Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Shot Heaven ❯ Imaginary ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

She was seated on the bridge, staring deep in the stream below her. She couldn't bear to look away from her reflection. In her lap, the wind ruffled the thin sheets. They appeared to be paper and yet they were so much thinner and much more fragile than regular paper. Behind her the sky was bright blue and birds sang in wonder as spring was opening its arms to the world and embracing it. Beyond her on either side of the bridge, grass grew in a deep green and looked soft enough to sleep on. Everything was brightly lit as though each and everything had an inner light that had grown over the winter.

Oh, paper flowers

In the water flowers that were a pure white floated. Each of them had a pink glow surrounding them so that they would not fall beneath the pure blue water. Each of them slowly trailed the other as they floated downstream. Each one was different from the others. Only one who looked closely could tell that the flowers were in actuality made of paper. Each one was made as different as the humans in the world. Each one held a uniqueness that only those who bothered to really look would see.

Oh, paper flowers

Another flower floated to join the rest of its family. It revealed that it was the girl that was making them. She was pale, almost too pale to truly be alive. The faint blush on her cheeks revealed that she was very much human. Her eyes were far different from anyone else's eyes for they were a deep blue that seemed pure at the same time. You could stare deep into them and find yourself swimming through the clearest water possible. It was obvious from her looks that she was Japanese and not a foreigner. Her black hair fell down her back in waves, a blue tint to it. The end of her hair was pooled behind her on the bridge. She appeared serene and yet there was something in her eyes that was not exactly right. It caused shivers to rack the spine of even the strongest humans. She wore an elaborate kimono that was a pure white with red markings on it. She wore bone armor and yet it still dwarfed the look in her eyes when it came to danger.

A few minutes passed and a man moved next to her. “Come, Miss. It is time for you to return to your room. You know your Lord does not like to see you out here alone.” She slowly stood, leaving the sheets to fall hazardously across the bridge. Some even fell into the water. She followed the man inside the castle. Servants whispered as she passed. On occasion some words like crazy, insane and possessed were heard. She didn't hear them. She was a child in her mind. She would always ignore them for though she knew what they said, she knew they were right.


I linger in the doorway

Reaching her room, she moved to the chair by the fire and pulled a small book out. She had been given the book when she had been younger. Opening the cover, she stared down at the first page. It was the only page that ever showed anything. Closing her eyes, she whispered the ancient words she needed. Slowly, the door grew from the book. She settled the book before her on the ground. They would not bother her until dinner, so she felt safe. No one knew about the book except the woman who had given it to her. She had seen the insanity forming. She had known what it was like to have the mind tainted so badly. She had rescued her by creating this book for her.


Of alarm clock screaming

As the door grew to its full size, she stared back toward her room. It was always difficult to remember when she was in that other place. She looked back at the door. It appeared to look more like an arch than anything else. Reaching up, she placed the tip of her finger against a jewel at the top. This was a jewel that many had attempted to hold and contain and control. Others had sought it out for power. She had attempted to help to protect it though. Placing enough of her energy in the jewel, she glanced back.

Monsters calling my name

In the back of her mind, she heard his laughter. He was long gone but the taint he had left in her mind had stayed. He constantly whispered to her, seeking always to drown her in the insanity he brought. She fought of course but never did she truly win. He was still there after all. She hadn't been able to destroy him. Turning her back to the world she lived in, she faced the arch. A shimmer began to grow within the stone. His whispers grew until they blocked out everything else. She kept a mantra in her head, ignoring him knowing that as soon as she stepped through, she would be only herself and not him as well. She watched as the shimmer stopped growing. Closing her eyes, she stepped through.

Let me stay

Reopening her eyes minutes later, she found herself still in her room, but it was different. This place was much different than the quiet of her world. The stones shouted out with laughter. A smile appeared in her eyes, but she dared not to speak, for fear of breaking the dream. She was always like this in this world. She dared not even whisper a word of its existence to anyone else. Always when she first arrived, she remained silent. Once she was away from the door, she allowed herself to speak and to laugh with the joy she held within her. It was here that She remained. She had left their world and come here to help protect the jewel.

Where the wind will whisper to me

Stepping to the window, she breathed in deeply. A giggle almost escaped her as she felt the wind dance around her in joy. This was home to her. Everything here accepted all that she was and more. Racing out of her room at a run, she ran to the gardens. She went straight to the bridge and stared down at the water. Flowers of white floated down it, dancing in joy at their existence. She spoke softly, reaching out to them. “I'm back…” Her voice was no more than a whisper, but its soft echo seemed to ignite the world around her in life. A rumble had her looking toward the sound. Clouds were rolling in.

Where the raindrops, as they're falling, tell a story

She lifted her face up, twirling as the rain began to fall. They sang out their joy at her return. They told her of the time she was gone and what had happened. This world moved much faster than her own world. Opening her mouth, she drank the sky's tears of happiness. It energized her more than anything ever could. No medicine ever made her feel this well. Her eyes glittered happily in pure joy, the insanity no longer there for the time being.


In my field of paper flowers

She then felt the call in her bones. Turning, she fled across the bridge, a smile on her lips and her eyes dancing. She raced through the trees as light as a feather and as fast as a phoenix. She never seemed to even touch the ground. Soon, she slowed as she came to a break in the forest around her. The trees seemed to reach out to her as though to wrap their branches around her in welcome and love. She slowly stepped out into the clearing. She stared at the numerous colors of flowers. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She did not realize that the scent was faint, as though the flowers had long been swept away. Kneeling to the ground, she reverently touched the petals. They were soft to her touch. A smile of pure pleasure grew on her face.

And candy clouds of lullaby (flowers)

Staring up at the sky, she saw that the rain had faded and now the sun was setting. It cast a purple glow to the sky. Sighing softly, she settled back in the field of flowers and watched the setting sun. Soon her eyes closed in the warmth of her haven. She turned at a sound and watched as a small fox appeared nearby her. It curled up beside her. Stroking its red fur, she hummed softly a lullaby. Soon a kitten came out of the trees and curled up in her lap. Next, came a silver dog. It too curled up next to her, directly before her legs. She turned her gaze back up to watch the sun.

I lie inside myself for hours

She didn't hear the last creature to come. She had fallen back into the grass and her eyes were closed. The moon was beginning to rise, and the sun was almost gone. She felt hands lift her head and then settle them on a lap. The lullaby she had been singing earlier began and she smiled. It was her. The one who had given her the book and the one she always ran to. She was the one that was able to erase the taint from her mind for the time being. A satisfied smile crossed her face as she dozed off. She had no worries about dreaming here. She never dreamed here.

And watch my purple sky fly over me (flowers)

It seemed only a second later when she was left alone. She noticed as soon as she shivered from the brisk wind. Standing, she saw her friends were gone. She blinked back tears. “I want to stay…” Her voice whispered into the wind, dejected. Another softer voice echoed around her. “You cannot stay little one. Not yet. Please return through the door. Soon, little one. Soon…” She blinked and turned back to the empty house and entered. The place seemed to join her in mourning at her departure. Reaching the arch, she glanced up and saw that her energy had almost run out. She noticed that maybe only an hour had gone by in her world. Sighing softly, she stepped through.

Don't say I'm out of touch

She settled on her bed and lay back after she put the book away. It was her secret. She had always guarded in savagely. Not even her Lord knew of it. She closed her eyes against the blare of the sun. The next thing she knew, she was looking into her Lord's eyes. He was staring at her coldly. She did not know how she had gotten there but shoved the thought to the side. She sent a questioning look toward him. She no longer even spoke to him anymore. “You have lost touch. You are letting the taint take hold of you.” She shook her head with a scowl. He lifted a brow. “I know what I see and what I see is not good. Naraku's taint has filled you completely.” She stood from the table and ran back to her place by the stream, on the bridge, tears falling.

With this rampant chaos - your reality

It was weeks later the war began and her lord was gone more often. She remained as she always did but this time, she spent most of the time on her bridge making paper flowers. Her mind traveled to her haven more often. She spent more time within, feeling more comfort there than anywhere else. She hated this place. This reality made her weak. It was within a month that a change occurred for the worse. She slept heavily that day. When she woke, she was seated on her bridge, making flowers. She did not see the blood on her fingers and hands. Nor did she see it on her kimono. When no one came to retrieve her though, she rose and decided to discover what was keeping them. The taint had not bothered her that day. She felt herself. It allowed her to smile a little.

I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge

When she ran across the first body, she thought nothing of it. As she moved through her home, she found body after body. Slowly, fear began to engulf her. Her mind began to whirl in the chaos. Someone had come and destroyed her home. As she reached her Lord's chambers, she stepped within. She found herself staring at a woman that looked familiar to her-self. She was smiling. The woman on the bed chuckled. “You wish to know who I am.” It even sounded like herself. She nodded. The woman stood from the bed. Her kimono and body was drenched with blood. It was the blood of the others in her home. “I am who I am. I am a… messenger.” She narrowed her eyes. The woman chuckled softly. “I did not kill them little one. I will take you to the one that did kill them though.” She nodded firmly. She already planned to kill the person who had harmed her home. Following the woman, she even noted that the woman walked like her. Soon she discovered that they were in her room. The woman pointed to an area.

The nightmare I built my own world to escape

Walking there, she looked around in confusion. There was no one here. She was about to turn on the woman when she saw the mirror. She stared at herself in confusion. It was her. She looked to be a grown woman covered in blood. She glanced back at the woman. She was silent as she stared at her. Looking back at the mirror, she moved slowly forward and gently touched the glass. Blood trailed over it from her fingers. She jolted a little in surprise, as though she had been shocked. Focusing back on her image, her eyes widened in horror. She had killed them! She had destroyed their lives. She was covered in their blood. She whirled back on the woman and stared at her. She pleaded with her eyes to know why. The woman smiled bitterly. “I am your taint. I am what remains when you flee.”

In my field of paper flowers

The woman advanced toward her, a look of gloating in her eyes. “I am what drives you beyond what others believe. I am the one in control.” The woman settled on the bed happily and yet there was an agony in her eyes. “I am what remains when you flee to that world with her. I do not feel peace or love. I do not feel comfort. I am anger, I am hated, I am revenge, I am misery.” Her voice died to a soft whisper. She moved to the bed and settled next to her. This woman was a part of her and yet she had been trapped in this place without mercy with the darkness forever causing her pain. She pulled a small paper flower from her hair that she had taken from the stream and placed in the woman's lap.

And candy clouds of lullaby (flowers)

The woman stared at the flower in confusion for a long time. She finally looked up at her. “Why do you still care for me? I am the darkness within you. I have caused you pain.” Her voice was soft in her confusion. Shaking her head, she spoke softly. “You have not caused me pain for you are me. We are one and the same. I committed this crime just as much as you did. We are together in all things one of us does. Besides, you are not the one who caused us pain.” The woman blinked in surprise. “Then who did cause us pain?”

I lie inside myself for hours

She shifted and then suddenly stood. Rising, she pulled the book out of the hiding place. “Our Lord will be coming for us. He will destroy us, but we will escape together. We will go home.” The woman held the book reverently in her hands. They settled on the floor and opened it to the first page. They stared down at the image of the arch. She looked up at the woman. “The one who caused us pain was Naraku. He tainted us and has tortured us since. You are not him. You are me.” The woman tilted her head, trying to understand. “But I am the taint.” She shook her head. “No, the one who gave us the book told me that you are not the taint. You are the body that holds the taint, but it is not you're very being. You are the heart and mind. I am the soul, still pure despite all that he attempted. He touched our mind and heart, nothing more. When we get there, the darkness will be purged from you by Her.”

And watch my purple sky fly over me (flowers)

The woman looked down at the page and traced it a little bit. “Will we be able to watch the sunset together as we are supposed to be?” Her voice was almost forlorn. “I miss watching the sunset. I miss the light. I miss the sunrise.” She smiled sadly and took the woman's other hand. “Yes, we will. We will be safe then. Our world will not hurt us any longer. Shall we begin? I can feel our Lord close at hand.” The woman nodded.

Swallowed up in the sound of my screaming

Joining hands, they spoke the ancient words. For some reason it seemed a lot harder to draw on the power. Pink fire raced along their arms and joined where their hands were joined. Slowly, the archway began to rise. As the fire grew, they both felt the agony. They felt wounds appear on them and more blood joined the blood of the others. Both held on tightly as the book drew their power into it. It was then that their Lord appeared at the door. His eyes were red. He raised his claws.

Cannot cease for the fear of silent nights

They continued as their power kept their Lord at bay for the time being. Soon the arch was out of the book. She pulled the book tightly to her chest as the woman lifted her. They held each other's hands tightly. Both had their chins raised. He seemed to be glaring through them. “Why?” They both knew the question he asked but both remained silent. The woman's hand kept twitching, as though she were about to draw a blade, but she did not move. Behind them, the arch began to shimmer. The portal was opening.

Oh, how I long for the deep sleep dreaming

Before they could step back, their Lord raised his claws and brought them down. She threw herself before the woman. “No!” Her scream echoed. The woman cried out, catching hold of her falling form. She found herself bleeding in the same place but ignored it. “You can't die. You must take me home with you. You can't.” She coughed a little, spitting out blood. “I have spent more time there than you. It is your right. We are the same remember. I will always be with you. Go please.” The woman held her tightly to her chest. “I won't leave you. She will help us.” Both ignored the youkai above them who was watching them.

The goddess of imaginary light

Just then, a glow came from the arch. The woman turned to look and gasped. It was Her! The woman watched as She went to the youkai. The woman listened. “Do not heed anything that is said Sesshomaru. You did what you thought was right. The taint is gone from her, but you did not see. Now you will never see her again. Not even Tensaiga will work on her.” A look of pure heartache appeared in their Lord's eyes. He fell and cradled her body to him. The woman felt as though she too were being held. She then watched Her pick up her body. “Come, it is time.”

In my field of paper flowers

As they stepped through, the woman looked back and felt pity for her Lord Sesshomaru. He was broken and alone once more. Turning, she found herself in their room. She was putting her on the bed. Already both of their wounds were healing. “Take me to the flowers mother?” She smiled at her request. The woman found herself following them to the field of flowers. They all settled. The woman sat a little way off, afraid to face her mother. Her mother sighed softly. “Come and I will cleanse you of Naraku.” The woman nodded, half afraid.

And candy clouds of lullaby (flowers)

Sitting by their mother, they both laid their heads in her lap. Their mother gently brushed their hair with her fingers. Both gazes fell to the sky and found that the sun was setting. The woman's eyes brightened. It was a sunset. She watched the blue sky begin to darken into a deep purple. Her eyes were filled with the wonder before her.

I lie inside myself for hours

They watched together, their hands gripping each other tightly in the reassurance that they were both there. They were separated in body but still they were a part of each other. The fox, the dog, and the kitten came from the trees and curled around them. The wind blew around all of them, shoving their hair into disarray and yet neither noticed.

And watch my purple sky fly over me (flowers)

They did not feel as their mother's presence faded away from them for the were still entrapped by the purple sky above. Another wind blew through the meadow of flowers. It was strong. The animals pressed against them as the two sat like sisters, side by side. Their hands never left each other but it seemed as if slowly they were becoming one. The wind lashed through the meadow, causing the flowers to soar into the skies. They fluttered as though dancing, everything around them rejoicing that they would be staying. In the woods, their mother stood watching them. She turned and returned to the arch. Sesshomaru still was on the floor in mourning with the body of their daughter in his grasp. She stepped forward and gently touched his shoulder, feeling his pain. “Forgive me Kagome… I did not mean to…” Their mother smiled as she felt their daughter's heart and mind become one with her soul. She whispered softly to him.

(Paper flowers)

“Do not weep my Love for our daughter is now home. Soon you will join me when it is time. She placed the book that she had given their daughter on her daughter's bed, placing the ancient words in it so that they would appear when it was time to bring him home. She then stepped through the arch and closed it. She moved back to the woods and watched her daughter as the flowers moved through the air on the wind, as though dancing. “Welcome home Rin…”