Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ One Of The Boys ❯ Where To Go From Here? ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Kai got up early Monday morning to get ready for school. She grabbed her uniform and set it on her bed. She made sure to wrap her breasts and put on very light make up. If she was going to confess her feelings it wouldn't matter what she looked like. Besides, she had to play the part of a boy. She was pretty sure having boobs might take away the sex appeal for her guests.
Looking at her reflection in her mirror, she nodded and walked downstairs. Her backpack was on the counter, and she noticed suitcases by the door. She frowned, as she realized her mother would be leaving her as soon as she dropped her off for school.
Her heart began to ache and she felt a warm hand on shoulder. She stared up at her mother whose thoughts must have mirrored hers because her mother gave her a sad smile.
"Let’s go to the car" she said, as they grabbed their bags and headed out to the car.
They put the bags in the trunk of the limo and the driver held the door open for them. They entered the car and proceeded to drive off. Looking back, Kai realized she wouldn't be back at her house with her mother for a while. Sighing, she laid her head back and rested. The car drive was a bit long, 45 minutes by car. So after about 30 minutes she couldn't take the silence anymore. Usually her mother wasn't this quiet with her goodbyes.
Looking at her mother, she realized her mother was crying.
"Mom what’s wrong?" she asked her, voice heavy with concern.
Her mother was wiping her eyes, and struggling to stop the tears.
"I had a talk with Ranka, and I just don't feel like I'm there for you enough. He and I both feel like we aren't good enough parents" she said, and almost lost her composure.
"Not good enough? Mom what are you talking about! You’re great! Really" she said, trying to convince her mother everything was well.
Her mother shook her head and said,
"I'm always overseas, when I should be raising my child. I feel so terrible Kaika" she told her, as she hugged her fiercely.
Kai hugged her back and struggled to find the right words for her mother.
"Mom, you are a good mother. You providing for us, and I never blamed you for anything. Both Haruhi and I...we have always been independent. Even if you hovered over anything I did, it wouldn't change who I am. Your great and you taught me to be the person I am. Never doubt that" Kai told her, beginning to get worked up.
Her mother nodded, and continued to hold her tightly.
After a few moments, they let go and the driver announced they were at the school.
Wiping her eyes with a tissue, her mother patted her cheek.
"Never forget I'm a phone call away. Let me know what happens with you and the club" her mother said, eyes soft.
Kai nodded and hugged her mom again.
"I'll see you soon mom" she said, voice thick with emotion.
Her mother nodded and Kai stepped out of the limo. She shut the door and her mother rolled down the window.
"By the way dear, Kouya Otoori is a very charming boy. He let me know quite a bit about the things your club does. Not to mention come talents you forgot to tell me about. I must remember to make you sing for me next time I'm home" her mother said, winking.
Kai gaped, and then groaned in embarrassment.
"Love you darling, sayonara" her mother said, waving tearfully.
Kai waved to her mother and waved back,
"Sayonara mom" she said, and watched as the car drove off.
She wouldn't cry. After today though, she worried that all she would ever do was cry if things didn't go well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
She met up with Haruhi in the library, already surrounded by guests.
"Kai!
"Oh my goodness! Kai!"
Voices yelled, as the girls surrounded her, all asking too many questions at once.
"Where were you?"
"Were you sick?"
Kai laughed and held up her hands.
"Sorry ladies, I had a cold so I need to leave school early to have a long weekend of rest. I'm back though" she said, and they all swooned.
Shaking her head in amusement, she and Haruhi walked away and sat at a deserted table. School would start in a few minutes.
"How you doing?" Haruhi asked her, very concerned again for her friend.
Haruhi had known her mother was leaving this morning.
"She left again this morning. It's okay though. It has to happen" Kai responded, smiling although it didn't touch her eyes.
Looking around the library, they noticed they were alone.
"So do you plan on telling them today?" Haruhi asked her eyes full of compassion.
Kai nodded at her best friend, and groaned as her stomach knotted further with nerves.
"Well not to make your day worse, but today is the school fair. All classes are canceled for the day" Haruhi told her, and Kai glared.
"This school skips class way too often" Kai muttered, getting up from her chair.
"Where are you going? We CAN hide in here all day if you want" Haruhi said grinning, and Kai rolled her eyes.
"You know as well as I do that Tamaki has some grand plan for the fair. So we have to find them. Any idea where this fair is taking place?" Kai asked her, and Haruhi inclined her head to the window.
Kai walked over and saw crowds of people in the courtyard.
