Pokemon Fan Fiction / Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon: The Mysterious Game ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Another chapter!
Chapter 12: Attack
 
The snow was deep and icy as they trudged up the mountain. But then, Hokkan was a country of perpetual snows.
Lara frowned and was about to melt the snow with Lekka Shinen when Gary reminded her that it would freeze over as ice and be even more slippery.
Koga was doing pretty well, as was Rudy, but Misty clung onto Brock's arm tightly as they continued clambering.
It was slow and annoying work.
 
“Too bad the snow is too deep for horses.” Oak remarked conversationally. He earned a few glares for the remark.
“Don't remind us…”
Rudy picked another boulder up out of their way and threw it down the mountain.
“Are you sure that's safe?”
“It's not like I'm going to start an avalanche or something.”
Silence filled the area as the mountain started to shake.
 
“Retreat!” Koga yelled, teleporting them all off the mountain. Snow continued to fall for another day.
The Suzaku seishi began to get worried. What if the shrine was buried?
No, it couldn't be.
 
Aya floated on a cloud as she waited for the Suzaku seishi to appear.
“What's taking them so long?”
“No idea.” Morty replied, busy crocheting a new headband of silky violet yarn. “But they're so disorganized.”
“I don't doubt it.” Aya said dryly. “Still… it's getting annoying.”
“Cold?”
“No.” Aya said as she watched the snowfall.
“Worried?”
“Not really, just bored.”
“…Just checking…”
“Are you concerned about me, Morty?” Aya asked in some surprise.
A faint blush stained the ghost master's cheeks. “Perhaps.”
“How sweet…” Aya said, impulsively giving him a hug. “I'll be fine, don't you worry.”
“I hope so. We can't afford to lose you.”
“Right. So we attack when they come out of the shrine. If that happens.”
 
Four backbreaking hours later, the Suzaku seishi finally made it near the top of the mountain.
“Yes!” Misty cheered, as they saw a boulder blocking a two gigantic iron doors. Immediately, Rudy powered up his energy and lifted it out of the way. With a clang, the doors opened, and inside the seishi trooped.
“Now where would the shinzaho be…” Misty wondered.
 
“Watch out!” Brock suddenly said, jumping in front of her. All of a sudden, something cold and icy bit into his body.
`Ice arrows.' Koga said grimly.
“Can the Seiryuu seishi have gotten here already?”
“Impossible!”
In the distance, two lights flickered on and off.
“Show yourself!” Misty demanded.
 
“As you wish…”
The lights cleared, forming into two people.
One was a girl in a simple black dress with long blue hair, and the other was a man with one eye covered with black hair.
“As you wish… I am Hikitsu.” The male said.
“And I am Tomite.” The girl added.
“Hikitsu and Tomite! But the Genbu no seishi died two hundred years ago!” Oak proclaimed.
“We have dealt with thieves who have tried to steal the shinzaho before. You are no different.” Claire said, as she let loose a Blizzard attack. It formed into a ring, encircling Brock's waist. The ice began to shrink.
Falkner nodded, as he shot ice arrow after ice arrow at the group.
“LEKKA SHINEN!” Lara said, canceling out his attack.
“Now!” Brock said, breaking the ring, which would have sliced him in two. At that moment, Koga let loose a wave of sleep powder. Lara nodded and charged Claire, intending to knock her out, while Rudy did the same to Falkner.
Or at least, they tried…
 
Misty's eyes widened as Lara and Rudy crashed through the two self-proclaimed Genbu no seishi and landed on the rocky cavern floor with a thump.
“What?!” Koga asked in shock.
“You two-!”
“We're protection spirits.” Claire, or Tomite, told them. “Sealed here to stand guard over the shinzaho.”
“We should finish them off, Claire.” Falkner said, as his seishi symbol flared to life, hidden beneath his bangs. “Let's do it.”
Claire nodded as they prepared to deal the finishing blows to the Suzaku seishi.
 
“WAIT!” Misty cried.
Claire stopped. “Just because you're a girl doesn't mean you are not in danger. If you hinder us we will destroy you as well.”
“There is a test…” Falkner murmured. “To see if you really are the miko.”
Misty paused. “Really?”
“Really.” Claire said quietly. “But will you take it?”
Falkner nodded, looking rather cruelly at her from behind his bangs. “Well?”
Misty nodded to herself. “Of course I'll take it!” She yelled.
“As you wish…”
 
Suddenly, two walls of ice sprouted from the ground, cutting Misty off from all of her teammates.
“Help!” Misty squeaked.
Brock began pounding on the ice, to no avail.
Lara attempted to flame it, but again, nothing happened.
Claire and Falkner both concentrated, and suddenly, ice began to wind up her legs, tightly, freezing her into an ice statue.
“STOP!” Brock yelled. “You'll kill her!”
Claire spared them a glance. “This is the test of Genbu. If she has Suzaku's protection, she will not die.”
For a few minutes, the ice statue remained silent. Brock feared the worst, but suddenly, it began to melt, until finally, Misty, soaking wet, but still alive, was revealed.
Claire nodded.
Falkner snapped his fingers as the ice wall went down. “You have passed. Suzaku's power saved you from death.”
 
“Come with us, we'll give you the Shinzaho.” Claire said as she and Falkner led the way to the back of the cave, where a small silver ring sat on a pedestal.
“This is the Shinzaho. Take it.” Falkner urged.
“You have freed us from our task.” Claire continued. “Thank you.”
They escorted the group out, and then, as they stared at the sun for the first time in two hundred years, they faded away.
 
Misty put the ring in her jacket pocket for safekeeping and smiled at the group.
“We did it!”
“Yes, we did.” Koga said, inwardly relieved.
“Now what?”
“The second Shinzaho is in Sailo. We must journey there next.”
 
“Not so fast.” An unknown voice cut in.
“Seiryuu!” Koga said, as Brock and Lara protected Misty.
“Quite right, Suzaku seishi…”
 
“Poison Rain!”
Suddenly, the sky began to rain… poison. How very unimaginative. However, Misty didn't think so, every time a drop hit she would feel a flare of pain.
Koga quickly erected a shield of protection, but he knew it wouldn't last long.
“LEKKA SHINEN!” Lara shouted, trying to hit whomever the seishi was. However, nothing hit.
 
“Weak.” The voice taunted. A few minutes later, the shield crumbled as Koga felt his power give out.
The last thing he saw was a familiar face.
 
“Koga!” Oak said worriedly. “You okay?!”
“He's fainted.' Lara said. “LEKKA SHINEN!”
Again, the flame attack missed.
Aya jumped over them, before grabbing Misty. “All right, priestess. Hand over the shinzaho.”
 
“NEVER!” Misty said, biting down on the nearest arm. Unfortunately, what her teeth hit was cold hard armor.
Aya apparently wore the same arm and hand guards that Koga did.
Aya snarled as she jabbed two points on Misty's neck, knocking her out, before flinging her over her shoulder.
Morty decided now was a good time to teleport her out of there before the Suzaku no shichiseishi reacted, so he did.
 
End!
Started 1/1/04, completed 2/24/04