Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Kasumi's Vow ( Chapter 78 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 Meanwhile, Kasumi came to a resolution. Ryuji turned when he felt her squeezing his hand.

 

"Is something wrong?" he whispered.

"This has got to stop," she said in a quiet voice. The boy gave her a confused look.

"What are you talking about?" he asked. Kasumi lifted her chin.

"I have to let him go," she said. Her mind began to wander off to Karasu. She had been going about this the wrong way. Part of her still wanted to save him. But she couldn't do that anymore, now could she? Kasumi refused to see that he was too far gone. What brought reality about? She couldn't be certain. Somehow, that didn't matter anymore.

"I..." she began to say. Kasumi looked behind her. The other girls didn't seem to be paying attention to them.

"What?" Ryuji asked.

"I was in love with him," she confessed.

"I think you told me this," Ryuji said, narrowing his eyes. Kasumi put her free hand to her chest.

"I think I was still in love with him," she said. The boy's heart sank.

"Oh..." he said. She should've stopped there. Stop before she ended up hurting him. But this had to come out.

"I don't know what it was with me," she said. "I guess... I guess that I thought I could still save him. If that makes any sense." Her mind trailed back to the night her beloved betrayed her uncle. Even then, she still loved him. She hoped that she could get the sword back and get him to come home. As a result, it turned into an endless cycle. Only Kasumi never saw it. She was just there to try and save the man she once loved. However, did he still love her? Had he ever loved her? There were still so many things that she had to ask.

No! She couldn't go back on her resolve.

"Do you want to save him or kill him?" Ryuji asked. She quickly turned her head. He stared at her. She couldn't tell what he was feeling just by looking at her. Did he feel disappointed? Maybe he felt pity for her turmoil. He wanted to be on her side.

"I've got no choice," Kasumi admitted. "This has to end. We've dragged this on long enough." Ryuji tightened his grip on hers.

"Then let me help you," he said. She looked up at him, silent. It would be easy to turn him away, to say no. She had been doing this alone all this time. But that was the problem. Maybe... Maybe it was time to ask for help. But she didn't want him and the others to die. But what choice did she have?

"He's not an easy opponent," Kasumi said in a low voice.

"I don't care. Let me help you," he said.

"But why?" she asked. His face turned bright red.

"Because I love you!" he blurted out. The girls behind them froze. Kasumi looked stunned for a moment.

"But why?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" the boy asked.

"You don't even know me," Kasumi said. "How can do you say that?" Ryuji reached over and grabbed her other hand.

"Please!" he blurted out. "Just give me a chance and let me prove myself to you!" Kasumi shook her head.

"Don't do that," she said.

"But..." Ryuji said. The woman held up her hand.

"However, I will let you help me," she said. Ryuji quickly bowed his head.

"Thank you," he said. He kissed her on the hand.

"Hey, what are you guys talking about up there?" Haruko asked. Her brother looked over his shoulder.

"Oh, nothing," he said. Kasumi didn't correct him. She could rest in the knowledge that she knew what she needed to do. The only problem she had left was time. Time for ending things with Kasaru and time for finding the Cove. And both were running out.

Chapter Seventy-Nine: Kasumi's Vow: