Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ When Amethyst Loved Amber ❯ 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: No….Rurouni Kenshin is not mine…*Sigh* Too bad. Anyways, on with the show ^-^! *Cheer*

Chapter 4

Hanami rushed down the street, trails of dried up tears streaked her face. It was rare that the Goddess of Death showed such raw emotion, but her heart was set into a turmoil. When she layed her eyes upon the battousai once again, after so many years, she had not felt the desire for him that she had when they were young. Only the dull ach of something that had-been and never will-be. Killing him…Was that the best thing? That woman, Miss Kaoru, she had a likeness to Tomoe's. How odd. He would find someone to replace her.

She tightened her fist around her Koketsu. How she loathed him for that. He didn't think twice about her. That was the reason behind wanting to end his life. Ending his life will loosen the misery she had put herself through. Will it?

A rustle up ahead caught her attention and yanked her thoughts away. She sensed a familiar being, one with a strong will to fight and a high pride. Stopping, she slammed the end of her Koketsu into the ground, "I know your there. Come out Zanza, the poor wounded fighter for hire. Show your face."

From in the shadows, a rough chuckle came, then the deep masculine voice, "Why do you seek to kill Kenshin after all these years?" Hanami answered his question with one of her own, "Why do you still wear that `Aku' after all those years?" Sano clenched his fist and stepped out from behind the tree he had been previously leaning on.

Pale moonlight surrounded both of them, as it finally decided to show its face, a breaking release from the fading clouds. "Don't you get it? Kenshin has Jo-Chan. Its not your place anymore. Let the past go, Battousai no longer exists."

Hanami smirked, "To you he doesn't exist Sano. But to him…The Battousai will live forever. And I…I will be the one to revive that lost soul deep within him. If I do not succeed, then his life will end." After a moments pause, Hanami decides to add another, "'Kenshin' knows this as well. He has not lost all of his training. He can feel it, if he fails to become the manslayer he once was, then he will die."

Sano clenched his fists tighter, "Why are you so Stubborn! Kenshin will never become the Battousai. The revolution is over!" Hanami glared at him, hissing venom straining in her hallow voice, "Yes, the revolution is over. And Captain Sagara is dead, but you cant seem to let go of your training in the Sekihoutai can you?" Hanami knew that she was crossing dangerous lines by mentioning Captain Sagara and his painful past, but fueling anger seemed to be a coolant for her.

A fierce cry escaped Sanosuke's throat, and he lunged at Hanami, knowing very well that he was no match for the merciless Death goddess. Hanami side stepped his attack and calmly stated, "You still grip that pride of yours Sano. Just admit defeat."

Sanosuke lunged at her again, "Not until you realize that Kenshin doesn't love you anymore!" His words stung at her, and seemed to immobilize her entire body. The strength left her limbs and her eyes brimmed with fresh tears, stinging salt into the amethyst depths.

Sanosuke gasped when he realized that his fist had connected with her jaw, and his cinnamon eyes widened as her body was flung a few paces ahead.

He heard her soft `oof' as she landed on her rear, dropping her hands for balance and releasing her Koketsu; the force of her hitting the ground sending it clattering a few feet away. Her hair lay carelessly in the dirt, and her legs bent at the knees, almost touching her hands which loosely gripped at...nothing.

A wave of pity hit him as he watched the tears fall. They dripped off of her chin and onto the exposed flesh of her pale neck. Her eyes opened up and stared lifelessly at the moon. Feeling her pain, he walked over and leaned down.

His hand extended to her, "Here…" He was at a loss for words. Having never met a woman slayer, he was quite surprised at her reaction. Crying? But why? He obviously couldn't have hurt her, could he?

Hanami shook her head, a dry sob escaping her throat as her head lowered, shifting her bangs to hide her eyes. "Kenshin…" It was more of a cry then anything. Sanosuke couldn't leave her like this. Her love must have been very deep, Kenshin hadn't been lying when he'd said that he had hurt her bad. He didn't understand how Kenshin could hurt something so delicate. Something so precious, a woman to top it off.

He also couldn't understand why anyone would want to put a woman through the trauma of a manslayer. The countless deaths, the lifeless glares of the angry dead. No wonder she called herself the Goddess of Death.

Despite her earlier protest, Sanosuke impatiently shook his hand, "C'mon. I'm not going to leave you here in the middle of the street." Hanami bit her lower lip to keep herself from choking and slipped her hand into his. He hauled her up. She had not grabbed her Koketsu which lie a few feet from them, the blade shimmering in the faulty moonlight.

Needing someone to comfort her and, Against all odds, Hanami buried her face in his shoulder, gripping the sleeve of his yakuta weakly. It had been so long…since she had last been held as she cried… So many nights…so many tears. Sanosuke blushed at the closeness and awkwardly petted her head. "I'm not one for consoling." He admitted as she softly cried, "But I know what pain your going through."

A low pitiful moan escaped and was muffled into his shoulder, "Kenshin…" Despite the awkwardness, Sano thought that was the correct time to hold her and comfort her, so he did. His strong arms encircled her shoulders and held her close. I don't even know you Hanami. But why is it that I feel so much pain for you?

Sanosuke felt a bubble of rage inside directed towards Kenshin. How could he leave someone like this? This woman needed everything that Kenshin had given her. He had a feeling that, that's what gave Hanami a life. But…Kenshin had ripped it all away. He tightened his grip on Hanami as a small sob shook her body. Silence between them, but the aura surrounding them spoke it all.

****

Kaoru found Kenshin sitting on the dojo step, watching the stars. She tapped him lightly on the shoulder and he turned, offering a smile, "Miss Kaoru, why are you still awake?" Kaoru sat beside him, "I was going to ask you the same thing."

Kenshin stared ahead of him, "I'm worried about Sanosuke. Hanami does have a bad temper, and I'm afraid she will take it out on him." Kaoru looked down, "Kenshin, if you don't mind my saying, she seemed more hurt than angry when she left."

Kenshin nodded sorrowfully, "I wish now that I could erase the wrong." His fist tightened in his lap and he shook with sadness. Kaoru comfortingly placed a hand over his, "It will be alright Kenshin. I'm sure that Sano is ok. And Hanami…she will be back. And if you ask me, I say you should come to terms with her."

Kenshin raised his eyes to hers, "I have a feeling, Miss Kaoru, Hanami seemed particularly interested in Sanosuke." Kaoru smiled, "Maybe she is." Kenshin chuckled lightly. Kaoru daringly placed a light kiss on his fore head and stood. "Oro?" Kenshin's eyes grew big, it was unlike Kaoru to show such affection. She ruffled his hair and smiled softly, "Oyasumi nasi Kenshin."

Kenshin smiled again, "Oyasumi nasi, Miss Kaoru." He listened to the rice paper door slide shut, and once again fixated his gaze to the stars. Hanami…Will you kill me? Will the Death Goddess finally accomplish what she has set out to do?

A/N: Alright…everyone go `Awwww'……..*Silence*……alright fine then. So, we find out that Hanami has feelings. That isn't exactly how I wanted to put this, but…it hit me ya know? Besides, she's a new char, so I can toy around with emotions a bit cant I? Well, I'll have the next chapter up soon. I'm still unsure of what I'm going to have Sanosuke do. And you wont know until I post ^_~! Which I'm not sure when that will be, considering that I have a lot to do in the next week….^-^ I'll get it up as soon as I can. Ja ne!