Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Sorrow's Light ❯ Bets and Transformations ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Well now, you guys know it. I don't own them, never will.
 
Alright guys, sorry for the time it took to get out the last one, but I hope that getting out this one makes up for it. I worked hard, and this one contains a great twist to it that I think will knock your socks off! Enjoy!
 
Sorrow's Light
 
Chapter 5: Bets and Transformations
 
Arrow and White Blaze led them to an area where dark energies surged before them. Widening their eyes, Rowen cried out, “What the heck is that?!”
 
Almost spherical in structure, the swirling mass was full of dark spiritual energy, something no one wanted to touch.
 
“Like we know!” Kento shouted, still awed as Cye almost took a step back, “I don't like this guys…”
 
“You're telling us…at least you guys don't feel it like I do. It's dark…evil…and I feel a familiar aura from it as well,” Sage whispered, his empathic abilities going haywire as he watched.
 
“Well guys…you know what we have to do,” Ryo said as Mia spoke up, “We have to go in?”
 
The guys nodded as Ryo turned, “Mi…stay out here. I don't want you to get hurt.”
 
“But…Ryo…”
 
“No. White Blaze, Arrow. Stay with her!” The animals nodded, obeying his command, stood close to the girl as they walked forth.
 
Together, they jumped into the swirl, ready to figure this one out together as a team, the way their strength had always been.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Sage looked up, seeing no more of the darkness, “What the….guys?!”
 
Around him was a familiar setting, something he hadn't seen in a while, and had never wanted to again. His arms where entrapped, bound to a yellow six point star, headphones once more on his ears. Before him sat the Armor of Halo. His eyes widened as a familiar voice spoke to him once more, “I am caught in this mansion, Sage of Halo. You are my only hope…come and save me…”
 
Sage's eyes widened in terror as he cried out in pain of heart, mind and spirit, as once more the Armor of Halo charged, its power ready to kill once more.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Cye awoke from the surge of darkness that had overwhelmed them all before as he glanced around, immediately frowning. Where were his friends? It didn't make sense.
 
Furthermore, why was he at his mother's pottery shop? It didn't make sense at all. Sighing, he heard a cry of anguish that tore his heart. Tearing into the building, he saw something that he never wished to have happened. Dynasty soldiers and demons alike were rampaging, his mother and sister already backed into a corner.
 
“Mother! Sayako!” Cye cried. He despised fighting, but this was far worse. Rushing forward, he began to fight again, trying with his heart to beat the creatures back. This was a nightmare. The problem was this was what he had feared since it had happened to Lena's family.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“Oh geez…figures hard head me would be left all alone…” Kento muttered, heading down the street, “Why in the world would I be here? I just don't get it. We went in to find Lena…not wander the city. How'd we get here anyways….err…how'd I get here…oh whatever!”
 
Silence followed him like a shroud, something he couldn't get into, but was alright with in the meantime. It meant that if anyone attacked, he could react right off, no worries. However, he didn't like how he was suddenly separated from everyone yet again. It just didn't seem right.
 
Fighting back the first vestiges of worry in his gut, he controlled his apprehension, “Man, what I wouldn't give for a burger…or fries. Now that sounds good…Maybe I can get Cye to cook me some when we get home. Yea….that sounds like a plan!”
 
Kento laughed to himself, following the endless area again, when he looked up and saw something he never thought to see. Above him lay the bodies Mia, White Blaze and Arrow. “No…this can't be…”
 
His eyes widened as he felt his gut drop into his stomach, a roaring sound in his ears as Yulie cried out, catching his attention to the side. The kid was being attacked by five monsters of evil aura. Widening his eyes, he leapt forward to pull the kid from the danger. But, something was wrong…when did Yulie appear? Ahh, hell. Worry about it later!
 
Turning to the side, he ran, fast and hard, trying to keep the one remaining member of his makeshift second family alive. Darting from side to side, he saw the demons that attacked the others bear after him. Oh…this wasn't good.
 
Fear tore at his heart, because, for the first time in his life, he had to run. Run, hard and fast from something not even he could handle. Just to save a child's life, and possibly his own, because one of the one thing these demons wore was something he never wanted to see. They wore the five armors of his friends that had just died, and were coming for his.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“Ok…now why am I here? No one else is here…this makes no sense,” Rowen said, his voice echoing off the walls of the empty dome he stood in. Blinking, the blue haired man removed his helmet, beginning to walk forward as his armor disappeared from his form. It just didn't make sense. Not even the warlords and Kayura would be able to have done this before they went good.
 
That in itself had always puzzled him, but he accepted it with open arms. They were good friends, if not terrible enemies before this all happened. Before that, he had been terrified of them, something he probably never wanted to live through again. Shaking his head, he shifted in his under gear as he walked out, hearing the clangs of weaponry against each other. Frowning, he ran forward to the noise, thinking that it may have been his friends when he heard a laughter he never thought he would hear like that again.
 
“Kayura! What are you doing here? Do you have any idea what is going on here?” He turned to the woman curiously, wondering if by chance she knew what was going on as she always did. But something was wrong, two twin Sais rested easily in her hands. His eyes widened as he took in her appearance and the Starlight Swords. Shaking his head in mild horror as he saw that she was dressed as she was in service to Talpa, he listened to what she had to say, “I am Lady Kayura of the Dynasty, Strata. Stand and fight me!”
 
Rowen turned his head to the side in time to glimpse a Ryo who had collapsed to the ground, “Ryo!”
 
“Fight her Rowen…I can't…”
 
He shook his head as his leader went unconscious. There was no way. Kayura was their ally, but the way things looked they were wrong. He had no choice. He cried out, “Armor of Strata! Dao Inochi!”
 
Nothing happened. His eyes widened as Kayura dashed after him. He pulled a desperate dodge, “Why can't I transform? It doesn't make sense!”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Soft footsteps fell on the ground as Ryo silently made his way forward, wondering what the heck was going on. None of this made sense. He would walk one way, and come back here, the cliff where they had all seen Talpa make his return speech. Shaking his head, his black hair shifted from side to side as he frowned, sitting down on a rock on the cliff. Hunching over, her glanced at the sky, still in his armor.
 
“I hope the guys are alright. I really do,” Ryo sighed, still tired from the earlier battle.
 
Shaking his head, he sighed, looking to the sky as an explosion landed near him. Leaping up, he instantly crouched into a fighting position, watching the area silently as his body tensed. Something just didn't seem right about this at all. The mind link still wasn't working, by now they could feel that it was blocked off.
 
Pulling out the swords of Wildfire, he held them before him as more of the dynasty soldiers rushed forward at him, “Aww, man! Didn't we already get rid of these creeps?”
 
Gritting his teeth, he darted forward, slashing one after the other. How did they become revived? There wasn't enough nether spirits. They made sure of that when Lena's powers awakened, hadn't they?
 
That was when he heard it. The voice that caused the pit in his stomach to drop even further. The evil cackle he never wanted to hear again.
 
“Well met, Ronin of Wildfire. Today, you will give me your armor!”
 
Talpa. Talpa was back!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Running, feet thudding on the ground, don't stop. Don't stop!
 
Lena panted, her feet falling on the ground hard and fast as she tried her best, tears running down her face from the pent up sorrow she still had from her family's death.
 
She couldn't fight them. No, she couldn't! How could anyone expect her to? Sure, they were mere corpses now, but this was a nightmare come alive. She wasn't the cause of their death, the guys had told her she wasn't. Mia had said so, her aunt had agreed!
 
Closing her eyes, she cried out, seeing how they gained on her, “Armor of Spirit! Dao Kitai!”
 
Once more, the priestess-like garb appeared around her form, the sleeves billowing from her arms, the sash tied about her waist. The armor on her legs resembling that of Halo's as the handles on her feet clamored. Hair tied back close to her head as the beads from her band upon her forehead clanked against each other as the feathers darted about. Her dark purple cloth seemed to become a blur as she headed out.
 
She ran at top speed, but the voices still came to her.
 
“Lena…why did you leave us to die?...”
 
She hadn't….no; she left on a trip they had approved…
 
“We are about to take you with us, can you deny us that?”
 
She had never denied them anything…but she couldn't give this. She had to live…didn't she?
 
“Lena, stop running. Embrace us…come to us…”
 
Why didn't it stop? Why couldn't they stop chasing her? She was running at the highest speed her armor produced. It was faster then the guy's for crying out loud! That was the trade off, faster then them, less armor for defense and less strength to lift things. She may not be able to bench press a bus or two, but she could beat anyone in speed. Yet, they still followed her! And wouldn't stop!
 
Finally, the voices faded, leaving her be as she stopped, panting for breath when another began, “So, you finally found me, Spirit.”
 
She looked up, her eyes widening, because standing before her, was a demon. Not just any demon, however, standing there was Taiki. Shaking her head, she stood, backing away slightly.
 
“Come now dove…why do you hide? I'm merely here to talk to you…aren't I?”
 
She frowned at that. She didn't like it at all. Finding her voice, she began to speak once more, “What are you here for Taiki? Haven't I enough nightmares to deal with?”
 
“Of course,” Taiki smiled. He shifted his head of blond hair to the side, wanting to spark that fire before he moved in. He had promised his father the power from her armor; he promised himself the spirit that lay within that entity of power. Unfortunately, to do that, he had to break it a bit, “But you run from your family…after all, you did kill them.”
 
Lena's eyes widened in shock as she shook her head. No, he was wrong, there was no way she had done it, “No! You are wrong!”
 
“How can I be? You are the one with the power…”
 
“You were the one who soiled your hands with their blood! It's your fault they aren't with me anymore!”
 
Taiki flashed a look of what he hoped to be pity, his heart stirring slightly in excitement. Oh, this was going to be fun, “Now then, dear. It's your power that I wanted. I merely killed them because of you…”
 
Because of Me…? Where are the guys? The spirits? Don't they usually have something to say? It couldn't have been because of me…
 
Lena clenched her teeth, “No…it wasn't because of me….”
 
“But it was. How would you know? How could you care about it, dove? Think about it, you were with the rest of the rats, killing and slaughtering my creatures and friends without a second thought. If I'm a murdered, then so are you…”
 
A Murderer? I can't be…but it…no! I'm not! But…it makes sense…”
 
Taiki grinned at what was going on, a sadistic light shining in his eyes like it hadn't before. He was winning. He could see it in the way the tears of denial sprang in her eyes. Definitely, victory was his. Just a little longer, and he should have what he wanted.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Mia watched the swirling mass before her, eyes wide as she prayed for her worst nightmares not to come true. She sighed, clenching her hands together as she sat on White Blaze, Arrow standing next to her. Nothing seemed to have changed, and the guys had been in there for an hour at least. That or she was loosing grip on her grasp of time. Then again, you never know. Either way, her thoughts taunted her with ideas that bordered upon insanity of her own. No matter how she tried, she couldn't figure it out, and that bugged her to no end.
 
Praying, for their safety, a familiar jingle caught her attention. Turning her eyes widened, “Kayura?!”
 
Kayura smiled as Cale and Sehkmet landed beside her. The lady nodded as the other two began to speak, “The Ronin runts went in, didn't they?”
 
Mia nodded at Sehkmet as Cale spoke up, “Figures. Can't ever do anything right. Should have frozen Halo when I had the chance, but then again, I was evil then….”
 
Kayura just glared at them as Mia went to her, “They went inside, Kaye. I don't know what's happened or what it is, but they've been in there for close to an hour at least. Either way, it doesn't bode well.”
 
Kayura's lips thinned into a line as she looked up, donning the subarmor she had. She frowned, examining the energy when she turned to Cale, “You know what this is? Darkness is your specialty, not mine.”
 
Cale's eyes shadowed over, reflecting his unhappiness, “Yea, I do. It isn't good either. Simply put, it's what Dais pulled off…”
 
Cale was interrupted by another voice. Dais, “The dark pit here on this astral plan causes you to relive your worst fears. Of course, if someone is controlling it, it could go beyond that. Torture isn't beyond what could happen…We have to get them out of here!”
 
Kayura nodded as Mia cried out in surprise. All of Mia's friends were in that vortex. This was no good at all!
 
“Alright…everyone back up…I will break it up!” Kayura cried, raising her staff up as the rings began clanging, chanting quietly. Light emanated from the staff like a beacon, shedding its holy strength about the area. Opening her eyes, she focused her power on the swirling vortex, and with that, slammed her power into it.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Talpa was back….no way! He had defeated him, him and his friends. They had nearly lost their lives as well. Ryo thought it was an illusion, he truly tried to believe that, but the battle was far realer then even Dais's illusions.
 
Thrust…swing…thrust…
 
His mind had become an endless repetition of things that were happening, creating a painful realization in his gut. He wasn't going to win. Maybe that was the point; get the Ronin Leader to give up. He was close…he just knew he was. Every hit he took made him forget more of his friends; every bruise became a painfully aware memory that this was something he didn't think he could handle again.
 
Closing his eyes, he was slammed back against a cliff face, staring up at the devilish form that Talpa had taken. His mouth in a thin line, he braced himself for what he was sure would be a terrible battle, a hopeless end.
 
He closed his eyes, ready to take a final blow.
 
That was when the clanging became heard. He looked up, his eyes wide. HE knew that sound, didn't he? It was the sound of the ancients.
 
Ryo…come back…
 
“I can't…Talpa…he's back…I need to call Inferno…”
 
No Talpa. Trust me…this is an illusion…come back…you can do it…
 
Come back…alright. Was that all it was. For an illusion, it felt real, but the Ancient had never let him down before. Closing his eyes, he concentrated, summoning his power as he focused on the light. Surrounded by a red aura, he began to fight back.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Punch, kick continue to fight. Choke back the apathy to it, continue to move. Sayako, mother…they had to be alright.
 
Cye glanced back at his only family, desperately fighting to keep them safe. He was locked in his own world of fear, afraid that his family would suffer the same fate as Lena's. No, this wasn't going to happen to anyone else! He would fight if he had to. No sense in trying to get around it.
 
His yari slashed upwards, taking out yet another Soldier, yet another Demon that was replaced by another. Nothing he did seemed to take the bite away from it. Panting, he fell slightly, only to get up. This was what he was afraid of. He was on the verge of exhaustion, Soldiers now holding him back against his will, about to lay into his family.
 
“NO!”
 
Cye yelled out as the clanging of the rings began to sound about the area, catching his attention.
 
Cye…listen to me…Torrent…you can fight this…
 
“No! No I can't…I'm stuck…Mother…Sayako!”
 
Stop it Torrent! It's an illusion…stay with me. You can handle this…
 
“Ancient one…how? They are going to die!”
 
No…they aren't. Cye of Torrent! Fight back!
 
Yes…fight back. That is what he would do. He didn't have a choice. Closing his eyes, he fought against the images of his imaginings as those of the illusion around him. Biting his lip, his light blue aura flared, showing that he too, was ready to go home.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~**~**~*~*~
 
“ARG!” Rowen cried, slamming back into a wall. Why was he alone? He was fighting Kayura along again. He couldn't win against her, he couldn't last time. This was too much!
 
Where were his friends? Better yet, where was his head! He couldn't like this. His quick brain had frozen, unable to get passed these panicked thoughts. Something didn't let him, and he wasn't sure what it was. Either way, he wasn't going to let this happen.
 
Kayura laughed, “You can't defeat me!”
 
No…maybe not…
 
“You are a fool to even try!”
 
He hadn't been called that in a long time…but perhaps he was…
 
“Just lie down and let me take your armor nicely! I'll even be quick in killing you!”
 
Killing him...well, it did make sense…they were enemies…
 
“Why, Kayura…we were allies….we were friends….”
 
“I have no friends!” Her evil laughter filled the air, “Merely ambition!”
 
Closing his eyes, he couldn't' figure it out. Maybe that was why he latched onto the only sound that was real. The clinging of those rings.
 
“I hear you Ancient…I'm coming…”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~
 
By now he knew…who those people were. The armors chasing him, and that was what shocked him the most. These were his friends chasing him! How could they?! They killed Mia…White Blaze…oh poor Arrow. What happened to them? Had the armors truly taken over?
 
None of them had been blood thirsty, but here they were, coming after him. Faced with deadly kantanas, No-datchi, bow and Arrow, Yari and Shikusen, he had no choice but to run. Yulie was his first priority, wasn't he?
 
Problem was, he couldn't use his armor, and the others were gaining on him. This was what he feared the most. Not being able to protect his loved ones, not being able to fight back, having to run. None of it was fair to him. None! And it scared Kento to the bone, like he had never been before. This was an illusion, it had to be.
 
When the clanging started, he nearly fell over, just in time to dodge the Shock Wave that was sent his way as he was deafened by Yulie's scream.
 
“I can't summon my armor! Oh god…guys! Why are you doing this?!”
 
Those aren't your friends Kento of Hardrock. You know this in your heart…
 
“Ancient? No, you are wrong! Those are their armors! That has to be them!”
 
But it isn't…this is an illusion, a fear construct. Battle your own wits, your friends wait for you to come…
 
“T-they are waiting for me? Well…I'll just have to keep them from waiting for this hardhead!”
 
Kento grinned, finally realizing this trick. It had happened to him before. He knew what to do. Believing in himself, his aura grew, his armor appearing as he fought through to the Staff's light.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Sage's violet eyes opened, now a dull grey. He couldn't believe this. Now people were dying because of him once more. All those people in New York and LA, and now Japan. He couldn't believe it…how was it that he was a killer. He couldn't be, he just wasn't, or so he had thought.
 
Now he wasn't so sure…
 
Clenching his eyes, he resisted against that voice, the one whispering to him of his power. HE couldn't take it, he was ready to explode. Quivering, he hid his mind from the pain, trying not to release his power, trying not to give in just as he had before. This was what they wanted; they wanted him to give in. He just couldn't. Unfortunately, this was breaking him. Endless thoughts of the dead crept in his mind, wavering as he thought of his friends and family, dead upon the ground as it had happened all before.
 
This was his fault….
 
No it isn't, Sage of Halo…
 
“Those clangs…Ancient?”
 
Yes…it is I. Listen to me, Sage of Halo; you are not at fault here.
 
“People are going to die!”
 
They will regardless…but not according to what is happening to you. You are not at fault…
 
“Yes…yes I am. I know I am. Just like last time…”
 
Think, young Samurai. Think back to when you talked to a young friend of yours about this…what did she say…?
 
Sage blinked his mind on what the Ancient was saying finally. His mind flashed back, remembering the discussion they had that night not too long ago. That night before all this trouble. Flashbacks rolled through his mind, memories playing there.
 
She shook her head, giving in to impulse and wrapping her arms around him in the most comforting gesture she could give, “You baka. You stupid idiot…it wasn't your fault…”
Sage glanced down at her as she whispered, doubt and loathing in his face, “No...I know it is my fault. Those people died because of all of that. I should have been able to control…to win. I was afraid…”
SO that was it…I see now. He was afraid…
Lena mentally grimaced at the Snow spirit's comments, but nodded to herself. It was right. Looking up, she smiled slightly, “No one can ever fault you for another's actions. Fear is fine…in fact, I'm glad you were.”
Sage looked startled, and was ready to refute her point when she put a finger to his lips, “No, listen to me my friend. The fact is that if you weren't afraid, then you wouldn't have been human. Sage, I'm proud of you.”
“Proud?
“Yes, proud,” She smiled at the shock in his voice, “Because you fought on despite those fears. Despite all the knowledge, you jumped forth and fought for what you believed was right. What I do believe, though, is that you are a total idiot for not realizing it sooner. Those people were not your burdens. What happened to them was an incontrollable factor, and it always will be. What ifs aren't going to help you at all…you are better off just getting the extra sleep. What's done is done, and well…O for one am glad you are still alive to come visit me. If not, I'd have to revive you so I could kill you again!”
Sage looked shocked, and thensmiled as the sense spoke tohis more sensible side. He nodded, thinking to himself as he looked up at the sky, no longer really seeing the shadows, but the various answers to questions he had that had just been given to him by talking to another person. Nodding, he looked at her, “Thank, but I think I will stay alive if it's the same to you.”
“I appreciate that,” Lena smiled, nodding.
 
Sage blinked, remembering that night as well as any other. Light seemed to warm his mind as the Ancient spoke to him once more.
See…? You aren't at fault…come home…
“Yes, Ancient one…I am on my way…”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
 
Lena was near in tears now. Everything Taiki said tearing at her heart like a knife, causing her to shake with fear. She was at fault for her family's death? She had to be, didn't she? They died instead of her!
All the guilt she had been dealing with before hand rushed back full force, leaving her almost as she was, fighting those feelings of doubt as tears ran down her face. Already, she was battling the demon, which seemed to be perfectly fine, battling her as he would his own. Wincing slightly as her hair snapped from the straps that held it behind her head, she felt the beads clank against her face in retaliation.
“DO you see the truth now child?” Taiki laughed, watching her closely.
“No! You are wrong!” She cried out, pulling the Shikusen before her, snapping it open with a flick of her wrist, ready to fight as she brought the other out from her enormous sleeves. Her speed apparently wasn't going to help her run. She'd face it head on! She had to.
Taiki's eyes lit in delight as he watched. That fire…it was back. Her defiance was addicting! He grinned, waiting to see what she would do. He knew that she was capable as the other warriors were, just not in the same functions. Oh yes, this was great fun! Time to call in the final card. He raised his hand to the air, hearing the shuffling of feet behind him, smiling as he was rewarded with her gasp.
“You left us, Lena…that isn't what a good daughter does…” Kaimen Fuire looked up, his form as decrepit as the one she had run from.
“No…” Lena said, stepping back.
“Lena, you have to be a good daughter to us. Come here…it will only hurt for a bit…” The dead form of Lavender Fuire looked over at her daughter, her once warm eyes cold and unfeeling.
Lena shivered, backing away.
“You killed us, Girl! We just want you to be with us!”
With them? No…she couldn't be. She was alive, they weren't. That was a simple distinction. She saw dead people all the time, their spirits always talked to her after all. She trembled, tears running down her face, her spirit about to break when she heard the clanging about her.
Taiki cried out, his plan falling to pieces, “No! Stop it you rat!”
Lena of Spirit…Listen to your heart…it isn't your fault…
“No…it is! I should have died. Not them! I know that!”
No, child. It isn't for you to say!
“I should have though. They say it…my parents are right here, searching for revenge against me!”
That isn't them, Child. Pay attention. You command the Spirits;do they feel like true ones to you?
True ones? “No…the jewel and I both agree
Then they aren't your parents…are they?
“No…”
Come home, Spirit. Come home…
Right…I'm coming. Friends…Ancient…I'm coming…
With tears still running on her face, she focused her aura to flare, creating a purple light about her form.
~*~*~~*~*~*~**~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kayura panted, the vortex beginning to wane under her steady light, then collapse completely. Mia gasped; there laid all six of the Ronins, armors battered as they were when they went in, but not looking like they had battled at all. For some reason, they looked more terrified then anything as they all sat up slowly.
“Ugh…what happened?” Kento asked.
The five looked at each other, clueless as they shook their heads in disbelief. Cale walked over, running a quick explanation as they shivered, reliving their fears was more then enough for them.
“Hey guys, where's Lena?!” Sage cried out, remembering the words that had been bespoken in his mind as he recalled their reason for jumping in such a vortex to begin with. Glancing over their shoulders, they spotted the person in question who was just picking herself up, a tumble of dark purple cloth and a mass of messed up brown hair that hid her pale face.
“Lena! You're alright!” Cye cried out as they ran over, Sage the first to kneel beside her and place a hand on her shoulder, “Lena?”
 
“I-I….” She tried to speak, trembling. The guys looked at each other. What had she seen in there? That was the question as she cried out, crying into Sages shoulder as she had when her family died, “I…I saw them…”
 
“Them…” Rowen asked.
 
“My…my parents…my fault…all my fault…they shouldn't have died…should a…been me….gulp…” She sniffled.
 
