Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Sorrow's Light ❯ Christmas Festival ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Well…yea...so yea, I don't own em…what of it?
 
Alright then, here goes the next chapter. Different, true, but at the same time I figure that it will be alright. I'm trying different things, and please, forgive me that the updates are taking so long. College started up, so it makes it difficult to do too much in the way of the story at this time, since I'm trying hard to keep up with school. I promise, though, to do as much as I can as fast as I can. Who knows? Maybe it will turn out alright…
 
 
Sorrow's Light
 
Chapter 2: Christmas Festival
 
 
Energy teemed ominously amongst the demonic realm's inhabitants. Tension was building as Taiki grasped at things with a firmer hand then before, resulting in less chaos. No one really understood Lethias at all, having seemingly gone insane from the last battle he had been in, an obvious result of the pure light he was hit with when he fought the Ronins, some said. It seemed plausible, but no one knew how or when to keep going
 
They wanted a victory, something to keep them together. However, Taiki seemed to have an obsession, the masses began to believe. He obsessed with the Ronins now, the female one in particular. Many demons put it down to revenge, but even at this level, it became a little too awkward and noticeable for the demons. They had limits as well.
 
“Sir, the troops have been placed. What should we do?” A dark, cloaked figure stepped forward, looking up at the “master” with his red eyes. Bright enough to hurt one's gaze, if stared at too long, they became a hypnotic tool, quite possible why Taiki had chosen him. Taiki looked up, his short black hair brushing against his forehead as he turned away from the table on which his food had been.
 
The young demon lord seemed to be no more then eighteen, if he were human, though his eyes spoke of a hunger that hadn't been filled in years. No one could figure out what it was that drove him, since he was no where to be found when his father led the first attack, yet here he was, ready to fight and fire away at an unknown cause and an even more uncertain tangent of success. A smile lit across his face, revealing an almost sadistic nature, as he nodded, “Thank you, Daimen. I appreciate it.”
 
The Yaika demon nodded, “I enjoy the praise sire, but may I ask what it was that you were watching?”
 
Taiki raised an eyebrow, turning his attention away from the mirror that had absorbed his thoughts till then. He turned merciless yellow eyes, the shade revealing amusement at the question as he nodded, “Merely our targets.”
 
Daimen stood stoically, taking in the information to himself, then picking out a reply, “Sire, if I may ask, why is it that we wait? Why not attack now?”
 
Taiki calmly replied, something Lethias would have never done, something that caused Daimen to shake in his boots as he listened to the man before him, “Well….simply put, I want to see that fire again. I believe that I shall let them have their holiday…Christmas, is it? Well, they shall have that, and then we shall attack them in force. I think that we give them time to drop their guard, and then fire at them while they are weak. However, I grow weary, please leave me now.”
 
Daimen bowed, leaving the room as bidden, not wanting to listen to any more as his master spoke of things that were believed beyond him. Stopping by the door, he watched Taiki look into the looking mirror, a small grin on his face, “Yes…that fire. I want to see that spark…I took it, but I know it's still there. Show me it….show me, and then we shall have fun, my little Light. Oh yes….you and the five of power…you will be mine.”
 
Daimen watched silently, holding the pendant that lay close to his neck. Shaking his head, she shifted the pendant in his hand idly as he walked away. Apparently, with Lethias gone insane, it left Taiki with an obsession. It was hard to tell when it would break out, but somehow it would. Brilliant the young demon was, compulsive, he was more.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
The morning shone brightly, leaving a smiling Mia in its wake. It seemed that the presence of that puppy gave them more then they could hope, since Lena put more energy into helping the poor thing then she could in mopping. The effects showed in the guys, who were now becoming more of their former selves. It became visible in the way Kento ate ravenously, and was loud and raucous again. Cye was once more the energetic cook, always everywhere like the older brother mother hen. Rowen, his nose still in the books, began playing his pranks again, that twinkle in his eyes at long last relieving the shadows. Sage had become more like himself, though more restrained. He didn't flirt as much, but the shadows in his heart were making way for the light as he began to smile once more, his meditation resumed.
 
Ryo…well, Ryo was definitely different. Mia smiled at the thought. Already the young man was embracing her again, surprising her at turns while they tried to hide their romance from the others. The guys knew of course, they always did. Lena, however, wasn't quite free from her reverie, still lost in a limbo that all of them were trying to pull her out of. Four days until Christmas, and she, Ryo and Cye had a plan.
 
Stepping forward, she smiled, seeing Cye cooking breakfast, thankfully given a respite from Kento for the moment was sleeping a little later then usual. Rowen wouldn't be up until they pried them from bed and Sage was in the back meditating as he always did at this hour.
 
Mia sighed once more, stepping down the stairs only to be grabbed by a wild set of arms, wonderfully tight. She gasped out then smiled, looking up at the mischievous Ronin of Wildfire. Ryo smiled, “Morning you.”
 
“Morning…” Mia's eyes danced as she looked to the side. The all knew it, none of them were really over the ordeal, but things were just being shown to them that things weren't going to be bad forever. As such, each of the guys were making their best efforts to erase the bad and bring in the good. It would be a while before they forgot, but burying their worries seemed like the best option to help them all. Mia shook her head, raising an eyebrow at Ryo, “Energetic today, eh? Well, Cye looks like he's almost done with breakfast…why don't you go get everyone?”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes, “Mood killer…but alright. I'm off!” He smiled, “If I don't return, keep my blanket as a hearty reminder of me….”
 
With that, he trotted off, giddy for a reason or another. He knew what was about to happen, and Mia smiled at the thought of his idiocy. Soon the sounds of Kento stumbling down the stairs could be heard as Sage's sarcastic reply came as he entered the door to head to the kitchen.
 
She headed up the stairs, just in time to watch Ryo wake Rowen by pulling the covers out from under him, causing the poor boy to fall to the floor in a heap and angry attitude. Moving forward, she opened the last door, knowing it would probably be better if she woke Lena. Walking over, she laid a hand on the girl's shoulder, shaking her awake. Lena grumbled, opening her eyes as she sat up, almost knocking the poor puppy beside her onto the floor. Mia laughed, heading out of the room. Today was going to be fun, most definitely.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~
 
Sitting back, everyone watch Mia in surprise and shock. Lena was the first to reply for once, “Say what?!”
 
The others glanced about as they watched Mia, some two hours after breakfast as she broke the news to them, “We are going to the festival at the square! It should be great!”
 
Lena just blinked. She hadn't even been to a festival in Japan before…how in the world was this gonna turn out. The guys around her were smiling widely, knowing how this was going to be. She blinked, suddenly tilting her head to the side in such a curious gesture as Mia turned her face to look at her with a glint in her eyes, “I know you haven't been to one here in Japan, so I have already arranged everything. Mama Rei Faun already helped me with what there was so…”
 
“Mama helped you?! How in the world?” Kento dropped his jaw as Rowen snickered. Ryo looked at him in his amused fashion, “You know Mia knows our families like we do.”
 
Cye just smiled, “I just made sure it got through buddy!”
 
Sage just smiled, walking over to where Lena sat, placing his hands on her shoulders as she looked up at him, “I promise it won't be that bad. They are actually pretty fun.”
 
Lena blinked, smiling slightly, wholeheartedly for once since that time in the USA. Sage caught it, smiling back as the others caught on. Suddenly, the day would get better…they were sure of it.
 
The girl turned her head to face Mia suddenly, smiling, “Two questions. First? Who's gonna take care of the puppy?”
 
“White Blaze can handle it!” Ryo said, cheeky as ever, “Next?”
 
Lena laughed, “What do we have to do to get ready?”
 
Mia looked at Lena, smiling. The girl suddenly looked like she did when she wasn't burdened, the happier tomboy they all knew. A twinkle in Mia's eyes sparkled devilishly, “Simple. We get ready in a few hours.”
 
Lena blinked rapidly, suddenly nervous as all the guys smiled.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Later that night, the five guys stood at the bottom of the stairs, similar to a dance so very long ago. Each of them wore yukatas that suited them well, and chatted amongst themselves.
 
“Looking forward to this?” Cye glanced at the others as they stood their, his arms shifting in the wide sleeves.
 
“Oh yea! Festival food!” Kento cried out, happier then anyone as he jumped up and down, causing a laugh out of Rowen, “There goes his pit for a stomach!”
 
Sage just laughed as Ryo looked up, the red of his Yukata complimenting his looks as the other's did theirs, “Well, I think it will just be a fun time…if the girls can get ready in time! Sheesh! They are like Sage sometimes!”
 
Sage shot a glare at their unofficial leader as Mia suddenly bounded into view, her cherry blossom pink patterned kimono on and she was ready to go, “Ready guys?”
 
“Yea Mia!” Kento cried as Ryo walked up, offering her his arm, “You look good, Mi.”
 
Mia just smiled as she looked up at Rowen's and Sage's questioning eyes, “Don't worry. She's coming…”
 
Right on cue, Lena' voice could be heard, “How do you walk in this thing?! I can't….get it….”
 
The girl appeared around the corner, walking slowly, trying not to trip due to her long strides. Purple fabric wrapped around her body in a simplistic kimono fashion with a pink petal design all over the cloth. A bow in the back showed that Mia had probably tied it for the girl, due to the fact that it actually looked nice. Lena just looked flustered as the guys watched.
 
Sage shook himself up, willing himself to stop staring as he heard Kento cry out, “Looking good, sis!” Sage rolled his eyes, offering her his arm, “Shall I escort you, my lovely lady?”
 
Lena looked up, seeing him in full Yukata, refraining from blushing as she nodded, “Alright….let's go.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“Wow, how do you catch so many, Cye?” Rowen looked over the Torrent warrior's shoulder in amazement as Cye kept coming up with goldfish after goldfish. Kento just grinned, eating what had to be his third caramel apple. Cye shrugged, “I don't know Mate…I just do.”
 
Soon, grasping the fish he had wanted, he stood, smiling as the three made their way along the area, stopping at various food stands and shops, buying Christmas presents or even just playing games. Kento looked over at the other two, “Think the others are ok?”
 