"Ugh. Okay, let’s hit the road Jack" she said, as she began to hum Ray Charles. (O.o)
Haruhi laughed at her and got up and grabbed her bags. They left the library and walked out to the courtyard.
The place was bustling and Kai could feel everyone's excitement in the air. Looking at Haruhi, she saw Haruhi nod over to a group a handsome men standing next to a carriage. Her breath caught, as she saw the twins sitting on the carriage. Hunny, who was always very observant, caught site of them and sprinted to Kai.
"Kai-chan! I was so worried! Are you okay?" Hunny asked her, as he hugged her like a vice. She laughed and hugged him back.
"I'm fine Hunny Sempai. Really. Just visiting my mother" she told him, and he smiled up at her.
"Ah your mother truly is a fine lady, Kai" Kouya said, walking up to her and hitching up his glasses coolly. She smiled at him.
"Yeah, she is" she said softly, and looked over at her King.
"Both of my little girls are here to celebrate the festival! I'm so excited!" he said, hugging the life out of her and Haruhi.
"Put us down!" they grumbled, and Mori came to save them.
She gave Mori a big smile, and he returned it and set them down.
She looked at the ground, and heard footsteps coming toward them.
She looked up at the twins, and she swore the world stopped spinning.
They looked at her with small smiles, eyes soft and warm. Hikaru looked guilty, but he knew not to say anything in front of the crowd.
Her throat felt tight, and she didn't know if she could speak. They smiled and simply walked to her and hugged her tightly. She closed her eyes and sighed. Not wanting to give any of her emotion, but TOTALLY failing, she pulled away and looked away from them. She would talk to them later.
She looked back at Tamaki, who seemed to be watching the moment knowingly and asked,
"What are we doing for the fair?"
He gave her a huge grin, and dramatically motioned to the carriage. Kai curiously walked closer, and noticed the horses. Needless to say she went crazy.
"Aww! How cute!" she said, as she petted the horses and they whinnied in approval. She had always loved horses, and now was no different.
"Like it? We will be riding in it for the parade! In fact, now that my little girls have arrived it has made my day perfect! We can take a practice run right now!" he told her, and Mori picked her up and helped her in the carriage. She sat beside Haruhi and Kaoru, and felt him nudge her. He inclined his head to where Hikaru was sitting. Hikaru was going to drive the carriage.
Kind of sexy. She grinned and made a motion to hold tight onto the railing of the carriage. He chuckled and did the same.
She sighed inwardly, wishing she could have a moment alone with him. Knowing this was not possible, she made sure she would find a way later to talk to him.
The carriage ride soon came to an end and everyone made their way to music room #3 to get ready for the party. Both guests and parents would have the chance for the next 2 days to enjoy the host club.
They each put on black pant suits and silver vests, and made their ball room presentable. After decorating and setting up food, the guests began to arrive with their parents. The hosts went to the door and greeted them.
Many guests and their influential parents arrived, and it was time to turn on the charm.
Hunny was talking to some guests, but was having difficulty buttoning his vest and Mori came over and helped him. Needless to say the guests and their mothers went crazy. The fathers of the guests were having an intriguing conversation with Kouya over politics, and he was definitely saying what they wanted to here. They were very impressed.
Other moms and guests were all fawning over Tamaki and his princely attitude, and the twins and their "forbidden romance". Kai never noticed it before, but she actually found it quite hot. Shaking her head at herself, she walked with Haruhi to get more trays.
They stopped to see Kouya on the computer, sighing in annoyance.
"What’s wrong, Sempai?" asked Kai, as she peeked over his shoulder and saw a bunch of numbers on the computer screen.
"Jeez you could buy a small country with how much this thing costs" said Haruhi, shaking her head at the costs.
Kai nodded, and Tamaki shook his head at them.
"Oh come now, that is not the host club attitude at all. Happiness is above any price tag!" he stated joyfully, and Kouya groaned.
"No they are right. You have overshot the budget. It would appear you had an authentic carriage shipped here from France? Must you always be so capricious? Your impulsiveness overwhelms my accounting skills" he told Tamaki, shaking his head.
"Typical" muttered Kai and Haruhi, and Tamaki glared.
"Capricious is just another word for creative!" he said, and stomped his foot in defiance.
Suddenly, they saw a man sitting on the couch, and Tamaki rushed to speak to him.
"Father!" he said, smiling in excitement.
"Call me chairman" he stated coldly, but a smile was trying to sneak out.
Tamaki's shoulder drooped, and the man turned to Kai and Haruhi.
"Ah so here are the two honor students I have heard so much about! Come, sit!" he told them, and without saying a word they complied.
