. Have you pursued this goal and if so, please elaborate.”
 
“I think that was just a thought from the dusty recesses of my mind, Doc; haven't thought much on it since then.”
 
“With all due respect, Solya, any conversation that is deep enough to promote tears and a minor anxiety attack is something I'd not be so ready to dismiss.”
 
“What can I say, Doc? I get emotional, sometimes,” Solya threw out lightly—just a bit too lightly in her therapist's eyes.
 
“Okay, we can touch on that another time. There was also talk about a possible date of which you never gave me a date. Has that already come to pass?” Dr. Busch asked lightly and noted a slight flinch in Solya's shoulders. `Bingo! Now, we're getting somewhere.'
 
“Um, I would…rather not…say. Not right now. Excuse me, Doc. Nature calls and has been calling for a while now. Be right back,” with one last look at the clock, Solya noted four minutes left in the session and figured a quick restroom break would kill the rest of the time.
 
“I doubt there will be any more session time left then. Let's just call this one finished. I'll see you same time next week, Ms. Amarante?”
 
“Yes ma'am,” Solya returned as she walked out the office.
 
`I think I may need to contact the parents…but, I also want to give her the benefit of the doubt. Hmmm, maybe one more session,' Dr. Busch decided as she watched the door close behind her patient.
 
 
 
<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> (>^^<) <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>
 
 
 
`Phew! It's over! Now, it's time for a couple beers, a little dancing, and a dinner I'm not cooking. This is the life.' Solya breathed mentally as she flushed the toilet. As she washed her hands, she thought about the week she'd just had and all that had happened in such a short time. It was amazing to her that so much could change that soon and she had a sudden thought of Jerrod.
 
`Whoa, I haven't talked to my best friend in 5 days. What's the matter with me?'
 
As she dug through her bag for her cell, she couldn't help but smile at all the sessions she'd had in the past where he'd be there to greet her at the end and make her laugh till she hurt.
 
`This would be a great day for that. Wonder what he's up to, today. It's been a while since we did anything together. I've got to get back at him soon, Solya determined. So into her inner prospecting, she and nearly tripped when Jerrod crossed her line of vision.
 
“Oh, shit…” Solya whispered startled.
 
“Solya,” Jerrod breathed.
 
“P-PB…hey…” Solya stammered and clamped her hand over her stomach at the lurching sensation that hit her in the gut.
“Hey…long time no see, Sols.”
“Yeah…h-how are you?  What're you up to?  What brings you here?”
Looking temporarily hurt, Jerrod frowned.  `What am I doing here?  I always meet Sol after her sessions.  What's happened to us over the last week?'
“Um, Jer, you're making me nervous.  Why're staring at me like that?” Solya laughed shakily, unnerved by the way Jerrod's eyes probed hers.
Mentally shaking himself, he snapped back to life with a smile.  “I'm well and I came to see if you'd like to play some hoops.  It's, um, been a while, huh?”
“Yeah.  A couple days,” Solya agreed skittishly, “But I'll have to raincheck that, PB.  Maybe another time?”
`Raincheck?' Jerrod looked stunned but recovered quickly.  “Oh...oh, okay then.  Um, maybe later?” he offered and turned to leave.  A hand to his forearm stopped him.
“Don't go?” Solya breathed after she took a good look at her best friend for the first time in nearly a week. `How can I miss a person so much that I see every day? Well, usually every day.'
“Okay, I'll stay.”
Relieved, Solya wrapped Jerrod in a tight 3-second hug and, seeing his surprised expression and realizing what she did, she flushed and went for the norm to cover her embarrassment. She punched him in the arm—hard.
Jerrod hissed and rubbed his arm, scowling playfully at Solya. “You still hit like a girl…on steroids. Damn, Sol, I need that arm, yanno.”
“You'll live.”
“Yeah…” `Why does this feel so…weird?' Jerrod thought as he took in the strained air of their conversation.
“Yeah…”
 
“So, I'm not trouncing you today?” Jerrod tried again, hoping to bait Solya into a mini debate on `skills in the art of b'ball'. She didn't take the bait and almost looked…guilty?
 
“It's just…I got invited to this cook out for Wednesday, but the date got changed last minute…and…”
 
Jerrod suddenly recalled being invited to a cookout tonight by a couple of the guys and wondered if it was by any chance the same one. `Nah…it's a small world, but not that small. Way too unlikely.' Realizing Solya hadn't finished her sentence, he slowly blew out a breath and gave her a look that plainly stated `Go on…'.
 
“…and…I hadn't heard from you in a while and…well, since I didn't, I didn't think you'd be here, so…”
 
Jerrod raised an eyebrow and gave her a small smile as to say it was okay, but it didn't reach his eyes and she noticed that instantly.
 
“…so…um, yeah, I guess I'll see you later? Um…tomorrow! I'll come over your house after the cookout and stay over? I should be there by 1 am. Is that cool?” Solya offered, feeling unaccountably flustered and oddly anxious all of the sudden.
 
Jerrod took her reluctant tone into consideration. `She does look like she feels guilty. Why?' “You know what? I think that sounds like a winner. Besides, you owe me a rematch, cheater.”
 
“When did I cheat?”
 
“Mike Tyson Punchout, last Sunday; ring a bell?”
 
“Dunno what you're talking about, Jerrod Antony Domingo…”
 
“Mmm hmm, we'll see.”
 
“It's on! Don't come snot crying when I beat you senseless. And no bumping into to me when I'm winning, either!” Solya declared, all nervousness gone
 
“Whatev, chica. I'll see you then.”
 
“It's a date…err, rematch.”
 
“Yeah. Sol?”
“Yeah?”
 
“I, uh, missed you. A lot.”
 
“Yeah…missed you, too. A tad,” Solya teased.
 
“And that gunger wit…smell that sarcasm.”
 
“Speaking of smell, I can practically smell corn on the cob and barbeque chicken. See you in the morning, alright?”
 
“Sure,” Jerrod smiled as the both made their way out of the office lobby. And this time, his smile reached his eyes.
 
 
A/N: B-dea, b-dea, b-dea…that's all folks! For now! No mean emails about this being the shortest, stupidest fiction ever…Chapter 8 is coming ASAP. So Sorry for the delay to my 7 fans out there. Life and health both took a toll on me. But, I'm back now! Yay!