“Mia and Ryo will be fine…they've wanted to get alone for a while now, I think!” Rowen laughed out, his blue hair shifting slightly. Cye just rolled his eyes, “I'm sure Sage and Lena are fine as well. We split up to cover more ground and have some fun. Don't worry about it!”
 
Kento smiled, nodding, “Alright…but guys?”
 
Cye and Rowen looked at him slightly worriedly, “What is it mate?”
 
“I'm hungry.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~
 
“Wow….the night is beautiful….” Mia sighed, leaning against Ryo near the temple itself. Ryo just nodded, his arms wrapped around Mia.
 
“You sure you're alright?” Mia glanced up at him, turning slightly, “Something's bugging you.”
 
Ryo sighed, looking to the side, “You see...the thing is, how can we be having fun when things are coming to such a head? I mean, battle after battle, and here we are acting like nothing's going on. I don't get it…”
 
“Ryo…”Mia sighed, shaking her head as she looked up at him, “You have to have fun sometime. It reminds you of how there is life outside all that. I know you know that you can't live on what if, but what happened.”
 
Ryo smiled wryly down at her with a nod, “I suppose you're right…”
 
Mia just shook her head, “No…I know.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Lena looked out across the Koi pond, sighing to herself as she leaned over the fence, silent as her companion. Her thoughts ran along in her mind, wondering why she was still there and those who were her family weren't. She hadn't meant to sink back into this, especially since Sage and the others were trying to get her to have such a good time, particularly since Sage entered that mini contest to win her the rice paper umbrella. However, the stillness of the night, not far from the festival, left her with these thoughts, lost in an unbroken reverie.
 
Sage watched her silently, shaking his head to himself. He had to get her to knock out of that, somehow. She was sinking lower into sadness, her aura spoke of it. However, what was too much between them? They were close friends, people who could tell the other anything, she was like family to him but something else he couldn't place. Placing the thought aside to think of another time, he walked forward, placing a hand on her shoulder, “Lena-chan…what's wrong?”
 
Lena started, glancing up at him, offering him a small sheepish smile, as if she had been caught tripping in the kimono again like she had earlier near the fish stand. Shaking her head, she gave a nervous laugh, “Nothing…”
 
He just gave her a look, to which she responded, “Well…it's simple. My family is gone…shouldn't I be there instead of they? They shouldn't be gone…it isn't fair….not to them….”
 
Sage blinked at the whispers, and then sighed, quickly pulling her against him before he had second thoughts, “They aren't gone…”
 
Lena widened her eyes as she looked up at him as best as she could from against his chest. He continued, “They are with you always. You can talk to them…that gem around your neck enables you too….besides, your family isn't all dead. I mean, Maron in California with your aunt and uncles, and then…if you don't want to look so far…all of us are here. We are your family too…if you'd let us be.”
 
Lena blinked, getting the message. She understood. He cared, they all did, but he was worried. It put warmth in her heart, knowing that others still lived and cared. Life would eventually go on…and so would the pain. She sighed, wrapping her arms around him, “Thanks Sage…”
 
“Sure….” He smiled down at her with a nod, “Better now?”
 
“Yea…I do…” She smiled sappily, “I feel like we should be celebrating.”
 
Sage laughed, “We missed your birthday earlier this month…why in the world should we now?” he teased her then spoke, “Let's go get something to eat, maybe play a game or two?”
 
Lena smiled, “Sound good! Let's have some fun!”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“Are you sure?” Kayura asked her voice stern as she looked into the mirror.
 
“Yes…I'm sure. It looks like the attack will be soon…and huge as well if we aren't ready,” the voice spoke back as his hands fiddled with a pendant around his neck while Kale and Sehkmet watched on.
 
“This isn't good…definitely not good. Is the information reliable?” Sehkmet snapped.
 
“Of course it is! I wouldn't send it if it wasn't…the enemy is obsessed with the girl…no other way to say it. That's his goal, if not the power…”
 
“Alright Dais, thank you for the information. We'll get ready immediately and prepare for a full assault as you put it,” Kayura smiled wanly, “Just be careful out there. They don't know you…you don't know them.”
 
“I know that Kayura, leave it to me,” Dais nodded, the message going out. He sighed, turning away from the mirror. Now it was time to see what else he could dig up. Closing his eyes, he breathed slowly, an illusion popping up.
 
Turning, Daimen walked from the mirror, illusion in place once more, searching for what they needed to win this war.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~*
 
Author's Note: Alright, here is my cheesy chapter 2. I know, it was kinda funky, but I couldn't help it. I needed to have a happy moment before I slam out the bad. Writer's block and school are hitting me hard, so ideas are welcome. This chapter hasn't been edited yet, so it is subjected to change, I just felt that you all deserved to see what I had at this point so far anyways. Ok, last but not least, due to ffnet's rule about review responses, I can't post them up in this chapter. I will be posting them on Mmorg at a later time, but for right now I'm unable to. I just want to at least say thank you all for reviewing my chapters and stories, and sticking with me! Hopefully ffnet will release that ban soon!!
 
Hikaru