He was a decent looking man, and he seemed to have a very warm personality.
"We do apologize for not speaking to you sooner, sir" Kai said, bowing in apology.
He grabbed her hand with compassion moved by her apology.
Haruhi said,
"Yes, if not for you, we wouldn't be here right now. We are vary grateful, sir".
He grabbed two roses, and gave them to them. He then grabbed Haruhi's hand as well as Kai's, and stared at them with warmth in his eyes.
"Oh there are no thanks needed! Just be sure to call me...uncle!" he said, and posed dramatically.
Yep. He was definitely Tamaki's father.
Kai and Haruhi nodded awkwardly, and then turned around when they heard a growl.
"Father, could you please remove your hand from my little girls?" Tamaki said, glaring at his father.
"That’s chairman to you!" he said again, but cut off more when they heard a slap from across the room.
Kouya was on his knees, glasses on the floor. A tall older looking man stood above him, eyes cold.
"Is this how my son has been wasting his time? You are an embarrassment to the Otoori name" he told him, then walked toward Tamaki's father and shared words with him. The hosts rushed to Kouya, who shrugged them off and said,
"I'm fine. Not like I wasn't expecting it anyways". He said it nonchalantly, as he walked away back to his computer. Tamaki looked after him, guilt a heavy emotion on his face. His father grabbed his shoulder, and inclined his head toward the door.
"Now, look sharp boy. Your grandmother is here" he said, as he smiled and bowed to Kai and Haruhi in farewell.
Tamaki looked up, and then rushed to his grandmother.
"Grandmother! Would you like a table? Something to drink?" he asked her, bowing respect.
"Aww his grandmother is here" said Haruhi, smiling at what she thought was a cute moment.
"I hate that woman" muttered Hunny quietly.
Kai and Haruhi stared at him, alarmed.
"Don't patronize me. Filthy child" his grandmother stated aloud, and Tamaki's face went from excitement to blankness.
It got very quiet, and Kai looked over her should to see the twins standing behind her and Haruhi protectively.
"Lady Éclair, would you come here for a moment?" his grandmother asked, and a slender woman with blond hair and ice blue eyes walked over to her. She had a pair of binoculars in her hands.
"Well hello there, Tamaki" she said, voice like silk. Kai looked to her best friend, and saw her posture go rigid.
"Tamaki, you are to escort Lady Éclair for the next two days. Anything she wants you will oblige her. Do you understand?" his grandmother asking, staring at him coldly.
Tamaki paused for a moment, and then nodded. He bowed to Lady Éclair, and then looked to his grandmother.
"If that is your wish Grandmother, then I shall do it" he stated, and Lady Éclair smiled at him.
Tamaki grabbed Éclair’s arm and said,
"Come then Princess. Let us be off".
Éclair grabbed his arm, and they both exited the ball room.
The party resumed, and surprisingly without whispers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kai sagged in the couch as Kouya went to his computer. They were taking a break as the guests were leaving to go see other exhibits. More guests were to arrive later.
Haruhi had gone to change clothes, the twins had gone to the restroom to change as well, and Hunny leaned over Kouya and poked him. He, Mori, and Kouya were already dressed.
"Who was that lady, Kouy-chan?" he asked him, eyes worried.
Kouya stared intently at the screen, and read quickly.
"Her name is Éclair Tonerre. She descends from French royalty, and her family has been buying a lot of companies in Japan lately. Still doesn't explain what she wants with Tamaki though" muttered Kouya, and he paused to think.
"It doesn't matter because she is a bitch. And frankly, I very much don't like her" muttered Kai, and Hunny giggled. She went to one of the bathrooms to change into her costume. She was smart to keep it with her, unlike Haruhi who had left hers in the music room.
After getting changed, she stepped out. It was a white tuxedo with a long tail. It actually looked nice...since she was pretending to be a boy. Now if she wore it as a girl...she does probably belong at Lobelia.
Hearing wolf whistles, she turned face to face with the twins who were also wearing white suits. Normally, she never blushed. Even when the twins were showing a lot of skin at the beach or when they cosplayed. But in this case, they looked...dashing. She snorted mentally at the term.
"Not bad" they said together, and gave her a full appraisal with their eyes.
She looked at the ground, thinking of something intelligent to say. Damn it. Nothing came to her. She reached deep inside herself, and managed to speak.
"I- I think we need to-
Hunny took the chance to pounce on her and interrupt. Her blush was still plain on her face.
"Kai-chan your face is all hot! Do you have a fever?" he asked her, feeling her head.
