Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of a Killer ❯ Chapter Thirty Eight ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
"Easy, not so loud!" Jack said as he hobbled down the stairs. He winced every time he moved. "I've got a headache and about eight lacerations. Also I think she might have broken my manhood." He was just wearing his boxers, which meant the still bleeding wounds were plenty visible. He hadn't exactly had much time to do anything before they got back. Setting the first aid box down on the kitchen table he winced as he sat down. He knew that he wasn't exactly giving them a detailed account of what had happened, but right now he wanted to stop bleeding all over the house.

Constance ran to his side and Brian began getting out the material needed to fix him up. "What happened? Did someone come for Constance?" Brian asked as he pulled out a needle to stitch him up. "Constance, get me some hot water and rags." Constance didn't move. "Go, Constance. He's not going to die."

Constance hesitated, but finally did as he said. She ran the rags in the hot water and began cleaning the wounds while he sewed them up.

Jack winced as they began helping him. The hot water only made them feel worse, and the stitches weren't exactly pleasant either. "No, actually...she came for me," he told them. He tried hard not to whimper, so he bit his lip. "I don't know who she is though. She was skilled, but she seemed too angry to really concentrate."

Constance grabbed one of the bandages, remembering how Daniel made her bite it when she refused pain killers to make herself stuff from shooting Jack. She folded it and held it up to his mouth. "Here...it helps," she said. He opened her mouth and she put it in for him to bite down.

Brian sighed. "Jack...you can't stay here. Not in this house." Constance turned to him sharply. "What if Constance was here? She would have tried to protect you and she could be the one cut up like this. You need to stay in town until you draw the attacker out then take care of her."

"But Brian..."

Brian looked at her sternly like Daniel would and she grew quiet. "Jack understands, don't you, Jack?"

Jack bit down on the bandage, but nodded. He could stay in town for a couple of days. He'd have to make a scene of it though or else she might come back here. Once Brian finished with his wounds, Jack took the bandage out and groaned. "Don't worry, I'll take care of it," he assured him. He started to get up, but quickly thought against it. "After I take some pain kills and get my gun."

Brian grabbed a needle and filled it with something. He stuff Jack in the arm then threw it away. "That should make you pretty numb so you can get some sleep. You can leave when you're ready, but not tonight," he said. He turned to Constance. "You can sleep in the other bedroom tonight. Jack needs his rest."

Constance nodded. "No problem. I understand," she said.

Brian watched as she kissed Jack's cheek then walked upstairs. He gently wrapped an arm around Jack and helped him up. He walked up stair with him and helped him in the bed. "Yell if something happens. There's a gun under the bed. I put it there while you went to town the other day," he said.

"Thanks, that info could have helped a little earlier." Already he was trying hard to stifle a yawn. He didn't even get another witty retort before he was finding it hard to stay awake. Slowly but surely he passed out before Brian even got to leave. His dreams were filled with visions of his attacker. He didn't know who she was, but her voice...it sounded familiar.

Constance rolled over in her bed. She had gotten so use to sleeping with someone, it was hard to sleep without them. Even having Brian in the same room with her while at the safe houses were better than being alone. She got out of the bed and tip toed down the hall. She pushed open a door and peeked it. Brian sat up.

"Constance?" he said yawning. "Are you ok?"

Constance shifted where she stood. "I can't sleep with Ian because he's hurt...can I sleep here with you?" she asked.

Brian moved over on the bed and pulled back the covers. Constance left the door open and walked over. She crawled in and snuggled against the pillows. Brian yawned again and kissed her forehead like Daniel would then rolled over. Constance closed her eyes with a smile.

By the time the morning came, Jack was already dressed. He didn't bother with his contacts. He wore them to hide his identity, and right now he wanted to get notice. He fixed his gun into his jacket and grabbed what clothes he should need. Walking down the hall he peeked into Brian's room. A smile came to his lips as he kissed Constance while she slept.

"See you later," he whispered.

Hours later Constance woke. Brian wasn't there. She got up walked down the hall. She peeked in hers and Jack's room but he was gone. Running down stairs she ran out the door. Brian dropped the spatula and ran after her. She ran down the drive way after noticing the truck was still there. Brian caught up with her as she stood at the end of the drive way.

"He...didn't say goodbye..." she said. "How will he contact us?"

Brian grabbed her hand. "He's a big boy. He'll come back when his job is done. Maybe if we go to town sometime we will see him."

Constance turned to him. "I have to fix the truck."

After getting a motel room at the shadiest motel he could find, he decided to let himself been seen by the locals. That meant he was going to the bar. Gee, what a coincidence. Sliding into the bar, he nodded to some of the locals that still knew him. Of course, the one who took the most notice was Sheila.

"Oooh, I love the hair," she said. Sliding a beer down his way, she walked over to him and smiled. "So, you still fool around with all the pretty girls?"

"No, only one girl these days," he said with a smirk as he took a sip of the beer.

"What a shame," she said, caressing his cheek. "While you're here we may have to break that little rule."

Constance worked on the truck all day. Even with Brian bringing her lunch so she wouldn't have to leave the truck, she still had a long way to go before it would be in a good condition. Brian finally pried her from it long enough to come inside to rest and eat dinner. The whole time she talked about the car and how she couldn't wait to see Jack again. She acted like she hadn't seen him in days and it had only been hours.

"So tell me, Sheila. Anything new happen since I've been gone." He was working on his second beer, but he was trying to get as much information from the locals as he could.

"Not really," she said as she wiped down the bar. "Everything's been pretty quiet." She stopped just to smile at him. "Though you did make quiet the ruckus when you left. You broke a lot of hearts besides just mine and Freddy's."

That peaked his interest. He hadn't been with anyone other then her and Freddy when he was here. "Who else was looking for me?"

"I didn't get her name, but she didn't look like she was from here. She sounded almost Russian. She was really upset when I told her that she'd missed you by two days."

"Russian...." Jack's eyes narrowed. That brought back some memories. Natasha Romanoff...daughter of Mikel Romanoff and brother to Crutez Romanoff, both of which were now dead thanks to him.

Sheila pressed her lips against him, causing him to jump. "You were day dreaming about me," she said with a wink. "I get off in an hour. Want to go see a movie?"

"Sure, sounds good," he said as he downed the rest of his beer. If it really was Natasha, then he was going to have a much harder time with this then he previously thought.

Brian pushed Constance up the stairs. "Go on, go to bed."

"It's only nine!" she groaned.

"You have been out there all day and most of the night. Go to bed and rest up so you can work more on it tomorrow," he said. His hand firmly pushed on her back as she walked to her door. She got in and he tucked her in, the smell of her shampoo hit him while his hands brushed through her wet hair from the shower he forced her to take after dinner. "Want me to stay until you fall asleep?"

Constance nodded.

That night Sheila wanted to go back to his place, but he calmly refused her offer. They had fun once before, but Constance would kick his ass if he did anything like that now. Having his butt kicked by one female a week was clearly a limit. Besides, he was still sore from his little fight yesterday.

Bidding her goodnight he went back to his motel room. Sitting in the chair he sat back and watched his room. From where he was he could watch both the window and the door. Fixing his gun in his lap, he fought to stay awake in case Natasha tried to make her move.

Constance smiled as she turned on the radio in the truck then laughed. "It works!"

Brian smiled. "That's great."

She got out then went to crawl back under the truck. Brian got out and crawled under with her. He had been watching her work on it all day. She barely spoke about Jack when she worked. She seemed to really enjoy it, and he enjoyed watching her get so involved with it. Who knew? Maybe she would from up to be a mechanic.

Jack groaned. Rubbing his eyes he looked at the clock. It was almost ten o' clock. He must have drifted off to sleep somewhere in the night. Getting up, he muttered curses at how sore he was. Splashing water on his face, he put on some fresh clothes and stared out to the town today. Hopefully he could find more out today.

Brian was able to pull Constance away from the truck long enough to get her interested in riding a bike. She fell a lot and despite all her complaining, she never gave up. After more than half of the day of learning, she began riding along side with Brian. They rode around the land, enjoying the sights. Constance didn't say one word about Jack or about the truck. Brian smiled.

"Hey Sheila." Jack waved at her as he entered the bar. His smile fell when he noticed the raven haired girl sitting in his usual spot.

"Speak of the devil," Sheila said with a coy smile. "It seems your new girlfriend here has been looking for you."

Turning around in her seat, Natasha leaned back and smiled at Jack. "Hello, Jack. It's been a long time."

Constance sat on the phone with Daniel laughing and telling him about her day. She said her goodbyes and passed the phone to Brian. She walked outside and began working on the truck again. Brian walked outside and sat down while watching her work.

"She slept with me the other day. And I sat with her until she fell asleep last night," Brian said.

"You sound like you are smiling."

"I am. I never thought she would warm up to me like she does you, but I find myself striving for the next time she needs me," he admitted. "The notebooks you wrote on her help a lot."

"Are you writing things down while you're with her?"

"Yes, just like you said. I'm recording everything like you asked."

"Good."

Jack surveyed the bar. None of the normal patrons were there. Instead there were only a few guys which he didn't know. "Sheila, will you do me a favor?" he asked with a smile. Leaning forward he brought her closed and kissed her, letting his tongue dip into her mouth. "She's a special friend, and I know you keep some of that vintage wine in the cellar. Would you mind grabbing us a bottle?"

Sheila was too breathless to deny his request. She smiled and nodded as she headed to the basement. As soon as she got past the door he shut it and propped a chair against it.

"You and your goons can stop your charade. You're here for me, so come on and let's get this over with."

"Oh you're not getting off so easily Phantom. Or should I call you, Jack? You know, I suffered greatly at your hands. You murdered my entire family!"

Jack sighed. "You have every right to blame me, but I'm just a hired gun. Blame the people who ordered the hit, or blame your father for smuggling guns to the enemy."

"My father was a good man! My mother, my brother, my little sister.... You murdered them all. You trapped them in their bedrooms and set our house on fire. They burned alive because of you, and you will pay for that."

"Yeah, I figured I would." Letting the gun drop out of his sleeve he moved and shot the guy closest to him. His next two shots took out the next two, but the others were starting to draw their guns as well. They were just thugs, however, small fries. He had to take them out because even they got lucky with their shots. Natasha was the true threat, however.

Brian glanced over at Constance while she cussed at herself for hitting her finger. "There's an assassin after Jack. I sent him to town to keep the assassin from Constance."

"I'm impressed. Constance didn't object?"

"No, I gave her one of your looks." Daniel laughed. "She's been playing with the truck and doesn't really talk about him so much when she's working on it. Though, while we eat, it's hard for her to not talk about him."