Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of a Killer ❯ Chapter Forty ( Chapter 40 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
When he finally felt well enough to venture out, he headed back to Daniel's place to see if he could talk with Brian to arrange for him a flight back to London. Upon arriving at the house, however, he soon realized that they'd already left. Everything was gone, save for the bikes and truck. Those were the only remnants which showed that they'd even been there. Obviously Brian had called Daniel and he'd had them leave again, this time without him.

Jack sat in the empty house, wondering where they would go. Daniel could have any number of safe houses around the world, but somehow he figured that they'd end up back in the U.S. He didn't know if he should even bother with it, however. It was clear that they were through, and he didn't even know if he could look at her the same after that. Picking up the phone he dialed the airline.

Constance walked down the stairs the next morning. She looked pale, like death itself. Her eyes were puffy from crying all night. Both Daniel and Brian stood as they saw her. She looked at them.

"Was...I wrong?" she asked.

Daniel sighed and held out his arms. Constance walked over to him and she let him hold her. "You killed her for something you believe was reason enough, but in a normal society, you would be in jail right now. You can't kill people just because they do something to upset you."

Brian walked over to them and stroked her hair. "I'm still impressed that you didn't kill Jack."

Constance pulled back from Daniel and started walking back upstairs. "I hope he dies. I hope it's painful when it happens."

They watched her go back upstairs and listened as the door slammed. "Her trust will never be the same for anyone other than us. I hope you are prepared for that kind of life. From this moment on, the world has just become her biggest enemy."

"Maybe taking away her from being an assassin wasn't such a good idea."

Jack landed in the all too familiar airport. He nodded to the security guards before grabbing his luggage from the spinning thing at the airport. He'd never bothered to learned what it was called. He had a long ways ahead of him, but he didn't care. He remembered the path for the most part, not that it mattered really. If they weren't there then this trip would be wasted and he'd return to jolly ole London. That actually didn't sound like a bad idea. Even as he got his rental car and started off on the long journey, he was fairly certain that he was crazy for undertaking this adventure. Still, a part of him knew that he wouldn't be able to rest until this matter was settled....

Finally, they got Constance to eat. After two days of her being there, she finally ate. Though it wasn't much, at least it was something. Daniel and Brian had been talking about asking her if she wanted to be an assassin again. It would make her life a little easy on her. Despite the fact that it seemed like a harsh life, she had grown accustom to doing what a boss said to do, killing when told, and being number one at it. Though Daniel wouldn't admit it, he was beginning to wonder if Brian had been right. Maybe killing was all she really knew how to do. The first person she ever felt romantic about, she killed. The second broke her heart and she killed because of it. It always came back to killing.

Jack scarfed down the last bit of Cheetos. The area was starting to look familiar. Taking a turn here and a turn there, he soon began to notice more and more landmarks. By the time he reached Daniel's house he was thoroughly tired of driving. Making certain that his bulletproof vest was securely fitted, he pushed his gun into his jacket. He wasn't there for a fight, but he wasn't certain if he was going to get a fight or not. Going up to the front door he knocked and waited patiently.

Daniel opened the door and closed it half way after seeing it was Jack. "Yes?" he said casually.

Brian yelled in the back ground. Constance cried out with an apology. She had spilled soup on him once again. Brian laughed lightly and wiped her tears. "Hey, it only burned a little this time. Don't cry," he said.

Daniel turned back to Jack.

Jack tensed as he heard the others. "She has a shirt of mine. I would like it back." Yes, because logically he would fly for twelve hours and drive for three days just to get a shirt.

"Fine," Daniel said and shut the door. He went upstairs and went through Constance things and grabbed a shirt that looked Jack's size. He couldn't find any other shirt big enough to fit him, so that had to be it. He walked back to the door with Brian's eyes on him. Constance didn't seem to be paying attention. She was trying to stop crying. Every now and then she would stop crying and something would start her again, like Jack's name or something that reminded her of him. And though she said she hated him, she still cried. Daniel opened the door and handed the shirt to Jack. "There you go."

Jack took his shirt...only, he still wasn't quite ready to leave. "This is the one," he said slowly. Narrowing his eyes he nodded to the sound of Constance's crying. "What's wrong with her?"

Daniel's face didn't change. "She's fine. Just crying over spilled milk. Nothing you need to worry or ask about," he assured him.

"I'm not an idiot," Jack told him. "I'll be staying in a motel not too far from here for the next few days. There's some business I need to attend to before going back to London. If you...or her should wish to contact me here's the number." He quickly pulled the hotel's card and gave it to him.

Daniel handed it back. "She won't need you, and neither will I," he said and closed the door. He moved over to Constance and stroked her head. She looked up at him. He smiled.

"Well then, screw you too," Jack muttered. Tossing the card on the ground he got back into his vehicle and tore off. The tires screeched as the tore through the ground and he started back on his merry way. He tried, that was all that mattered. Now he could go back home with no regrets. He could go back being a gun for hire because that was what he was good at. Stopping at the motel he paid the lady for only one night. He'd crash and then drive to the closest airport and get the hell out of there.

Constance looked at the door as she heard the tires spin off. "Who was that?" she asked.

"No one. A person from the past. Right now we should be deciding where you should be sent next," Daniel said. "Hopefully not London."

Daniel started making phone calls again. Brian patted Constance hand.

"Yeah, no, first thing in the morning. Yeah, no I'll spring for first class. They have free drinks right? Good. Yeah, that'll be fine." Jack hung up the phone and sat back on his bed. Throwing the flowers he brought with him into the trash he laid back, wincing as he did so. The only thing he was going to truly miss about Epsilon was those miracle drugs and doctors they had. Man, they didn't have anything like that where he was from. That was one of the bad things about being a killer without a home, you didn't get access to the medical places which meant if you got shot you had to take care of yourself.

Taking out one of the bottles of liquor he had purchased, he took a few swigs to help numb him before turning on the televisions. He could sleep on the plane tomorrow so tonight he was going to enjoy himself.

Daniel slapped the phone down. Constance jumped and Brian looked over at him. "Bad news?"

"The only fucking place I can seem to get ready for you in time is in London. Everywhere else won't be ready for months," he said.

"What's so wrong with London?" Constance asked.

Daniel looked at her, then smiled. "Nothing, hopefully." He kissed her on the forehead. "Go get some sleep. You'll fly out tomorrow."

She nodded and left. Daniel turned to Brian. "If you see Jack when you get there, go the other way. I don't want her near him. I'm not sure if she will go in for the kill if she sees him again."

Brian nodded. "I understand."

Jack packed lightly. He still had plenty of safe houses in London to hide out in, so he would be fine for a while. Grabbing his bags he drove to the airport. He checked his guns beneath the plane so he wouldn't have to worry about the hassle of being arrested. The only weapon he kept on him was the fiber knife which wouldn't be detected by the metal detector. Once he was through, he got onto the plane in first class which was mostly empty. Taking his drink from the cute flight attendant, he sipped it slowly while trying to relax.

Saying goodbye was easier this time. Constance was getting use to it. She kissed Daniel's cheek before getting on the plane. They road in coach. Daniel had said it would help them blend in more. Neither of them minded. Coach was just fine. Constance stared out the window while holding lightly onto Brian's hand. She thought of Jack and then grew mad and sad all at once. Somehow her thoughts always came back to him. Daniel had said it would disappear with time. He also to Brian to use those kind of moments to ease himself in Jack's spot.

Jack tried to smile when they landed in London. It was summer, so of course it was going to be raining. Tomorrow was his birthday; it was only fitting that he spend it here in London. Grabbing his bags from the overhead, he waited for all the other first class passengers to get off before he too started on his way out. He was home, he should be glad, but once again he just sort of felt numb to everything. That was nearly more painful than anything else he had experience. It was the numbness which eventually consumed most assassins who grew tired of this world.

Daniel pulled out an umbrella and opened it as they made their way to a taxi. Constance slipped and with all the luggage in his hands, Brian didn't catch her. Water splashed around them and Constance landed on her back. She didn't bother to move, until she heard the thunder. She screamed and Brian was sure all of London heard. Dropping the bags, he searched through his bags until he found her iPod. Quickly, he turned it on and put her headphones in. Constance shook against him and he patted her back. The taxi driver finally got out of the car to help them with the luggage.

"Thanks for finally helping," Brian said coldly as he pulled Constance to her feet. By that time, they were both soaked.

As Jack was making his way toward his taxi he heard the thunder which was quickly followed by a scream. He stopped dead in his track and turned toward the sound. Surely he wasn't...he stopped as he locked eyes with Brian. His gaze turned to Constance and then to him. What the hell were they doing in London? Daniel had all but said that he was to never see them again, and then he sent them to his city? Didn't that man have any decency or morals?

Brian froze for a second as he and Jack locked eyes. He looked away and helped Constance into the car. He told the driver the address Daniel gave him and the cab took off. Brian looked at Constance who was trying hard to concentrate on the music while it stormed outside. He sighed. London was always like this. It would make their stay very hard on Constance. Then again, without any help, it would make it hard on him as well.

"Welcome to my city," Jack said, tipping his hat as their taxi took off. Shaking his head as the taxi driver offered to take his stuff, he instead decided that today he would prefer to walk. By the time he made it to his house, he was thoroughly soaked to the bone. He wasted no time, however. Picking up the phone he dialed a few of the agencies and informed them that the Phantom was back and taking offers. Once that was settled, he decided to just sit back and watch the rain. They were here.... What was he going to do now?

Constance ran into the townhouse they had. She didn't bother looking around. She went straight for the nearest closet and got in. Brian brought their things in and took his time taking off his shoes and coat. He went for the closet and pulled it open. Constance eyes were shut tight and she was in a ball. Brian got in the closet and shut the door. He pulled her to him and she snuggled close as their wet clothes stuck to them.

Jack took off his clothes and got in a hot shower. His wound still didn't look all that great, but at least it was healing. He'd barely stepped out of the shower before the phone rang. He listened to their demands and what they were willing to offer. After a little negotiating on the price, he took the job. Getting dressed, he grabbed his guns, and his hat. At least this would take his mind off of her for a little while.
Constance fell asleep like that. Brian carried her out of the closet and upstairs. Surprisingly, nothing in the house was anything like Daniel's house. It was all bright and white. It was very modern. Brian undressed Constance and put her in some warm clothes before changing himself. He then called Daniel to let him know they made it...and had seen Jack. It was a big city; hopefully Jack was on the other side of it.