"N-no! I'm fine!" she said, and rushed away from the scene, hearing the twins’ chuckles and Hunny's unanswered questions. She was so close to telling them.
Sighing in defeat for now, Kai and the others gathered their things.
They made their way to ANOTHER ball room (seriously, this place has more ball rooms then class rooms), and made their entrance. The girls went crazy, and they each went to go meet and greet.
After a few minutes, Haruhi joined them and descended the stairs. Boy, did she look pissed.
The girls all swooned at her entrance, and the other hosts complimented on her appearance.
"Hey, did you ever find the boss?" asked Kaoru, tilting his head in curiosity at her frowning face.
"Our king is currently lounging in the music room entertaining Lady Éclair" she said, her voice clipped.
"Well well well" said Hikaru, raising an eye brow.
"Sounds like someone is a little jealous" finished Kaoru, and Kai mentally hit herself. Haruhi was more than a little jealous. She was never hard to read.
"No, I just think he is being a bit more irresponsible than usual. You said it yourself Kouya Sempai! He is impulsive" she said, staring at the ground.
"True. But in this case he is merely obeying the whims of his grandmother" Kouya said, as he typed furiously on his computer.
"Now that you mention it, his grandmother was very cold to him earlier. Why is that?" asked Haruhi, and Kouya stopped typing.
"Everyone else already knows" sighed Hikaru, and Kaoru nodded.
"You see, Tamaki Sempai what you call an illegitimate" Kaoru said, and Haruhi gasped.
Kai looked up from where she was sitting, and saw the shock on her friends face. Kai herself was a bastard child. Of course, she wasn't raised in the type of society Tamaki was. Frowning, they each went to back to the party, all planning to talk later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
After the party ended, they each were going to go back to the music room to relax.
Before they met up, they each separately went to change. Kai, who changed quickly, stood in the hall and waited for Haruhi.
Humming to herself, she didn't notice someone come up behind her.
Feeling breath on her neck, she turned and was nose to nose with Kaoru.
Her eyes went wide, and she gasped. Chuckling, he took the chance to lean in and kiss her.
Before she could find any protest in her, all logical thought left her body and warmth filled her. She gripped onto him like a vise, hands twisting in his hair. Her mouth moved against his, and she felt the light tease of his tongue on her lips. She was unsure of what to do, but she was relying on instinct.
Before anything else could happen, he pulled away slowly and removed her arms from his neck.
She stared at him, somewhat confused and hurt at his actions.
Brushing her hair away from her face gently, he laughed quietly.
"I didn't want to get carried away" he said gently, not wanting to hurt her feelings in the least.
She nodded understandingly, and blushed as he grabbed her hand.
"I've missed you" he said, voice sincere as he stared at her face.
"I've missed you too. I didn't talk as much as I should have after Karuizawa. I'm sorry...I just didn't want to be like all the girls that fawn over you and Hikaru" she told him, wishing she didn't sound so pathetic.
He stared at her curiously and opened his mouth to protest.
Unfortunately, the door opened to the dressing room and they pulled their hands apart.
Hikaru joined his brother, and Haruhi came out and went to stand with Kai. Hunny and Mori came out as well, and Hunny chatted all the way until they got to the music room.
Upon arriving, Kouya was already there on his computer. Typical.
Kai still felt her lips tingle, and she went to sit on the couch to let her mind think.
Tamaki still had not returned and the hosts were beginning to get more concerned.
Hikaru and Kaoru then proceeded to tell the tale of Tamaki's parents, and how he came to live in Japan due to his grandmother’s deal with his mother.
Haruhi's eyes became misty, and Kai felt herself begin to cry. Mori handed her a tissue, and she dabbed her eyes.
She knew it affected Haruhi big time, because she was separated from her mother, even if it was by death.
"I can't believe it" muttered Haruhi, shaking her head.
"He's always so happy all the time" said Kai, voice in bewilderment.
"Even though his childhood was tough, it molded him to be the person he is today. Besides, he has always had us" said Kouya, and everyone nodded.
Just then, a door opened to reveal Tamaki. At his side of course, was Lady Éclair.
"Everyone I have an important announcement. As of today, Lady Éclair and I are officially engaged. Furthermore, the host club will be permanently dissolved after the Ouran fair is over. That is all" he said, and everyone got wide eyed. He and Éclair left, and Hunny's eyes began to tear up.
Kai looked at her best friend, and saw pure anguish. She grabbed her hand, and gave it a hard squeeze. Haruhi looked back at her, and closed her eyes to hold back tears.
Shit. This was just not their day today...