Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ What You Don't Know ❯ Chapter 9 - Darkness ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin
 
Chapter 9 - Darkness
 
Kaoru had no idea what time it was when she awoke next. The aching soreness was worse, and the fresh pain from her new injuries added to her discomfort. She was still bound, and the gag was back. She shook, feeling chilled to the bone. Not being able to move her limbs didn't help.
 
As the effects of the drug wore off, she noticed the silence. No thudding feet, no sounds from below. There were a few noises that sounded like they could be coming from outside, but she wasn't sure.
 
Fairly certain she was alone, Kaoru pulled at the ropes, trying to get free. Her hands fumbled to try to reach for the knots. She could just touch them, but her fingers were too numb to have much effect. The ropes were too tight to pull out of, and Kaoru winced as the rough fiber bit into her tender wrists. Even the blindfold wouldn't budge.
 
Frustrated, cold, dizzy and weak, Kaoru curled her legs as close as possible to her chest, huddling against the wall. Memories of last night raced through her head. She felt sick, used. She just wanted it to all go away.
 
She must have lost consciousness for a little while, because sudden shouts and noises from below jerked her into awareness. Frightened, she huddled into her corner.
 
`Please, please, please.'
 
She sat up a little when she faintly heard her name being called from below. Hope coursed through her. She tried to think of a way to make noise, but her limbs were leaden and unresponsive. She settled for yelling as loud as she could around the cloth in her mouth.
 
Footsteps pounded closer, and the door slammed open.
 
“Kaoru!”
 
Tears poured from her eyes in relief as Kenshin's voice washed over her. He was at her side in a moment, blindfold and gag gently but quickly removed.
 
“Get a blanket, hurry!”
 
Kaoru blinked at the welcome intrusion of light, and worked her jaw. Her arms fell heavily to her sides as Kenshin released the ropes that held her. He moved in front of her, making quick work of the bindings on her legs. His eyes were dark, and moved over her with concern.
 
“Ken-shin,” she murmured, weariness battling with relief.
 
“Shh, let's get you out of here.”
 
He rubbed her arms gently, and she winced as pins and needles burned along her arms. His gaze darkened even more as they roved over her body, lingering on the bruises on her face.
 
A policeman rushed in the door with a blanket, and Kenshin draped it around her shoulders. Kaoru groaned as he lifted her, muscles protesting at movement after being still for so long. He held her close, and she was glad of his warmth despite the pain.
 
Kenshin carried her down a narrow set of stairs into an empty warehouse. Numerous blue-suited officers swarmed over the area, Saito standing in the middle casually smoking a cigarette. Kenshin approached with Kaoru, and the tall man turned towards them.
 
“She's alive then.”
 
Saito, always matter of fact.
 
“I'm taking her home.” Kenshin's voice was stiff and cold.
 
Kaoru remembered the bits of information she had overheard. She had to make this ordeal mean something.
 
“Wait,” she said quietly, voice raw. “I heard things that might help.”
 
Kenshin looked down at her for a moment.
 
“Kaoru-dono, are you sure?”
 
“Please,” she whispered. His eyes disapproved.
 
Kenshin looked up at Saito, and a look passed between them. Saito turned to a man at his side.
 
“Continue the investigation. I will return shortly.”
 
Kenshin resumed walking towards the open doorway. Kaoru heard sounds of water as they exited the building, seagulls soaring in the blue sky.
 
`That explains the salty smell.'
 
Kenshin stepped into a waiting military carriage, settling Kaoru into his lap. She was warmer now, finally feeling safe. She pulled the blanket closer, wincing where the rough cloth scraped her abused wrists. Saito climbed into the carriage a moment later, knocking on the roof to signal the driver to go.
 
Kaoru groaned a little as the vehicle lurched forward, jarring her injuries. Gathering her thoughts, she focused on the scenery passing by.
 
“The boss is a foreigner, European I think,” she started haltingly. “He knew I had been injured, and that I was beginning to remember things. The only reason why he didn't kill me is because I didn't remember anything specific. He said he didn't like bloodshed, but said he'd kill me if I saw anything while being held captive.”
 
Kaoru turned to look at Saito.
 
“His voice was familiar. I think he was there that day in the market. He also wanted to know if you had told me anything about your investigation.”
 
Saito's eyebrow raised, seemingly surprised.
 
“After he questioned me, a man spoke of cargo in wagons being ready for inspection.”
 
Kaoru took a deep breath, curling in on herself a little at remembering what happened next.
“He left me alone for a while.” She swallowed, pausing. “Two of the men from the river found me. They were . . .happy to have me at their mercy.”
 
Tears started flowing down her cheeks. Kenshin became very tense and still. Saito continued staring, waiting for more.
 
“They . . . both . . .I . . . couldn't,” She stopped, and drew a shuddering breath. “While they were . . . I ended up knocked to the floor after hurting one of them. The blindfold slipped. The boss' shoes were brown and white, that's all I saw.”
 
Kaoru shakily wiped moisture from her bruised cheeks. She stole a glance at Kenshin, but his eyes were hidden by his hair. The small man was shaking slightly, waves of tension flowing off him. His hand over her legs clenched into a tight fist.
 
