Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ What You Don't Know ❯ Chapter 2 - One step forward ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin.
 
Chapter 2 - One step forward
 
Kaoru sat on the engawa, looking out into the dojo yard, a half-drunk cup of tea at her side. The sun was warm, the air was calm, and she felt much stronger. Three more days of rest and careful moving around had boosted her energy, and she was bouncing back quickly.
 
A few more memories had resurfaced as well, but nothing that shed light on her injury. Strange things would trigger sudden images, almost like she was seeing double. The sword stand in the dojo holding a worn katana and wakazashi brought images of them being returned to her with the news of her father's death. The calendar in the sitting room triggered anxiety-filled memories of Kenshin leaving the dojo, seemingly never to return. The bathhouse brought back a myriad of relaxing and embarrassing memories, including Kenshin walking in on her, thinking she had drowned.
 
Sanosuke had come by, and Kaoru found that she was recognizing people more easily as time passed. The big fighter broke into an enormous grin at seeing her sitting upright in her room.
“I knew you'd pull through, Jou-chan. You're too stubborn to let an knock to the head get you down.”
 
Despite the strange urge to smack him with a boken, Kaoru was genuinely pleased to remember him. He'd come and gone every now and then, usually to eat, and she began to understand her `wayward sibling' feelings towards him.
 
Kaoru's eyes wandered over to Yahiko, who was practicing strokes with a shinai in the yard. His eyes were intensely focused as he executed an overhead stroke repeatedly, breaking occasionally to try other combinations that she assumed were mostly from her art. She squinted a little at his actions. Something about his form bothered her.
 
Her young student had hovered around the doorway of her room as she recovered, but hadn't ventured talk to her for several days. Kaoru wondered at his behavior, as it didn't match to the boisterous memories of the boy that floated through her foggy mind. Kenshin didn't seem to think there was any need for concern, citing the stress of the past weeks as the likely cause.
 
She continued to watch Yahiko as he swung through repeated motions. The nagging feeling that something was off drove her to stand and make her way towards him. He looked up at her and slowed his movements as she neared.
 
“Keep going,” she said, eyes never wavering from his form. He nodded, a quizzical look on his face. She scrutinized his form as he moved and swung.
 
Something clicked, and she approached him.
 
“Drop your elbows like this, and widen your stance slightly.” She directed his limbs with her hands. “Now, try again.”
 
He moved again, and the nagging feeling was gone as he completed the form.
 
“That looks better.” He stopped and lowered the shinai.
 
“Do you remember something Kaoru?” he said, sounding hopeful.
 
“I'm not sure, but I'm starting to see what's right and wrong in your movements. That has to count for something.” She smiled at him brightly, surprised when he looked down and away.
 
“Yahiko, what's wrong?”
 
He was quiet for a long moment, hands clenching at his sides.
 
“It's my fault,” he said, almost too quietly to be heard.
 
“What are you talking about?” she responded, now genuinely concerned.
 
“It's my fault you can't remember anything.”
 
“Yahiko, some crates fell on me in an alley, you had nothing to do with it.” She reached out a hand to touch his shoulder, and he flinched back. He looked up at her, guilt written across his twelve-year-old face.
 
“I . . . thought it would be funny to scare that girl. She was Tsubame's friend. I didn't know she was holding a cat.” He looked down again, voice filled with shame. “You wouldn't have gone into that alley if I hadn't been stupid.”
 
Kaoru wasn't quite sure what to do with his confession. She could be mad at him, but that wouldn't help his misplaced guilt.
 
“I don't remember anything, but it was just an accident.”
 
“I know!” he burst out. “But after you left, I just went to work. I should have followed you, maybe this wouldn't have happened!”
 
“Yahiko, you can't undo what is done. If it helps, I don't blame you.”
 
“Kaoru-dono is right, Yahiko, what's done is done.” Kenshin's smooth voice rippled over the yard as he walked towards them. He placed a hand on Yahiko's shoulder. “But you can help Kaoru-dono remember her kenjitsu, ne? Who better than her best student?”
 
Yahiko was silent for a moment. An almost relieved smile picked at the corners of his mouth.
 
“More like her only student.” Kaoru thumped him on his head with her fist before she knew what she was doing.
 
“Ow! Why couldn't you forget how you do that?” he complained. Kenshin laughed as Kaoru looked at her clenched fist.
 
“Ma, ma, that's a good sign of your recovery, Kaoru-dono.”
 
Kaoru smiled at the look of happiness on Kenshin's face. This felt very right.
 
“Yahiko,” Kenshin said, “You should wash up for lunch. You work this afternoon, ne?”
 
“Oh, right! I'm starving.” The young boy took off across the yard. Kaoru looked after him.
 
She started slightly when Kenshin lay a soft hand on her arm. There was an unreadable expression in his eyes. The touch made her jittery, but happy at the same time. She realized a couple days ago that she had feelings for the red-haired man, but did not know if her affections were returned. Obviously he took good care of her, but he'd made no overt moves to show a deeper connection. Something kept her silent on the matter, however much she ached for him.
 
“Kaoru-dono, you should eat as well, and then rest.” He began guiding her gently towards the kitchen.
 
“I'm feeling much better Kenshin, and I don't feel that tired.”
 
“You shouldn't push yourself too hard. It would be . . . unfortunate if you relapsed.” A hint of worry laced through his tone, almost unheard.
 
“Okay, I'll rest after lunch,” she conceded. “But, can we go to the market tomorrow morning?”
 
Kenshin faltered beside her for a moment.
 
“Are you sure you want to do that?”
 
She turned to him, taking in his carefully guarded face.
 
“I need to leave the dojo sometime. Besides, maybe I'll remember more about what happened.”
 
He continued walking towards the kitchen.
 
“Please, Kenshin, I need to know.”
 
He sighed, and turned back to her with a small smile.
 
“All right Kaoru-dono. We'll go tomorrow.”