Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ To Remember ❯ Michael ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 6: Michael


Sendai-
Ryou-


Xiu was let out first when Seiji finally found the new Phoenix Rising.

“Man,” Xiu looked out the window at the building as Seiji pulled into a rare parking space outside the front of the building. “Mama and papa sure have gone upscale.”

By ‘upscale’ Xiu meant that they now had a sign in the window. The building itself looked exactly the same as the first Phoenix Rising, but that didn’t surprise Xiu. His family weren’t ones for change. There were small differences, naturally. The curtains were a different color. Ryou liked it, all the same. Ryou had only been in the Faun family’s restaurant once, but that one time had been wonderful. It was just like a home should be, filled up with people and talking and lovely smells of cooking. Ryou looked up and saw that there was an apartment above the restaurant, so the family must still be living there.

“You want to take your bag?” Shin asked, leaning forward over Xiu’s shoulder. “I’ll grab it while you say sweet goodbye’s to Seiji. We all know you can’t bear to be apart for more than three minutes before you start going into withdrawal.”

“Shut up.” Xiu swatted at him, good-naturedly. “You’re just jealous.”

“Of you or him? Either way…ugg.” Shin shuddered slightly. “Please. As much as I like you both, you’re really not my type.”

“Oh?” Xiu smirked at him. “Then who is your type?”

“Do you want your bag or not?”

Ryou and Touma both had to stifle their grins as Xiu won the little verbal play. It didn’t happen often and never so quickly before.

“Why bother?” Xiu leaned forward and planted a kiss on Seiji’s cheek, but only got an warm smile in return. Seiji had never been big on public affection. “We’re still meeting at grampa’s place, right? I’ll just meet you there. About seven, I guess…” Xiu’s voice trailed away when he looked out the window again, this time his gaze focusing on a man standing outside the front door, leaning against the wall. He wasn’t all that impressive looking, but something about the man shocked Xiu and everyone felt his shock. “Michael?”

Seiji raised an eyebrow when he followed Xiu’s gaze. “And who might this be? Should I be jealous?”

“No,” Xiu told him, distractedly. “I just haven’t seen him for a while.” There were images of this Michael person coming from Xiu. Images of the man as younger and laughing, picking up little Xiu and helping him clean his bedroom. The fondness Xiu felt for Michael was unmistakable. “Not for at least two years.”

Seiji was no longer looking at Michael, but at Xiu with a little frozen smile on his face. Whatever Seiji was feeling, he kept carefully hidden. “You had a crush on him.”

There was no denying the deep blush that crossed Xiu’s cheeks. “Ummm…”

Shin, who had been leaning over both Ryou and Touma to get a look at the man in question, gave an appreciative look. “You always did have good taste, Xiu.”

“He’s old, man. Like twenty three.” Touma protested. “Maybe more.”

“Ages means nothing. Xiu, what’s he look like without sunglasses?”

“Beats me. I’ve never seen him without them. But,” He said this specifically to Seiji. “Just so you know, he’s a friend. Nothing more. I’ve known him since I was seven. See you tonight.” He left the car and made a beeline to Michael. He was happy and for that they were all glad. Going home was a tense enough situation, at least Xiu had a friend to talk to if things got rough.

Seiji watched with a serious expression until Xiu turned around and waved at them, telling them to get going. DON’T WORRY. HE’S A FRIEND. GO ON.

IF YOU’RE SURE. SEE YOU TONIGHT? Seiji thought in return.

OF COURSE. Xiu abruptly closed his mind to only Seiji, but Ryou thought very little of it. Xiu and Seiji often did that.

There was a moment of silence before Seiji blushed a little and pulled the car away from the curb. It was with great reluctance that Seiji did as Xiu told him to. He didn’t look happy about it, but he trusted Xiu enough to know he’d call for help if there was anything wrong. “Shin, Touma. You guys need anything before we stop at your place?”

Touma shook his head and crawled into the front seat where Xiu had been. “Nope. Moms always have everything.” He fell silent and it was no wonder. Touma’s reason for returning to Sendai was just as nerve wracking as Xiu’s wanting to reconnect with his family. He’d been more sedated than normal during the whole trip, thinking about what could happen and what he would find when he went to visit his dad.

I LOVE MY DAD. Touma thought when he sensed Ryou’s attention on him. I DON’T CARE WHAT HE DID. I DON’T CARE IF HE REALLY WANTED TO KILL ME. HE’S MY DAD. I CAN’T JUST FORGET HIM. But he seemed sad, almost guilty. Guilty for loving his dad. That was a reason to be sad.

Ryou didn’t know how to reply to that. He didn’t love his dad, he never had. To be honest, he didn’t even remember his dad. The first time he’d seen his dad in years had been the nightmare when he’d walked in and saw doctor Date, Seiji’s mom, dead with Lai, Xiu’s little sister. He couldn’t find it in his heart to forgive or even try to understand his dad. Ryou kept these kind of thoughts strictly to himself. There was no reason for Seiji to worry about it, he had enough to think about when it concerned their dad.

Shin’s moms lived just a few streets away from Xiu and when they reached it, a bright smile spread across Shin’s face. “Home.” He muttered. The house was small and an actual house with a small yard surrounding it instead of the apartments many Japanese families had. That was one of the many benefits Shin enjoyed just because his kaasan was a geisha, one of the best in Japan. The car door was open before Seiji had even stopped the car, something Shin had a habit of that annoyed Seiji to no end, and Shin shouted to his moms when they came out of the house.

Maybe it was Ryou’s imagination, but Shin’s mum looked like she’d gained weight. Not that he was going to say what he was thinking or let Shin pick it up. There was no need for it. “See ya in a few hours.” Shin and Touma chorused when they piled out of the car. Like Xiu, neither of them took their bags, either.

Seiji waited until they were all in the house before he looked at Ryou over his shoulder. “Just you and me, little brother.”

Little, indeed! “I might be older than you, ya know.” Ryou pointed out as he moved to the front seat.

“Maybe. So,” Seiji pulled away from the sidewalk and his voice softened, something that always happened when he got serious. “Where did you want to go? That creature that was in your bedroom might still be after you. I don’t like you going off on your own.”

“Careful. You’ll get to be like Shin.”

“You’re the only brother I have.” Seiji didn’t look at Ryou when he said that. “I have to protect you.”

“I’m a warrior, too, remember. I don’t need to be protected.”

“Maybe. But we don’t know what that thing in your bedroom was and you did say you met some strange person at the rest stop. I don’t suppose you’ll come back to the dojo with me.”

“After I’m done.”

“Then will you let me come with you?”

Ryou thought about it, but just this once he wanted to be alone. “Not this time. Sorry.” After all, Ryou had his own memories to revisit. “I’ll tell you the way. Turn left…”



Seeing the grimy windows and the graffiti decorated door didn’t hurt as much as Ryou had thought it would. The Holy Shepard Home wasn’t his home anymore. It was just a building. Still, he stood outside and stared at the door for a long time. How many times had he walked through that door knowing that he’d open it to see Sister Jo mopping the floors and Byakuren prowling amongst the cots. Granma, if she was feeling sprightly, would raise herself up on one elbow and smile when he walked in. Holy Shepard Home wasn’t home, anymore, but it did have some strong memories.

He tried to open the door, but found it locked. Bishop Brannon must have locked it after Sister Jo had left. While he probably could have just broken the door down - in this neighborhood no one would have noticed - Ryou went to the window and used his hand to wipe away some of the grime. Peering inside was depressing, but not really surprising. Dark and shadowy, the shelter was empty. Everything had been removed from the cots to the tables, right down to the throw rug. Everything was gone.

‘I wonder where people go who need it? Maybe another shelter’s opened up nearby.’ But Ryou doubted it. He hadn’t seen one while Seiji had driven through the neighborhood and he couldn’t think where they’d put one close enough to be of any use to the people in the area.

“You look fitter than the last time I saw you.” Jack Lung stood behind Ryou looking just as he had when he’d picked Ryou up off the streets and delivered him to Bishop Brannon. “You look like a frightened rabbit. Come on, lad. You know I’m not someone to be afraid of. I’m just the delivery boy.”

Ryou swallowed the lump in his throat and sucked in a deep breath of foul city air. It was Jack Lung, a soft-spoken, well-dressed man, who’d been directed by Shit-Face to where Ryou was. Suddenly, Ryou wished he hadn’t been so stubborn and let Seiji stay with him. Privacy didn’t seem to matter so much anymore. “What do you want?”

“I was just passing by. Bit surprised to see you, though. When you vanished, I thought you’d gotten lucky and was able to just leave. Didn’t think I’d see you back here. Looking to start up that business again? I suppose I could hook you up with a few clients for find you a manager.”

“Manager?”

“Pimp is such a low-class word, don’t you think?”

Ryou took a step away. He was sure that Jack Lung was telling the truth, he wasn’t going to hurt Ryou. That didn’t mean Ryou trusted him, not even after all the sympathy the man had shown him when he’d walked Ryou to Bishop Brannon’s house. Ryou could feel his chest start to tighten at the thought of what he’d done, even though the reason for selling himself had been a very good one. This was part of his life he hadn’t wanted to reconnect with. “I have to go now.”

“He’s dead, you know.”

Ryou stopped and frowned at Jack Lung. “Who?”

“I always thought it was you who’d done it. Why, the Bishop, of course. That night I took you to him a fire burned his house to ashes. From the way you acted when you saw him, I presumed that you’d met before.” Jack Lung regarded Ryou with mild curiosity. It wasn’t the kind of look one would get if one was suspected of murder. “I thought you set the fire when things got too rough. You were new and I guessed that it was your first job. Maybe he got out of hand and you couldn’t take it. Anyway, the house burnt to the ground with the good bishop inside. Dead as a doornail and crispy as a French fry. Never saw you after that night, so everyone just kind of guessed it was you. Was it?”

“How do you know I wasn’t around?” The thought that Jack Lung might have been looking for him, horrified Ryou.

“I keep my eyes open.” Jack Lung said with a vague shrug. “You seemed like a nice kid. I’d seen you with Yoko and Joji and sister Jo was a good woman, she mentioned you a few times.” He laughed. “Don’t look so betrayed. She didn’t know who I was. She just thought I was one of the locals. She was very fond of you.”

“I…” He was going to say that he didn’t kill anyone, but suddenly, he wasn’t sure if that was the truth or not. “I never meant to hurt anyone.” Even if he had really wanted to. If he’d said that he hadn’t done it, Jack Lung wouldn’t have believed him. Better to pretend he had done the crime, that way the rumor would spread and his reputation would get a boost.

Bishop Brannon was the kind of person who should have been killed long before Ryou had ever met him. He was the worst sort of predator. He wasn’t like Byakuen who would hunt for food, but he hunted for the pleasure he would get from the pain of his prey. It was good that Bishop Brannon had died, but Ryou found himself wondering, ‘If I didn’t do it, who did? Maybe I did do it. Things were a little fuzzy that night.’ He remembered, very clearly, walking with Jack Lung to Bishop Brannon’s house and what Bishop Brannon had done to him. Sometime during the nightmare, when Bishop Brannon was still laying on top of him and the pain was nearly unbearable, things started to get blurred.

“No one means to hurt anyone else. Well, alright. Some people do, but I don’t think you’re one of them and I’m very good at reading people. An accident. Or you were just frightened. One or the other. It doesn’t make any difference to me, either way. I was just curious. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.” Jack Lung tugged on his shirt sleeve and smiled cheerfully at Ryou. “It’s odd seeing you here again. When people get out of a place like this, they don’t normally come back. I’m not the only one that noticed you.”

Ryou felt himself pale against his will. Who else? He didn’t remember having any real enemies. But if his memory about that night was foggy, then what else was he forgetting? After all, considering his talent with fire and how enthusiastic Rekka was, causing a fire while being raped wasn’t unthinkable.

“Well, see ya, kid.” Jack Lung waved and spun on his heel. “You don’t have to worry too much. Your first client is dead. That guy who directed me to you is dead. How many enemies can you have?” Then he was gone, having turned the corner.

Shit-Face was dead, too?

Ryou felt a surge of glee. They were both dead. The nightmares that had haunted him for so long were dead! Ryou put the palm of his hand against the cool glass of the large window and silently thanked sister Jo for all she’d done for him. Ryou wished he knew where sister Jo was so he could thank her properly, but this was the best he could do for now. ‘Now for granma.’



The graveyard was desolate, but well cared for, and Ryou found his granma’s gravestone easily. Kneeling before the solitary stone, Ryou wondered if he’d succeeded in making his granma proud of him. Going from unwashed street boy to one of the saviors of the world would surely have made her proud. Maybe her spirit was smiling down on him. There was no sign of the vandalism that had marked the gravestone the last time he’d visited.

“I miss you, granma. Date-san and doctor Date did well by you. They took care of all the arrangements. Did you know they’re family? Took me by surprise. Date-san is granpa. I don’t think I’ll be able to call him that to his face, though. It doesn’t seem right. You’d like Seiji. He’s a lot like you, I think. He’s strong and very smart. Doctor Date was killed. I suppose you know that, huh? I wonder if dead people meet each other wherever it is that you go. I hope you’re happy, granma. I love you.” Ryou was shocked that he’d made it through that without crying. His eyes were burning and his stomach hurt, but he wasn’t crying. “I’m stronger now, granma. I have friends and a home. No matter what happens, you don’t have to worry about me.” Ryou stood and bowed solemnly to the gravestone. “I’ll come visit. I promise I won’t stay away too long.” Then he stood and turned to leave. Seiji and granpa were expecting him and before he went to the dojo, he had to drop by at Shin’s house and then at the Phoenix Rising as they’d all agreed to walk to the dojo together.


Phoenix Rising-
Xiu-


Michael hadn’t changed in the years since Xiu had last seem him. He was still tall and lanky, with a gentle face and soft hands. When he had been younger, Xiu hadn’t thought it was odd how much he liked Michael’s hands. He could remember being very small and Michael would pick him up and hold Xiu on his lap in the kitchen while other grown-ups would come and talked to papa, though Xiu had never really paid them any attention. Back then, he was too busy playing with Michael.


FlashBack-


Xiu peeked around the corner, into the restaurant’s main room. The people were still sitting very quietly around the tables which papa and mama had pushed together to make one bigger table. There were six of them, four men and two women. One woman was very old with kind, sweet eyes. The other woman was young and very beautiful with long, silky hair and sharp, hateful eyes. The men were also very different from one another. One man was older than papa with his dark hair graying at the sides. One man had very brown skin and long coarse hair tied into hundreds of little braids, a gaijin. That man was smirking slightly at a man across the table, someone built like the wrestlers Xiu liked to watch on TV with bright red hair. They were all so still and silent, watching each other with such burning intensity, that Xiu thought they must hate each other.

A hand landed on Xiu’s shoulder and he looked up, shocked to find a young gaijin with dark glasses smiling down at him. “You Xiulei? Papa Faun send I to find. You mama want you.”

His Japanese was laughable, but Xiu only managed to hold off the laughter. He would have laughed if it weren’t for the guests just around the corner. More than anything, Xiu didn’t want their attention on him. Besides, Xiu’s mama and papa said his Chinese was horrible, so what right did he have to be laughing at other people? “Who’re you?”

The young man thought a moment, apparently trying to translate. “My name is Michael.”

“Don’t you have a family name?”

“No.” He held out his hand and Xiu took it without fear. The restaurant was closed and there was no one in the building that his mama and papa didn’t want inside, like papa’s guests. That meant that Michael must be a friend.

They walked together upstairs where Xiu’s papa and his very pregnant mama were talking in hushed voices. Mama’s face burst into a radiant smile when Xiu and Michael came to the top of the stairs and found them. “There’s my boy.” She waddled away from papa and awkwardly bent over to kiss Xiu’s forehead, which he much resented seeing as how his new friend, Michael, was watching. “I see you two have met.” She gave Michael an approving look and that, more than anything, cemented Xiu’s opinion that Michael was a friend. Mama always knew best. “You be nice to Michael. He’s going to be staying with us for a while. Now, I know what you’re going to say, he talks funny.” Her gaze turned stern. “Well, I’ll tell you this, be polite! He’s only been in Japan for a few days and I think he does pretty well since he’s only started studying a little while ago. He’s going to help you while I’m away.”

“Away? In the hospital?”

“Yes.” She patted his head and brushed his hair behind his ears. “It won’t be for long, but the doctors are worried. They just want to make sure everything’s okay until the baby’s born. Don’t you worry about a thing. Papa’s just got some business to take care of and then we’re off. You’ll stay here with Michael and do as he says. No need for you to come along, you wouldn’t like the hospital, anyway.”

“Now, now.” Xiu’s papa spoke up with a smile that didn’t look quite genuine. “You’re making a fuss, you’ll worry him. Michael has excellent references.” He, too, beamed down at Xiu. “The restaurant’s going to be closed until you’re mama’s well enough to work again, so maybe a couple of months.”

Mama scowled, unhappily. “We’ll see about that.”

“Yes, well…until she’s ready, there’ll be no business here, so you and Michael will have the run of the place while I’m at work.” He looked at the stairway behind Xiu and Michael. “You didn’t bother my guests, did you?”

“No, papa.” Xiu promised. “They don’t look very happy. Are you sure their friends?”

Papa laughed at that and headed downstairs with mama holding his arm. “Friends? No. They’re just people I know from the business.”

“The bank?”

He laughed again. “Stay with Michael, Xiu. Don’t go downstairs until Michael says it’s alright.”


End Flashback-


Looking back on their first meeting, Xiu had known that Michael had been young, though he‘d never really thought about it. Michael couldn’t have been more than fifteen or so when he’d first met Xiu and looked a good deal older now. He’d gotten taller and more muscular, though not much. His hiar was the same sandy blonde color and he still wore those stupid sunglasses. Xiu had told Shin the truth, earlier. He’d never seen Michael without the sunglasses. Michael looked the very picture of casual relaxation as he leaned against the wall next to the front door of the Phoenix Rising with a newspaper in his hands. Those hands…

Xiu blushed, looking at those hands. He’d always liked Michael’s hands.

Michael hadn’t stayed just a few months, as Xiu’s papa had said he would. He’d stayed for nearly seven years until Xiu was fourteen, just a year before he’d met Seiji. In those seven years, Xiu had developed his first crush, which he’d never told Michael about, of course. So, Seiji was, as always, right. The crush had faded while Michael had been away and been almost forgotten the first moment when Xiu had laid eyes on Seiji. Xiu almost felt guilty for forgetting Michael, but in all honesty, he couldn’t compare to Seiji. No one could.

“Ah, boya.” Michael lowered the newspaper a bit when he saw Xiu coming towards him. “Long time no see. Your old man didn’t say anything about expecting you.” He looked over Xiu’s shoulder and commented. “You’ve made some new friends. Mama Faun said something about you living with a bunch of boys somewhere out in the country. Sounds nice. I’d rather live out with the trees rather than a city like this. Can’t get a breath of clean air.”

It seemed that Michael’s Japanese was nearly perfect. He always had been a bit of a chatterbox. Xiu turned to wave at Seiji and the others and didn’t miss the fact that Seiji was watching him cautiously. DON’T WORRY. HE’S A FRIEND. GO ON.

IF YOU’RE SURE. SEE YOU TONIGHT?

OF COURSE. MAKE SURE RYOU COMES. YOU KNOW HE’S A LITTLE FLIGHTY SOMETIMES. Xiu meant no offense to Ryou, of course, but it was true. Ryou tended to get wrapped up in whatever he was doing and forget what he should be doing. IF I HAVE TO GO LOOK FOR HIM IN THAT NEIGHBORHOOD, YOU’LL OWE ME SOMETHING BIG.

I MIGHT JUST HOLD YOU TO THAT. There were all kinds of sly little innuendoes in Seiji’s parting remark suggesting what, exactly, was the big thing he would owe to Xiu and what he would hold Xiu to. It was enough to make Xiu blush as Seiji’s green car was pulling away.

“Hey, hey.” Michael prodded Xiu in the arm to get his attention. “Xiulei! You still with me, boya?”

“Huh?” At least Seiji’s car turned a corner and Xiu looked back at Michael who was peering at him from over the top of his sunglasses. “Oh. Sorry.” It was good to see Michael again. He looked the same as ever, right down to the black ring he always wore. “When did you come back? Mama never called me.”

“Not surprising. I only got here about an hour ago.”

That he was standing on the sidewalk, alone, shocked Xiu so much that he instantly grabbed Michael’s arm. “What are you doing out here, then? Come in and get something to eat! Have a seat and rest. Mama’s gonna be furious if she finds you out here. You know how she is about guests.”

Michael only laughed and pulled his arm away from Xiu. Well…he tried to pull his arm away from Xiu. Michael kept smiling when he tugged on his arm again and Xiu, not realizing what he was doing, just held on. There was a moment when Xiu could almost see Michael’s curious eyes behind those dark glasses. “Boya, you’ve gotten a bit stronger since I last saw you. Mind letting go? I’m actually working.”

How could he be so thoughtless? Xiu let go of Michael and hoped he hadn‘t actually hurt Michael. He‘d never forgive himself if he had. “What? By reading the paper? I thought you went back to America. You can‘t be back as my babysitter. Are you here for one of the kids?” That actually made sense. Considering what had happened to Lai, Xiu could understand it if mama and papa decided that they needed more protection for the kids.

“Go on in and see your old man.”

Xiu frowned. “Why won’t you tell me?”

“You should really see your papa.” Michael never outright lied, but he did tend to step gingerly around truth. This was obviously something he thought he shouldn’t be talking about and, therefore, he politely told Xiu to go away. “He’s been waiting for you. Your mama and the little ones are upstairs, but your papa’s in the main restaurant.”

The shades had been drawn and that only made Xiu more confused. They’d only just opened the new restaurant, why would they close in the middle of the day? “But…”

“He wants to talk to you. I’ll be out here if you want to talk later. I’ll be relieved in a couple of hours, so I‘ll come find you if you’re still around..”

Xiu was getting a funny feeling about this. He just didn’t understand what Michael’s job could be that he would have to stand around doing nothing but holding the newspaper. It worried him even more that something strange was going on in his family and no one had seen fit to tell him about. “Can’t you tell me anything?”

Michael kept up that smile and shook his head. “Come on, boya. You know I can’t disobey your old man. He signs my paychecks. Orders are that you go inside and see him. I’ll give you a bit of advice. Be on your best behavior.”

“I’m not seven anymore.” But why should he be on good behavior? “Who’s in there?”

“Guests. Just trust me on this. You still trust me, right? ” There was something very serious behind Michael’s smile, something that made Xiu pay a little more attention. “You know I’d never do anything that would get you hurt.”

Xiu couldn’t argue with that. Michael had spent too many years taking care of Xiu to ever make Xiu doubt his loyalty. ‘He held me when I had nightmares and bandaged up my scraped knees. He’d never hurt me.’ So Xiu went inside while Michael went back to his paper.

The main part of the restaurant was empty with all the chairs on the tables. It was very much like the old Phoenix Rising, but it seemed that Xiu’s mama and papa had decided to expand. There were a few more tables and the kitchen, from where Xiu stood, looked almost double the size of the last one. All this stress was wearing on Xiu’s nerves. Bad enough that he was coming home for the first time after the war, but he just knew there was going to be a confrontation about Seiji. Xiu didn’t like fighting with his papa, it always left him with a bad taste in his mouth and his stomach in knots. Family wasn’t supposed to fight family. Xiu had always believed that. Xiu had been dating Seiji for quite some time before the war or even the yoroi had appeared, but he’d kept it a secret from his family because he knew his papa’s opinions of homosexual people and he hadn’t wanted to deal with it. However, when he’d woken up after a fever and found out that his papa had found out the secret and nearly chased Seiji away for good, Xiu knew he couldn’t hide anymore. A confrontation was inevitable.

That night was still a nightmare. ‘I can’t believe I stood up to papa like that.’ He’d been caught up in the moment, the heat of anger and fear of losing Seiji had stilled any qualms Xiu had about arguing with his papa. No matter how much they’d yelled at each other that night, Xiu was glad he’d done it. Despite how angry papa had been, he’d gone to the courthouse and spoken up on Seiji’s behalf.

‘Wait.’ There was something Xiu hadn’t thought about in a long time. Xiu set down his bag on the counter as he remembered what had happened when Seiji had stood up at the end of Touma’s trial. When papa had spoken for Seiji the judge had paled as if he were afraid. ‘Why would papa make anyone afraid?’


Flashback-


"Your honor?" Seiji called out and drew attention from not only the judge and bailiffs, but also from his friends.

"Yes, young man?" The judge seemed to think for a moment. "You're that Date boy, aren't you? You just spoke up for your friend."

"Yes, your honor." Seiji answered. He walked up to the judge's bench before throwing a stern warning to his friends. He could feel that they wanted to stop him or at least go to stand with him and try to justify what Seiji had done. "I want to confess to something I did and, since it's so like what Touma did, I thought I may as well do it here. Yesterday morning, when I went to the Phoenix Rising, I found my father had killed two people including my mother. I had my sword with me and killed him."

The judge sat forward, a disbelieving look on his face. "Did I hear you correctly, young man?"

"I think so, your honor."

"Do you realize the magnitude of what you're saying?"

"I believe so."

"You must be confused, young man. I know the dead man was your father, but you didn't kill him. Perhaps your friend's case has affected you too deeply to think clearly."

"I don't understand, your honor."

"Faun-san called the police when he found his daughter and your mother had been murdered. When the police arrived, they'd found your father…er…decapitated, but you didn't do it. You couldn't have."

"What? But..."

"Date-san," The judge said, compassionately. "Perhaps you'd like to speak with a therapist. We have a few of them here, on call. You've lost both of your parents in the most horrible way only a few hours ago. In all honestly, I'm surprised that you'd come here at all. You really should be resting in private with your family. Young man," He leaned forward so he was closer to Seiji. "The police have determined that after your father killed your mother and the little girl, he killed himself. You had nothing to do with it."

Seiji's confusion was impossible to hide. "Your honor...?”

Before anyone could stop him, papa Faun stood from where he sat by mama Faun and made his way to the judge's bench next to Seiji, looking very imposing next to the slender Seiji. "Your honor, I believe the young man needs a good deal of rest. If you don't mind, I think his grandfather should take him home and put him to bed. We can talk about a therapist in the morning, after he's had time to grieve. In fact, he's welcome to come when I take my family to a family grief counselor." To both Seiji and Xiu's dumbfounded amazement, papa Faun put a fatherly arm around Seiji's shoulders. "He's almost family, after all."

The judge, when he'd seen papa Faun emerge from the crowded audience, had gone deathly pale and nodded obediently. "Yes, of course. Faun san, I didn't expect to see you here, today. My condolences on the passing of your youngest."

Papa Faun nodded stiffly, clearly not wanting to talk about his family's loss in public. "Thank you. Now, if all this business is cleared up...?"

"Yes, certainly. Have a good day, sir." The judge was nearly babbling as he bid papa Faun good-bye.

When they returned to where everyone was waiting, Xiu stared at his papa with a wide-open mouth. "Papa, what was that all about? Since when have you taken up bullying judges?"

"It's something I really don't want you to get involved with." Papa Faun gave Xiu a stern look. "Let's just say I've made a few connections in my life and a few people have owed me favors." He turned to Seiji, whom he still had in a half-hug. "For now, I give my blessing to you two. If you hurt my son, Date Seiji, be warned, I will hurt you."

Seiji nodded dumbly, probably too shocked to say anything.


End Flashback-


Papa never did tell Xiu why he’d helped Seiji, though Seiji really hadn’t needed much in the way of help. Though he’d spoken the blunt truth, the judge hadn’t believed him.

Xiu found his papa in the main area of the restaurant where the customers would normally sit, but, like the first time Xiu had met Michael, the main area wasn’t empty. There were seven people around the tables, each one looking as hostile as the first time Xiu had met this group. They weren’t all the same people he’d seen before, though the old woman still smiled cheerily and three of the men looked the same. The dark skinned man had cut off his braids at some point.

“Ummm…hi.” Everyone had turned to look at him the minute Xiu had walked in.

Xiu’s papa stood up and motioned Xiu to his side. “Allow me to introduce my eldest son, Faun Xiulei. Xiu, these are business associates of mine. Mr. Baxter. Lo-sun. Hirum. Madam Lau. Miss Shaw. And, of course, Lady Kushi.” This last he said with great respect and a low bow to the happy old woman. “If you’ll excuse me for a moment, I need a word with him in private.” They left the room quickly, Xiu obediently following his father, for once.

“Have I interrupted something?” Xiu asked, keeping his voice low for fear of having the guests overhearing. “I saw Michael outside.”

“Yes. Michael. He’s part of the reason why I wanted you home.” Papa Faun was normally a very self-assured man, never one to question what he was doing or his reasoning. Now, he was fidgety and nervous. “Look, you’ve done some things I haven’t approved of.” He held up a restraining hand when Xiu would have protested. “No. Let me finish. You and Date-kun…well. You know my feelings about that. We won’t go into it. I want you to know what I have to say has NOTHING to do with Date-kun or your relationship.” He took a deep breath and put his hands on Xiu’s shoulders. “I’m making Michael my heir.”

Michael? “You’re disowning me?” Xiu felt a pain deep in his chest. He’d known that this was a possibility when he threw his love for Seiji in his papa’s face, but…Michael was replacing him? What had happened while he was gone? Xiu prided himself on his strength, but he felt weak in that moment. His head spun and all the blood in his body sunk to his feet and his stomach twisted in a painful knot of lead.

“No!” Papa Faun gave Xiu a shake. “Don’t think that! No matter how angry I am, you’re still my son!” Then he let go of Xiu and stepped away. “There are parts of my life I’d never meant you to get involved with, neither you nor your brothers and sisters. I certainly never wanted your mama to get involved. This is just one of them. Xiu, you’re my eldest and I’m very proud of you, but…you just aren’t the right sort of person to handle the business.”

The hurt began to be replaced by anger and Xiu bunched his hands into fists. “Not the right sort? Papa, mama’s been training me all my life to run the restaurant. I know everything and you’re going to give it to Michael?!”

There must have been something funny about what Xiu had said, or maybe it was the way he was pacing in the kitchen. Xiu’s papa laughed. “This isn’t about the restaurant. The Phoenix Rising is still yours. My boy, you’re not very swift. No. I didn’t mean to insult you. Son, you are your mama’s heir. Not mine. Her money and her restaurant will be yours.”

“I don’t understand.”

The laugh was gone and papa Faun looked tired. He rubbed a hand over his face and his shoulders dropped a little. “Those people out there are all leaders of sections of the tong. Lady Kushi is the head of all the organizations in Japan. I’m the head of the Sendai section.”

“The tong? You’re lying.” His papa wasn’t a killer, Xiu knew that for certain.

“I’ve been the head of the Sendai section for a long time, years. When I met your mama I was a soldier for Lady Kushi. She hand picked me for this position. Working in a bank is a sort of side job, to make me look respectable to the neighbors. Your mama knew, but I never wanted you kids to find out. I never wanted you to inherit my life.” He smiled wearily. “Michael’s known for a long time that his life would be in the tong. He came to us from the mafia in America when he was fifteen, around the time you first met him. I’m sorry I never told you, but…Xiu. Where are you going?”

“Upstairs.” Xiu didn’t break stride when he spoke. “Michael said mama and the kids were up there. I thought I’d say hi.”

“Wait a minute, there’s more you should hear.”

Xiu stopped in his tracks and looked over his shoulder at the waiting tong bosses. He hated them all. They’d taken his papa away and Xiu had never even noticed. What kind of things had papa done? Had he ever killed anyone? With a shaking hand, Xiu closed the kitchen door soundly and kept his voice carefully low. Seiji would be so proud of him. “You think you can shock me?” Xiu couldn’t remember ever being so angry before and even when he spoke he could feel everyone else curiously and worriedly poking at his mind, trying to figure out what was wrong. “I showed you the orb. I showed you the yoroi. I am Kongo. I have faced death in many battles you can’t even imagine. I’ve fought demons. I’ve gone to the youja-kai and walked out again. I’ve seen the fate of this world if I fail, if I allow myself to die, or if I fail my friends and one of them dies, every soul in this world is lost. I’ve faced the evil in my own soul. You think you being part of your little gang is going to upset me?” Xiu forced a laugh. “What do you use to fight? Guns? Threats? Maybe a knife? It’s all pathetic. I can shake this planet. One word, one thought, and I could crack this world like an egg.”

The look of disbelief and horror on papa Faun’s face as he realized the true extent of Xiu’s power wasn’t as satisfying as Xiu had hoped.

“I’m gonna go see mama. Then I’ll leave. I’m staying at the dojo. Date sensei invited us all. Have your little meeting. The politics of mortals means nothing to me.” Then he left, striding right passed his papa’s visitors without so much as a glance.

DO YOU NEED ME? Seiji’s soft thought wafted through Xiu’s mind, but he pushed it aside and didn’t answer. As much as he might need Seiji, Xiu wanted some time to think, first.

He went upstairs and reunited with everyone, just as he’d planned to do when he’d gotten out of Seiji’s car. The kids all ran to him and he was reminded, painfully, of Lai’s absence when she didn’t try to climb on his back like she always did. Xiu’s mama gave him the biggest hug of all, nearly knocking him off his feet. As always, there was great comfort in those big arms of hers and Xiu let himself be held. They talked for a bit. Talked about Seiji and the trip to Sendai. His mama asked Xiu about Nasutei and life in the country. She told him about Chung and Wing’s last birthday and the big street fair he’d missed. She noted that he looked older for all that he’d only been gone a few months and nearly wailed at the time she’d lost with him.

Neither of them mentioned the meeting downstairs, Michael, or Kongo.


Ryou-


He’d forgotten that he had to pass Hana High to get to the new Phoenix Rising. If Ryou had remembered, he probably would have gone a longer way and just apologized to Xiu for being late. As it was, he was upon the high school before he realized it and stared at the throng of students being let out for the day. He recognized some of the faces, to his surprise. There was a girl he’d sat behind in home economics. A boy he’d passed everyday in the hallway. Familiar faces of people he might have been friends with if he’d stayed at school longer.

‘But maybe not. I wonder…was it coincidence that my only friends all turned out to be chosen by the yoroi? Maybe it was destiny.’ Ryou disliked the idea of destiny. Most of his life had been out of his control and Ryou had just flowed along, trying to survive as best as he could. The thought that he would never truly be in control of his life frightened him more than any demon could. ‘I’ll fight. I’ll live and I’ll die to protect my friends, but it’s my choice! My decision!’ To think he was nothing more than a puppet acting out a script made Ryou very, very angry.

Passing the high school turned out to be less of an issue than Ryou had feared. No one gave him more than a moment’s glance, they were too busy talking about the last test or what they were going to do after school It wasn’t until he was all the way passed . It wasn’t until Ryou had passed through the crowd of teenagers and passed the high gates of the high school that he started to relax. Naturally, it was then that trouble found him.

“Well, would you look at who it is.”

Ryou turned at the hated voice and found Akira and his little group of cronies hanging out on the basketball court. It was the same place they’d ambushed him the last time Ryou had seen Akira. That was the wall Akira had held Ryou against when he’d threatened to rape Ryou. Though he felt sick being in the place, Ryou held his ground and considered Akira. After battling Arago, the boy didn’t look nearly so threatening. ‘Why was I intimidated by him?’ Through Akira was nearly a full head taller than Ryou and had to be about a hundred pounds heavier in pure muscle, he just didn’t compare to even one of Arago’s foot soldiers, let alone the ma-sho. Why, he was down right puny when compared to Anubisu. ‘I’m thinking about him a lot lately.’

Akira pushed himself away from the wall and sauntered over to Ryou, glancing around cautiously as if he expected someone else to be with Ryou. “So, Little Orphan Annie, where’s your friend?”

Only after that question did Ryou remember the awful things Akira had said about Seiji and Xiu. That must be it. He was worried that one of them had come with Ryou. If Akira had known what Ryou could do, he wouldn’t have had the courage to even look Ryou in the eyes and that gave Ryou some comfort. Ryou gave Akira the one fingered salute and started to move on. “I haven’t got time for you losers.”

“Oooo!” Akira called, tauntingly. “Little Orphan Annie’s gotten a big opinion of himself since he lost the stutter. You know, no one thought you’d be back when you all disappeared.” He glanced up and down the sidewalk again. “Where’s your freak? That blue-haired punk let you off your collar?”

There was real venom in his voice, but that did nothing but confuse Ryou. The only blue haired friend he had was Touma and what the Hell was that about Touma letting him off a collar? “What are you talking about?”

Akira held up a hand in front of Ryou. The hand was at an odd, unnatural angle, bent at the wrist. “Your friend broke my wrist, you little bastard! It never healed right.”

“Touma?”