“He said he didn't intend me to be harmed, and then drugged me. When he thought I was unconscious, the boss talked with a map to his subordinate, one of the men who took me from the dojo. They said something about taking out a bridge, and that the government would have to go down a ravine and up a mountain path to get to them.”
 
Saito leaned forward a bit, face showing interest.
 
“Anything else?” he said, eyes trained on her.
 
“He said it would take eight hours to get to the bridge, because men were pulling the wagons. Something about horses compromising the disguise.”
 
Saito sat back, thinking. After several long moments, he spoke.
 
“There are only a few places like that. We can still get them.”
 
The carriage ground to a halt.
 
“Wait.” Kenshin said to Saito, his voice tight and strained. Kaoru was lifted in wooden-like arms, held just away from his body.
 
Sano, Megumi and Yahiko stood outside the carriage in front of the dojo gates, faces alight with concern and relief. Kenshin stepped down and handed Kaoru to Sano, who stumbled just a bit at the suddenness.
 
“Treat her wounds.” His voice didn't sound like his own to Kaoru, so cold and distant. He turned on his heel and got back into the carriage.
 
“Oi, Kenshin!” Sano protested, holding Kaoru like a fragile doll. The carriage lurched forward, turning around and going back the way it came.
 
Kaoru began to shake. This was too much. Why did he leave? She needed him.
 
“Sano, bring her inside, to the bathhouse. We need to get her clean.”
 
Clean. What she wouldn't give to feel clean again.
 
Sano brought her inside as requested, and set her down gently on a bench inside the warm furo. Megumi bustled in after, and shooed the hovering man out.
 
“I'll call you in a little while. Make this tea and heat up the broth in the kitchen.”
 
Sano didn't complain, and left to follow the doctor's orders.
 
Kaoru looked up at Megumi as she approached. She tightened the blanket unconsciously. Megumi regarded her for a moment, and her look softened.
 
“Let me see to you, Kaoru. You'll feel better once you've bathed.”
 
Kaoru finally acquiesced, having no strength left. She sat numbly as Megumi undressed her, washed her body, and dried her carefully. Megumi dressed her in a clean yukata after examining the growing bruises on her stomach and breasts. As she began to wrap Kaoru's raw ankles and wrists with clean bandages, Megumi looked up at her with knowing eyes.
 
“Will you tell me what they did to you?”
 
Kaoru hung her head at the question. Megumi had obviously seen enough women to know that something had happened. She shook her head. It hurt too much to say.
 
Megumi's hands took hers in uncharacteristic gentleness.
 
“Kaoru, I just need to know one thing. You are obviously not bleeding, but I need to ask. Did they—”
 
“No,” she responded quietly. “But they did enough.”
 
………………………&# 8230;..
 
Sano had carried her to her room after that, and Megumi insisted she drink the tea and broth that was prepared for her. Kaoru complied numbly, and sank into a restless sleep.
 
Morning turned into afternoon, afternoon to evening, and evening to the next day. Kenshin still hadn't returned.
 
Kaoru sat listlessly in her room. Kenshin's absence was horribly familiar, like an old wound that ached in the rain. No one knew where he went, and walked around her like she was made of glass. Were they hiding something from her, or just being cautious?
Was it something she did? He was so tender when he rescued her, but something had changed.
 
As the hours passed, she wracked her brain to try to put together why he would leave her. She became more listless as desperation and depression took hold. She just wanted to be with him, to have his arms chase away the living nightmare of those horrible men. She already felt so dirty and abused, why this?
 
A horrible notion wormed its way into her consciousness. Kenshin had started pulling away from her when she told them what had happened. What if. . .he didn't want her anymore? What if he wasn't coming back?
 
Tears ran unchecked down her face. Kaoru buried her face in the futon as her body shuddered. It hurt so much. She could be ruined, unworthy for him.
 
There was a light knock on the shoji. Kaoru sat up, hopeful.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Uh, Kaoru, it's Yahiko, can I come in?”
 
Her heart sank like a stone. She sighed and leaned against the wall.
 
“Kaoru?”
 
“Come in.”
 
The boy slid the door open, nervously shuffling inside and kneeling by her futon. Kaoru didn't look his way, depression cloaking her like a shroud. Yahiko fidgeted in the quiet.
 
“Can I get you something? Is there anything you need?”
 
`Nothing that you can get for me.'
 
“No, thank you.”
 
Silence hovered over them again. Yahiko sat with her for long moments, shifting a little.
 
“Kaoru, I'm sorry I wasn't there to help defend you like I promised.”
 
Kaoru turned to him slowly, seeing the anguish on his features.
 
“I let you down again.”
 
“How did you let me down?” Kaoru replied softly.
 
“They locked me into the furo. I couldn't get out, and I couldn't help you. If I'd have been able to help, maybe,” he trailed off.
 
Kaoru turned to him weakly.
 
“What's done is done. It's not your fault.”
 
Yahiko managed a small smile at her words. She turned to look beyond him again, distracted by her thoughts.
 
“Kaoru, are you sure you don't need anything? You don't look well.”
 
“I'm fine, Yahiko. I'm just,” `empty, dirty, lonely' “tired.”
 
“Um, okay. I'll let you sleep then.”
 
Kaoru sighed. She really was tired. Pulling the blankets around her, she lay down and tried to sleep.