Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of a Killer ❯ Chapter Thirty One ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Brian apologized to the lady and shut the door then followed Jack upstairs. Constance was still sleeping, her black curls streaming over the white pillow. Brian got on the bed across the room. "You'll have to sleep with her because I don't share my bed with anyone," he said and laid back.

Jack looked up and tried not to curse. Was he really making him do this now? Muttering something beneath his breath he set his bag down and gently eased himself onto the far side of the bed so he wouldn't disturb her.

"Don't worry. The medication will keep her out until it's time for us to leave," he said. "Like her black hair? I dyed it myself and put the extensions in. She looks good with long hair don't you think?"

Well...since she was out of it. Jack ran his fingers through her hair. "Yeah, she does look nice." He hated to admit it, but she did.

Brian laughed lightly. "Don't fill her up while she's out. That's just wrong," he teased. "We'll get woken in six hours." He rolled over and yawned.

"I wasn't doing that!" Jack snapped. Groaning, he didn't even feel like arguing. Rolling over on his side he curled up and let exhaustion take its toll on him. Sleep sounded heavenly right now.

Just as Brian had said, six hours later he was shaking Jack out of his sleep. He lightly brushed Constance cheek and she opened her eyes lazily. "We have to go. One more train ride to go until you see Daniel," he whispered.

Constance sat up and Brian grabbed her hat. He placed it on her hair and smiled. She yawned, her vision still slightly off from sleep.

Jack groaned, but slowly got up and grabbed his gear. The six hours felt more like six minutes, but at least he could sleep on the train. Now that he'd caught up with them he didn't have to worry about the files so he could relax and sleep. Reaching into his bag, he tossed a few pain pills in his mouth to help him through the next twelve hours which were sure to be a fun time.

Constance shot up from the bed when she felt it move slightly. Brian let her have her space as her eyes fell on Jack. She took a deep breath. Slowly, her hand reached out and touched his arm as his back was to her. Was she dreaming? Brian pushed her forward slightly and she stumbled towards Jack. She had no idea what to say. Why was he here? Why had he come? Was it really him? Tears started to fall from her eyes and she still hadn't seen his face.

Jack began to stretch until he felt her behind him. Turning his head to the side he looked back and gave her a tired smile. "Morning sunshine," he said with a smirk.

Constance covered her mouthing with her fingers. Stray tears blurred her vision and she wiped them, begging them to leave her alone long enough to drink him in. She could tell Daniel had changed his face back to the older him, and now she felt like such a child standing in front of him. What was she suppose to call him now? Ian or Jack? And still...why was he here?

He began stretching once more. This time, however, he reached back and wiped the tears from her eyes. "There will plenty of time for that later. Now, why don't we go catch that train?"

"Wow, I've never seen her speechless," Brian said. Constance ignored him.

"Why...are you here?" she finally said.

As she stood there, Brian put her backpack on her and straightened her clothes. He grabbed her hand. "Later," he whispered in her ear. "We have to get on the train."

Constance never took her eyes off Jack as Brian tugged out down the stairs and out the door. He continued to pull her towards the station while she stared at Jack. Brian bought an extra ticker for Jack and they boarded. As soon as Brian handed the conductor their tickets, they sat down. Constance took at deep breath and lunged forward. Throwing her arms around Jack and burying her face in his neck. Brian smirked as Constance straddled Jacks hips while he sat.

Jack sighed. Couldn't they think of anything better to ask him then that? Like 'how did you find us' or 'what happened to everyone' or even 'why is our home a burning pile of rubble'. No, they had to ask him why he came. He had to hand it to Brian, however, at least he didn't force him to say it this time.

Once they were on the train he was ready to go back to sleep, but apparently Constance had other ideas. Jack's cheeks flushed as she straddled him and hugged him. Glaring daggers at Brian, he dared him to say something. He began to slowly rub Constance's back as she nuzzled him. "I take it you missed me."

Constance took a deep breath, letting his smell linger. "Why are you here, Ian..." she whispered.

"I think it's back to Jack now, Constance," Brian said still smiling over her position on him.

Jack moved slightly beneath her. His face was still red, and Brian's smile didn't help things any. "I'm here because I told Daniel that I wanted to be here."

"Liar..." Brian mumbled.

Constance pulled back and looked at Brian then at Jack. "Why did you want to be here? You had a way out. Daniel said that's what you deserved...what you really wanted most..." she said.

He was going to kill him. That was the only reasonable option. Either that or he was just going to sew his mouth shut. That might work to. "Yes, it was what I wanted, but when I was presented with the option I realized that I have no idea how to lead a normal life. So instead I came here, because I wanted to make certain that you were okay." That was the truth...at least most of the truth.

Constance slipped off him and sat back in her seat next to Brian. She looked out the window. "So you came because you don't know how to live your life. I'm sorry you couldn't be normal," she mumbled. Brian rubbed her back. He offered her a juice box and she pushed it away. He offered it again and she slapped it from his hands. Sighing like always, he picked up the juice box.