They began to piece together what had happened as Kento cursed under his breath, something that sounded close to damn bastard, but they weren't sure.
 
“Lena, it wasn't your fault. You know that girly, so perk up!” Kayura said, walking over and placing a hand on the girl's back.
 
“She's right…happiness is your best feature!” Mia said, smiling as Lena looked up, calming down as everyone offered their assurances, but it was one thing that made her laugh.
 
Kento was classic, “Man…I'm hungry.”
 
The guys rounded on him, breaking her from her lethargy as she felt a cold nose against her cheek. Turning, expecting White Blaze, she saw Arrow, fully grown. Her eyes widened, “A-arrow?”
 
The dog yipped.
 
“But how?”
Kayura walked over, “Simply put? I think it was the spiritual call between you two. While he was injured, he fed off your aura to heal, keeping himself alive. You fed it to him of your own will as well, if I recall…”
 
Lena just nodded, patting the dogs head with a smile. Seemed like she had an animal companion now too. Standing, she whipped the tears from her eyes as a maniacal laughter filled the air, increasing her doubts.
 
There, Taiki stood before them, folding his arms, “So, you defeated me, did you?”
 
Everyone watched him warily, Lena clinging to Kento's arm as they watched, Ryo pulling Mia behind him with a quick motion. The demon grimaced, “You defeated this part of my game…so I have another…But first!” He grinned, a bright light filling the area as everyone yelled out in pain.
 
When they opened their eyes, they were in the woods once more, where the battle had begun, the winds whipping about them as they stood, warily, a disembodied voice reaching out to them, “Now my doves…I have a game. I wish to play it, since you didn't like my last one. A month…”
 
“A month?” Ryo asked.
 
“Why yes! I give you a month to find, and revive the memories of your fellow Ronin Warriors, or you are all mine! This includes the Warlords and Ancient! Ohhh…this will be fun!”
 
Everyone's eyes bugged out, “Say what?!”
 
“Have fun my doves! The rules are simple, since I decided to be fair to make this more fun. Wildfire, your friend's memories will be gone, placed in lives I designed. You must find them, replenish the memories before time runs out, or I win. And I mean it, I win all…”
 
Ryo's eyes widened as he gripped Mia's hand, “Good luck, Wildfire. You'll need it!”
 
“Say what?! I'm not letting him do this!” Kento cried out.
 
“My heart leaps for joy,” Rowen shouted at the demon, “Let's try a different game!”
 
Cye frowned, raising a hand to block the wind from his face, “This isn't good…”
 
“The wind's getting worse!” Lena yelled out, running into Sage, who gripped her against him.
 
The warlords cried out to themselves as the light about them increased once more, sending disorientation through each of their bodies like a wildfire. Kayura, Mia and everyone experienced it as darkness consumed them without being able to protest the wager that this sick Lord had placed…
 
“Remember Wildfire…I'll be there too….”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*
 
Ryo groaned out, opening his eyes to look at the ceiling above him. This was different. Since when did Mia have canopy beds? And why were a tunic and breeches lying on the table in the middle of this ridiculously large room?
 
Sitting up, he glanced side to side at the large room he had been sleeping in when he heard a pounding on the door. Whipping his head to the side, he called out, “Yes?”
 
“Lord Sanada, it is time to get up. Your fellow lords will be here shortly!”
 
Ryo's eyes widened. Fellow lords? Then…that meant…he was in the medieval era!
 
“Ahhh…Shit,” He whispered to himself, leaning forward onto his knees. This wasn't good. Memory hit him in a flash, recalling the wager his friend's lives were staked upon. A rumble at his side caught his attention. Smiling slightly, hope festered ever so much. Looked like White Blaze was still with him. Maybe he had some hope after all.
 
Day one had begun.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
AN: Whoot! Longest chapter I have ever written! And I know it needs tons of editing, so don't be surprised if I pull it off and change it around! However, this is where it gets hard. I've wanted to pull this twist for a long time, and now Ryo has to find all of the other ten members of his group in thirty days…Hehehe. This should be interesting, shouldn't it? No one will remember who they were, so well…here goes nothing! Hope you liked it!
 
Hikaru