Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Origin of the Sword ( Chapter 84 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Where did the sword come from? Kasumi's family didn't have an answer. They have been guarding it for many years. Nobody knows where it came from or who made it. That sword has been many places. The Umaki sword, as it came to be called, has been in the family for decades, maybe even longer. Everyone in the family has heard the stories. No one has an idea of how strong it really is. What are the real details surrounding the powerful sword.

The sword has been around longer than the Meiji Era. Some say it was during the samurai era. A craftsman fashioned it for war. The blade is hungry for blood but it never seems to get full. That sword has been through many hands. Samurai, warlords, soldiers, and many more. Nothing can beat such a beautiful weapon. However, the Umaki Sword is cursed.

But first, we have to go back a little bit.

The sword was made of our purest steel. There are many rumors of how the sword first came to be. The most common one is a young samurai-in-training went to a swordsmith to make a powerful sword for his master. The details are rather hazy. The youth got his hand on the sword and began possessed by it. He wound up killing his lord. Since then, that sword went everywhere all over the country. It soon wound up in the hands of Kasumi's family.

On the surface, it looks like a normal sword. But there's something... beautiful about it. The Umaki Sword was crafted with such skilled hands. There's something strange about it, however. For starters, the sword has looked like it has never aged a day. From the hilt to the point, the crafted blade looked like it was glowing. Some think that they can hear the sword singing. However, such beauty is hiding something sinister.

The Umaki Sword gave off some a dark energy. Rumor had it that the craftsman had cursed the blade. Whoever wields the sword will be consumed with the lust for power. So much so, that they end up killing everyone and everything around them. There's so much blood and corpses in its wake. Still, so many want this sword. They want to be the strongest warrior in the world. The wielder will feel power but it will come at a high cost. Their end either comes it betrayal, death, or both. And still, the sword remains.

Why hasn't the sword been destroyed? It can't. There have been many ways to fix the problem. Priests have tried to bless it and exorcise it. Some people have tried to destroy it. A few tried to throw it away. However, the sword remains. There's something inside of it. One priest said that the sword was born from evil. He claimed to hear screaming coming from inside the blade. It was said that he ended up deaf because of it. Everyone the sword has touched has changed them in some way. However, there is one family who has been able to resist.

There is no explanation of how or why the Umaki family hasn't succumbed to the curse. They can't even explain it themselves. Because of their ability to resist the curse, they have been able to keep the sword safe for generations. The sword was kept in a box in the family shrine. This was how it had been going for many centuries. However, something went horribly wrong. Kasumi's uncle was supposed to give her the sword. But he thought that women shouldn't be fighters. Because of this, he wound up killed and the sword was stolen. Originally, it was supposed to be Kasumi's parents' turn to look after the sword. But they ended up dying when the girl was really young. So now, the situation has gone way off course.

The good news is all is not lost. There is still a chance to turn things around. However, something has to be done fast. Karasu might not have much longer to live. The curse will claim another victim if nothing is done.

Kasumi knows what she needs to do.

Chapter Eighty-Five: Origin of the Sword: