Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of a Killer ❯ Chapter Forty Two ( Chapter 42 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Jack reached for his gun as he went to answer the door. Just because he worked for all sides, didn't mean that some idiot wouldn't try to kill him. Looking through peep hole, he sighed when he saw Brian. Tucking his gun into his pants, he opened up the door. "Yes?" he asked casually.

"Nice to see you too, Jack," he said smiling. "Don't worry, I didn't come here to start anything. I just wanted to formally thank you for your help today, and to also tell you that we live a few blocks down. I'm hoping we can come to an understanding about keeping you and her...well...apart."

Jack just nodded slowly. "No problem. I wasn't expecting you guys to be there," he said slowly. As what Brian asked of him began to sink in, he just sighed. "Well, I won't go looking for you guys if that's what you mean; but I'm not going to just stay in my flat all day either."

Brian laughed. "I don't expect either. I've noticed you have taken up the role as an assassin again, and I don't want to stand in the way of that. Though I am a little curious as to why you started killing again when you made such a big deal about quitting."

Jack ran a hand through his hair and shrugged. "It keeps me busy. I don't have to think when I'm doing a job. I just follow my instincts and training. When I kill it makes me feel.... Well, it just makes me feel."

"Maybe you should have thought of that when Constance killed Sheila. Killing makes her feel in control," Brian stated. Behind him someone moved and he turned around. It was some guy who had stopped below the concrete stairs. He was there to see Jack obviously and from the way he looked at Jack, he was there for intimate reasons. Brian sighed. "You seem to have filled her void. Good for you," he said then smiled. "Goodnight, Jack."

He walked down the steps then nodded to the man there who had a broken look on his face like Brian had just stolen Jack from him. Brian walked down the street and back to his place. Constance was still sleeping when he checked on her. He dropped his jacket and shoes to the floor then crawled in the bed with her. He pulled her close into his chest. Somehow, his heart broke for her.

Jack slammed his hand into the door frame. The tiniest bit of emotion which coursed through him soon died out when Brad came up.

"Who was that?" he asked.

"Someone from my past. Someone I want to forget."

Brad smiled and pushed Jack onto the bed. "I'll help you to forget."

Jack knew that he was going to be sore again in the morning, but he didn't care. Even as Brad made his way down him, Brian's words kept ringing in his head. It was one thing to kill on a job, but to kill someone who didn't deserve to die. Why the hell would he bring up Sheila? What good did talking about that do him now?

He wasn't going to see her again unless it was just passing on the street. Damn it, Brian. Why couldn't he just leave well enough alone?

Brian sat outside in a park writing on his new clipboard while Constance sat on the green grass playing with kitten she had somehow talked him into getting. Her dress rained around the grass delicately making her look breathtaking. She held a string in front of her kitten, teasing him. She named him Daniel 2. Somehow, that made Brian laugh. At that moment, watching her smile, he decided that it was time he would try to fill the hole in her heart Jack left behind. Without having to worry about killing, she could love easier. And Brian would never leave her which made what happened between Sheila and Jack impossible for him. Daniel was pleased to hear that Brian finally accepted the offer.

Constance pulled Daniel 2 to her face and she kissed him on the head. The bell around his neck sounded off as she put him back down and watched him attack the string again.

"So, you bought her a kitten," Jack said as he sat beside Brian on the park bench. He watched her play, and his lips twisted into a small smile. She looked rather radiant today. Though she also looked so much younger. Without killing she almost seemed to have regressed even further into a child like state. "What did she name it?"

Brian glared at him. "I don't want her seeing you, so make your visit brief. I finally got her to stop crying over you," he stated bluntly. "Daniel 2 is the kitten's name. She seemed completely attached to him. How was your evening with what's his face?"

"Ah, lovely name," he said. Despite Brian's rough countenance, he just smiled. "You mean, Brad? Oh, it was rather painful but good. Of course I had to let him go today. He was getting too obsessive."

Sighing, he relaxed more. He wasn't planning on going anywhere. "She looks radiant," he mused. Snapping his fingers as if he suddenly remembered something, he looked over at Brian. "That's right, I came here to tell you something. I've had two different agencies call me today. They both wanted me to track down the Muse and kill her. Apparently someone tipped them off that she was here."

Brian stood. "Thank you for the tip," he said. "You can look all you want at her, but don't touch. For you, she's more off limits than ever now. I was hoping things would be smoothed over by you two, but seeing as how you like fucking without so much as a regret, I've changed my mind." He left Jack there and went to Constance. He picked up the kitten then kissed her cheek as she stood. They walked off, Constance didn't look back.

Jack sighed. Brian was such a fool. He'd never bothered to ask if Jack had accepted the contracts or not.

Brian hurried home with Constance and began packing. She looked at him with sad eyes. "But I like it here..." she said.

"I'm sorry. We can't stay," he said. "Someone has found you here and we can't risk it."

Constance put down Daniel 2 and started to help pack. They would be leaving a lot behind, including some of the things she loved, like the second bike he bought her and the small pool big enough for them both. But winter was coming so it didn't matter. Brian got on the phone with Daniel and filled him in.

"Did Jack say if he took the job to kill her?"

Brian closed the suitcase. "I didn't ask. It doesn't matter. We can't stay. If he follows, I'll take care of him," he said.

Constance put Daniel 2 in his traveling cage. Brian gave her a smile.

"I don't have anything ready for you yet, but I'll have a ticket waiting for you at the airport. You'll be going to Russia. A cab will meet you there and take you to a hotel until the house is ready for you." Daniel grew silent. "Brian, how are you taking all this? Are you regretting your decision?"

Brian looked over at Constance again. Her red lips spread into a smile and she pulled up the strap of her dress that fell from her shoulder. Brian's heart felt warm. "No. I think I could learn to love her like Jack. And I think she could learn to love me that way to."

"If you ever feel it's too much..."

"I won't."

Jack sat there on the park bench for quite a while after they left. He had a decision to make. Should he simply go on with his life as it was, or should he go through and fight for her? Growling in frustration, he came to his decision. He had enough money sunk into this already. He might as well go through with it.

Walking down to Brad's house, he knocked on the door. Brad opened it with a mischievous smile. "Hey you, what are you doing here?"

"Just thought I'd see you," he smiled. "Is your sister here?"

"Jessica? Yeah, why you wanna borrow some earrings from her?"

Jack just smiled. "Something like that." Before Brad knew what was going on Jack jammed a needle into his neck. His one time lover fell asleep as he moved into the house to find Jessica.

He had to call in two separate favors for people to help him move the bodies to a place he had already prepared. He had hoped for more time to get everything he needed, but he'd already spent a small fortune getting what supplies he had. Luckily all the jobs he'd been taking since he arrived had evened out the cost. He didn't have nearly enough expertise when it came to this as Daniel, but if there was one thing he knew, it was Constance's body.

Brad's sister was the same height, weight, age, and even eye color as her. That was what first attracted him to Brad and was the only reason he allowed Brad to touch him. Brad was roughly the same size as Brian, so it would work as well. Still, his masterpiece was going to be turning Jessica into Constance. It was going to take quite some effort, but he knew that he could pull it off.

By the time dusk fell, he was thoroughly satisfied with his work. After dressing them in appropriate attire, he moved them to a dark alleyway. Pulling out his gun, he pointed it at 'Constance' and fired several rounds into her and 'Brian'. Once he was done he called his benefactor. "It's done," he said.

"Really? Seeing as how this is such a special case, I'll have someone pick up you and the body."

"Okay, I'll be waiting." He closed his phone and sat back. This was his gift to her. In a way, this was his apology.

A vehicle came and picked them up. They didn't bother with 'Brian's body. That wasn't part of the deal. He was grateful, because he hadn't done nearly as much work on Brian as he did Constance. As he was taken up to the topmost portion of the building with her body, he just felt numb. Undoubtedly the information he had given Brian would force them to flee. They would be gone, and hopefully with this gift they would be safe.

Upon entire the office room, he saw only one person, but that person made his heart run cold.

"Hmm, I like the younger face on you, but I'm loving the earrings. So is it Ian or is it Jack? Oh how about I just call you the Phantom, eh? That seems to be what everyone else around here knows you as." Shadow walked towards him, a malicious smile on his face. Peeking at Constance's body, he smirked at Jack. Resting his elbows on her corpse he looked up at Jack. "So tell me. Last I heard you were her little sex toy. So why would you go off and kill her for little ole me?"

"It's simple. She was a job. I was suppose to be her handler. That job ended and this one presented itself. You've read my file. I have no allegiance to anyone." He had practiced those words every night while since he'd come back to London. Combine that with the numbing effect of lying to the person you care about, mix it in with the growing numbness he was feeling, and add it onto the fact that he just killed two innocent people to protect her...it made for a fairly impressive lie.

"Is that so?" Shadow began to strip Constance. His hands ran over her body, checking for the wound he had inflicted upon her. Sure enough, it was there. "Well then, lover boy... it seems that you did well. Though I find it hard to believe that you made it out of this without a scratch. How did you do it?"

Jack pulled upon his coat to reveal the gunshot wound to his right shoulder. "Believe me, she got me, but even in the end she didn't really think I would do it. I was her weakness till the very end."

Shadow just smiled. "Well, it seems that you earned your keep for now Phantom. Though I am disappointed that I didn't get to her alive. We would've had so much fun together."

"I might not have cared for her, but even I'm not heartless enough to bring her to you. Killing her was my final gift," he said coldly. With that he started for the elevator.

"Oh Phantom! Of course you realize that if the Muse should ever pop up anywhere, then I'll be coming for you."

Jack just looked back and smirked. "Didn't you hear? You can never kill a Phantom." Just as he said that the doors closed. Once he could no longer see Shadow, his calm mask faded as he slumped against the elevator. He wasn't certain that would fool him for long, but for now Constance was safe. Word would spread quickly that the Phantom had killed the Muse, so perhaps Daniel would hear about it and put two and two together. Either that or he'd really think that he'd been able to kill her. Either way, in a few short hours the entire assassin network would be buzzing. That meant that his head would be on the chopping block next, but it was worth it.

"I'm amazed you had restraint."

Natasha came up behind Shadow, a disgusted look on her face. "He will pay in due time. I've already made him kill his lover, this is the just the beginning," she promised. Looking at Constance's corpse she groaned. "You should've seen what she did to that local girl. She really is a monster."

"Yes, she is," Shadow said. "But she's only a monster because she tries to pretend to be human."