Akira blinked then barked out a harsh laugh. “Hashiba? Don’t be stupid. Who brought him into the conversation?” He turned his back on Ryou and went back to his waiting friends. “Look, just keep your scarred up fuck-buddy away from me. I won’t go so easy on him next time.” But his hand was shaking when he spoke and Ryou knew Akira was afraid.

Ryou walked on for a little while. Blue hair? Scar? There was only one person Ryou knew who fit that description and the idea of connection that person to the words ‘fuck-buddy’ made Ryou feel ill. ‘This isn’t right. It’s a mistake.’ But it was true Ryou didn’t remember certain things. He couldn’t remember a space of time between his altercation with Akira and waking up in Seiji’s home. Something had happened and left him feeling very sick, but Ryou had no idea what. He couldn’t remember what had happened after going to Bishop Brannon. He didn’t remember setting fire to Bishop Brannon’s house. That little person, Bion, had mentioned Anubisu. Seiji said someone was in Ryou’s bedroom.

A sharp pain struck Ryou, a throbbing pain deep inside his mind. It was so awful that he put both hands to his head and gasped aloud. The pain lasted for only a few minutes, but it seemed like a long time to Ryou. He stood, half hunched over with his hands at the sides of his head and stars dancing in his vision until the pain began to fade.

When his head cleared, Ryou realized he’d lost control and let his shield slip. Shin and Touma, at Shin’s moms’ house, were worried and Xiu pushed against Ryou’s remaining defenses, asking what was wrong. Only Seiji remained silent, though Ryou could feel that Seiji was just as worried as the others.

I’M ALL RIGHT. HONEST. He tried to reassure everyone. JUST…SOMETHING HAPPENED. How else could he describe it? Anubisu? Ryou felt sick to his stomach. It just wasn’t possible. ‘But all things are possible. Isn’t that what Seiji says? What if, before the war, something happened? Those periods of time Ryou couldn’t remember had to be important, somehow. Why would he forget them if they weren’t important?

Before Ryou knew it, he was at the Phoenix Rising and there was the same man they’d seen reading the newspaper outside, still leaning against the wall, apparently finished with his paper. When Ryou walked to the door of the restaurant the man moved to intercept Ryou.

“Sorry, restaurant’s closed.” He said, smiling brightly.

“I’m not here to eat. I’m looking for Xiu.”

“Xiulei-chan? Hmmm…” He frowned a little and seemed to be examining Ryou from behind his dark sunglasses. “Would you be Data-san?”

“No. I’m Sanada Ryou.”

“Oh. Never mind, then.” He turned to the door, as if he’d open it, but Xiu hurried out and seized Ryou’s arm, hauling him away.

“Bye, Michael. Tell papa I’m going out, would ya?” They left quickly with Xiu setting a pace as if he were being chased. He didn’t look at Ryou, but one look at Xiu’s face showed he was very unhappy about something. Whatever it was, Ryou knew from the grim look on Xiu’s face, would have to wait. Xiu was in no mood to talk at the moment.

Ryou hurried to keep up until Xiu let go of his arm and even then Xiu showed no signs of slowing. “Xiu? Are you alright?”

“Yeah. Nothing I won’t survive. You? That pain was something else. What happened. I’m sorry, I wasn’t really paying attention before that. Things were happening.”

I’LL TELL YOU WHEN WE GET TO THE DOJO. Ryou promised. Seiji would dig for the details, if nothing else. There were just too many people on the streets to talk about personal things and there was no point in using mind speak when they were all going to be together in just a little bit, anyway. LET’S GO SEE HOW SHIN AND TOUMA ARE DOING, HUH? So far, Ryou wasn’t enjoying this trip very much. He was beginning to wish he’d stayed at home with Nasutei and Jun. Catching pollywogs with Jun was starting to sounding pretty good.



To be continued…





I’ve been remiss in thanking reviewers. I want you all to know that I do appreciate you taking the time to write me even the shortest message. Thank you.

Split Persona: I’ll try to put plenty of Seiji in this story, he’s a favorite of mine, too. Our dear Troopers will be in the story, every one of them. I’m not yet sure who Seiji’s religion will affect this story, but I’m sure it will, somehow. You ask so many questions and I’d love to answer them all, but that would ruin the story. Thanks for reviewing. I hope you enjoy the rest.

Dosu: Hi. Glad you liked it. I’m still working on WCII, but I’m afraid this one comes first. Like most of my stories, WCII will be written, but at the moment I can’t promise when. I liked your comment about Ryou taking the spot light off Naaza. Can I presume you’re a Naaza fan? My friend said the ma-sho were taking too much attention off Ryou. I can’t seem to please anyone, huh? Don’t worry. I’ll try to give them equal time.

Zorra: Hi. Just to let you know I do read your comments. I’ll do my best to write about Ryou and Seiji’s brotherly relationship, to see how and if it develops.

Anime Huggler: I’m glad you liked the Lady-Queen. I wasn’t sure how readers would react to her, seeing as how she’s an OC.

Sunny: So happy that you liked Rajura’s flashbacks. I LOVE writing flashbacks.

Xxkurenaixshixx: I wasn’t really planning another part of the story, but a friend asked me to do another part. I hope it turns out well. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story.

Yami Flo: Actually, I had finished the story. Twilight Sky was supposed to be the last, but a friend of mine REALLY wanted to see how Ryou and Anubisu’s story would end, so I thought I’d give her another dose. After this one, I’m going to work on the final part of my Fruits Basket crossover with Petshop of Horrors, Long Denied: Unity of Family