Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Second Most Nerve-Wracking Day Of My Life ❯ Getting Ready... aka Chaos! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Second Most Nerve-Wracking Day of My Life

A Romantic Comedy by: Serenity-chan

POV = * *
Thoughts = ' '
Speaking = " " (Did I really need to say that?)

Chapter 2
(Or "Getting Ready... aka Chaos!")

*Souzou*

I honestly have no idea how I survived the next few hours...

First, I was practically dragged to the one store in town that sold Western clothes. That in itself was pure torture. Midori had got a look at a Western tuxedo and thought it would look good on me. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was crazy and that I would look ridiculous.

As I tried the thing on again for some last-minute alterations, my stomach turned and I felt slightly faint. Just great, I had got myself so worked up that I was probably going to be sick. But I didn't and soon enough I was being dragged out of that store, to my relief.

'I'm just going to have to get used to this, aren't I?' I thought sardonically as Touya pulled me toward a carriage service.

Not a minute too soon, I was back home to get ready. My heart was racing a mile a minute as I took a quick bath, then went to my room to dress. Taking deep breaths to steady myself, I gave a quiet sigh.

'Well,' I thought resolutely, my expression becoming a peaceful smile. 'I am about to become the happiest man on earth...'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Midori*

Once my mother stepped in and took the lead, the chaos of only seconds ago seemed like a distant memory. I had stopped being hysterical and was sitting on a cushion in my under kimono, being nagged at to stay still. Nanaka was doing my make-up while my mother tried to work my unruly, stress-ruffled auburn-brown hair into an elegant bun.

"Alright, base done," said Nanaka. "Eyeliner?"

"Check," I replied promptly, having been through Nanaka's make-up routine several times.

"Black or brown?" asked Nanaka.

"Brown," I said immediately, not wanting anything too dark or dramatic.

"Check?" asked Nanaka, showing me the eyeliner.

"Check," I said, closing my eyes and trying not to wince.

"Eyeliner done," Nanaka declared. "Eye shadow?"

"Check," I said, blinking rapidly to get used to the strange feeling of eyeliner.

"Light brown or dark brown?" asked Nanaka.

"Uh... Dark," I decided, pointing to a pretty sable brown.

"Check?" asked Nanaka, holding up the eye shadow just to be sure.

"Check," I said emphatically, forgetting about my hair problems and nodding.

"Midori-chan, for the hundredth time, sit still!" my mother said wearily.

"Yes ma'am," I said automatically, closing my eyes for Nanaka to do my eye shadow.

"Setona, could you run to my room and get the you-know-what I told you about?" said my mother, giving a command in the form of a question.

Setona, who had been hanging around running and fetching things the whole time, jumped up again and dashed from the room. We all heard her thundering down the hall, then opening a shoji with a crash. In a few seconds, the same shoji banged shut and she ran back down the hall. She skidded to a stop beside my mother and handed her something I couldn't see. I heard a box being opened and felt a comb being worked into my hair, now in a bun.

"Midori-chan, I wore this comb in my own wedding," whispered my mother. "When you have a daughter of your own, give it to her on her wedding day. My mother got it as a gift from my father and she gave it to me when I married your father."

I jumped up, nearly tripping over Nanaka, who yelped indignantly and tried to rescue her make-up. My mother caught me up in a hug, avoiding my hair and face, with tears in her eyes. I sniffled a little, but she pulled back and shook her head.

"Now is not the time for wedding-day tears," she said with a smile. "You'll ruin all of Nanaka's hard work."

"That's right!" Nanaka chimed in.

My mother laughed and squeezed my shoulders.

"You know full well that this will be the happiest day of your life," she said softly, one hand under my chin, urging me to hold my head up high. "Let it show!"

I smiled and was quickly pulled back onto my cushion by Nanaka.

"Eye shadow done," she said in a playful-businesslike tone. "Lip color?"

"Check," I said automatically, falling back into routine; right now it was just girl time.

"Red or pink?" asked Nanaka, holding up a wide variety of shades.

"Pink," I said firmly.

Alright, so I was still an innocent little girl at heart.

"Pick one," said Nanaka, holding up more shades of pink than I knew existed.

I pointed to a soft dusty-rose shade.

"Nice choice," agreed Nanaka. "Check?"

"Definitely," I replied emphatically.

"What do you say?" asked Nanaka, her tone jokingly ominous.

"Check," I said in monotone.

"Good girl," she said, patting my shoulder.

I stayed as still as I possibly could as my best friend did my lips in dusty rose.

"Lip color done," she said finally. "Check?"

"Check!" I said happily.

"Mirror check?" asked Setona, popping up with the mirror she had swiped out of my room two weeks ago.

"Check," I said, noting her disappointment that I pretended not to notice the mirror. "Oh, and give me that mirror back, you little weasel!"

Her eyes lit up and she laughed, handing me the pretty silver mirror. When I got a look at myself, I didn't know what to say. It was weird. I looked like a totally different person, not like myself. But as I scrutinized my appearance, I saw familiar features.

I noticed that I had features from both my parents. My thick, wavy brown hair had definitely come from my father. Setona had raven black hair that hung straight to her shoulders. Both my parents were slender in build, so Setona and I were too. But what stood out most was my bright violet eyes. Though Setona had inherited our father's black-brown orbs, no one could ever deny that I had my mother's eyes.

'You're the best, Mom,' I thought.

"You'd better believe it!" she laughed.

"Did I actually say that out loud?" I asked sheepishly.

Everyone nodded.