Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Second Most Nerve-Wracking Day Of My Life ❯ Midori, Nearly A Bride ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Second Most Nerve-Wracking Day of My Life

A Romantic Comedy by: Serenity-chan

POV = * *
Thoughts = ' '
Speaking = " " (Did I really need to say that?)

Chapter 4
(Or "Midori, Nearly A Bride")

*Midori*

My mother, my sister and my best friend had helped me into my wedding kimono and got themselves ready in record time. Though everything was done quickly, it didn't look like we were in any hurry at all. While Setona and Nanaka helped each other into the carriage, I hung back and caught my mother for a private talk. There was one question that had been bothering me since the wedding plans were finalized.

"Mama?" I asked, addressing her as I hadn't done since my father passed away. "Who's going to walk me down the aisle?"

"Your grandfather," she said with a sad smile. "The one who gave your grandmother that comb. Now let me tell you one thing. Your father would be so proud of you today. And he would think you look beautiful."

She wiped a single tear away and put her arm around my shoulders without a word. The two of us went out to join Nanaka and Setona in the carriage. I sat by my best friend, who also happened to be my maid of honor. Setona, my bridesmaid, sat beside my mother with an odd look on her face. Her expression seemed torn between joy, wonder and longing. I wanted to ask about it, but knew not to. When Setona was quiet like that, she just wanted to be left alone.

'Could she be dreaming of her own wedding day?' I thought.

"You nervous?" Nanaka asked me quietly.

I gave her a shaky half-smile and nodded. She poked me and I swatted her hand half-heartedly. She tilted her head at me, concern along with barely-suppressed excitement obvious in her expression.

"Come on, Ri-chan," she wheedled. "Perk up, pal! Be happy!"

I showed her my 'cat-girl' smile, as she had so kindly nicknamed me, and looked like a smiling tiger.

"Ah, come on," she urged, poking me again.

Her face turned evil and she looked away for a moment.

"So you aren't going to smile for Souzou?" she asked in pretend disbelief, knowing perfectly well what my reaction would be.

I swatted her, for the poke and the... comment...

"That's my Ri-chan!" she said proudly, swatting me back as her little joke. "You feel better, pal?"

"Thanks 'Naka," I said just like I always did when she pulled that line. "But seriously, that was low and I'm going to get you for it later!"

"You said that same thing when we were four!" she retorted, pushing me playfully and earning a return push.

"WHAT!?!" I screeched, making the other three occupants of the carriage wince for the sake of their eardrums. "Are you saying I still act like I'm four!?"

Nanaka rolled her eyes and poked me again.

"Well you are now!" she said, also sounding like she did when we were four. "But what I was saying was that you're as much fun now as you were when we were four! That good?"

I smiled at my best friend, then froze as the carriage came to an easy stop.

Nanaka winked at me as she and Setona went to take their place. My grandfather helped my mother and me out of the carriage and took a good look at me. His smile resembled my mother's.

"Well it looks like my little Tiger is a grown woman now," he said quietly, putting a gentle hand on my shoulder. "And a very pretty one. She has her mother's eyes..."

My mother gave both Grandpa and me a light push to get us to stand where we were supposed to.

"It's time, sweetie," she said softly. "Look, everyone's here. Now stand next to Grandpa and wait."

I got a look at her face as I turned away to face the altar. Her violet eyes, almost identical to my own, sparkled with happy tears. I had so much to thank her for...

"I just feel like I'm losing my little girl," she whispered, thinking that I couldn't hear her.

Grandpa smiled down at me and gave me a little kiss on my forehead, just as he had done when I was young.

"That's my little Tiger," he whispered.