Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ What You Don't Know ❯ Chapter 6 - Connections ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin
 
 
Chapter 6 - Connections
 
Saito straightened from his position from the doorway. Smoke blew smoothly from his nostrils, and he flicked the dying cigarette into the yard.
 
“So, can you take a break from your playing?” he drawled, eyes locked on Kenshin's. Kenshin stepped a bit in front of Kaoru.
 
“What do you want, Saito.” His voice was cool, neutral.
 
“Tch, tch, such treatment after you sought my help.”
 
“Saito.” A warning was evident.
 
“Kenshin? What does he mean?” Kaoru was fairly sure that Kenshin would never go to this man for anything unless there was a very good reason.
 
Kenshin's jaw clenched a little.
 
“Saito has access to information that I do not. I thought it best to inform the police of the most recent developments.”
 
“Most recent? Meaning the police knew about what happened before?”
 
Kenshin spared her a brief glance, obviously not wanting to take his eyes off the man before him.
 
“Your injury caused quite a stir in the market, Kaoru-dono.”
 
“But why him?”
 
“Because, Tanuki, there may be larger things afoot than you getting hurt. The attack on you would seem to confirm that.”
 
Kenshin stiffened at Saito's nickname, but directed his attention completely back to the policeman.
 
“Have you learned something new?”
 
“Perhaps. All my contacts have not yet reported in. But there is something going on. There's too much activity.”
 
Kenshin nodded. Kaoru looked between the two men, getting more confused and concerned.
 
“What activity?”
 
“It's better if you don't know the specifics. But I would advise you not leave the dojo unless accompanied by a competent companion. And the brat doesn't count.”
 
“But—“
 
“Kaoru-dono, please. This is for your safety.” Kenshin's tone was strained, displeased, but determined.
 
“I just came to deliver an update. I figured Battosai would get antsy without news.” Saito smirked at his own joke and turned to leave. “I'll let you know how my investigation progresses.”
 
Kenshin and Kaoru followed him out onto the porch and watched him leave the grounds. A curl of fear rose in her gut, much like in the dream. She looked up at Kenshin with worried eyes.
 
“Kenshin, what do we do now?”
 
Kenshin looked at her, and placed a hand on her shoulder.
 
“Now, we wait.”
 
………………………&# 8230;..
 
The day had passed at an agonizing pace. Kaoru couldn't help but be torn between the fear instilled by Saito's words and the memory of Kenshin's arms around her. Kenshin buried himself in the laundry, occasionally glancing her way. Yahiko, feeling the tension, had left soon after lunch. He mentioned feeling well enough to work, so Kaoru let him go without much pressing.
 
After a quiet dinner, Kaoru found herself restlessly pacing around the dojo grounds. The sun was still showing over the horizon, a few hours of light left in the warm day. After one turn around the yard, she caught Kenshin observing her as he came from the kitchen. He paused for a long moment, and smiled.
 
“Kaoru-dono, would you like to take a walk?”
 
Kaoru readily agreed, eager to get out. She fell into step beside him as she secured the gates behind them.
 
She took a deep breath as they strolled down the mostly deserted street. The multi-hued sky was breathtaking. She reveled in the quiet companionship and beauty of the evening. There were no questions, no fears, just the night, the sky, and him.
 
As they turned down the path towards the river, Kenshin offered her his arm with a gentle smile. Kaoru took it with a light blush, the memories of their contact this morning fresh in mind.
 
This felt so right.
 
They continued to walk slowly down the bank, the sunset providing a changing landscape of color. Kaoru was entranced by the sweet smell of the river grasses, the quiet murmur of water and the warmth of Kenshin's arm under her hand. It felt so perfect, like a dream. She had the oddest feeling of deja-vu.
 
Kenshin stopped at a spot by the river where willows provided an arcing bower over the path.
 
“So beautiful,” she said, taking in the river and sky framed by the graceful branches.
 
“Yes,” he replied, darkened eyes trained on hers.
 
Kaoru blushed and turned away. His warm hand on her chin gently turned her to face him.
 
“Kaoru.” Her heart jumped at hearing her name unencumbered, spoken with such tenderness. She smiled, eyes full of him.
 
He slowly lowered his face to hers, never letting go of her gaze. His hand slipped from her chin and moved to her shoulder, trailing a smooth path along her sensitive neck. Their lips touched, his brushing hers with gentle motions. A warm tingling sensation rushed through her, all the way to her fingertips. Kaoru sighed a little, placing both hands on his smooth chest. This felt so right, and so familiar.
 
Her thoughts disappeared as Kenshin tested the seam of her lips with the barest touch of his tongue. She opened for him, and he explored her depths with careful strokes. His arms gathered around her waist, holding her close but not tight. Kaoru was lost in his taste, his scent of soap and sandalwood, and the warmth of his skin coming through his gi. His mouth stoked wonderful waves of heat that pooled in her midsection.
 
After a while, he pulled away, leaving her warm and dazed. Kaoru set her head on his shoulder, and he folded her into an embrace. The evening deepened, and fireflies began dancing in their sheltered bower.
 
Something nagged at Kaoru's memory. She raised her head and pulled away just enough to meet his gaze.
 
“Kenshin,” she said quietly, not wanting to break the spell. “We've done this before. At this spot.”
 
The barest hint of sadness passed through his eyes.
 
“Yes, Kaoru.”
 
“Why didn't you tell me?”
 
“This one did not want to force himself upon you, especially with your memory loss.”
 
Kaoru leaned in and kissed him briefly.
 
“My heart wouldn't let me forget.”
 
Kenshin smiled, and drew her to him again. Long moments passed, Kaoru lulled by the steady sound of his heartbeat. She finally let him go with a contented sigh, and put her smaller hand in his.
 
“Let's go home.”
 
His genuine smile was all she needed to feel safe and content.