Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of a Killer ❯ Chapter Nineteen ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Constance pulled back. She moved off him and walked to the bathroom, slamming the door and locking it. She slid down the door and sat down holding her body and closing her eyes tight. She could see her father screaming at her and yelling at her. Suddenly, his hands were on her, pawing and pulling at her clothes while she fought. Constance began to cry and she covered herself the best she could even though no one was around to see her on the bathroom floor. In her head, her father was already on top of her with that evil smile and the lingering smell of smoke on his breath. He was heavy and she felt helpless.

Her body shook violently as she saw her mother in the doorway doing nothing any saying nothing. Constance reached for her but she turned her back away and left. Constance screamed out but no one heard. She was all alone and he was so much bigger than her. He was just so much stronger.

Ian muttered a curse as she got up and hurried to the bathroom. Great, now he'd upset her. After zipping his pants back up, he grabbed her tube top and walked to the bathroom door. "Constance...hey, I'm sorry if I upset. I just don't think that yo- I don't that we're ready to do anything like that."

Constance covered her mouth as she heard Ian. Was it really him? In her mind, she could feel the door being pounded on and her father yelling at her to get out before he came in. She could see herself in the corner huddled and crying while trying to wash off the blood stains from his night raid. She wasn't fast enough, the door swung open and there he was, belt in hand and mean look glaring at her small body.

"No..." Constance whispered as he pulled back and swung, the belt connecting to her vision of her small self. "No! Don't!" she screamed.

In the back ground her phone began ringing.

Constance covered her mouth again as her father stopped and her little body laid lifeless on the ground. He grabbed her arm violently and she knew what would come next. Her clothes would disappear and she would be broken all over again. Constance placed her hands over her ears and screamed over and over on the floor while her phone rang.

"Constance? Constance can you hear me?" Ian heard her phone ringing, undoubtedly Daniel.... Pressing his shoulder against the door, he knew that this was going to hurt. "Constance, get away from the door." Bracing himself, he slammed into the door. Hissing in pain due to the fact that he used his bad shoulder like an idiot. "Constance?"

Constance moved to the sink and grabbed the gun. She grabbed a towel and wrapped it around herself while pointing the gun at the door. As Ian tried breaking it down, she could see her dad doing the same when she tried hiding from him. Shaking her head, she pulled the trigger, letting the gun go off over and over until the pounding stopped and the gun was empty.

Ian fell back after the first two shots. What was it with people trying to shoot him through doors? Luckily she'd missed him. He waited for the gun to empty before he kicked down what was left of the door and ran to her. Pulling the gun out of her hand he stared down at her. "Constance...snap out of it?" he told her. Suddenly he was feeling really light headed. Looking down at his chest, he realized it was covered in blood. That wasn't good. Falling to one knee he looked up at her.

"Damn...good shot," he muttered. He'd gotten hit after all. She deserved the tile of number one.

Daniel busted in the front door with a few men behind him. He didn't need to question where Constance was because after being there for only a second, Ian's body went flying out of the bathroom and landed on the ground at his feet. Daniel knelt down and inspected in a moment before the other men started carrying him out to the limo and started for the Epsilon building. Daniel walked towards the bathroom and looked in. Constance was huddled against the wall with a towel wrapped around her and her face drowned in tears. She was covered in Ian's blood and it was obvious she had opened her wound as well. The towel was soaked in blood.

"Constance?" Daniel said in a gentle voice. Her head snapped to him. "Do you know who I am?"

Just like the day he found her after killing her parents, Constance began screaming and crying while reaching for him. He walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her slowly. He lifted her in his arms.

"It's ok, you're safe now," he whispered to her.

To say that the boss was pissed was an understatement. In one fell swoop he'd probably just lost two assassins. They were still operating on Ian. Apparently he was listed as critical, but the doctor's said that he was a fighter so he'd probably pull through. Either way, he couldn't care less about that punk as much as he did about Constance. He had been sorely tempted to let them have Ian die on the operating table, but since Constance pulled the trigger, that might have ill affect on her performance.

Constance sat outside the operating room in a chair beside the door. Daniel had come out a few times to give her a review before going back in. She had insisted he be in there doing the job himself so she knew Ian would be ok. It had been nearly five hours since she had shot him and she felt terrible. It was all her fault. Daniel had gave her another shot to keep her sane and stitched her up once more before working on Ian with the others. Brian sat next to her, but was careful not to touch her. He didn't say a word to her, but having someone beside her made things a little easier. All the other assassins had cleared out of the building after hearing what had happened; even Ash seemed to be invisible.

Brian held out a juice box and Constance shook her head no. He legs were pulled tightly against her chest as she waited. Brian watched as small tears fell from her eyes but she made no sound.

The boss's image came on a screen in the operating room. "What's the status of the Phantom?" he asked. He wasn't quite certain if he wanted him dead or alive yet.

Daniel glanced at screen then continued to work. "He's fine. I was able to repair all damage. I'm just sewing him up and he can go to recovery." He glanced at the screen again. "Have you seen her? She's a mess. I can't stop her crying. And she hasn't spoken."

Brian offered the juice box again and Constance slapped it from his hand. Brian sighed and rubbed his hand then picked up the juice box.

"No, I haven't seen her yet, but I've heard the reports." The boss sighed. "When you get him into recovery I want to see both you and her. I want to figure out what the hell is going on. We can't keep having these slip ups."

Daniel only nodded. He left instructions for the other doctors to sew Ian up. He washed up and walked out. Constance stood with a worried look. His hand ran over her face to wipe her tears. She looked so innocent in her fuzzy slippers and Hello Kitty pajamas.

"He's all done. He'll be in recovery soon," Daniel said.

Brian nodded and waved before walking away for some sleep. Daniel took Constance hand and started towards the elevator for the boss's room. She said nothing, but looked over her shoulder at the doors Ian rested behind.

The boss was waiting for them when they came in. "Tell me Constance, what happened tonight. Why did you shoot Ian?"

Daniel pushed Constance forward. She looked broken and exactly like a little girl would look when she was in a lot of trouble. She moved forward and Daniel pulled a chair back for her. She sat with him standing right behind her. Slowly, her eyes met the boss.

"I saw my...I saw..." she swallowed. "I heard...and saw...he was there...."

Daniel stroked her hair. "You're father?"

Constance's hands made fists and her nails dug in her skin. Daniel sat in the chair next to her and rubbed her hands until they loosened. Slowly, her head nodded and she looked down.

"And just what exactly happened that made you see your father?" He knew the questions he was asking weren't the easy ones, but they were the ones that needed to be answered. He glanced at Daniel, knowing how sensitive his brother was when it came to her, he knew that this had to pain him. Oh well...business was business.

Constance tensed and Daniel rubbed her hands again to keep her calm and keep her from triggering again. She looked at Daniel with pleading eyes. "Don't make me say it..."

Daniel sighed. "He needs to know. He's your boss."

Constance looked down again and let the fresh tears hit both hers and Daniel's hands. "It wasn't his fault...he wanted to stop....he told me no..." She began to shake.

"Easy, it's ok," Daniel whispered to her.

She felt like she was in serious trouble. Like she was going to be punished severely. "We were..." She looked at Daniel. "You know...that..."

Daniel looked at the boss to see if that was enough of an answer.

"I see...." The boss said softly. So, Ian was proving to be more of a temptation then he had previously thought. "Very well then. I think it would be in everyone's best interest if for the time being Ian be relocated someplace else. If he is distracting Constance from her missions, putting both her mental and physical health at risk, and causing these flashbacks, then he will be better suited someplace else."

"No!" Constance yelled shooting up from her seat. "Don't take him from me!"

"Constance," Daniel said standing and rubbing her back.

She didn't bother with him. "Please! I'll do better! I promise! Don't send him somewhere else!" she begged the boss.

The boss just stared at her. "In his time being here your mission status has decreased. You've been injured. You've lost control. You've even begun questioning orders. So tell me, Constance, why should I keep him here if all he's doing is causing trouble?"

"Because..." Her heart was hurting bad. "Because I love him!" she screamed.

Daniel stepped back. He felt a lump in his throat. Constance had never admitted loving anyone, not Daisy and not him. He didn't know Constance was actually capable of falling in love with everything in her life, the drugs, the killing, and the past she had. He looked at his brother. If he was shocked, surely his bother would be as well. He barely knew Constance.

The boss's gaze never wavered. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. The Muse was incapable of love. She was just a child, there was no way she even knew what love was. "Tell me, Constance.... The people in your life that you care about the most. They seem to always have a way of dying before their time. If you do love him as you proclaim...are you willing to continue to put him in harm’s way?"

Constance glanced at Daniel. She let her hand go to her wound. "I took a bullet for him...I'll do it again...over and over...I'd die for him..." she said in a low voice.

Daniel's lips thinned. He had no idea what to say nor what to do. He had never seen her like this. A part of him wanted to say it was the drugs talking. She was kept on drugs to keep her sane, yet she seemed so unlike herself.

"And what about those times that you can't be there for him? Or those times that you're the one who's shooting him?" He could tell that his brother was dumbfounded at what he was hearing. He too was having a hard time believing it. It was for that reason that he was making sure that she realized just what she was getting into.

Constance thought a moment. "I'll kill anyone that hurts him...and...if I shoot him again..." She pushed at her wound opening it again and wincing. Her tears thickened and Daniel stepped forward but stopped when she held out her blood covered hand for him to leave her alone. "I'll punish myself until I learn never to do it again..."

Daniel looked at his brother then at Constance wound. She had stuck her fingers in the wound, breaking the skin more and making it fresh like the day she had got shot. She refused to apply pressure to it and let the blood seep out while she stared at the boss. Daniel could tell...she was forcing herself to suffer.

There was a moment of silence. The only real sound was the steady drip of her blood on the wooden floors. "You may keep your pet, Constance, but I am giving you a warning. If there should be any slip up from you. If you should lose yourself, if you should get injured, if you should fail an assassination I will personally see to it that the Phantom is sent back to England where he belongs."

Constance stood before him for a long moment before answering. "I can promise you that I won't slip up again, but I can't promise you I won't get injured if you send us to do a mission together." Her fist came down on the desk. "And he isn't my pet."

"Whatever you say, Constance." Nodding to Daniel he waved his hand. "Take her and get her stitched back up. I think we're through here."

Constance narrowed her eyes at him before Daniel started guiding her out the room. He placed his hand over her wound and applied pressure while they stood in the elevator. "You talked back to him. You raised you voice at him," Daniel stated.

"He was out of line...and he's a liar," she mumbled. "He's not my pet..."

"You really love him?" Daniel asked.

She looked up at him. "If I die, Daniel, I know it will be because I was protecting him."

"Don't talk like that. You don't sound like yourself," he said brushing her hair and smiled.

"I just shot Ian...I don't feel like myself." She started to cry again. "He will never forgive me."