"I thought we were passed that," he said.

Jack sighed. Great, now she was all mopey on him. "That's not it at all. Well, not entirely." And to think, right now he could be sipping down margaritas in Miami. No, he had chosen this because he wanted it. "I made the choice because I wanted to be with you. That was my sole motivation in this." He refused to say it again. There was no way they were going to make him, so Brian could just wipe that smirk off of his face.

Constance turned to him. "How much are they paying you? What did they offer? What was better than what you always wanted?" she asked. She told herself she wasn't stupid. She knew she was a job to everyone but Daniel...and maybe Brian...but only because Daniel train Brian and Brian reminded her of Daniel. Daniel's words came back to her the night she left, 'He doesn't love you, Constance...' She turned back to the window. "Never mind. I don't want to know."

Brian offered her the juice box once more and she took it this time. He gave her a smile.

This was going nowhere fast. "Believe it or not, they're not paying me anything." He saw the look in her eyes. "Shocking, I know, but I think Epsilon is history for a little while at least. Shadow blew up the building right before I left." There was a pause as he added, almost in a defensive tone. "And as I told you before, I came because I wanted to. Is that really so hard to believe?"

"Don't talk about Epsilon or about the people in it. We are done with that," Brian said.

Constance snapped her head to him. "Daniel?"

"Don't worry. He can take care of himself," Brian said. "And before you say anything else about us being done with Epsilon, just wait until we see Daniel. He will explain everything."

Constance closed her mouth and let her eyes go back to the window. "Everything...all of it...it's all my fault," she said.

Brian began rubbing her back again. "Don't worry about it so much."

She pushed his hands from her. "Just leave me alone."

Jack stood up and knelt before Constance. "None of this is your fault, Constance. This is the natural order of things. Believe me, places like Epsilon, Hades, and all the others...they're bound to fall at one point or another. I know that Daniel got out safely. I was talking to him when the bombs went off. I'm sure he got out fine."

She glared at him. "Go home...or where ever you had plans to go to after you got out...and whatever they offered you I'm sure I can ask them to let you keep it. Just go..." she said. She stood and headed to the next cabin. Brian stood she turned to him. "Don't follow me! I can take care of my damn self!" she yelled. "I don't need either of you. Just go home." She turned back around and went through the two doors to get to the next cabin. It was empty, she was grateful.

Jack looked over at Brian. "Okay, fine...I'll admit. I had that coming." It looked as if he wanted to get any sleep on this trip he was going to have to come out and say it. Walking over to the other cabin, he opened up the door and stared at her. "You're not getting rid of me so easily, Constance... because I...lo...." Damn it! Why did he always have such a hard time saying that word? Couldn't people just read between the lines so he wouldn't have to say it? "Ich liebe dich," he finally said softly.

Constance took a few steps back from him. "What?" she said.

Jack looked at her. He wasn't saying it again. "You heard me," he whispered. Of course, he hadn't thought to question whether or not she could speak German. He just hoped that was a given.

She shook her head. "But...you...and that's not...and Daniel...and I....but..." she said. She started to take deep breaths.

Jack took a step back. Did he just break her? "Why don't you sit down?" She really didn't look good all of a sudden. Perhaps he should've just let her stay mad.

Constance let her legs fold and she sat on the ground. "This is not a funny joke...I'm not laughing..." she said holding her heart.

"Who said it was a joke?" He fell to one knee so that he could look her in the face.

She scanned his eyes. If he was lying, she would have to kill him. "I love you....too..." she finally said.

"Well that's good, because I'd really hate to know that I turned down a beach front house for nothing," he said, giving her a small smirk to try an ease the tension.

Constance placed her hands on his chest, she pulled lightly at his shirt. "You...came for me?"

"I already told you that I did." If she'd just listened to him she would've known that already and they could've skipped this entire embarrassing scenario.

Leaning forward, she pushed her lips against his. She felt like she hadn't kissed him in years. Savoring each second on his lips, she moved towards him more. He loved her. Someone really loved her. All of her. Even the killer. Loved her enough to run with her. Loved her enough to risk his life.

Jack did miss her kisses. As she pulled closer to him, he wrapped his arms around her. When they finally broke the kiss he smiled. "That's enough. We're in a train full of people, so no kinky stuff."

She smiled. "They have bathrooms," she whispered and began kissing him again.

Jack just smirked. "You would be a freak and do it in a bathroom." Though he did have to admit, that did sound kinda interesting. "Though Brian would wonder why we're gone so long."

She shrugged and moved away then stood. Smiling down at him, she helped him to his feet then took his hand. Brian stood as Constance walked back in the cabin but only smiled when he saw her and Jack holding hands. He sat back down and watched Constance sit next to Jack. With a smirk on his face, he glared at Jack like he had just stolen a cookie from the forbidden jar.

Jack moved to sit down, glancing at Brian as he did so. "We didn't do anything," he sighed. Now maybe he could finally get some sleep. Everything he didn't want to say had been said, and now he was thoroughly exhausted.